Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Check my post on the Shiny Toy Guns thread

Do you have the link by chance? I'd like to read it but i can't seem to find it (even through the search bar :deadbanana: )

Edit:

Nevermind i found it. Didn’t realize i posted in there and liked your post :blush: sorry

Rey=king in Spanish

And previously Lana del Ray

So Ray=K

(We changed our names to Lana and Ray -Wayamaya)

illuminati confirmed

I don't think Ray existed. I honestly just think she likes the name. Most of the things she's written about I'm pretty sure are fictional, including the concept behind her chosen name. I don't really like the idea of referring to the guy as Ray if he did exist either. We still don't know who she's actually singing about if that was the case.

Wait.

I know she started writing Dark Paradise before Rob's death but I think she actually may have adjusted the lyrics to be about it. The song started out a lot different thematically.

First Demo, produced by Bjorn Yttling at Cutting Room Studios in September 2011

"I got the ice, you got the fire I got the stuff to take you higher

That's how you played it

I got the brains, you got the money This is a race, let's go fast, honey

That's how you played it

C'mon, pretty baby, I'll be takin' you down

They say you got crazy like all over town"

Version performed in September 2011 at the Glasslands

"That's why I stay here

Everybody told me I was falling in love

I said, you would fall too if you knew what I was dreaming of

Everybody told me I was stupid because you were bad, you were wrong and I knew it"

She doesn't explicitly mention anything about the person no longer being alive other than the chorus ("I'm scared that you won't be waiting on the other side") but it probably didn't have any real life connections when she wrote it. These are the verses of the second demo and the album version which features entirely new lyrics.

"All my friends tell me I should move on

I'm lyin' in the ocean singin' your song

That's how you sang it

Loving you forever can't be wrong

Even though you're not here, won't move on

That's how you played it

And there's no remedy for memory

Your face is like a melody, it won't leave my head

Your soul is haunting me and telling me that everything is fine

But I wish I was dead (dead like you)"

BTD was released in January the following year and I believe Rob passed in December so if my guesses are correct, the second demo was probably written and produced in December as well. I'm assuming it was produced by Rick because he has writing credits for the song and the first demo was confirmed to be produced by Bjorn. Rick also said that they wrote Dark Paradise in between takes but I'm thinking they only wrote the new verses together and just reused the chorus from the earlier demos. This could be entirely wrong but that's just my two cents.

I'm convinced every song but salvatore is about Rob

I think 80% are about Rob, 5% about that record executive ( I mean lines like 'Record executive I need you to live' make it pretty obvi) I think the other 15% is about whatever and probably her english teacher she had a thing for, also her more current relationships.

Gosh I’m starting to think this too...besides the ones that are clearly about Barrie

What what about the record executive she was with for 7 years?!

Songs like Axl Rose Husband are about the record executive. I even think songs like Put Me in a Movie, Cola, Fucked My Way Up to the top, where inspired by him to some degree. I think the more romantic songs were about Rob.

I don't think Ray existed. I honestly just think she likes the name. Most of the things she's written about I'm pretty sure are fictional, including the concept behind her chosen name. I don't really like the idea of referring to the guy as Ray if he did exist either. We still don't know who she's actually singing about if that was the case.

didnt lana used that name because of arthur? https://angiescreams.wordpress.com/2009/01/12/lana-and-ray/ 

tumblr_o3k2s0IT4d1uvva9wo1_500.gif