Rafael

Lana Del Rey Interview: XLSemanal

Super big thank you to @@ednafrau for translating the interview! :worship:

XLWeekly. Ultraviolence is your third album. What mood does it reflect?

Lana del Rey. A sexy state of mind, something unusual for me [laughs]. It's also a free record. I recorded it in six weeks. It was really fun. Before that, it was all very difficult.

XL. Do you mean your sudden success?

L.R. Yes. Even though a lot of people bought my previous album, I knew almost nobody liked it. There were those who wrote that it was horrible, even harmful.

XL. Did you feel mistreated by the press?

L.R. I was given a bad reputation [laughs].

XL. And you didn't deserve it?

L.R. Why would I deserve it? I'm a good girl.

XL. You're accused of being a prefabricated star...

L.R. Authenticity is overrated. «She's authentic!». So what? How boring! Plus, I write and produce all my songs!

XL. In that you are right. Dozens of stars don't write what they sing and no one questions their authenticity...

L.R. Exactly. I was invisible for seven years. Not a single label was interested in me. There was no place for an operatic singer during a time in which only rap and pop were selling in the United States. Not even rock was alive.

XL. And, in 2011, Videogames suddenly puts you on the map...

L.R. Three years ago, I became visible and people started to wonder: «Where did she come from?». There were several blank pages in my history and a lot of room to make things up. In the end, the truth is what is written about you, the journalistic word. It's always been that way. Headlines dictate the stars' trajectory.

XL. You are either hated or loved. Why do you think that is?

L.R. Maybe my messages are confusing. I don't make pop, my creative process is more psychological. When people started to listen, I had already been writing for ten years and had a very deep psychological universe.

XL. You've even been called an anti-feminist...

L.R. Yes, there were some who believed I was conveying a harmful messahe to women, but I was talking about my feelings. I have a wonderful relationship with men. Masculine energy is a great inspiration to me.

XL. It appears that without a certain dose of controversy it is hard to succeed...

L.R. I don't know. But there are people that provoke it, that are screaming for it. I didn't seek it out.

XL. It's also been said that you've undergone some aesthetic touch-ups. Does that bother you?

L.R. Of course it bothers me! [laughs]. What I enjoy is seeming chameleon-like, but I can't stand lies.

XL. The impression is that your “retro” style is almost a reaction to the hypersexual look of other stars, such as Miley Cyrus, Rihanna or Lady Gaga. Is that so?

L.R. It's not a declaration of intent towards what other singers represent. It's my natural style. Although, if I'm honest, there have been a few times when I've thought: «I'm gonna button up» [laughs]. It's just a manifestation of my origins. My family is very traditional.

XL. What were you searching for when you got into this business?

L.R. I was looking for an artistic community like Dylan's, Joan Baez's or Jack Kerouac and Allen Ginsberg's beat generation...in the sixties, where they spent their nights writing novels or folk songs. I also sought respect as a writer within that community. And, truthfully, I found neither.

XL. What did you find?

L.R. If I'm honest: nothing. Ever since I've been visible, nothing is really clear in my life. When the road becomes clear, a new obstacle overshadows it. I've had many ups and downs.

XL. As you tell it, it seems like it's been a tough process. Have you ever thought of leaving it all behind?

L.R. All the time. Life is short. Being amongst people that don't get you is not pleasant. .

XL. You admit that you don't really like acting. Why?

L.R. In the studio, with my producer, it's almost like a romantic relationship, we have a natural chemistry. But when you don't know your audience, you can't trust that they'll accept you if you lose your balance and fall or if you're off key. Now I know that that, too, is part of the show and I'm beginning to enjoy it.

XL. What differences are there between Lizzy and Lana?

L.R. None. I changed my name to show others how I was on the inside. Because, when you're born, you're given a name, a geographic location and maybe even dictated what your profession will be. And I don't want to respond to an archetype.

XL. By the way, why such a hispanic artistic name?

L.R. I have a lot of affinity with hispanic culture. I love its exoticism and passion. And I love the name Lana, it seems to roll off the tongue.

XL. When you were little, you wanted to be a poet. What kind of a child were you?

L.R. I was imaginative, I had a strong inner dialogue, I was traditional and too precocious. When I was ten years old, I already thought I was an adult. My friends were my parents' friends, I thought I was one of them. And I loved to write.

XL. At 15, you were sent to boarding school. Did that leave a mark?

L.R. Perhaps...I barely remember those days. For me, life started when I left for New York at 18. What happened before is buried in the mist. I didn't like boarding school, I didn't talk to anyone. I was in the choir, I wanted to sing with all my heart and didn't know how.

XL. What matters more in this industry: talent, marketing or luck?

L.R. For most people it's, above all, a matter of marketing. For me, it was persistence. It was my dream.

XL. And nobody has tried to drag you in the other direction?

L.R. Sometimes. I make the record by myself, I give it to the company and they come back saying: «There aren't any singles!». And I tell them: «I know!» [laughs]. You have to be very strong. But I always end up winning.

XL. Have you always had this much confidence in yourself?

L.R. As a person, yes; musically, no. When I was 20, a famous producer noticed me after no record labels liked what I was doing. I realized I would not be understood as an artist, but also that there were people who would be interested in what I did. That's all I need.

XL. You've worked with marginalized people since you were a teenager. What has that experience taught you?

L.R. Do you know the expression “a tiger can't change its stripes”? Well, people can change their stripes and even become dragons. I've seen how people without hope have managed to transform themselves and serve as an inspiration to others.

XL. You studied Metaphysics in college. Where did that interest come from?

L.R. When I was 11 years old I realized that we were all going to die...and that distressed me deeply. The concepts of infinity and eternity also tortured me. In boarding school, I signed up for Metaphysics classes. It was the first subject, apart from Literature, that I was truly interested in. For the first time I felt in good company. Although the ancient philosophers had been gone for centuries.

XL. You've spoken of a divine plan, what do you mean?

L.R. Before, I used to design my path and always ended up frustrated. I stopped trying and accepted that life works according to its own rules. As soon as I did, everything started to fall into place. If, for example, somebody recommended a book to me, someone on the bus left it, forgotten, on the seat beside me. Things like that.

XL. Signs?

L.R. Synchronicites. It's been said that coincidences are God's way of remaining anonymous. Synchronicities are a sign of divinity. You breathe in deeply and say: «I don't want anything. I'm going to let things happen».

XL. It requires a lot of self-control, doesn't it?

L.R. It's patience. Like letting the lyrics come to me. Sometimes it's painful, but it's the only way. I feel that my path was revealed to me, but I needed to be an empty vessel for it to happen. Like an electrical conduit. Electricity does not go through you if you're blocked.

XL. Your music is very melancholy...are you, too?

L.R. I make an effort to be happy...and I have been. I'm a loner.

XL. And where do you seek tranquility in the midst of the noise that surrounds a star?

L.R. I haven't been calm for quite a while now. My personal life is crazy and my career is full of ups and downs. But it can't be worse than it was [laughs]. It can only get better.

Super-private.

1. Born in New York in 1986, she is the daughter of an Internet 'marketing' expert.

2. At 15, her parents sent her to Boarding School to overcome an addiction to alcohol. «A big part of what I wrote about in my Born to Die record talks about those years».

3. In 2010 she released her first album, Lana del Ray a.k.a. Lizzy Grant. Soon after, she requested her label to withdraw it from the market. She wasn't satisfied with the result.

4. Singer Barrie-James O'Neill, with whom she recorded a Nancy Sinatra cover, is her fiancé.

5. On her left hand she has an 'M' tatooed, for her grandmother Madeleine, and the word 'paradise'. On her right, the motto «Trust no one». And on her right ring finger, «Die young».

Source

EQFO7rX.png

"I'm a good girl"

EVERYBODY KNOWS THAT I'M A GOOD GIRL

OFFICER/NO, I WOULDN'T DO A THING LIKE THAT, THAT'S FOR SURE

and btw, the article is in Spanish, not Italian. I could probably translate it but you'd have to give me a week or so because I have exams atm :oic:

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

Interesting interview although I think that I don't understand everything. :P

nnn, this really needs to be translated by someone properly, seems interesting but the mistakes are rough

I had to leave before, but I can sit down and do some minor adjustments now. Thought it would be good to have at least something than nothing at all :)  

and btw, the article is in Spanish, not Italian. I could probably translate it but you'd have to give me a week or so because I have exams atm :oic:

You're absolutely right. That's so embarrassing! I glanced at it really quickly and jumped to the wrong conclusion. On second look I actually do see it's indeed spanish. Thanks! :facepalm:

EQFO7rX.png

On being sent to a boarding school:

"I barely remember those days"

then

"Most of what I wrote on Born to Die talks about those years"

:eartha2:

Judging from what she sings in "Boarding School" she may not want to talk about them :D

ANd sometimes, as much as I admire lana, I think she doesn't really pay attention to what she's actually saying :D

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

On being sent to a boarding school:

"I barely remember those days"

then

"Most of what I wrote on Born to Die talks about those years"

:eartha2:

"Do I contradict myself? Very well, then I contradict myself, I am large, I contain multitudes." :)

I had to leave before, but I can sit down and do some minor adjustments now. Thought it would be good to have at least something than nothing at all :)  

That's understandable, and I did not mean that as a mean thing at all, I just wish we had a good version :)

Maybe @@Viva could translate it? :pray2:

I loved the interview! It's kind of the same questions asked again but I love her answers, like always.

There is just something that I don't like: She is always saying how a lot of people hate her songs, etc, but I have a feeling she she gives more importance to that than to her fans ( there are many) ( and it may be something she does unwillingly or not)

EotAQlJ.jpg

I loved the interview! It's kind of the same questions asked again but I love her answers, like always.

There is just something that I don't like: She is always saying how a lot of people hate her songs, etc, but I have a feeling she she gives more importance to that than to her fans ( there are many) ( and it may be something she does unwillingly or not)

I think she is mostly talking about the critics...

I AM MY ONLY GOD

By the way, why as Hispanic stage name?

I have a great affinity with the Hispanic culture. Love their exoticism and passion. 

let's hope this sentiment changes with a better translation.... :biblio:

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

I think she is mostly talking about the critics...

And so was I lol. Critics are still people, and I seriously don't know why she cares that much about them when there are thousands of people who go to her concerts, love her music, etc. Like, she should just ignore the haters and focus on the people who recognize her artistry.

EotAQlJ.jpg

let's hope this sentiment changes with a better translation.... :biblio:

This random girl at a party I went to was talking to me about Lana's cultural appropriation and I just sat there like  :toofunny:

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

This random girl at a party I went to was talking to me about Lana's cultural appropriation and I just sat there like  :toofunny:

what fun party conversation!  :flop: 

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…