sweetlana

Lana Del Rey Interviewed By Electronics Beats Magazine

Professional feminists are those how are trying to make a profession out of representing feminism. They are trying to gain something such as a career in politics or make some money through foundations or just trying to be artificially important on forums.

:usrsney:

I can't even with this, tbh..

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

are you serious?

definitely, it's still an ignorant and misinformed statement to make

No offence, but you are naive? You believe that in politics everything is what is seems to be? You can build a good career by representing issues and, of course, is not hurting to belive in them. 
This is your assessment and your ideology about feminsm, you cannot make others ignorant just because they have a different point of view.

No offence, but you are naive? You believe that in politics everything is what is seems to be? You can build a good career by representing issues and, of course, is not hurting to belive in them. 
This is your assessment and your ideology about feminsm, you cannot make others ignorant just because they have a different point of view.

we're not even talking about politicians, we're talking about normal women (lana and us) and their views on feminism

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Okay, let’s talk about feminism. What’s your take on feminism?

To be honest, I don’t really have one. I have a great appreciation for our world’s history. I learn from my own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes we’ve made as a human race. But I think we’ve gotten to a good place as women and we’ll just keep naturally progressing. That’s kind of how I feel about it.

this quote upset me because i think that's how a lot of women feel. we haven't gotten to this "good place" by natural progression but by women fighting for their and our rights in the past. if women don't keep standing up for themselves, we are not going to progress and she doesn't seem to care about that at all and just takes it for granted.

I completely agree with this.

I simply assumed that was her - inadequate, that's for sure - way of dodging the question, since so many celebrities (Lana included) have recently been targeted for "saying the wrong thing" (either out of ignorance, carelessness or misinterpretation) re: feminism, as well as other social and political issues. I can understand not wanting to be at the centre of yet another controversy.

OR she could just be rather ignorant about the subject and not want to delve into something she doesn't know all that much about; OR she could just not be interested in it at all (which would be quite ironic in an autonomous, self-sufficient woman - but still entirely possible); OR she could have no interest in the role of feminist / social icon; OR an infinity of other reasons.

My point being: it's impossible to know for sure what she meant or which are her real views on feminism (if she has any) based on this.

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

I don't expect Lana to have "feminist messages" in her songs. I don't expect Lana to identify as a feminist or be an outspoken advocate for women's issues. I don't expect her to be well acquainted with feminist ideologies and the different waves. I just expect her to not be COMPLACENT when talking about the current state of being a woman in this day and age. (oddly worded, but i hope you get what i mean)

4teas4p.png

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

we're not even talking about politicians, we're talking about normal women (lana and us) and their views on feminism

I forgot the feminist bloggers from the "professional" feminist category. Those pieces after attacking Lana with some wooden language blah blah, in most cases the "real" problem were her lips. What a phoney bunch.

Nobody is immune to critique. But Lana was not simply criticized in the American media, she was made a liar, musically incompetent etc. You cannot love her music and in the same time agree to this type of "critique".

she lies a lot tho. It's true statement she lies there for is not a critique in my opinion is a statement. Second her reaction over all the critique was what made all the second wave of critique possible. She always places herself as a victim. Victim of what? Blogs that talk about her father having money and paying for one album? Since when being wealthy is a crime? Since when be called rich is a offense? Also Pisses me off people who dont give value to education because it does matter a lot. So saying she didnt had any money and hidding over the poor little me its kind of a turn off to me. She traveled, got to university and a good high school. Annoys me she says she was poor when she clearly wans't. She shouls say she is proud of having a good education and wishing others could also have one. It';s a good thing her parents could help her not the other way around.

I don't think she has the obligation to answer any question. I would totally understand if she simple didn't answer questions about her family or her personal life  but when she lies all the time makes people wonder about her character. Be silent or tell the truth because if you lie you can't really complain when people call you a liar.

Professional feminists are those how are trying to make a profession out of representing feminism. They are trying to gain something such as a career in politics or make some money through foundations or just trying to be artificially important on forums.

I agree with that partially. lIMO ,like most movements, Feminism was created to fight for equal rights. In most countries of the western world those rights are a reality. IMO many women hide under feminism to justify the fact that just maybe they don't try or work hard enought. But equal rights is not the reality for women in general. Or even men if you think about it since in most countries where womens have no rights children and sometimes even men don't have theirs either. So in such places is more a question of human rights than actually womens rights or feminism.

Lana referred clearly, in my view, towards the condition of women in the western developed world (US, Western Europe).

I agree with that. I think Lana was talking about her own world which is the world she lives in. And to be fair about her lyrics and the way she, apparently sees/stands the feminist issue ins't one of the bases of feminism the right of choice? And to write songs in a way that makes her look like a bit of a doormat the exercise of the right of choice to live as she wants? So in a way feminism also allow her to be whatever she wants even if for some what she wants is the opposite of the feminism. For example I love Jessie J as judge in the Voice UK but everytime she says to a female contestant they should pick her as a coach not because she is the best coach but because she is a women pisses me. I mean she is English and all those contestants are Brits. And as far as I know UK is one of the most fair countries when the subject is gender equality

Wow, that accusation with the taped applause at concerts is something new to me but this is hardly 'tons of criticism' and, mostly, the critical views are imported, by a few European journalists, from the American media.

That is kind of funny LOL

glgcDdT.gif

I agree with that partially. lIMO ,like most movements, Feminism was created to fight for equal rights. In most countries of the western world those rights are a reality. IMO many women hide under feminism to justify the fact that just maybe they don't try or work hard enought.

:eek:

It's fact women are paid less when they do the same jobs as men do; and that's everywhere.  A lot of men don't do their jobs well, but still get paid more than women. :(

I agree with MARU though on that subject. I don't expect her to be Simone De Bouvier or Andrea Dworkin but it's pretty disheartening [personally] that she doesn't have anything to say about that.

I agree with you too, Antonia that she should definitely be grateful of her education and opportunities she's had. Many people in the world can only wish for an education. :(

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

"Okay, let’s talk about feminism. What’s your take on feminism?

To be honest, I don’t really have one. I have a great appreciation for our world’s history. I learn from my own mistakes, I learn from the mistakes we’ve made as a human race. But I think we’ve gotten to a good place as women and we’ll just keep naturally progressing. That’s kind of how I feel about it."

LDR really did do a bad job at NOT suggesting the global scope, when she framed her answer. I see that now.  Given that, I also see the "feminism issue" as much more specific to her particular response to that particular question (and not general aspects of her work or persona). So the question is something like: why did she not mention how messed up women's rights are in other parts of the world (for example, being shot and killed for going to school). Like many have already said, I think she was focusing on her (undeniably better) part of the world. I would give her the benefit of that doubt because I was similarly focused. But suppose the question had been less vague and the interview less fixated on her career? Something like: Do you think women are treated nicely all over the world? She would have answered differently, I think.

I hope a future interviewer asks her something like: What are three things you regret saying in interviews, and how would you clarify them? One can hope her response would not be something she (or her fans) would later regret. At least then we'd find out if she reads her past interviews.

The thing about feminism/anti-feminism coming up in her interviews is that, from all indications in past interviews, she seems to really grossly oversimplify the issue and think of it only as an active, participatory thing, like: you’re only feminist if you say you are and actively talk about politicized women’s issues, or you’re only anti-feminist because you have come out in opposition to the movement. It reminds me of some of the comments some people were making about the Ride headdress issue, saying that there was nothing problematic about it because she wasn’t actually *saying* anything negative about native Americans...This line of thinking is absurdly reductive. I mean, you’d think, based on some of these arguments, that, say, racism only comes in the form of something as flagrant as a hooded klan member standing underneath a burning cross, or neo-nazi lyrics from a skinhead band. When one merely speaks or tells a story or presents an image, there are ideas imbedded within that content that can be extracted and examined from a myriad of different sociopolitical lenses. Any specialized analysis, if relevant, can be applied to lyrics, a novel, a film, etc. regardless of the speaker’s/writer’s/creator’s intent, and regardless of whether or not there is a transparent ideology being represented. You don’t have to explicitly say “I hate women” to be expressing anti-feminist views, or explicitly state feminist principles to be regarded as expressing feminist views (“Hey, i’m NOT a feminist, but...” Thanks Katy Perry!) To draw such simplistic connections is misinformed and dismissive.

Andrea Dworkin

:lmao: Would suddenly love to take a little trip to a parallel universe to see THAT version of Lana Del Rey and her non-existent fans. 

"The limits of my language mean the limits of my world." -Wittgenstein

I don't have time to respond to this entire post right now, but I couldn't not respond quickly to this part:

Hurling accusations of media slander against her and her family about things she continues to lie about in the same breath

What are those accusations and what are her lies? What you say is that all the criticism by the American media towards her is valid? Accusation such as: she cannot sing, she is auto tuned, she didn’t write her songs, she’s all fabricated and daddy paid for everything music, image etc., her music and lyrics are crap etc. Then, I may ask, why are you here?

Falsely claiming that she doesn't have money and that her family never had any money

Her father declared that his company owns approx. 8000 internet domains that are worth, at a minimum, between 15-40 mil. dollars (this is not actual cash in the bank!). Her family made educational portfolio gifts to universities, colleges and secondary schools in excess of 900.000 dollars (mostly they gave away domains, Grant Family Foundation.com). Can you buy an international pop star career with that money? No. Can you jump start one? Maybe. What amount of money had her family in the past is hard to know, because her father risked a lot around 2000 when the dot-com bubble busted. Her trailer park story can be a rebellion against her parents and status and maybe she and her father didn’t agree much on her life style and career choices (they dumped her in boarding school after all) and is possible that she (not her family) was poor by choice for a while. But that is speculation and irrelevant to her music.

You could, you know, respond to what I've actually written or ask me to clarify what I've written rather than putting words in my mouth and making straw arguments. I never said all the media criticism was valid nor did I endorse any of the accusations you listed. What I did say is that she accused the media of slander against her and her family about things she continues to lie about in the same breath, and that she falsely claimed that she doesn't have money and that her family never had any money. In the same response that she mentions media slander, she says, "Everything they wrote was fucking crazy. Like about my dad, about me, like having millions of dollars, and all this shit." While I don't doubt that there were lean periods for her family financially, or that her father may have sustained large losses in the market during the bursting of various bubbles, or that much of his net worth was merely on paper, or whatever caveats you'd like to add, I'm quite confident in concluding that her father did have at least a million dollars (if not millions), and what you yourself wrote supports that conclusion. Later in the interview she says, "Saying I came from billions of dollars is crazy. We never had any money." I think it's telling that she moves the goalposts from millions to billions mid-interview, because I think she knows her dad probably is worth a couple million. No one ever said she came from billions of dollars, although she certainly did rub elbows with her dad's business contacts who were billionaires. At any rate, even if I am somehow wrong about her dad having millions of dollars, her claim that her family "never had any money" is just patently false. One need not even consider her father's business assets to determine this. It is obvious considering the property her father owns and the cost of tuition at Kent. Again, I never said anywhere, and do not necessarily believe, that her dad significantly funded her career (though I also don't think he was completely uninvolved in her career either). If Lana defended herself against this accusation by saying "My dad didn't fund my career" I would simply leave it at that. But that's not what she says. She says, "We never had any money" when the opposite is true. And if lying about coming from privilege weren't shitty enough, she has the gall to accuse the media of slander for saying so.

And it gets worse. Later in the interview she says, "Before I had no money. And now everything I make, I lose. So I don’t have money again, because I lose half." Perhaps she's referring to all the other people she has to pay, but presumably she's referring to taxes. It's one thing when rich people bitch about how much they have to pay in taxes. (And I confess, most of you would probably consider me rich, and I've been known to express sticker shock about how much I've had to pay at one time, but not that it was unfair. In fact, I think I should have to pay more.) But it's a whole 'nother thing for the rich to not only claim that they're not rich after taxes, but that they don't have any money afterwards. Boo fucking hoo. Tell it to your topiary pony, Lana.

On a final note, I really take issue with this:

Then, I may ask, why are you here?

Frankly, this is an incredibly presumptuous and rude remark, especially considering this was your first post made mere hours after joining the forum. You might take some time to familiarize yourself with members' views and contributions to the forum before making insulting comments like that toward them. If you're going to wing in here and question other fans' presence on a discussion forum for expressing their honest criticism, then, I may ask, why are you here?

Welcome to LanaBoards! :)

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Tell it to your topiary pony, Lana.

:lmao: 

Welcome to LanaBoards! :)

:creep:  :creep:  :creep:  :creep:  :creep:  :creep:  :creep:  :creep:  :creep:

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…