Sign in to follow this  
Rebel

Songs of Sentimental Value

Not sure if this should be in entertainment or conversation, but I wanted to make a thread so we all can share music that is sentimental to us, whether you just want to express your love for the melody or the lyrics or if the song has a personal meaning to you. It can be a song from your childhood or a song that you associate with an event or anything like that. I just really enjoy reading about people's psychological and personal association with music. *Prays that no one made this thread already*I 

I think one day, maybe thirty or forty years from now, we'll be singing Lana songs to our kids. *Hums Ride as I cry myself to sleep*

I'll start.

500 Miles 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwB2A9HHaCU

Donna Donna

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYnKll5PD3A

When I was really young my mom would sing both of these songs to me when I couldn't sleep and it's just one of the most beautiful yet haunting songs I've ever heard, and I really really love it. I listen to "500 Miles" once in a while when I miss my family because I'm like 8000 miles away from home. I don't really get homesick, but this song just puts me into a sleepy and sentimental mood. Donna Donna is some sort of Jewish theatre song apparently, and my mom would get the lyrics wrong because she learned it when she was young and sort of just hummed through it and everything. So yeah, these are my two sentimental songs from my childhood. I've got a few more but I don't want to write about all of them in one post.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Only Disney soundtracks inspire that kind of nostalgia in me :defeated:

But this song comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qq90fUDZBw

Got me through some really dark and friendless teen angst circa age 15. This is sort of backwards because the song itself is pretty crushingly depressing but it has a good ~persistence~ chorus: "Get through this night, there are no second chances." I pay a little tribute to lil me in shitty clothes every time I listen :xcry:

I don't think I need to explain why I like this song because the lyrics give away everything, basically. It breaks my heart just thinking about it.

Here's a translation of the lyrics:

If I Had At Least

Whoever has felt
No tremendous suffering
Only will have a glimpse
Of time
The slow hand
Whether it is snowing or blowing
The omnipresence
Stresses your absence
Anywhere

Whoever has not known
The unsettled kingdom
Whoever has not lost a thing
Cannot feel the pain
No reserve anymore, at all
Either god, or hatred, careless
No haughtyness anymore, I seemingly am
In grief...
A darkening

If I had at least
Seen your face again
Caught sight of any cloud
In the distance
But those
Who stand up
Are told « to hope »
Of whom it is said they bleed
Without a goodbye, to believe
And I, why do I live
Whenever the other replies, I die
Why does nothing troubles
Your heart any longer...

All my demons
The most hostile ones
Shatter the most delicate
Voices
Of all the most loyal
Angels of mine
And I, the lost soul,
Am engaged to the darkening...

I replayed this over and over again after Lawrence & I lost our first child. I started to regret the abortion I had had a few years ago & wondered if it were some kind of punishment for my choice. 

Being so close to having Lizzy, I am obviously so happy, but I am so scared of loosing her. I felt so much love in my heart for our first child &, in all honestly, I haven't been as happy as my happy during this pregnancy out of fear of losing Lizzy. We went to so many doctors, some telling us that we'll never have kids, others telling us to take this drug & that drug & others telling us to just keep trying. I was pregnant about 2 months afterwards, we weren't trying, but we weren't really using protection either. It was the first time we made love since losing her and it really hurt to be pregnant again at first. We didn't tell anyone until I was around 5 months along. 

Even now, I still can't say or write her name. I really miss her. 

A child inside her,

Was just too much for her

So she cried herself to sleep

And she made a decision

Some find hard to accept.

To young to know that one day

She might live to regret.

I've been given so much

A husband that I love

So why do I feel incomplete?

With every test and checkup

We're told not to give up

He wonders if it's him

And I wonder if it's me

And I want to know what it's like

To bring a dream to life.

For that kind of love,

What I'd give up!

I would die for that.

What I want most

Before my time is gone,

Is to hear the words

I love you, Mom.

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

The first song still reminds me of my broken relationship with my girlfriend last year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKnkw88LrAc

The lyrics

"Vinegar & Salt"

I...like the things that you hate
And you...hate the things that I like
But it hurts
Honesty's your church
But sometimes
Its better to lie
I...am the vinegar and salt
And you...are the oil that dissolves
My frustration
Honesty's limitation
But sometimes
Its better to lie
I am the vinegar and salt
And you are the oil that dissolves my frustrations
Limitations
But sometimes...

But "Ride" really helped me through this hard time. I feel good when I hear this song and I love the lyrics because I can find myself in that text.

Sometimes I have the feeling that I'm not like everyone else. Maybe I'm also a little crazy idk.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Py_-3di1yx0

I love this thread <3 

I have a lot of songs to post youtube vids on them but I'll make a short list:

City and Colour - Waiting
Rolling Stones - Paint it Black

Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody
Daughter - Touch
Sia - I'm in Here (anything by sia really)
Hakuna Matata :)
Um that song what was is mona lisa or something it was big in the 90's it goes a little bit of monica by my side alittle bit of somethin and trumpets and shit
P!nk - Just Like a Pill
Coldplay - Lost
Ed Sheeran - Small Bump

god knows I tried

gonna revive this bc how wholesome & why not <3  this is the first song I have any memory of, my dad basically taught it to me- we sang it together all the time when I was a lil girl & because of that it'll always be very special to me 

besides that.... def Johnny Cash's Ring of Fire.. I'd always ask my granddad to spin it when I visited LOL, I thought it was so fun n loved dancing to it 

I remember fighting for someone’s love, doing my best to act in the highest form of love toward someone, defending the ideal of love, remembering people that I’ve lost, and honestly, dealing w most things alone bc of being gay, and this song kinda whips me back into bettering myself and remembering that even if things feel hopeless, and you feel alone, you gotta not get lost in it and not forget about your own self. 

I know it’s a love song yes, but this song carries great motivational value to trust that moving with good intentions won’t bankrupt your soul. Even if it feels like people won’t get it til later, take it for granted or even abuse and mock you for trying to move with higher ideals/ motivations, you just gotta pay no mind, move with love and appreciation for the more important things in life.

It’s kinda like sappy but idgaf. In a sense you have to be different to get different results. Reminds me of the importance of keeping your heart ablaze. I’m finding my way, but also I’ve been reading on research for a while that there’s a correlation with emotion with memory too, so that’s reinforcing as to not forget. 

This song got me thru so much anguish, and instead of returning behaviors, I kinda just stuck to the ideals behind this song. 

and also some irl that have dementia, the concept of just not being able to remember’s heartbreaking, for all parties to an extent, so I think of them when I play this on the side. It’s good not to be forgotten. 

UV/Honeymoon