Sign in to follow this  
Adrift

Boston Marathon Explosion

Im going to say what people think and dont say: fuck those muslims. Deny them visa everywhere. They are crazy and medievel. Let them bomb, explode, hurt and kill their own kind in there fucking country. Fuck those crazy bastards who treatevery one like shit specially women. Let them explode themselves. Muslims are like Grasshoppers if we dont stop them now they will spread thejir crazyness all over the world. Let them stay in shit iraq,, saudi arabia or fucking chechenia. Deny those bastards visas to every country that has democracy. Let them make community in congo and senegal where people think is normal to rape little girls cut peoples members and explode others.

This guy should get death penalty. I am against death penalty but in his case i dont see any other alternative. What the fuck now people in USA should be afraid of going to marathons because of these fuckers.? english and french people should hide under their beds because some crazy lunatics think shit like this is some mother fucker they call god will?

Wish the jews blow them all tbh. Would send israel a thank you note

Vile. I, too, wish HDB hadn't banned this trash. Only so I could do it with fucking gusto.

This guy was a complete shit stain on this forum since the day he joined. I figured it was only a matter of time before he'd get banned. I am surprised his sexist, racist, bigoted, and other problematic bullshit lasted this long. Good riddance. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

What a disgusting human being. There might be more radical muslims, but they still do not represent the other millions of muslims, nor do they give you the right to generalize.

So apparently this is the controversial cover of the next issue of Rolling Stone:

r1188cover-306x-1374073020.jpg

Article here. Thoughts?

Pretty fucking weird. The political / news stuff doesn't usually make the cover? 

Slating the new Jay-Z album too  :sideeye:

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

Not American, so I can't say I have given this a whole lot of thought, but I did read this article in The New Yorker yesterday and I pretty much agree with its general idea.

Agree with you and I think is not only a matter of freedom of expression but also a matter of information. If you don't like politics understand that the world you live in will be created by the ones who do like it.

In my opinion is a valide and important article for many reasons but is also a double sword in the glorify case. A magazine can control their articles only until a certain point, the responsability for what you write. If a crazy person understands that as a glorification you have no control over that so is a double sword.  IMO music and cinema are always connected to politics there for a important political subject grace the cover of a music magazine is not unnatural.

I think people talk to little or read to little about important issues that actually will affect their lives. Too much hunny boo boo and too litttle about the effects of political issues. To me the bombing and this boy are nothing more than collateral effects of politics. His actions were somewhat political and the effects of his actions are also somewhat political.  Those people who lost their lifes, their loved ones and their legs and foots are a collateral effect as well. 

People dont ask themselves, often enought, why the Obama Government invest more in weapons, also mass destruction, than the Bush Government.

Why a guy with a pretty sweet life will do something like this? The why's IMO are what matters the most. Since understanding why you can help to prevent or even better fix the situation.

It's the easy way out to criticize Rolling Stone and not ask why a music magazine is doing real journalism, telling a story, and not the magazines, tv news and news papers devoted to journalism? WHY?

The same easy way out is to say he is a radical muslim, there for he is scum and crazy. You gonna find a few people who dislike (hate) radical anything more than me, but that doesnt mean I dont want to understand how someone becomes one. Is it a disease? Did the actions of US in Iraq and Afeghanoistan left scares that will never heal? Did those wars created the monsters of today? All those villages destroied, all those families that lost everything. Mothers and fathers who lost their daughters and sons, kids who lost their parents, bombing entaire villages. You cant actually think that such actions wouldn't provoque rage, hate can you?

In a global world such subject is not only a US problem even if the fact occurred in US. Its everyones problem because all those people victim of the wars are asking for political asylum in countries that had nothing to do with the war between US and the middle east. The fact didn't belong to everyone but the effects do. We all suffer the effects there for I feel like I should learn about it and specially understand.

I think is a good article and I am glad that they publish it

glgcDdT.gif

Why a guy with a pretty sweet life will do something like this? The why's IMO are what matters the most. Since understanding why you can help to prevent or even better fix the situation.

Oh look, another instance in which the American media is trying to humanize white killers. I'm not here for this shit. 

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

Oh look, another instance in which the American media is trying to humanize white killers. I'm not here for this shit. 

I think the point of controversy is the cover and not so much the article. And sure, we can turn this into a racial issue but that would be oversimplifying imo; for instance, does American media usually try to 'humanize' Muslim killers as well?

Personally, I don't think censorship and/or misinformation by willingly sticking our heads in the sand when the subject at hand gets too disturbing or controversial is the way to go, ever.

On the other hand, I do understand why the cover shocks and enrages so many people; not so much because of the so called 'glorification' or 'rock star treatment' of a killer but for the reasons that New Yorker article pointed out - because this particular monster actually looks human and doesn't quite fit our mental image of a mass-murderer, which makes everything all the more troubling and difficult to deal with.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

If he was black would you think different about the article? If he was asian your opinion wouldve change? Mine wouldnt thats why I didnt mention race or color. That would be an easy way out. His face was the cover of magazines around the world not only in US. The bombing issue is a lot deeper, IMO, than race issue. But that is just me.

glgcDdT.gif

I don't really care about the cover and I take no offense to it. I just strongly believe that were he Arab, the likelihood of an article presumably written with the stance of "misunderstood", "is it really their fault when society/environment made them do this", or even "grappling with mental illness" or any other variant or shoddy attempt to "understand" under the guise of humanizing someone for the explicit reason of them being white would be dramatically lower. ~What went wrong with this bright young man with a great future ahead of him??~

This is one instance I think him being Muslim takes a backseat -- were he Palestinian and of the same complexion (as many Palestinians are) -- instead of a European Muslim, I don't think he'd be treated to the same attempts to ~understand him~. Let's be real, I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of Americans know jackshit about Chechnya, let alone it exists and is largely Muslim. (I use Palestine to compare as I think of the Chechens as the Palestinians of Europe, for obvious reasons). The fact he is European, and from an area that people are uneducated about is enough to override his being Muslim, IMO. Americans don't think Chechnya and then "MUSLIM", the way that one might do with a Palestinian. Most don't even know of it's existence! (Americans are poorly educated in world affairs and conflicts, besides, any education is skewed and biased in favour of ~American exceptionalism~.)  For this reason I would argue that he's not primarily seen as "Muslim" and so it is not as large a piece of puzzle portrayed in the media as it potentially could be. He's just another white European that happens to be Muslim, instead of a MUSLIM, if that makes any sense.

Anyway, my apologies for detracting from the discussion of the cover and it was not my intent to oversimplify this into a race issue. I only meant to point out another facet of a complex issue.

If he was black would you think different about the article? If he was asian your opinion wouldve change? Mine wouldnt thats why I didnt mention race or color. That would be an easy way out. His face was the cover of magazines around the world not only in US. The bombing issue is a lot deeper, IMO, than race issue. But that is just me.

Sorry, I didn't see this! Yes, I would think differently of the article were he black or asian. I would welcome an article that extends the need to understand the social/psychological/environmental/underlying issues behind a heinous act that white males in Western societies are often afforded to a visible minority. Too often we get slapped with labels like ~ANGRY BLACK MAN~ or ~DISGRUNTLED IMMIGRANT~ or whatever, completely dismissed, and the cases are not examined with the same understanding that white people get. I would love an article like this were this the case.

IMO, it's a grave mistake not to examine race/color in these issues. It doesn't make one any more enlightened or just if one chooses to exclude race from the equation when studying the portrayals in the media, the justice system, etc. There is a disgusting amount of bias and privilege in these areas; how can one be critical if you dimiss a huge aspect of mistreatment? In the eyes of the media, we are not all equal. We are not all treated the same the media. A black man will nearly always be shown in an unfavourable light when compared to a white man. A pretty white woman that is missing while jogging will not command the same attention from the media as a missing Aboriginal woman. We need to acknowledge these differences, not dismiss them and say that "race/color don't matter", "we live in a post-racial world" (LOL, a favourite of mine), etc. To do so, in my eyes, undermines the credibility of your arguments and points. 

It's not an "easy way out", the easy way out is ignoring it entirely, as you've chosen to do. Issues of race/color need to be examined in conjunction with social/"economical"/political/psychological reasons, it is not enough to solely focus on the latter. We need to understand intersectionalities and privilege to truly be critical when examining these matters and having a more complete understanding of the issues at hand.

Your points make a lot of sense, @@maru. I have to say that in Europe the religion angle was always very apparent, which is why I mentioned it. I mean, to most people in Western Europe, if you're called Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, come from Chechnya and look like that, you're barely even considered European and "Muslim" is pretty much the first thing that comes to mind; yet another type of discrimination and prejudice, for sure.

However, I still don't think that the lack of questioning which occurs whenever one of these crimes is committed by a person of another race/colour (because of ingrained societal racism, completely agree with you there) will be solved by not asking any questions or trying to understand said social/psychological/environmental/etc. angles behind such a massacre when it's committed by white people. To me, that would be a case of 'two wrongs don't make a right', which is why I personally can't criticise such an article on racism claims.

Btw, the article is much less apologist / romanticising than I'd expected. It was actually a very interesting read.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

However, I still don't think that the lack of questioning which occurs whenever one of these crimes is committed by a person of another race/colour (because of ingrained societal racism, completely agree with you there) will be solved by not asking any questions or trying to understand said social/psychological/environmental/etc. angles behind such a massacre when it's committed by white people. To me, that would be a case of 'two wrongs don't make a right', which is why I personally can't criticise such an article on racism claims.

I definitely agree with you on this, I just had a really visceral reaction when I heard about the Rolling Stone cover/feature.