Sign in to follow this  
TrailerParkDarling

RILO KILEY

RILO KILEY

rilo-kiley.jpg

Rilo Kiley is an indie rock band made up of members Jenny Lewis (vocals, guitar), Blake Sennett (vocals, guitar), Pierre de Reeder (bass, keyboards) , and Jason Boesel (drums).

Ok, so they may have broken up in 2011, but they are still one of the best female-fronted bands since Blondie tbh.  Although you may recognize the lead singer as a child actress (Troop Beverly Hills, The Golden Girls, etc.), the band is best known for their incisive lyrics, fierce vocal stylings, deft guitar playing, melodic bass, and thunderous drumming.  

And they have just come out with RKIVES, a collection of unreleased tracks + b sides- and I still pray that they will one day reunite. (Even though I highly recommend Jenny's solo stuff + her album with boyfriend Johnathan Rice) Here is just a sampling of their flawless repertoire:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZchYpsqCZ_E

What are your favorite Rilo Kiley songs???? How far down do you bow, etc.

If anyone needs help to DL links (including one for RKives) I can help you! 

There is genuinely not one RK song that I don't like so I hope someone here loves them too!  

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

You're thread is so lonely! :( 

I just started listening to them again...I tried back in 2011, and it didn't go down well. :$

Then again, I was, like, 13 years old, so I'm way more mature etc. now. :hooker: 

I just started again with 'Under the Blacklight...' I'm really enjoying it! Jenny's voice - forgive me for saying it - can be a little annoying at times, but I think they're definitely a band I'm interested in appreciating. 

You're thread is so lonely! :( 

I just started listening to them again...I tried back in 2011, and it didn't go down well. :$

Then again, I was, like, 13 years old, so I'm way more mature etc. now. :hooker: 

I just started again with 'Under the Blacklight...' I'm really enjoying it! Jenny's voice - forgive me for saying it - can be a little annoying at times, but I think they're definitely a band I'm interested in appreciating. 

lmao flop post <///3 

I will forgive u 4 dat i guess, i want jenny 2 sing at my funeral. p.s. under the blacklight is considered their worst album by critics, fans, and even rilo kiley themselves so don't judge too harshly based on that ;) (even tho i still think that album is kick a**)

Oh wow I've been jamming to "Jenny You're Barely Alive" since I was 14 without knowing the singer had that iconic role on The Golden Girls. One of my favorite episodes :rip:

Listening to their whole discography, one song at a time...I'm really impressed. :worship: 

As a ratio, how many songs does Blake sing as compared to the ones Jenny does? O.o

Listening to their whole discography, one song at a time...I'm really impressed. :worship: 

As a ratio, how many songs does Blake sing as compared to the ones Jenny does? O.o

Hmmm probably 1:8. blake's voice annoys me, it's so whiny but some songs i've grown accustomed to it i.e. 'asshole' ..others like 'steve' i always skip

Hmmm probably 1:8. blake's voice annoys me, it's so whiny but some songs i've grown accustomed to it i.e. 'asshole' ..others like 'steve' i always skip

His voice seems like that of a pubescent boy, who's stuck with the same timbre for far longer than he should have. :creep: It is kinda whiny, but seeing how much everyone seems to love 'Rest of My Life,' he must have some fans. 

I feel like I'd like them if I listened to all their stuff.

I like Glendora

You would...you should at least listen to their last (and possibly best, depending on whose side you take) album first, like I did. :creep: 

Also, this thread needs WAY more activity - if I've ever found one band that deserves to be called under-rated, it's these guys. :(

So sad they're done for...still hoping for 'Rkives Vol II', though. :hoe: 

Also, if there's one song Lana ever wrote that could be for another artist, it's "Velvet Crowbar"...I realized today that Jenny's voice would make it fantastic, and the lyrics are totally Rilo. :flutter:

Also, if there's one song Lana ever wrote that could be for another artist, it's "Velvet Crowbar"...I realized today that Jenny's voice would make it fantastic, and the lyrics are totally Rilo. :flutter:

fuck you're right, this sounds so good in my head. w/ jennys maddened screams and such. sigh. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duhu_ejP1qg

perfect song, so simple but so so good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1AHkgWeXwo

rilo can do rock or ballads or pop or whatever they want, they're just that good. "it's so FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!" one of my favorite bands of all time, IA w/ madrigal~ more of u should look into them and b blessed by their light~~

fuck you're right, this sounds so good in my head. w/ jennys maddened screams and such. sigh.

:bop:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duhu_ejP1qg

perfect song, so simple but so so good

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1AHkgWeXwo

rilo can do rock or ballads or pop or whatever they want, they're just that good. "it's so FUCKING BEAUTIFUL!" one of my favorite bands of all time, IA w/ madrigal~ more of u should look into them and b blessed by their light~~

I love their acoustic stuff, and the whole 'Execution of All Things' album is simply brilliant. My single complaint is the existence of the mystery that is 'And That's How I Choose to Remember It'. :eek: I love the song, but I've never been able to cut it apart and piece it back together...it truly does add an element of unity to the album, but I still feel like it solidifies their place as most trolling band ever...what other band would release a cassette of otherwise unleaked demos, and put separate hidden tracks on the CD and vinyl editions of their own B-sides, without giving either track a title. :facepalm: At least I found a way to rip the instrumental demo of ATHICTRI from the website...if any of you guys want it, h.m.u. :hooker:

Right now, I'm trying to love their older stuff more. Someone's helping me find a link to the Sandbox Sessions, their earliest demos, and I'm spending more of my time trying to immerse myself in 'The Initial Friend' and 'Take Offs and Landings'. Jenny's voice, much like Regina's, has changed a lot since the start of her career, but unlike Regi's tonal change, I think Jenny sounds far better now than she did in the '90s. :creep: 

I think 'Emotional' might be my all-time favourite song, but it's very hard to pick a favourite from such a stellar repertoire. 'A Man / Then Me / Then Jim' is also a personal favourite - rarely have I ever heard an artist be so moved by a story she's delivering through the eyes of a third-person narrator. And I can't forget the genuinely gorgeous 'Pull Me in Tighter' demo (from the aforementioned accursed cassette)...it sounds like a happier sibling to 'Let Me Back In', and I can't believe it didn't make 'More Adventurous'. :( 

Madrigal sent me the stuff, I'll join tha discourse. "Portions for Foxes" is my fave.

Glad you like it. :legend: But though that's a wonderful song, there are so many better....perhaps not equal in total sexual frustration, but the break-up anthems like 'Silver Lining' and 'Breakin' Up' from their last album do the whole getting-over-You tune no better justice than it's ever been paid. 

Do you guyz like 'Rkives' as much as I do? Cuz I love it, a lot. :P I've started listening to the tracks I missed on the first listen or twenty, and now I'm really falling in love. 

Glad you like it. :legend: But though that's a wonderful song, there are so many better....perhaps not equal in total sexual frustration, but the break-up anthems like 'Silver Lining' and 'Breakin' Up' from their last album do the whole getting-over-You tune no better justice than it's ever been paid.

Yes tbh I listen to More Adventurous the most so far but I need to fully immerse myself in more of their work. For instance, haven't quite gotten into Rkives yet.

I really like a few tracks on More Adventurous particularly I Never, Does He Love You, and Portions for Foxes, but never got SUPER into them. I love the Postal Service though, and Nothing Better is one of my favorite songs (As I'm sure y'all know, Jenny Lewis of Rilo Kiley does the female vocals).