Barry

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 669 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 40d 24m 28s

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:11 PM

Her music is steeped in references to alcohol, but not in an overt way. She compares alcohol to love and (in her more recent albums) love to fame:

Ultraviolence:
Jim raised me up / He hurt me but it felt like true love
Crying tears of gold like lemonade.

Music to Watch Boys to:
Nothing gold can stay / Like love or lemonade.

Cherry:
Love, I said real love, is like feelin' no fear / When you're standin' in the face of danger / 'Cause you just want it so much
Love, I said real love, it's like smilin' when the firing squad's against you / And you just stay lined up

The last line in cherry seems to allude to her being photographed on a red carpet where she's being "shot". 

From GQ interview (2012): "When I write about the thing that I've lost I feel like I'm writing about alcohol because that was the first love of my life."

Her first love was alcohol, her new love is fame.

Do you think she loves fame though? she always comes across pretty shy to me and very awkward at Red Carpets or when being interviewed and things like that and even doesn't seem to like being on video or even making music videos and does hardly any things for publicity like radio and TV.

To me it seems like she would like a more normal life of just going about like to the beach, going to the studio to work, going for coffee and food with friends, going shopping and blending in rather than loving fame and attention and wanting to be seen as a big star.

• Lirazel, Clampigirl and fluxodite like this

#1762 OFFLINE   ivy

ivy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands
  • Time Online: 78d 14h 41m 38s

Posted 15 September 2018 - 11:35 PM

Do you think she loves fame though? she always comes across pretty shy to me and very awkward at Red Carpets or when being interviewed and things like that and even doesn't seem to like being on video or even making music videos and does hardly any things for publicity like radio and TV.

To me it seems like she would like a more normal life of just going about like to the beach, going to the studio to work, going for coffee and food with friends, going shopping and blending in rather than loving fame and attention and wanting to be seen as a big star.

I don't know... Based on the lyrics in Cherry she seems to have some sort of hate/love relationship with fame, imo...

• AJK273 likes this

#1763 OFFLINE   Vitamin Lana

Vitamin Lana

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • LocationFrance
  • Fan Since:2015
  • Time Online: 14d 16h 55m 22s

Posted 21 March 2019 - 10:42 AM

well shit

styrofoam on the microphone, can't give it up, can't do it alone 

#1764 OFFLINE   YvonneMD

YvonneMD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSA
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Time Online: 1d 3h 49m 23s

Posted 26 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

Hi I'm new here...I wonder if HTD about more than 2 guys?
  • LanaFlowers likes this

#1765 OFFLINE   YvonneMD

YvonneMD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 06 May 2019 - 09:12 AM

Any Theories on Summer bummer & Groupie Love? & the connection to BAR & Yosemite?

#1766 OFFLINE   lilmango

lilmango

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Locationlost in my bedroom
  • Fan Since:2010
  • Time Online: 1d 6h 21m 17s

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:03 PM

sorry if people have said this before (i've gone through this whole thread, read every post lmao it was the reason i joined but i could have missed something cause i smoke weed a lot lmao) but i always figured High By The Beach was about fame. "boy, look at you lookin' at me/i know you don't understand [...] now you're just another one of my problems, because you got out of hand" like she realizes the media/GP doesnt "get" her and she's said a few times that all she wanted was to be like, a poet, so i feel like HBTB was written out of a place of frustration when she was feeling like the fame she wanted before is just causing problems for her now. 

and "the truth is i never bought into your bullshit when you would pay tribute to me" like she never really believed the music journalists when they fawn over her now because they all shit on her before and she knows that it's all so fickle and people will just repeat whatever pitchfork (or whoever) says. like "oh sure y'all like me now and pretend you always did but i remember when i was a literal laughingstock" 

it's one of those songs she's got where she's talking to a man but it's very obvious, at least to me, that it's one of her relationship-as-metaphor songs, it's more obvious than others hahah but hey that's just my two cents :kiss:

• Nobody, californianfreak, ivy and 4 others like this

tumblr_mpa5s93jmR1s8gmjao1_500.gif

#1767 OFFLINE   ivy

ivy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

sorry if people have said this before (i've gone through this whole thread, read every post lmao it was the reason i joined but i could have missed something cause i smoke weed a lot lmao) but i always figured High By The Beach was about fame. "boy, look at you lookin' at me/i know you don't understand [...] now you're just another one of my problems, because you got out of hand" like she realizes the media/GP doesnt "get" her and she's said a few times that all she wanted was to be like, a poet, so i feel like HBTB was written out of a place of frustration when she was feeling like the fame she wanted before is just causing problems for her now. 

and "the truth is i never bought into your bullshit when you would pay tribute to me" like she never really believed the music journalists when they fawn over her now because they all shit on her before and she knows that it's all so fickle and people will just repeat whatever pitchfork (or whoever) says. like "oh sure y'all like me now and pretend you always did but i remember when i was a literal laughingstock" 

it's one of those songs she's got where she's talking to a man but it's very obvious, at least to me, that it's one of her relationship-as-metaphor songs, it's more obvious than others hahah but hey that's just my two cents :kiss:

Totally agree! 

This theme of 'the burden of fame' is also there in Cherry, 13 Beaches, and  she even wrote a haiku about it for her poetry book:

“Jasmine in the air

the burden of fame is real

never felt so clear.” 

• sodaserialkiller, Nobody, californianfreak and 3 others like this

#1768 OFFLINE   Say Yes to Heaven

Say Yes to Heaven

January’s For The Nuns

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5,943 posts
  • LocationNew Mexico on Route 66
  • Time Online: 256d 16h 25m 14s

Posted 06 May 2019 - 04:37 PM

Any Theories on Summer bummer & Groupie Love? & the connection to BAR & Yosemite?

When she said Yosemite is the sister to BAR like SB/GL, she didn’t mean SB/GL are connected toBAR/Yosemite.
  • YvonneMD likes this

image0_1.jpg

#1769 OFFLINE   YvonneMD

YvonneMD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:09 AM

When she said Yosemite is the sister to BAR like SB/GL, she didn’t mean SB/GL are connected toBAR/Yosemite.

Ok Thanks .sorry I wasn't being specific I mean't Any theories on who Those songs are about

#1770 OFFLINE   Clampigirl

Clampigirl

Child of Yosemite Falls // Explorer of Hyrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Fan Since:Early 2013
  • Time Online: 177d 20h 35m 22s

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:46 AM

Ok Thanks .sorry I wasn't being specific I mean't Any theories on who Those songs are about

I remember her saying that A$AP Rocky’s backup dancers inspired her to write GL lol.
  • LanaFlowers, GeminiLanaFan, fluxodite and 1 other like this

#1771 OFFLINE   YvonneMD

YvonneMD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

I remember her saying that A$AP Rocky’s backup dancers inspired her to write GL lol.

oh ok thanks i didn't know that ..Sorry lol I don't know how to comment on your reply lol..
oh NVM I actually got it right lol I'm still new here

#1772 OFFLINE   Clampigirl

Clampigirl

Child of Yosemite Falls // Explorer of Hyrule

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6,190 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Fan Since:Early 2013
  • Time Online: 177d 20h 35m 22s

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:51 AM

oh ok thanks i didn't know that ..Sorry lol I don't know how to comment on your reply lol..oh NVM I actually got it right lol I'm still new here

Haha, it’s alright. ^^
  • YvonneMD likes this

#1773 OFFLINE   ivy

ivy

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 337 posts

Posted 10 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

Totally agree! 

This theme of 'the burden of fame' is also there in Cherry, 13 Beaches, and  she even wrote a haiku about it for her poetry book:

“Jasmine in the air

the burden of fame is real

never felt so clear.” 

Also, I've recently made a couple of notes on every track off Honeymoon and I think the entire album is some sort of reflection on how she experiences fame. I'll try to work out my notes and post my findings in the Honeymoon thread. There's a lot of inter-referencing (?) going on in the album, which is honestly fantastic  :flutter:

• californianfreak, kitschesque, LanaFlowers and 3 others like this

#1774 OFFLINE   divebarsinger

divebarsinger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 376 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Time Online: 18d 17h 31m 46s

Posted 11 May 2019 - 12:39 AM

my heart did break a bit when i discovered 13 beaches was written for the fans, really starts to feel almost apologetic the more you listen to it 

• GeminiLanaFan and YvonneMD like this

There's things I wanna say to you, but I'll just let you live

#1775 OFFLINE   jvstine

jvstine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Time Online: 1d 15h 6m 2s

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:29 AM

www.stereogum.com/2044536/lana-del-rey-moby-lizzy-grant-relationship/news%3famp=1

have you heard about it already?

#1776 ONLINE   trayertrash

trayertrash

oh em gee its a es jay double u

• Supporters
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts
  • LocationMadam Satan's Taint
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 311d 14h 58m 9s

Posted 22 May 2019 - 11:57 AM

www.stereogum.com/2044536/lana-del-rey-moby-lizzy-grant-relationship/news%3famp=1

have you heard about it already?

Woah...WHAT? Is Moby the mystery record industry guy she's referenced before?  :wat:

RHpG2XN.png

#1777 ONLINE   GeminiLanaFan

GeminiLanaFan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,608 posts
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 45d 23h 35m 52s

Posted 22 May 2019 - 12:11 PM

Woah...WHAT? Is Moby the mystery record industry guy she's referenced before?  :wat:

She admitted she slept with a lot of music industry guys... 

I wonder if her thing with Moby went beyond simple flirtation...

I feel like LFL was about a bunch of her previous lovers... while some songs were about G-Eazy (the ones when she was falling in love). It would fit the timeline.

• LanaFlowers and YvonneMD like this

#1778 OFFLINE   YvonneMD

YvonneMD

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationSA

Posted 08 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

Any thoughts on who tomorrow never came & lust for life track with the weeknd is about? particularly the line "my boyfriend is back and his cooler than ever".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users