digitalartpop

Paradise tour merchandise

but why so expensive? :giveup:

I know right? All just because they can. They're the only vendor there (the only vendor that will maybe ever sell those officially? Where does tour merch end up after the tour is over?), and they know full well people will want a momento. Same reason things are so expensive at tourist attractions >.<

She should have a lil store like what Kassidy have done tbh.

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

Technically speaking, merch is so expensive because it is meant to bring the money back in that got lost through piracy of the music. At the same time ticket prices and prices of the music increase, as well. We must not forget that the internet has brought many innovations with it the music industry is taking advantage of, but just like that it has pretty caused a few harms also. 

This is an interesting theory but I doubt you really can draw these conclusions ("piracy" => higher prices for merch). There are several studies who showed that this illegal sharing of music in fact helped artists getting recognition and convinced people to buy the music or go to a concert. So I don't think merch at those big concerts is so expensive because the "poor" megastars would starve otherwise ;) but just to get as much money as possible from the devoted fans. Years before the internet was invented Mylène Farmer f.ex. sold really expensive collector's items to her hardcore fans = to people who want to collect everything ever issued from their idol... (This always appeared to me as a way of almost "ripping of" fans. But on the other hand those guys who bought these collector's stuff were happy, even if they had to pay several 100 bucks for it so no one to blame here maybe.)

This is an interesting theory but I doubt you really can draw these conclusions ("piracy" => higher prices for merch). There are several studies who showed that this illegal sharing of music in fact helped artists getting recognition and convinced people to buy the music or go to a concert. So I don't think merch at those big concerts is so expensive because the "poor" megastars would starve otherwise ;) but just to get as much money as possible from the devoted fans. Years before the internet was invented Mylène Farmer f.ex. sold really expensive collector's items to her hardcore fans = to people who want to collect everything ever issued from their idol...

This isn't even about the artists themselves getting not enough money, but all other people involved. Yes, bootlegging in pre-web 2.0 time might have positively contributed to an artist's recognition, but since the 2000s that effect can no longer be seen. 

First of all, the internet had already been invented when Mylène Farmer began her career. But let's talk about her for a second. She is certainly one of the best examples in Europe for brilliant marketing. Thierry Suc knew exactly what he was doing when he began to manage her in 1985 (was it?). The reason why all this collector edition stuff works is because she is intentionally marketed as this "untouchable, mysterious and secretive" figure. To a certain degree she is all of that, but it delivers the perfect product packaging in itself. Of course people want to get a piece from that, and the massive fan cult that has emerged around her pretty much derives from her highly mythical appearance. She has become a household name. Let's be honest, her latest musical achievements are nowhere quality-wise where her old material is. Yet she is breaking her own records again and again, because 'Mylène Farmer' is written on the record sleeve.

However, I really have to disagree with your point of merch being sold to get money besides the music. Compare the prices of merch throughout the years, the price has doubled ever since. The prices demanded alone for a cheap t-shirt are insane, and it is used to get the money back in that got lost through piracy. This is no longer about concert bootlegs being passed around, this is about millions of people in Germany alone refusing to pay for intellectual property although it is easily available to them, even online. You can download music, but you cannot download merch or a concert experience. And that is why the market is more and more focussed on that. The music industry associates are still working on new models as to how to get people back to pay in times of web 2.0.

"First of all, the internet had already been invented when Mylène Farmer began her career."

Ah, come on, but not the "normal" world wide web that could be used by millions of people at low cost. No one shared mp3's in the 80's or early 90's ;) . I got my first email address in 1994 and I was the only one around having some sort of online access (using a modem :) ) It would have been extremely expensive to share a single song back then, let alone an entire album.

However, I really have to disagree with your point of merch being sold to get money besides the music. Compare the prices of merch throughout the years, the price has doubled ever since. The prices demanded alone for a cheap t-shirt are insane, and it is used to get the money back in that got lost through piracy. This is no longer about concert bootlegs being passed around, this is about millions of people in Germany alone refusing to pay for intellectual property although it is easily available to them, even online. You can download music, but you cannot download merch or a concert experience. And that is why the market is more and more focussed on that. The music industry associates are still working on new models as to how to get people back to pay in times of web 2.0.

I'm not so sure there's an easy, direct way to relate the music sales to filesharing - as I said there were several studies about illegal filesharing and their effects on the music business and they couldn't decide on the effects of illegal filesharing (f.ex. http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/EU-Studie-Online-Piraterie-schadet-dem-digitalen-Musikabsatz-nicht-1825271.html). But of course you're right that a lot of people have to be paid in the music business (especially when you're doing a huge tour like Lana's). But 70 $ for a shirt is, well, pretty heavy... I wouldn't pay that much for a shirt. Although it does look really nice. :) As NamiraWilhelm wrote - if people are willing to pay such prices there will be products offered at that price, especially if you're the only seller.

Let's be honest, her latest musical achievements are nowhere quality-wise where her old material is. Yet she is breaking her own records again and again, because 'Mylène Farmer' is written on the record sleeve.

You're definitely right about that! Mylene's latest musical efforts are quite disappointing... (After "Innamoramento" in 1999 the quality of her music steadily declined imho.)

Technically speaking, merch is so expensive because it is meant to bring the money back in that got lost through piracy of the music. At the same time ticket prices and prices of the music increase, as well. We must not forget that the internet has brought many innovations with it the music industry is taking advantage of, but just like that it has pretty caused a few harms also. 

You have a point. Artists don't make that much money from cd sales, it's more to bring in from concerts and merch? And some things are expensive because they can be expensive. You see this in fashion too, they charge people for a ridiculous amount of money because they know people will buy their stuff anyway. Chanel, Tiffany's, Christian Louboutin... 

And the tickets were cheap in my opinion, so I don't complain. I guess it sucks more for the younger fans who don't have a part time job, I know there were a lot of girls there at the age of 15 etc.

1olt2g.jpg

Just found this LDR webstore which I think is official.

I want the zippo lighter AND the hip flask even though I don't usually smoke or drink. So rad! :justride:

link pls

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

That site actually does look official :/ Why have we not heard of it?

What a shame they've only got the Bradley print... I just want Lana, thanks. But yay now I can wear her shirt to the concert! Whoot.

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

I know this might be a stupid question but do you think this poster is signed by Lana herself or just printed?

it says it's signed and it's really expensive so i think so

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Here's a picture of the Litho and the signature. It really is beautiful, and even if I do hate that guy he does fit the mood of the picture. We all loved him in blue jeans :ohno:  The texture is great and it's nowhere near as flimsy and easy to break as a regular poster. I brought it with me on a plane, and tada, still perfect.

35m1vu0.jpg

v6mbk7.jpg

s4z0bo.jpg

Here's a picture of another signed picture by her (bought on ebay by a trusted seller *I hope*) The colors are upped in contrast to show off the signature.

2aa0mfc.jpg

Other signatures HERE, HERE and HERE. I was puzzled by how the signature seemed different, but imagine signing 150 for each concert (?) or in a sitting, it gets kinda boring. It looks like it's rushed, and you can clearly see that it's by a marker that's kinda worn out up close. She change her style too, the loop of the Y is not always curled at the end. Meh, I trust her not to rip us off. 

The top - now this is big in size. I bought it in medium, and it's kinda roomy. If you're tiny I would recommend getting it in XS, go down a size if you don't want it too big. The print is sturdy and it's not crappy made - there's even a label on it that says it's ethically made. i guess this means no child labour? That's a good thing in my opinion.

wjtkxi.jpg

11v4dna.jpg

Aaaand that was it. 

1olt2g.jpg

that blue jeans poster is so photoshopped

thx for the pics though!