teethclick

Björk

The song definitely is something to digest for sure so I understand why lots of people seem to be underwhelmed. The simplicity of the production and the silence at times seem to be some of the biggest reasons why people are having problems with this one, many pointing their fingers at Arca. I'm not taking any part in that conversation though, since I haven't really listened to his own music and when I tried listening to his most recent album, I just felt like I wasn't in the right mood for it so I didn't even listen a single track in full. So I don't really even care how much of The Gate is Arca and how much of it is Björk herself, and even though it's Arca who has apparently encouraged her to go for this kind of direction, for now I put all my trust and faith in her decision-making abilities. The Gate probably doesn't quite work on its own as a single, but to me it sounds like the perfect opening track for the new record and a good transitioning from Vulnicura.

Yes, Vulnicura was a very personal and intimate record but The Gate is definitely an intimate song as well. Even though Vulnicura's lyrics, compositions etc. are very heart-rending - in a very positive way, jfc I love the record so, so so much I can't even describe it -, this time the weight of the song is pretty much all on her vocals alone because of the simplicity of the production. I can't even imagine how intimate and magical it would feel like to experience the song live, seeing and hearing her put her heart out in these lyrics and vocals without Vulnicura-like rich compositions.

I'm currently on my 16th listen and even though I think I now quite like and enjoy the song, I still quite hope we'd get at least one song more before the album release in November. 2 months of waiting with a song like this doesn't sound nor feel very thrilling, so I'd like for them to put out something more "radio friendly" - which isn't a word in Björk's dictionary, I know -, most preferably the "crushing jackhammer rhytm" one produced by Rabit which I think at the moment is the one I'm looking forward to the most.

Still can't wait to get my vinyl single in the mail tho  :deadbanana:

The song definitely is something to digest for sure so I understand why lots of people seem to be underwhelmed. The simplicity of the production and the silence at times seem to be some of the biggest reasons why people are having problems with this one, many pointing their fingers at Arca

You are TOTALLY wrong, people didnt liked because it sounds like an Arca demo , not because its simple cause Bjork have thousands of songs written with a simple melody and still they are amazing. 

I'm not taking any part in that conversation though, since I haven't really listened to his own music and when I tried listening to his most recent album, I just felt like I wasn't in the right mood for it so I didn't even listen a single track in full. 

Well, then you should cause its totally a ripoff!

Listen to these 2:

Hey everyone! I recently just started listening to Björk and I immediately loved her even from just the first listen. The first song I listened to was "venus as a boy" and I love that song...

Do you guys have any recommendations of other songs from her that I should listen to?  :)

xo

Hey everyone! I recently just started listening to Björk and I immediately loved her even from just the first listen. The first song I listened to was "venus as a boy" and I love that song...

Do you guys have any recommendations of other songs from her that I should listen to? :)

the albums Post and Homogenic are really good, especially when you're a newer fan.

after those, I would give a listen to Vespertine.

as far as specific songs:

- Hyperballad

- It's Oh So Quiet

- Isobel

- Possibly Maybe

- Joga

- Unravel

- Alarm Call

- All Is Full of Love

- Hidden Place

- Cocoon

- Pagan Poetry

- Aurora

- Unison

- Oceania

- Wanderlust

- Crystalline

- Mutual Core

- Stonemilker

- Lionsong

the albums Post and Homogenic are really good, especially when you're a newer fan.

after those, I would give a listen to Vespertine.

as far as specific songs:

- Hyperballad

- It's Oh So Quiet

- Isobel

- Possibly Maybe

- Joga

- Unravel

- Alarm Call

- All Is Full of Love

- Hidden Place

- Cocoon

- Pagan Poetry

- Aurora

- Unison

- Oceania

- Wanderlust

- Crystalline

- Mutual Core

- Stonemilker

- Lionsong

Thanks so much! I'll check all these out! :)

xo

You are TOTALLY wrong, people didnt liked because it sounds like an Arca demo , not because its simple cause Bjork have thousands of songs written with a simple melody and still they are amazing. 

Well, then you should cause its totally a ripoff!

Listen to these 2:

Actually my intention wasn't to make it sound like the simple production and silent parts are for Arca to blame, sorry if it came out like that - I was merely just mentioning him aside. I'll check those tracks out sometime.

Do you guys have any recommendations of other songs from her that I should listen to?  :)

Start off with (in tracklist order, my highlights underlined)

Debut: Human Behaviour, Violently Happy, Play Dead

Homogenic*: Hunter, Jóga, Bachelorette, 5 Years, Pluto

Vespertine: Hidden Place, Pagan Poetry

Medúlla: Where Is The Line, Oceania, Mouth's Cradle, Triumph of a Heart

Volta: Wanderlust, Vertebræ by Vertebræ, Declare Independence - Earth Intruders and Innocence if you want something with a "pop" kinda vibe

Biophilia: Crystalline, Virus, Mutual Core

Vulnicura*: Stonemilker, Lionsong, History of Touches, Notget, Mouth Mantra, Quicksand

*my favorites

---

Yay it's midnight here now so in addition to pre-ordering both the album and the vinyl single, I can now also pay for the digital single.  :lmao: Seriously tho. Support the artists you love, people.  :hooker:

I'm used to hate Arca, but I LOVE this track so much,

The ambiance, all the sounds, textures and volumes... Heavenly-darkly comfortable.

I can't wait to hear more about the wood instruments. Really optimist.

So Broken - Mouth Cradle - Verandi - Scatterheart (movie version) - Storm - Bath - Ambergris March - Harm Of Will - Vetrebrae by Vertebrae - Submarine - Dull Flame of Desire - Thunderbolt - I Remember You - Dark Matter - Amphibian (both versions) - Trance <3

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

people that think it's arca's fault that the song "isn't good"

clearly don't understand the relationship between these

two. arca and bjork are both in love with and inspired by one

another. arca has said in interviews that it was odd to meet

one of your biggest inspirations and realize they are just as 

inspired by you. it's a very synergetic pairing, as they feed

off one another. the production is equally arca as it is bjork.

and it's a very beautiful song. i'm shocked y'all don't like it 

tumblr_p615xzBWT11x3xtvio2_500.gif?w=670

DEFINITELY NOT HER NEW ONE.

people that think it's arca's fault that the song "isn't good"

clearly don't understand the relationship between these

two. arca and bjork are both in love with and inspired by one

another. arca has said in interviews that it was odd to meet

one of your biggest inspirations and realize they are just as 

inspired by you. it's a very synergetic pairing, as they feed

off one another. the production is equally arca as it is bjork.

and it's a very beautiful song. i'm shocked y'all don't like it 

Ok very cool pad out story

Björk and Andrew had a live interview on Facebook and the video's coming online on monday, Björk specifically said that it's her album even though she's written and produced it with Arca and the record's title is Utopia for now because she likes how it's such a cliché but she could change her mind about it. I'm very satisfied with the current title :flutter:

Kind of disappointed in the album title, especially after the disappointment of The Gate (it's a decent song but it's not what I had hoped)

I'm wondering if this album might have needed a few more months for her to really flesh it out creatively :(

Btw the video is apparently just Björk and hell of a lot of CGI and the dress she's wearing took overall about 870 hours to make. There are some clips of the video circulating on Instagram and it looks stunning and some have said that it's her best video in years, I can't wait to see the full thing on Monday in high quality!