Sign in to follow this  
elllipsis

Best and worst music videos (any genre, any era)

Because I'm feeling vicious this morning, here's a video I simply cannot stand.

I'd rather stab my eyes and ears with rusty nails than watch / listen to this shit ever again.

Okay, slight exaggeration, but you get the drift. :smokes:

kanye-west.jpg

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Alizée - Gourmandises

Alizée - Fifty Sixty

Mylene Farmer - Sans logique

Mylene Farmer - C'est une belle journée

Mylene Farmer - Optimistique-moi

France Gall - Laisse tomber les filles

Swedish House Mafia - Save The World

Ladyhawke - Dusk Till Dawn

Ladyhawke - Black, White & Blue

And the wind I know it’s cold

I stumbled across this video today that allegedly got released just two days ago. The song's called "Home Again" and is sung by Moby and Damien Jurado. With a budget of only 10$, it might in fact be one of the most charming music videos I've ever seen :flutter:

EQFO7rX.png

Best:

Johnny Cash - God's Gonna Cut You Down http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJlN9jdQFSc

Audioslave - Show Me How To Live http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVXIK1xCRpY

Nirvana - Heart Shaped Box http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6P0SitRwy8

Muse - Madness http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ek0SgwWmF9w

Tyler The Creator - Yonkers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSbZidsgMfw

Tool - Parabola http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EElaqhquY00

Video Games

Worst:

Belinda Carlisle - Heaven Is a Place On Earth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-WP6POdTgY seriously, it's so bad

Nickelback - Rockstar

Katy Perry - E. T.

Worst music videos? Marzia Gaggioli, anyone?

Seriously, it's just one of like 200 of her videos. There are many others that are much worse than this one. And the best part is that she is dead serious about what she does.

And yes, it's all her "clones" in the video. Even the black dudes.

How do you know me so well?

I still think Born To Die is the best video I've seen.

The gorgeousness of the footage, and the way the images compliment the song is amazing.

I remember it made a huge impression on me when I first saw it, especially when she died lel. Blown awayyyyyy

I still think Born To Die is the best video I've seen.

The gorgeousness of the footage, and the way the images compliment the song is amazing.

I remember it made a huge impression on me when I first saw it, especially when she died lel. Blown awayyyyyy

yes yes yes! it's one of Lana's most beautiful videos along with National Anthem. They beat Ride and all of Tropico hands down. Damn it, you made me want to binge on early Lana videos!

Non-Lana Best videos IMHO:

Placebo - Special Needs

This video compliments the song really well and makes it even more touching and heartbreaking (how is it even possible? ). I love how it expresses endless longing in erotic, but not vulgar way. I highly recommend it to all those who love alt rock and Lana's lonely side.

Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit

This band has a lot of haters, but IDGAF. Breaking the Habit is one of their best songs, and the video is just perfect. Love the Kill Bill dirty animation style, the plot, the self-harm girl and the cool way in which the band members are being featured. Very emotionally gripping.

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes

Do I have to say more? David Bowie at his best.

AFI - Girl's not Grey

They have a lot of cool videos, but this one gets high notes from me for creative and creepy usage of Alice in Wonderland and the Rei Ayanami clone ( :creepna:) character. Also, apparently the Wonderland exists in one of the band member's crotch??? :brows:

AFI - Miss Murder

LOVE LOVE LOVE the Yukio Mishima imagery. Also, Davey looks perfect. One of the most unforgettable videos by them~

The Birthday Massacre - Blue

Creepy and mindfuckery video by one of the best synth rock bands.

Madonna - Frozen

I'm not even Madonna's stan and this rules. Love the song and the gothic imagery. Power of Goodbye is also cool.

Britney Spears - Everytime

Very touching. Love how it showcases Britney's vulnerable side.

Tori Amos - Past the Mission

I love the women-empowering message behind the video. Just watch it and find out!

Hole - Violet

One of the many reasons why Courtney Love is an absolute queen. I adore how emotional she gets - it's no surprise she is also an actress!

The subversive girly aesthetics rule. It's interesting that the video is a predecessor to Emilie Autumn's Opheliac/Asylum world. It showcases all of her elements - sexual violence, slightly victorian world, etc.

There are probably more videos, but those are atop from my head.

i am nothing and should be everything

For me Lana and Mylene are absolute mistresses of the art of music videos and no one can compare to them. Of course, they both have some worse ones but if they create something good, it's very good indeed (or "fucking gorgous", to quote EA). "Born To Die", "National Anthem", "Ride", "Tropico", "Plus grandir", "Libertine", "Sans contrefaçon", "Pourvu qu'elles soient douces", "Sans logique", "Désenchantée", "Beyond My Control", "Que mon cœur lâche", "California", "Comme j'ai mal", "L'Âme-stram-gram", "Je te rends ton amour", "C'est une belle journée"...

And the wind I know it’s cold

Linkin Park - Breaking the Habit

This band has a lot of haters, but IDGAF. Breaking the Habit is one of their best songs, and the video is just perfect. Love the Kill Bill dirty animation style, the plot, the self-harm girl and the cool way in which the band members are being featured. Very emotionally gripping.

David Bowie - Ashes to Ashes

Do I have to say more? David Bowie at his best.

I was just watching some old music videos today and i ended up watching both of these! "Ashes to Ashes" is such a classic. I mean can you imagine Bowie telling the music video director how he wanted this scene to look like?  :P

All of Linkin Park's music videos as well tbh. "In the End" will always be my favorite though  :flutter:

EQFO7rX.png

I was just watching some old music videos today and i ended up watching both of these! "Ashes to Ashes" is such a classic. I mean can you imagine Bowie telling the music video director how he wanted this scene to look like?  :P

All of Linkin Park's music videos as well tbh. "In the End" will always be my favorite though  :flutter:

OMG, I totally haven't expected to see someone else who likes those videos (at the same time)!

I've read the Bowie biography and the two people in black clothes are actually from a popular back then gay club... it was in fashion to dress like those two (or it was their personal idea, but you get my drift).

In the End is also very cool.. I love the imagery, it's straight out of some video game.

However, I've just seen the video to

Crawling

and I think that I have a new favourite. How come I've never seen it before?

The moment the ballerina and jewlery box flashed on screen

lpc_crawling001.jpg

I knew it's gonna be good.

I love the message it gives, the powerful story of overcoming sexual trauma by the girl (of course it's my interpretation - the parts with the shower suggest it. The way the girl reacts to male touch also supports this), how Chester and Mike "interact" with each other (though I guess it's kind of cheesy), all the ice...

(Not to mention that the girl is a total babe! Recovery symbolism aside,  I prefer her in the gothic make-up  :D)

This video is pure perfection. It's such a shame that it's only available in low quality....

Worst Music Videos - Anything involving a rapper and girls wearing bikinis. Pitbull basically.

Best Music Videos:

I really like Night Time My Time by Sky Ferreira tbh.

Agree about worst videos.

The Sky Ferreira video really makes me think of David Lynch, especially since the song has something vaguely Julee Cruise about it...

Thats because the song was inspired by Twin Peaks which happens to be created by David Lynch so I guess it made sense to have a video showing that.

Oh, that's amazing! I love Twin Peaks. Now I really wanna get into Sky Ferreira more! Guess it's high time I listened to her record.

It was this scene that inspired the song and she directly quotes it at one point :)

I've seen this movie about two years ago, so of course I completely forgot about this scene. Amazing find!

It always makes me happy when Twin Peaks is referenced.