teethclick

Björk

s6NOq3P.png

- Where Vulnicura painted black lakes, barren landscapes, and frozen rooms, Utopia seeks out a lush island where love is abundant and given without condition or hesitation

- Utopia is saturated with a honeymoon glow, even as it occasionally calls back to darker moments from across Björk’s career

- Some of the bird sounds on the album were recorded at her cabin in Iceland; "There are a couple of pairs of Arctic Loons that live just outside there. They’re really beautiful and huge. They obviously ended up on the album."

- Björk wrote 60% of the album on her own and Arca 40%

- “The Gate is the bridge from one album to the other, in a way, even though I didn’t write that song first. The wound featured in almost every video for Vulnicura changed into a gate that you can love from. Then the rest of the songs are in a new place."

- Arisen My Senses is the first song she wrote for the record; "The melody’s like a constellation in the sky. It’s almost like an optimist rebellion against the normal narrative melody. There’s not one melody. It’s like five melodies. I really loved that."

- "When I was writing Utopia and still singing the Vulnicura songs, I felt like I was having an affair from my own grief. Maybe that even exaggerated the contrast: You sing a really, really tragic song and you go home and you stand on your head and make a beat out of a ping-pong machine."

- "There are definitely songs on this album which are about platonic love and then there’s also real romantic love, all the way. And also maternal love. It’s a real mixture."

- Björk on collecting mythological stories and books about utopia; "It was really satisfying to discover that a lot of the stories were about women in the tribe stealing the flutes. They escaped with the children and went to a utopian place. Sometimes they got found out and something terrible happened, like violence. But in some stories, they managed to create a world where there was no violence or war. I was really excited by that. I also think people who end up being flute players are such interesting characters. They’re always eccentric."

- "There were definitely three stages [of writing]. There’s the utopian, futuristic, sexy part where we’re heading off to this island where everybody’s naked and there’s no violence, like a sci-fi novel. We were reading these black lesbian sci-fi books and really going off into that direction. The second part is more real and human. And then in the third section, songs like Body Memory and Loss are more of a continuation of previous albums."

- "Loss is very much a continuation of Pagan Poetry, a certain sort of girl goth music."

- "And Body Memory was a really strange song for me. I did not know what to do with that song. In the beginning it was 20 minutes long, and I ended up recording a 60-piece choir [the Hamrahlid Choir] on it."

- "Black Lake on Vulnicura was the darkest and saddest I’ve ever gone. Body Memory is a reply to that. It is my manifesto. My subconscious was like, “OK, I’ll let you write the saddest song ever for 10 minutes if you then write something to counter that.” And then this song came out all in one go. Each verse is about big things in life: destiny, love, sex. It’s a bit big-headed. It’s about, “OK, how am I going to live the second half of my life?” It’s a new territory, a door that’s opened."

s6NOq3P.png

- Where Vulnicura painted black lakes, barren landscapes, and frozen rooms, Utopia seeks out a lush island where love is abundant and given without condition or hesitation
- Utopia is saturated with a honeymoon glow, even as it occasionally calls back to darker moments from across Björk’s career
- Some of the bird sounds on the album were recorded at her cabin in Iceland; "There are a couple of pairs of Arctic Loons that live just outside there. They’re really beautiful and huge. They obviously ended up on the album."
- Björk wrote 60% of the album on her own and Arca 40%
- “The Gate is the bridge from one album to the other, in a way, even though I didn’t write that song first. The wound featured in almost every video for Vulnicura changed into a gate that you can love from. Then the rest of the songs are in a new place."

- Arisen My Senses is the first song she wrote for the record; "The melody’s like a constellation in the sky. It’s almost like an optimist rebellion against the normal narrative melody. There’s not one melody. It’s like five melodies. I really loved that."
- "When I was writing Utopia and still singing the Vulnicura songs, I felt like I was having an affair from my own grief. Maybe that even exaggerated the contrast: You sing a really, really tragic song and you go home and you stand on your head and make a beat out of a ping-pong machine."
- "There are definitely songs on this album which are about platonic love and then there’s also real romantic love, all the way. And also maternal love. It’s a real mixture."
- Björk on collecting mythological stories and books about utopia; "It was really satisfying to discover that a lot of the stories were about women in the tribe stealing the flutes. They escaped with the children and went to a utopian place. Sometimes they got found out and something terrible happened, like violence. But in some stories, they managed to create a world where there was no violence or war. I was really excited by that. I also think people who end up being flute players are such interesting characters. They’re always eccentric."

- "There were definitely three stages [of writing]. There’s the utopian, futuristic, sexy part where we’re heading off to this island where everybody’s naked and there’s no violence, like a sci-fi novel. We were reading these black lesbian sci-fi books and really going off into that direction. The second part is more real and human. And then in the third section, songs like Body Memory and Loss are more of a continuation of previous albums."
- "Loss is very much a continuation of Pagan Poetry, a certain sort of girl goth music."
- "And Body Memory was a really strange song for me. I did not know what to do with that song. In the beginning it was 20 minutes long, and I ended up recording a 60-piece choir [the Hamrahlid Choir] on it."
- "Black Lake on Vulnicura was the darkest and saddest I’ve ever gone. Body Memory is a reply to that. It is my manifesto. My subconscious was like, “OK, I’ll let you write the saddest song ever for 10 minutes if you then write something to counter that.” And then this song came out all in one go. Each verse is about big things in life: destiny, love, sex. It’s a bit big-headed. It’s about, “OK, how am I going to live the second half of my life?” It’s a new territory, a door that’s opened."

So interesting, I love the fact she speaks about this album like she did w/ Medulla - Biophilia. It looks so rich.

Vulnicura was so unilateral. 6 more-or-less-bitter songs about break-up, and the 3 lasts tracks where coming out of the blue.

LDR-ALOHA2.jpg

"Where Vulnicura painted black lakes, barren landscapes, and frozen rooms, Utopia seeks out a lush island where love is abundant and given without condition or hesitation" - yes maam I'm buying that

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Björk did a DJ mix for MixMag which is available here, and it also includes a short preview of Loss after Arca's Anoche! Edited it and uploaded it on picosong so you can listen to it here. I think I've said it before but Loss is probably the one I'm looking forward to the most so I'm loving the fact that it's continuation to Pagan Poetry in a way which is definitely one of my favorites from her. Man I'm really loving that flute intro, it sounds so good...  :icant:  :excited:

Edit: Tabula rasa lyrics

5_Q-VOEyTRWH6IrCR_vehQ.png

Actually laughed at "not just take it lying down" because it reminds me of this scene on Absolutely Fabulous  :thumb3:

O9vdjIg.png

Are you s

OMFG IT LEAKED WITH THE TRACKLIST IN REVERSE. ALREADY HEARING IT, FUUUUCK EXAMS, UTOPIA IS HEREEEEE   :monica:

Are you serious?   :defeated: Can you pm the link?  :defeated:

I just started listening to it and the first seconds already blew me away :defeated: omg queen. It's already past midnight here so I'm just listening to it in the dark with headphones and covered in soft warm blankets, all is well

This is the motherfucking album of the year whew sorry sza and lana 

sza, lana, and kelela*  :teehee:

5.11.14 // 9.20.14 // 6.11.15 // 6.13.15 // 6.14.15 // 1.26.18 // 9.21.19

Oh jesus christ just give her all the awards possible. Hands down a masterpiece :defeated: On first listen I was the most captivated by Arisen my senses, Utopia, Body Memory, Loss and Sue me. The last two tracks felt like fillers but perhaps they'll grow on me as time goes by. Will listen again in the morning and probably for the rest of the sunday lol