Lirazel

Music (& stuff) people like that you tried to get into, but can’t

I really hope that I'm not the only one who had this problem...

You hear about a thing, let's say that it's some band. Maybe it's popular, maybe all your friends currently like it or recommend it to you... You have high hopes. The problem is that liking the thing might be harder than you thought... so you endlessly force yourself to listen to it, in hopes that sooner or later something's gonna click.

My personal example is Marina and the Diamonds. I've heard a lot about how interesting and smart her lyrics are, how creative she gets with her videos... Not to mention that a lot of feminists praised her. My friend is extremely into her. A lot of Lana stans also like Marina.

I really wanted to like her music, but obviously thing went awful. I found her first record boring, and Electra Heart was too... American-poppy for me (no offense). I tried to convince myself that I like it for a week or so, and then gave up.

Not to mention that I started hating her lyrics, because they were pasted all over tumblr like some Bible gospel.

Despite that, I must say that Bubblegum Bitch (I know that I kind of contradict myself, but what can I do) and Teen Idle are fun songs. :agree:

Have any of you guys and gals ever shared this experience? Doesn't have to necessarily be with music, can be with anything else (actually, I have another example - a certain writer's work - but I am not strong enough to get into this shithole right now :horror:)

i am nothing and should be everything

ehh i guess im the same with Madonnas "Ray Of Light", idk everyone seems to says its a ~masterpiece~ but i only like 3 of the songs lel :creep:

and basically all male singers

Frank Ocean, PJ Harvey, The Antlers, Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Daft Punk, Weezer, Sigur Ros...

idk I've never desperately tried to get into something, this is just some stuff that I thought I might like that I didn't end up liking.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

OH Florence + The Machine is a big one.. I like a few songs, i.e. Cosmic Love, Hit With a kiss, seven devils but I'm just not a huge fan of her overall sound/style of singing

You know, I actually considered writing about Florence in this topic... but I didn't really try to like her, it was more like start playing the record - listen to one song - switch to something else - never try again... so I considered Marina a better choice.

Frank Ocean, PJ Harvey, The Antlers, Arcade Fire, Animal Collective, Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Daft Punk, Weezer, Sigur Ros...

idk I've never desperately tried to get into something, this is just some stuff that I thought I might like that I didn't end up liking.

I love The Antler's Hospice, but didn't manage to get into Burst Apart... only time will tell if I succeed.

The thing with the music I love is that I never fell in love with it during the first or second listen. For example, it took me over a year to fall in love with Brand New's masterpiece. I started enjoying Born to Die during my third attempt (with many months in between). I never know if something is for me or isn't until I give it multiple chances.

I dislike Arcade Fire, Animal Collective and Radiohead too l o l

BzhmW.png

I love The Antler's Hospice, but didn't manage to get into Burst Apart... only time will tell if I succeed.

The thing with the music I love is that I never fell in love with it during the first or second listen. For example, it took me over a year to fall in love with Brand New's masterpiece. I started enjoying Born to Die during my third attempt (with many months in between). I never know if something is for me or isn't until I give it multiple chances.

Ugh I hate Hospice. It annoyed me the entire time I was listening to it. The vocals bother me and the lyrics feel so forced. It's actually one of the only albums I've really disliked.

I dislike Arcade Fire, Animal Collective and Radiohead too l o l

I wanted to like Animal Collective because the guys seem really nice and very into what they're doing and I like Thom Yorke's solo From the Basement session so I wish I liked Radiohead more but idc about Arcade Fire.

Caesar said he’d fall in love with me if I was older. I own all of Mexico and I got my own roller-coaster.

Ugh I hate Hospice. It annoyed me the entire time I was listening to it. The vocals bother me and the lyrics feel so forced. It's actually one of the only albums I've really disliked.

I have to say that it's definitely not for everyone. I usually dislike this kind of alternative/indie/whatever rock, but this record really spoke to me.

I think that whether you will like it or not hugely depends on if you can relate to the lyrics and presented story or not.

You reminded me of how I despise Bon Iver... everyone says that it's the best thing ever, but I just can't :icant: The guy's voice is absolutely annoying, and I hate that it's The Ultimate Hipster Music for Going to Starbucks On A Cold Winter Day.

(And than there's this polish singer who tries to be exactly like Bon Iver... :judgingu3: )

Adele, Amy Winehouse, Charli XCX,  Goldfrapp, Iamamiwhoami, Katy Perry & Pixie Lott. They're all talented, but I guess they're just not for me? Though, there are a few songs by all of them that I really like that I jam out to occasionally, except Katy. Idk, I've never been able to really get into her music.  

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

The National, Natalia Kills, Haim... although I might give them another chance bc when I first heard Lana's music I didn't like it that much as well  :pft:

I tried The National too.... and failed miserably. Terrible Love and Ghost are beautiful songs, though... even though the rest of the record is an absolute borefest.