Rafael

Lana Del Rey on 96.5 TIC

Before her show at the Toyota Oakdale Theatre, Lana Del Rey spoke with 96.5TIC’s Lisa Gold all about her new album Ultraviolence, her fans and her tour.  Check it out!

It’s been a wild ride for Lana Del rey since the soulful singer rose to fame with her hit song “Video Games.”  Now she’s in the midst of a mostly sold-out US tour, with her sophomore albumUltraviolence ready to drop this June.  Fans got a taste of the new album with the first single “West Coast,” but Del Rey hints that’s just a taste of what’s to come.

“There’s not a running theme through Ultraviolence, it’s more atmospheric. There’s more of a general vibe going on,” she explained. “I feel like it has a narrative; it starts with my favorite song from the record, called ‘Cruel World,’ with these heavy guitars and I like that because it’s symbolically referencing the West Coast, and from there we move into parts of Brooklyn, sonically.”

Making a record can be a very fluid process, and one of the most influential changes toUltraviolence along the way was the last-minute inclusion of Dan Auerbach to the creative fold. “I met him in New York when I thought I was done with the record,” Del Rey said of the Black Keys‘ frontman. “We decided to fly to Nashville and took six weeks there.  He was really amazing… Me and Dan Auerbach we did what we wanted to do.”

“I’m really excited about the record,” she continued. “I love that the label was so supportive, letting me have a record with lots of jazz tones and West Coast vibes going on. And the shows have been pretty amazing… I’m gonna go play some shows in France and London for about 40 days, so I’ll be around.”

Before that, though, Del Rey is finishing up her US tour, playing to many theatres packed to sell-out capacity with her fans. While Del Rey’s followers don’t have their own nickname– like the Katy Kats or the Directioners– she loves them all the same. “My fans don’t have a name, they are just themselves,” she said. “I’m usually out there for a couple of hours, just saying hi… I really appreciate the support.  The fact that they really love the music is pretty amazing for me.”

With more shows and the new album on the horizon, Lana Del Rey is more excited these days than her haunting, brooding music might suggest.  But she still keeps that atmospheric aesthetic in her dressing room, adorned with candles and plenty of mood lighting. “My tour manager is amazing, he makes it pretty moody,” she said, before adding that it can’t all be dark and myerious. “I’m high maintenance… water and potato chips are a must have, for sure.”

Source

bC7rSV5.jpg

Transcribed version:

Hey it's Lisa Gold with 96.5 TIC talking with Lana Del Rey. Hello Lana!

Hello!

Welcome to Connecticut and your sold out show here at the Oakdale. Your fans are amazing first of all I gotta say that and this tour has been--you've sold out like almost every show like immediately, right?

Yeah. It's been pretty, uhm, unexpected.

Yeah that's wild! I mean congratulations and, uhm, "West Coast"--love it! It's got such a California wibe.

It's got a California wibe going on, yeah. It feels good.

I bet. Yeah, so now you perform--you debut that at Coachella and that was like huge, right?

Yes, yeah.

And then it shot right up on iTunes it was like--jumped right up there and you got all those downloads and everything and everybody's loving it, and that's amazing. So now we gotta talk about Ultraviolence and when that will be coming out eventually soon.

Yes, coming out soon. Coming out the second week of June, and yeah I'm just really excited, you know? It's just--I'm so proud of the record. It feels, feels really good and I think me and Dan Auerbach we really did what we wanted to do, you know?

Right. Now Dan Auerbach from The Black Keys, right?

Yes, sorry from The Black Keys. Yep, I met him in New York kinda when I thought I was done with the record and then we decided to fly to Nashville. And took six weeks there and, yeah he really--he was pretty amazing. 

That's awesome. So, for your fans do you have any thing you can tell us about the album that they don't already know? Any little hints or some cool things that we can expect?

Any little hints? Uhm, I mean I guess I would say like there's not--there's not a kind of running theme through Ultraviolence, but it's more atmospheric. It's more of a general kind of vibe going on. And I don't know I mean I kinda really feel it has a narrative in a way. It starts with my favorite song from the record called "Cruel World". And yeah starts with me and my guitar player from my band wrote it, Blake, and uhm, yeah. Just starts with like these kind of heavy guitars and I like that, 'cause it's sort of symbolically referencing the west coast and from there we kind of move into the parts of Brooklyn, and you know sonically anyways, so yeah.

That's cool. So there's something for everyone. Sort of a different--different sort of vibe. I know your fans will be thrilled. Let's talk about your awesome fans for a minute. Now when I pulled up here they're all lined up there waiting wearing their cute little flower headbands and stuff. Now you know how there's like the Directioners and the Katy Kats and everything. Does your fanbase--Do they have like a silly name?

No. My fans do not have a--No, they don't have a name. They are just... themselves [laughs].

They're too cool. They don't need a name, right?

Cool, yeah [laughs].

Cool, so what kind of--like have you had any like, interesting experiences with your fans? Like any memorable things? Any like--

Yeah. I mean honestly every day is memorable. I mean, you know like when I was in Boston two days ago I went out and saw, uhm, everybody and, you know I was there for a couple of hours. I mean I'm usually out there for a couple of hours just saying "Hi", you know? Montreal was a big show, uhm, for us. It was like twelve thousand people, and so--and yeah, and then you know I was doing something afterwards so I didn't get to come out until midnight and there was still a lot of people there. And you know it's amazing I mean--I really appreciate the support, 'cause it's been, you know it's been a uphill battle. So, the fact that they really love, you know, the music is pretty--it's pretty amazing for me.

That's great. Now, so I saw this on the internet now and I mean the internet always has crazy things now. Now you used to have a nickname "Sparkle Jump Rope Queen"?

Yeah [laughs]. I like jump ropes. Yeah, pretty cool [laughs]. 

Now, do you have a sparkly jump rope? 'Cause that would be pretty cool. 

I do. I do have actual sparkle jump ropes. I'm like--I'm a collector of many things. That is one of the things.

You know if you have an Instagram you need to get on that, 'cause we wanna see the sparkly jump rope.

Awesome. I will get on that, soon. Maybe next week [laughs].

Cool. So, what else can we expect with you coming up. I mean a great show tonight here at the Oakdale of course and the rest of the tour, and the album coming up and everything. Any other news you wanna talk about?

Any other news? Uhm, I mean, you know I have to say like I'm just really excited about the record. I love that the label was so supportive. You know, letting me kind of have a record with lots of jazz tones and kind of west coast vibes going on. So, I'm just--I'm really happy about that and the shows have been pretty amazing. I mean we're actually getting up towards the end of it which I can't believe, and uhm, you know then comes out in June and I'm gonna go play some shows in France and London for about forty days. So, you know I'll be around.

Wow. That's incredible! Well congratulations on all of the success, and uh, with all the candles. We're in her dressing room backstage here and she has all these beautiful candles and flowers and everything. It's very zen, it's very chill.

Yes, my tour manager he's pretty amazing. He always kind of... Makes it pretty moody, so yeah.

Nice! And you got some potato chips and water over there of course in case you need a snack or you need to--You need to hydrate. That's always important when you're gonna be singing, right?

Yes. I'm high maintenance [laughs]. We need water and potato chips. A must have for sure.

Cool. Alright, well thank you so much Lana Del Rey here at the Oakdale tonight, it's Lisa Gold with 96.5 TIC.

EQFO7rX.png

OMG she wrote Cruel World with Blake? We finally get those awesome atmospheric show opening guitars on record? :crying:

inb4 new dream team

I will wait for the transcribe interview  :)  i'm not very good listening in english haha

almost done! its really hard to determine the things they say occasionally. the interviewing person talks really fast and she stumble on her own words sometimes.

but bear with me!  :)

EQFO7rX.png

This is a stupid question to ask, but did BTD have a theme? Paradise had one but I never pegged BTD for having something concrete other than tragic lover undertones. 

So... Ultraviolence wont be thematic but "atmospheric"... interesting 

Added the transcribed version. The amount of times I had to write down "you know" and "so" is ridiculous :judgingu2:

Anyway. Enjoy y'all~

Thank you for taking yout time to doing this 

znvmth.jpg

I always thought we were called Lanatics. But maybe that was just me... :oopna: :oopna: :creepna2:

And if she did write and record most of this album before Dan intercepted it, and we do get demos, it would be like getting double the songs or like two versions of the album like a B side. One of my favorite bands, the Bravery did this with their album, The Sun and The Moon. One cd, The Sun was a more chill stripped down version of all the songs and the other cd, the Moon was similar sounding to their last album. Here is a link to listen to the songs and how different they sounded. The Ocean in particular is extremely contrasting. Beautiful and so well done. I wish Lana would've done the same with UV. I want the demos so badly!

Especially seeing the difference in how the radio version of WC was to the original... sonically I mean :brows: I get a strong Wicked Game vibe from the radio version and Dan's version sounds like something the XX would do or similar.

To me, it's like listening to two different sounding songs. The radio version sounds like how I imagined her organically transitioning from BTD. The way Dan interpreted it expands on Lana's sound and helps her music age with her. It's kind of awesome and I'm so excited to hear demos! I only wish she would release them too, like the Bravery did.