Sign in to follow this  
elllipsis

The Strokes

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - to see that there's no Strokes topic here on the forum. I mean, there's basically a topic about every other band and artist BUT The Strokes. What gives?!

tumblr_ll0n913X7y1qd6yqio1_r1_400.gif

So, as LanaBoards (only?) resident Strokes stan I felt the obligation to open one.

Ta-da!

Strokes_KMazur_Getty-2002630x300.jpg

Any other fans here, casual or otherwise?

Favourite album / song(s)? Favourite solo project? And I feel like such a teenage fangirl asking this but hey, why the hell not favourite band member?

Anyway, here's one of my favourite songs - unreleased & absolutely beautiful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2g0aQdsnXc

And here's what's *probably* my all-time favourite performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgbEWdObQAQ

tumblr_lkzlucuoxl1qccsj6.gif

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

Can't say I'm a big fan, or even a fan at all (:(), but I have a great respect for them and their work. Ironically, they or selected members from their group have intersected careers with a plentitude of other artists I enjoy...here's some of the many examples. :defeated: 

• They were one of the first acts (along with Kings of Leon) to really help propel Regina to stardom, back before she signed her first major deal with Sire. Their song together is really good, too...I think Julian & Regi's voices compliment one another surprisingly well. 
  • One of my favourite Indie Rock bands of all time, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, also toured with them, I'm pretty sure...they both emerged during roughly the same time period, from the same NY Rock scene. The Strokes' lyrics are very different, though, right? Less esoteric & arty, more down-to-earth? 
  • Nick Valensi has played on Regina's fantastic 2006 LP, Begin to Hope, on the song "Better", as well as Sia's 2010 We Are Born album. There was a time when Sia was actually working with him on material for her next album, including a song called "Hostage", but sadly, I have a feeling those sessions won't be released any time soon, if ever. 
  • Julian worked on a brilliant track with Santigold back in '08, for Converse's 100th(?) anniversary. It was promoted as a collaboration between him, Santi, and Pharrell, and is beyond doubt the best song to emerge from Converse's "Three Artists. One Song." campaign. :flutter: 

I tried to get into one of their albums a long time ago, but just couldn't. :eek: Would you mind giving me about a ten song compilation, to try to like their music again? :hooker: I remember that the same thing happened when I was the same age with Rilo Kiley, and now they're one of my favourite musicians ever. 

@@Madrigal

I think Julian & Regi's voices compliment one another surprisingly well.

I totally agree, I love Modern Girls & Old Fashioned Men! It's a perfect song and that's mostly because of the voice combo imo. They had such chemistry onstage and apparently offstage as well.

The Strokes' lyrics are very different, though, right? Less esoteric & arty, more down-to-earth?

I don't know a whole lot about the Yeah Yeah Yeah's lyrics, but The Strokes' definitely aren't esoteric / arty. Is This It and Room On Fire, the first 2 albums, are basically about relationships, sex, drugs / alcohol, boredom & life in the city.

I tried to get into one of their albums a long time ago, but just couldn't. :eek: Would you mind giving me about a ten song compilation, to try to like their music again?

I don't know which album you listened to but you know, their music has changed *a lot* over the years... Their first 2 albums were post-punk revival, the 3rd one was already pretty different and more alternative rock with lots of experimentation, and their last 2 are basically a mix of rock + synthpop + new wave. So, I'll pick 2 songs from each and I'll make you that 10 song compilation; hopefully you'll like at least some of them!  :smile:

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png

@@Madrigal - Sent. :bop:

10 track compilation:

Barely Legal & Hard To Explain - from 'Is This It' (2001)
Reptilia & Under Control - from 'Room On Fire' (2003)
You Only Live Once & Red Light - from 'First Impressions Of Earth' (2006)
Machu Picchu & Life Is Simple In The Moonlight - from 'Angles' (2011)
Welcome To Japan & Chances - from 'Comedown Machine' (2013)

(If anyone else happens to be interested in this, just PM me.)

Casual fan speaking! Is This It is such a good album full of memories for me. I've always meant to get into their later albums but found it low on my priority list... :$ I don't know how you couldn't have given "Trying Your Luck" as a sampler, though! That's one of my favorites. Also love "Modern Girls & Old Fashioned Men", "What Ever Happened?", and "Ask Me Anything" from other releases, although that probably reads as an amateur list of popular songs.

angles is the best and i love little girl by julian on dark night of the soul, that whole album is amazing but the song really stands out 

:derpna2:

I don't know how you couldn't have given "Trying Your Luck" as a sampler, though! That's one of my favorites.

:pft:

'Is This It' was the most difficult one to choose from, for me... Every single song is so good it's not even funny. I basically excluded Last Nite and Someday because everyone already knows those and went for a mix of fan favourites (Hard To Explain is usually considered to be the best song on the album) and my own favourites (hesitated a lot between Barely Legal, Soma and The Modern Age).

angles is the best and i love little girl by julian on dark night of the soul, that whole album is amazing but the song really stands out 

Everyone should listen to that utter masterpiece of an album that is Dark Night Of The Soul. :worship:

Jules' song is also (unsurprisingly) my favourite. Everything that man touches turns to gold.

I looooooove that album.

In fact I got Julian's solo album because of it and it's pretty good. Only solo Strokes I've really ventured into.

I looooooove that album.

In fact I got Julian's solo album because of it and it's pretty good. Only solo Strokes I've really ventured into.

Jules' solo album is (imo) the best out of all of the guys' side projects (although probably also the weirdest and least easy to listen, in a way), but I just have to recommend Little Joy!

Little Joy is Fab Moretti + Rodrigo Amarante (of Brazilian rock band 'Los Hermanos') + Binki Shapiro (Fab's ex-gf and owner of an incredible voice).

Now, I don't usually like or trust Pk4's reviews, but the way they described their sound is simply spot on:

"The three of them spend their afternoons hanging out a down-at-heel neighborhood bar (it's called Little Joy), mixing their own cocktails, strumming on ukuleles, and singing along to a jukebox stuffed with Brazilian bossa nova, Portuguese fado, Julie London ballads, some early Mazzy Star, one of those Spanish Jonathan Richman albums, and the Velvet Underground's Loaded. And that's it... and it's pretty great."

It's super sweet and easy to listen, and also happens to be a perfect summer record.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-Rg0-fHQ00

@@SitarHero Oh shit, there goes my rep implying I have one :$ :facepalm: :ohno:

Um, yes. What can I say, I sometimes get sucked deep into the Julian YouTube wormhole. :defeated:

Like, 2 days ago I noticed he mentions a whole bunch of music during interviews & started writing it all down. Then slsk was my friend, and that was it.

PS - Oh cool, tell me what you think of it after you listen to it!