evilentity

Sleuthing Tips & Tricks

The Google trick is so good for everyday things too, not just Lana! It's really one of Google's best features.

Also, since Evil admit to having songs since April I guess it's okay to post how I got past the password on Rick's site. Most people who got the songs from Rick's site got it before he put passwords on the files but I was late to the party but- tl;dr, the image URL trick also works for audio files.

When someone's website is neatly organised, it's really easy to exploit and access certain files if you notice a pattern in the filenames. Rick had some publicly downloadable songs and their download links were always: '~/[SONG-NAME]-KM-mix-[3_DIGIT_NUMBER].mp3'.

So I exploited that pattern and tried: ~/Hollywood-KM-mix-001.mp3 and changed the number at the end until lo and behold ~/Hollywood-KM-mix-015.mp3 download the file straight to my hard drive without even having to enter a password. It worked for almost every password protected song on Rick's site. A lot of website's archives are set out in a similar way, each with their own naming pattern. (Jeff Peretz posted Stop Lite De-Lite simply as ~/Stop-Lite-De-Lite.mp3 on his site. Things really are as simple as they seem if you know where to look.) So if you find something, be sure to compare and try alternative URLs until you reach something (or tell me about it and I'll help ya sleuth, haha!)

The Google trick is so good for everyday things too, not just Lana! It's really one of Google's best features.

That is very true! It is really helpful when researching stuff for uni and school.

When streams are protected with RTMP, it's possible to use programs to captures those streams and save them.

What do you use? Only did it once to capture a NPR stream (not Lana related btw) and it was a whole lotta work. :ohno:

919ceea0464eb5a3daad20d59bcb188c.gif            3ca7984fc9b72d5b7ff1941e270eb9a2.png