4. Sober
  5. Liability
  6. Homemade Dynamite
  7. Hard Feelings/Loveless
  8. Green Light
  9. The Louvre
  10. Sober II (Melodrama)
  11. Liability (Reprise)

This will probably change though, as I grow to appreciate all of the particular details in the tracks

Unpopular opinion: Homemade Dynamite is not one of my favourites from the album, it's actually one of my least favourites. Not that HD is bad, it's just that the rest of the songs are so much more amazing to me

FzytWEW.png

Faves:

The Louvre

Green Light

Sober II (Melodrama)

Sober

Perfect Places

Homemade Dynamite

Liability

Liability (Reprise)

Supercut

Least Faves:

Writer In The Dark

Hard Feelings/Loveless

tumblr_oruz59Twq01ufr8xgo1_540.png

Faves:

The Louvre

Green Light

Sober II (Melodrama)

Sober

Perfect Places

Homemade Dynamite

Liability

Liability (Reprise)

Supercut

Least Faves:

Writer In The Dark

Hard Feelings/Loveless

Sorry what

FzytWEW.png

Why she needs to have weekday tour date in München?? :O The only time of the year, when I cannot go is fro September til December on weekdays. Grrrr

2ikzg5s.png

I don't think Melodrama sucks, but it's metacritic score (as of this writing 91, with 22 reviews) sure surprises the heck out of me. It's like the critics are trying to manipulate me.  I'd give it about a 75 (i.e., if I had listened to it a couple of times without seeing any reviews, which of course I didn't do, I would guess/estimate, I'd have given it a 75). If I had to guess why so high a metascore, I would say the lyrics. Related to the lyrics is the social engineering aspect of the record, whereby critics usually mention Lorde being authentic, and/or more real in some sense than most pop stars (and therefore a good influence?). So the reviews are displaying halo effects of seeing the singing and music as actually better than they are, even if I think the singing and the music are pretty decent and/or distinctive (just not 90).  I might see giving it an 80-85 (as a critic I mean), if I understood and *valued* the social engineering aspects of the album, but I don't. I went to Lorde's twitter to try to find out how she was receiving the overwhelmingly positive criticism, the answer is surprisingly subdued, but she did identify one blog writer (or is she a famous music journalist, idk, her articles seem broad and interesting). She did a remarkably good job at explaining why a stan might give this album a 10/10. I still don't get it, but I get why she gets it.

Anyway, these are interesting times for LDR to be dropping an album in (she also has halo effect, but often of the negative kind). Melodrama is a tough act to follow as far as exceeding Lorde metacritically. I kind of wished (no, I actually definitely wished it) LDR could have re-released AKA contemporaneously with Melodrama just to troll Lorde (Taylor-style) a bit. I also think it's possible Lorde's stanning (or is this taunting?) LDR a bit (regardless of which, I think she get's LDR's penchant for ambiguity). What do people make of this (pinned June 15th!) tweet?

#MoreLordeCriticalRamblings

While there was a lot of good production to M, it has a kind of "paint by the numbers" feel for me. Sober and Homemade Dynamite seem reasonable continuations of PH style. Louvre, Liability, and Supercuts seem creditable extensions in style.  I especially like Hard Feelings/Loveless for it's experimental influences. One review I saw mentioned a Phil Collins drum sample in it (which I recognized) before a Paul Simon vocalization (which I didn't), but I also hear Peter-Gabriel-like textures in it (i.e., from his scarey/freaky middle period). And finally (my tongue is clearly in cheek, but maybe not), there's possibly an LDR song-reference to Lolita in the spelling out of the word "loveless" (i.e., an anti-Lolita reference). However, that song (Loveless) suffers from a fade-out or a die-out tactic used in other songs on Melodrama, which, on an album of short length, I can dock it for a little. Writer in the Dark was also interesting, though being compared to Kate Bush in 7 reviews (5 times for that song specifically) was irksome to me. While I might accept a Regina Spektor comparison (but more for Liability), a comparison of Writer in the Dark to one of Lady Gaga's slow burners would have made more sense to me based on music and singing style (Million Reasons, and especially Dope, say hello). Just saying.

My favorites from Melodrama are Green Light, Sober, The Louvre, Liability, Hard Feelings, Loveless, Writer in the Dark and Perfect Places. Not a big fan of Homemade Dynamite, Sober II (Melodrama), Supercut and Liability (Reprise) right now but I heard some people saying that some tracks might grow on you. So maybe someday I'll like them. I was also planning to go to Lorde this year because Lorde is visiting my country this year, but unfortunately, she decided to come one day after a Lady Gaga concert in the Ziggo Dome. I already have to pay probably fifty euros for the train when going to the Lady Gaga concert, so for me going to the another concert to is probably impossible. The venue is also like 180 kilometers away from my place.

I hope people appreciate Jack Antonoff a little bit more after this record. He really killed it with Lorde here and his own record that came out a few weeks ago is also phenomenal. He's a genius alone, and together they made near perfection.

H0bDaqU.gif

Jack antonoff sucks. His productions are so lifeless and off-putting. This minimalist trend needs to die already

Lmao this album is literally the opposite of minimalist, she spoke about this exact thing in the podcast linked above. Jack's work couldn't be further from minimal.

H0bDaqU.gif

After listening to it a few times, my favs still are

1. Sober

2. Melodrama

3. Green Light

4. Writer In The Dark

5. Lieability

6. Homemade Dynamite

The rest of the tracks are all ok but depending on my mood I either really like them or think they are boring.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!