Sitar

LANALYSIS: Relating Songs To Known/Assumed Relationships

Do you think she loves fame though? she always comes across pretty shy to me and very awkward at Red Carpets or when being interviewed and things like that and even doesn't seem to like being on video or even making music videos and does hardly any things for publicity like radio and TV.

To me it seems like she would like a more normal life of just going about like to the beach, going to the studio to work, going for coffee and food with friends, going shopping and blending in rather than loving fame and attention and wanting to be seen as a big star.

sorry if people have said this before (i've gone through this whole thread, read every post lmao it was the reason i joined but i could have missed something cause i smoke weed a lot lmao) but i always figured High By The Beach was about fame. "boy, look at you lookin' at me/i know you don't understand [...] now you're just another one of my problems, because you got out of hand" like she realizes the media/GP doesnt "get" her and she's said a few times that all she wanted was to be like, a poet, so i feel like HBTB was written out of a place of frustration when she was feeling like the fame she wanted before is just causing problems for her now. 

and "the truth is i never bought into your bullshit when you would pay tribute to me" like she never really believed the music journalists when they fawn over her now because they all shit on her before and she knows that it's all so fickle and people will just repeat whatever pitchfork (or whoever) says. like "oh sure y'all like me now and pretend you always did but i remember when i was a literal laughingstock" 

it's one of those songs she's got where she's talking to a man but it's very obvious, at least to me, that it's one of her relationship-as-metaphor songs, it's more obvious than others hahah but hey that's just my two cents :kiss:

tumblr_mpa5s93jmR1s8gmjao1_500.gif

sorry if people have said this before (i've gone through this whole thread, read every post lmao it was the reason i joined but i could have missed something cause i smoke weed a lot lmao) but i always figured High By The Beach was about fame. "boy, look at you lookin' at me/i know you don't understand [...] now you're just another one of my problems, because you got out of hand" like she realizes the media/GP doesnt "get" her and she's said a few times that all she wanted was to be like, a poet, so i feel like HBTB was written out of a place of frustration when she was feeling like the fame she wanted before is just causing problems for her now. 

and "the truth is i never bought into your bullshit when you would pay tribute to me" like she never really believed the music journalists when they fawn over her now because they all shit on her before and she knows that it's all so fickle and people will just repeat whatever pitchfork (or whoever) says. like "oh sure y'all like me now and pretend you always did but i remember when i was a literal laughingstock" 

it's one of those songs she's got where she's talking to a man but it's very obvious, at least to me, that it's one of her relationship-as-metaphor songs, it's more obvious than others hahah but hey that's just my two cents :kiss:

Totally agree! 

This theme of 'the burden of fame' is also there in Cherry, 13 Beaches, and  she even wrote a haiku about it for her poetry book:

“Jasmine in the air

the burden of fame is real

never felt so clear.” 

When she said Yosemite is the sister to BAR like SB/GL, she didn’t mean SB/GL are connected toBAR/Yosemite.

Ok Thanks .sorry I wasn't being specific I mean't Any theories on who Those songs are about

Ok Thanks .sorry I wasn't being specific I mean't Any theories on who Those songs are about

I remember her saying that A$AP Rocky’s backup dancers inspired her to write GL lol.

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

I remember her saying that A$AP Rocky’s backup dancers inspired her to write GL lol.

oh ok thanks i didn't know that ..Sorry lol I don't know how to comment on your reply lol..

oh NVM I actually got it right lol I'm still new here

Totally agree! 

This theme of 'the burden of fame' is also there in Cherry, 13 Beaches, and  she even wrote a haiku about it for her poetry book:

“Jasmine in the air

the burden of fame is real

never felt so clear.” 

Also, I've recently made a couple of notes on every track off Honeymoon and I think the entire album is some sort of reflection on how she experiences fame. I'll try to work out my notes and post my findings in the Honeymoon thread. There's a lot of inter-referencing (?) going on in the album, which is honestly fantastic  :flutter:

my heart did break a bit when i discovered 13 beaches was written for the fans, really starts to feel almost apologetic the more you listen to it 

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

www.stereogum.com/2044536/lana-del-rey-moby-lizzy-grant-relationship/news%3famp=1

have you heard about it already?

Woah...WHAT? Is Moby the mystery record industry guy she's referenced before?  :wat:

9a32008aa9568555201e3b88bceeef59.jpg

Woah...WHAT? Is Moby the mystery record industry guy she's referenced before?  :wat:

She admitted she slept with a lot of music industry guys... 

I wonder if her thing with Moby went beyond simple flirtation...

Any Theories on Summer bummer & Groupie Love? & the connection to BAR & Yosemite?

I feel like LFL was about a bunch of her previous lovers... while some songs were about G-Eazy (the ones when she was falling in love). It would fit the timeline.

Any thoughts on who tomorrow never came & lust for life track with the weeknd is about? particularly the line "my boyfriend is back and his cooler than ever".

Okay I’ve probably read like 25 pages of this at most, and not consecutively so sorry if this has been covered already! But I always thought whenever she sings Bill she’s talking about Axl Rose. His real name is William Bailey (Rose) and went by Bill growing up. Him and Izzy are both from Lafayette, Indiana and were childhood friends and then Izzy left for LA after high school(?) and Axl followed him. I always thought her using the accent and stuff like “yes Bill, I will” was just her fantasizing about him in Indiana, maybe while he was in school or some alternate universe where he never moved away and possibly never even got famous ?? idk. I think BAR is clearly about him, or at least uses his image/reputation maybe as a cover for someone else or some sort of fantasy. I’m assuming that’s the general consensus anyways bc I remember when the mv came out everyone was commenting on how much the actor looked like him, but maybe y’all came to a different conclusion in this thread? He plays guitar, not often tho, but I don’t think that’s really important, just a metaphor for his fame both as a rockstar and as a performer/musician. Idk what happened when they hung out tho, so idk about the rest of the lyrics being about him particularly. Also he has a history of domestic violence which is also a common musical theme for miss Del Rey

also I was a HUGE gnr stan in high school so at the time whenever I listened to Lana’s music, I kind of attributed a lot of it to him (Axl), because I had such a crush on him and her music is so indulgent lol. so this could just be me reaching, i really have no idea i mean bill could be anyone. these r just my thots

edit: also, i was kind of under the impression that a huge portion of her music is about multiple people/relationships, real experiences and fantasy, all mushed and combined. i also always thot a lot of her stuff was inspired by tony montana, which like... duh but idk if that’s been talked about either so lol. the first time i heard million dollar man i thought it was a fantasy song about him

UbsOye5.png

anyone else think California might be about Barrie? the “flipside” and the “weather” references from Ultraviolence make me think of it. also she always made very American references about him despite him obviously not being. and in songs he’s often marked by her trying to help/look after him in his sadness.

I have gold in my veins

anyone else think California might be about Barrie? the “flipside” and the “weather” references from Ultraviolence make me think of it. also she always made very American references about him despite him obviously not being. and in songs he’s often marked by her trying to help/look after him in his sadness.

100%. I have also thought that BAR was about Barrie, so with the new lyrics it makes sense that she's rewriting the past because she wants him back now. I wonder if Barrie has any idea. I'm so intrigued because I guess I feel nostalgic about them. 

Now--I know next to nothing about her (current?) bf Chase but I'm assuming songs like NFR, Cinnamon Girl, HIAB, Bartender, etc. are about him. Anyone have any opinions on this? 

let me be who i'm meant to be