Sign in to follow this  
LDRO

Lana Del Rey Covers 'FASHION' Magazine

Fashion-Magazine-Summer-2013-Lana-Del-Re

PHOTOGRAPHED BY MARK WILLIAMS AND SARA KIRAKAWA, STYLED BY HEIDI MEEK WITH FASHION DIRECTION BY ZEINA ESMAIL, LANA DEL REY WEARS A TOP, $165, BY CATHERINE MALANDRINO AND SKIRT, $325, BY PINK TARTAN. CREATIVE CONSULTANT, JOHNNY BLUEEYES. HAIR BY ANNA COFONE FOR EMMA DAVIES AGENCY/ORIBE. MAKEUP BY PAMELA COCHRANE FOR NARS COSMETICS. MANICURE BY ASHLIE JOHNSON FOR THE WALL GROUP/CHANEL. FASHION ASSISTANT, MELISSA WATANABE.

There are so many questions surrounding Lana Del Rey. As one of the most enigmatic pop stars of this generation, the 27-year-old talent stands as a sphinx in a sea of overexposed bold face names. Taking a break from recording “

“—her just-released track off The Great Gatsby soundtrack—the Queen of Sadcore escaped from the confines of the L.A. studio she was toiling in to spend a day shooting with FASHION magazine in Malibu’s Zuma Beach area. The breath-taking beachfront spot Del Rey handpicked for the cover seemed to transport the crew into her dreamy world of ‘50s pinups and MGM icons, evoking the essence of Lana Del Rey videos off her debut, Born To Die, her latest E.P. Paradise and her new duet, “Summer Wine,” which features her boyfriend Barrie-James O’Neill.

Features Editor, Elio Iannacci had a chance to witness the magic unfold and chat with Del Rey after her epic 10-page photo shoot was done.

Here are a few of the highlights from the upcoming Summer 2013 cover story:

On the inspiration behind her cover look: 
“Every shoot I do, I have a theme. I’ve been watching old Spanish films and my new record has a Spanish guitar on it so that actress-signorita vibe so its been on my mind. We always listen to The Eagles “Hotel California” while we get ready.

Fashion-Magazine-Summer-2013-Lana-Del-Re

BRA AND BRIEFS, BOTH PRICE ON REQUEST, AND EARRINGS, $1,200, BY DOLCE & GABBANA

On women she admires: 
“I believe in Amy Winehouse. I know she’s not with us anymore but I believe she was who she was and in that way she got it right. I would say an actress like Lauren Bacall also got it right. She never let anyone [persuade] her to be something she wasn’t. She was strong. She always looked like she knew what she was doing.”

On being called anti-feminist: “I get it. It looks like I’ve chosen a path of submission. But I’m a modern day woman in so many senses. I pay my way and work hard for things but it is my choice that at the end of the day I have a dominant male in my life that is hands-on. Someone who wants what he wants the way I do. I get so tired of trying to have it only my way, it’s nice to have someone else who also has their life and opinions. I have to be so assertive in life that its nice to feel escape through a really passionate romance.”

On her romance with Scottish rocker Barrie-James O’Neill: “He’s on tour and opens for me. We sing some Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood duets together. I’ve been seeing him for a year and a half and he’s even more of a meticulous, devout artist than I am.  He can’t keep his hands off the piano, ever. Whenever I’m not writing he always asks, ‘why aren’t you writing?’ We kick each others asses. We give each other input every night.”

On her musical philosophy: “Einstein said ‘your imagination is more important than intelligence,’ and I have a very, very big imagination. I love to live in my internal world and will never stop seeking influences and visions for my art.

She looks stunning. So stunning. :crying:

On being called anti-feminist: “I get it. It looks like I’ve chosen a path of submission. But I’m a modern day woman in so many senses. I pay my way and work hard for things but it is my choice that at the end of the day I have a dominant male in my life that is hands-on. Someone who wants what he wants the way I do. I get so tired of trying to have it only my way, it’s nice to have someone else who also has their life and opinions. I have to be so assertive in life that its nice to feel escape through a really passionate romance.”

Fabulous answer tbh. :oprah:

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

"I pay my way and work hard for things but it is my choice that at the end of the day I have a dominant male in my life that is hands-on." - "You have no idea of what it's like to seek safety in other people." :brows:

Anyways, awesome cover! It looks a lot like L'Officiel and I really love that!

They could do different theme. And I dont like the cover photo. Its not well-taken in my opinion,  it doesnt flatter her too much.  :toofunny:  But the second one is givin me life  :creep:

I live in Canada so if people want this magazine, let me know!

TZk1z.png

the 27-year-old talent

:O I'm amazed. Someone finally got her age right. :mariah:

Or is this only because her birthday comes shortly after this will be published?  :usrs:

my new record has a Spanish guitar on it

Ooh! Me likey.

I believe in Amy Winehouse. I know she’s not with us anymore but I believe she was who she was and in that way she got it right.

I believe in the person Amy Winehouse used to be...

There she goes again, fetishizing another 27 Club member. Luckily, we all know she'll be 28 soon. So don't you dare try that shit, Lana.  :crossed:

wgP67TT.png

Damn, that Ford model friend of hers is such a fucking scold. :smh:

We sing some Nancy Sinatra and Lee Hazelwood duets together.

Duets. Plural. Please give me more material for another covers-themed Reydio show, Lana. "Some Velvet Morning", preferably.  :angie: 

We give each other input every night.

Oh, I bet they do.  :brows:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.