James Dean

Recurring Lyrical Themes and Words

First of all, I'm from Vietnam. But I was born and raised in the north, not the south. However the southern cultures and histories are always captivating subjects for me to look into. 

About Saigon, that is one of the former names of Ho Chi Minh city. It is the largest city in Vietnam, along with the capital city Hanoi of the north in the category of most dynamic cities here in South East Asia. The name of the city is actually Sài Gòn. Black and white, in Han-Viet dictionary, Sài means 'wood,tree,jungle,..' while Gòn means ''silk-cotton". Mostly based on the fact that in the past, this beautiful land has a lot of kapok trees, forest after forest. But there's actually lots of theories about the real meaning of that name. I can't say it for sure cause I don't know exactly the purpose of people who named the land at that moment. But the name is a beautiful word play in Vietnamese, it's neat and poetic, lots of poets and writers use that word in their works here in our concepts of literature.

We started using that name since forever, we used that name when the land was invaded before 1955, it became the capital of French colony of Cochinchina. It later became an independant public from '55 to '75, still under the name Saigon, however it back then was an anti-communist state and declared lots of battles with the North. In those 20 years, the government was under influences of some Western countries and America. The president was actually a puppet, so that independance just became nonsense again. France and the US used it against its own brother, the north. Kind of like North and South Korea. But we were lucky enough not to end up like Korea right now. After 1975, the war ended with the Communist victory. In 1976, it merged with the other pronvices of the old government and was officially renamed Ho Chi Minh city after Uncle Ho, our revolutionary leader at that time.

To sum up, you can see that the land was full of wars until 1975. Battles after battles, millions of people die from so many sides. Not only Saigon but all the other lands of Vietnam had that same story. So that explained the National Anthem's lyrics - 'the land of sweetness and danger'. Also in NA, she sang about the Bell Tower Hotel, it's an vintage hotel, a historical proof witness throughout all the dark times of the city. But it's still standing after so many years, that's why she sang "Keep me safe in his Bell Tower Hotel"

About the term "Queen of Saigon", she used that line in 3 songs - National Anthem, Live Or Die, West Coast. In my opinion, Saigon is a big deal until today, lots of countries in this world want it because of its geographical position which would be an edge to people who have it if any war occurs. The Russian, the Chinese, the American, they all desire that land somehow. Queen of Saigon is the queen of something important, something exquisite, something that is worth dreaming about. But Saigon is also a name of the past, we don't usually use that name anymore here in Vietnam because of the history was too violent and heart-rending, which makes that queen no longer exist. She is now the queen of the past, of something that used to matter. The queen was replaced, it's gone but not forgotten, but still an icon that will be discussed about.

Also, there's a play called Miss Saigon. It's pretty famous. It is about the love of an Asian girl with an American guy. The love scenes were set on the background of guns and wars at that time, that love is dangerous and forbidden based on those circumstances. How strange that in National Anthem video, Lana asked A$AP Rocky to play JFK and to have an interracial relationship with her.

giphy.gif

Is no one gonna mention her obsession with the world "blue/blues"?

Old Money: "Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine"

Terrence Loves You: "But I still got jazz when I've got those blues"

Shades Of Cool: "My baby lives in shades of blue. Blue eyes and jazz and attitude"

Get Free: "Out of the black, into the blue"

Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems: "Blue is the color of the planet from the view above"/"Blue is the color of the shirt of the man I love"

Blue Jeans: "Blue jeans, white shirt"

Blue Velvet: "She wore Blue Velvet"

Ride: "Singing blues has been getting old"

I can't think of any other songs right now but there are definitely more

Fayyt7N.png

Shades Of Cool: "My baby lives in shades of blue. Blue eyes and jazz and attitude"

Beautiful People, Beautiful Problems: "Blue is the color of the planet from the view above"/"Blue is the color of the shirt of the man I love"

I want to count & write down every song with "blue" of hers but it'd take DAYS

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

Lana in particular, but not only her, other artists seem to be obsessed with blue as well. It's kinda fascinating LOL.

Oh well It's my her favorite color and my her favorite tone of song lol

✧・゚:* ヽ(*・ω・)ノ*:・゚✧

I did the best I could but I'm severely blue'd out. My ears & eyes started to ignore it but I at least got a majority of the infamous blues if not all.

Unreleased:

Birds Of A Feather: "Met you in front of a diner & you had blue hair"

Blizzard: "Can't you see that I'm just feeling blue"

Methamphetamines: "Blue 50's queen, blue oyster globe...blue 50's song

White Pontiac Heaven: "Blue hydrangea..I'm your red, white, & blue girl...I'm your little queen red, white blue...white & blue...white & blue...white & blue... White & blue"

Bentley: "He drove up/ I got into his/we got out of his Summer sky blue Bentley"

Trash Magic: "Blue bedspread & silver tinsel"

Axl Rose Husband: "Blue Hydrangea...me your red, white, & blue girl...I'm your little queen red, white, & blue..white & blue...white & blue....white & blue... In blue denim I meet you..."

Elvis: "Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea"

1949 (Final)/(Concept Demo): "You like my blue nail polish....new blue bathing suit...blue lake car to Carter Docks"

Pin Up Galore: "Jersey American flags, blue blue streamers...blue blue streamers....here's to the girl with the blue mascara"

Roller Dirby: "Blue Blue streamers"

Super Movie: "& only I wasn't me, I had come out blue...yellow, red, or blue"

Greenwich: "Blue hydrangea...blue hydrangea"

Hundred Dollar Bill/C-Note: "Blue Chevy Nova.... You turn my mood from black to blue, you turn my mood from black to blue"

Baby Blue Love: "Baby blue, baby blue...in your thunderbird baby blue thunderbird baby blue, baby blue...blue n' leather...baby blue, baby blue...baby blue, baby blue...in your thunderbird baby blue thunderbird baby blue, baby blue"

Daddy Issues: "They call you baby blue...baby blue...Baby blue, baby blue (Baby blue baby blue)...baby blue...baby blue...baby blue...baby blue"

Scarface: "light it up red, white, & blue"

Making Out: "The way I sing the blues...saw you skippin' rope on tv, looking blue"

Television Heaven: "Baby you're a vision in blues"

On Our Way: "You light my red fire babe, hot, white, & blue..."

Tired Of Singing The Blues: "I'm tired, tired of singing the blues...I'm tired, tired of singing the blues...I'm tired, tired of singing the blues"

Meet Me In The Pale Moonlight:

"Servin' coke & fries at the movie blue drive-in"

Driving In Cars With Boys: "Miss America with the blue mascara on"

Living Without You: "Wade until the waters blue"

Hollywood's Dead: "50's cool in blue suede shoes"

Queen Of Disaster: "Make me wild like the deep blue sea"

T.V. In Black & White: " 'Til the waves turned blue"

You & Me: "Blue water from the sea"

Serial Killer: "We can paint the town in blue"

I Don't Wanna Go (Tonight): "In his soft leather, in his blue jeans"

Fine China: "Blue...blue"

Your Girl: "Paint my teal/toe nails a blue"

AKA:

If you count titles, "Pawn Shop Blues"

Yayo: "I like the ivy & the ink blue"

Born To Die:

Off To The Races: "Bright blue ripples"

Blue Jeans: "Blue Jeans, white shirt"

Video Games: "Kissing in the blue dark"

National Anthem: "Red, white, blue is in the sky...red, white, blue is in the sky...red, white, blue is in the sky"

This Is What Makes Us Girls: "Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice"

Paradise:

Blue Velvet: "She wore blue velvet bluer than velvet was the night...she wore blue velvet bluer than velvet were her eyes...blue velvet...& I still can see blue velvet through my tears"

Yayo: "I like the snake on your tattoo I like the Ivy and the ink blue"

Ultraviolence:

Shades Of Cool: "My baby lives in shades of blue, blue eyes & jazz & attitude...I'm one of many; one is blue"

West Coast: "Boy blue, yeah you"

Old Money: "Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine...blue hydrangea, cold cash divine"

Black Beauty: "Oh, what can I do? Nothing, my sparrow blue...sun & ocean blue...you can't let everything seem so dark blue...sun & ocean blue...sun & ocean blue"

Guns & Roses: "See you walking on that Blue Pacific"

Honeymoon:

Honeymoon: "We could cruise to the blues...dark blue dark blue...dark blue dark blue"

Terrence Loves You: "I still got jazz when I've got those blues...but I still got jazz when I've got those blues...but I still got jazz when I've got those blues"

God Knows I Tried: "Red, blue, & yellow skies...red, blue, & yellow lights"

Freak: "Flames so hot that they turn blue...talk 'till we both turn blue...leather black & eyes of blue(blue, blue,blue)...talk till we both turn blue...talk 'till we both turn blue"

Salvatore: "Ruby, blue & green, neon too...like aquamarine, ocean's blue...shady blue...jazz & blues"

The Blackest Day: "Got my blue nail polish on"

Swan Song: "Dive in, dive deep & dark blue my sweet"

Lust For Life:

Love: "Seen so much you could get the blues"

Lust For Life: "Blue skies forever...blue skies forever"

In My Feelings: "Got me feelin' so blue"

Beautiful People Beautiful Problems:

"Blue is the color of the planet...blue is the collar of the shirt of the man I love"

Get Free: Into the blue (into the blue...into the blue (into the blue)...into the blue (into the blue...into the blue (into the blue)

tumblr_put6epa8mC1uz4347o9_500.gif

I did the best I could but I'm severely blue'd out. My ears & eyes started to ignore it but I at least got a majority of the infamous blues if not all.

Unreleased:

White Pontiac Heaven: "Blue hydrangea..I'm your red, white, & blue girl...I'm your little queen red, white blue...white & blue...white & blue...white & blue... White & blue"

Bentley: "He drove up/ I got into his/we got out of his Summer sky blue Bentley"

Axl Rose Husband: "Blue Hydrangea...me your red, white, & blue girl...I'm your little queen red, white, & blue..white & blue...white & blue....white & blue... In blue denim I meet you..."

1949 (Final)/(Concept Demo): "You like my blue nail polish....new blue bathing suit...blue lake car to Carter Docks"

Pin Up Galore: "Jersey American flags, blue blue streamers...blue blue streamers....here's to the girl with the blue mascara"

Hundred Dollar Bill/C-Note: "Blue Chevy Nova.... You turn my mood from black to blue, you turn my mood from black to blue"

Baby Blue Love: "Baby blue, baby blue...in your thunderbird baby blue thunderbird baby blue, baby blue...blue n' leather...baby blue, baby blue...baby blue, baby blue...in your thunderbird baby blue thunderbird baby blue, baby blue"

Daddy Issues: "They call you baby blue...baby blue...Baby blue, baby blue (Baby blue baby blue)...baby blue...baby blue...baby blue...baby blue"

Making Out: "The way I sing the blues...saw you skippin' rope on tv, looking blue"

Tired Of Singing The Blues: "I'm tired, tired of singing the blues...I'm tired, tired of singing the blues...I'm tired, tired of singing the blues"

AKA:

Born To Die:

National Anthem: "Red, white, blue is in the sky...red, white, blue is in the sky...red, white, blue is in the sky"

Paradise:

Blue Velvet: "She wore blue velvet bluer than velvet was the night...she wore blue velvet bluer than velvet were her eyes...blue velvet...& I still can see blue velvet through my tears"

Ultraviolence:

Shades Of Cool: "My baby lives in shades of blue, blue eyes & jazz & attitude...I'm one of many; one is blue"

Old Money: "Blue hydrangea, cold cash divine...blue hydrangea, cold cash divine"

Black Beauty: "Oh, what can I do? Nothing, my sparrow blue...sun & ocean blue...you can't let everything seem so dark blue...sun & ocean blue...sun & ocean blue"

Honeymoon:

Honeymoon: "We could cruise to the blues...dark blue dark blue...dark blue dark blue"

Terrence Loves You: "I still got jazz when I've got those blues...but I still got jazz when I've got those blues...but I still got jazz when I've got those blues"

Freak: "Flames so hot that they turn blue...talk 'till we both turn blue...leather black & eyes of blue(blue, blue,blue)...talk till we both turn blue...talk 'till we both turn blue"

Salvatore: "Ruby, blue & green, neon too...like aquamarine, ocean's blue...shady blue...jazz & blues"

Lust For Life:

"Blue is the color of the planet...blue is the collar of the shirt of the man I love"

Get Free: Into the blue (into the blue...into the blue (into the blue)...into the blue (into the blue...into the blue (into the blue)

did you really listen through every song?

If you had searched blue in the Lyrics forum it would've listed them all for you (not now obvs because its broke)

High up in the Hollywood hills, Taking violet pills

+ gods & monsters: "dope, shoot it up"

Alcohol

video games - "open up a beer, say get over here"

off to the races - "off the races, cases of bacardi chasers", "perfume, cognac, lilac, fumes"

this is what makes us girls - "pabst blue ribbon on ice", "drinking cherry schanpps in the velvet night"

motel 6 - "motel 6, slow gin fiz"

noir - "miss parlor-tricks, sips of the bacardi (?)"

kinda outta luck - "diamonds on my wrist, whiskey on my tongue"

dum dum - "from the store, we'll make margaritas, you wanna take a shot?"

Places

axl rose husband - "florida keys are calling"

"I'm your little queen" - Axl Rose Husband

:runs:

Hey Lana, 'The Blackest Day' says hello. :crying4:

Unreleased:

AKA:

Born To Die:

Paradise:

Ultraviolence:

Honeymoon:

Lust For Life:

thats really nice, thank you for that <3

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif

+ "I AM YOUR QUEEEN AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

uh oh uh oh AH uh oh uh oh 

sweet neighborhood luv dreams made up

ISSA MATCHMADE IN HEAVEN IF TEHYRE GUNNA TALK LET UM 

fjkldjfkdjfkdjfldkjfldkjf

341e352c9925b3ef7bc5edfb50e3597e.jpg

She mentions Tv a good number of times

Television Heaven: Nothing but that t-t-television on - Television heaven with you ! 

Tv In Black and White: Living without you is like Tv in black and white 

Mermaid Motel: Heavy metal hour on Tv 

Every Man Gets His Wish: You like to watch me while I watch Tv while youre t -t- touching me

Chemtrails Over the Country Club: Washing my hair, doing the laundry,  Late night Tv, I want you on me