Barry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 4d 22h 28m 18s

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:11 PM

Her music is steeped in references to alcohol, but not in an overt way. She compares alcohol to love and (in her more recent albums) love to fame:

Ultraviolence:
Jim raised me up / He hurt me but it felt like true love
Crying tears of gold like lemonade.

Music to Watch Boys to:
Nothing gold can stay / Like love or lemonade.

Cherry:
Love, I said real love, is like feelin' no fear / When you're standin' in the face of danger / 'Cause you just want it so much
Love, I said real love, it's like smilin' when the firing squad's against you / And you just stay lined up

The last line in cherry seems to allude to her being photographed on a red carpet where she's being "shot". 

From GQ interview (2012): "When I write about the thing that I've lost I feel like I'm writing about alcohol because that was the first love of my life."

Her first love was alcohol, her new love is fame.

Do you think she loves fame though? she always comes across pretty shy to me and very awkward at Red Carpets or when being interviewed and things like that and even doesn't seem to like being on video or even making music videos and does hardly any things for publicity like radio and TV.

To me it seems like she would like a more normal life of just going about like to the beach, going to the studio to work, going for coffee and food with friends, going shopping and blending in rather than loving fame and attention and wanting to be seen as a big star.

• Lirazel likes this

#1762 OFFLINE   ivy

ivy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 127 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 46d 4h 19m 16s

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:35 PM

Do you think she loves fame though? she always comes across pretty shy to me and very awkward at Red Carpets or when being interviewed and things like that and even doesn't seem to like being on video or even making music videos and does hardly any things for publicity like radio and TV.

To me it seems like she would like a more normal life of just going about like to the beach, going to the studio to work, going for coffee and food with friends, going shopping and blending in rather than loving fame and attention and wanting to be seen as a big star.

I don't know... Based on the lyrics in Cherry she seems to have some sort of hate/love relationship with fame, imo...

• AJK273 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users