#21 OFFLINE   VegasBaby

VegasBaby

• Supporters
  • PipPip
  • 886 posts
  • LocationEngland
  • Time Online: 7d 11h 37m 54s

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:04 PM

it really really doesnt sound like its about lorde at all.

• lflflflflflflflflflf, Velvet Elvis and delreyfreak like this

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

#22 OFFLINE   evilentity

evilentity

~~~~~~ICON~~~~~~ President for Life

• OG Moderators
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 09:11 PM

So here's why it's unfortunately about Lorde

Life is awesome, I confess
- Responding to Lorde's criticism of portraying a glamorous lifestyle that no can relate to. She confesses it's awesome, I guess.

What I do, I do it best
You got nothing, I got tested
And I passed, yes
- In the game of alternative female pop singers, Lana professes that she does it best, and this amplified by the fact that she is successful even despite being "tested." She passed the test of public scrutiny, while Lorde didn't because she was immediately successful. Sense the jealousy here tbh

Agree. I had the same thoughts.

Lay me down tonight
In my linen and curls
Lay me down tonight
Riviera girls
- I know Lorde has curls etc but I think this is just a pretty nonsense Lana phrase. Of which she is full.

I also think the "Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls" line could possibly be a reference to Lorde's young age, like she has to be put to bed like a baby.

I'm a drag and you're a whore
- A little trickier. Maybe this is Lorde talking to her? Bc I can't see why she'd call Lorde a whore.

Also agree that this line doesn't add up. Maybe the song's mostly about Lorde, but this line is directed at someone else?

Don't even know what you're good for
Mimicking me is a fucking bore to me

- As far as mimicking, look to her new interview for the significance of the hip-hop sound of this song: "I would say the track having more of a hip hop heavier beat, whereas the rest of the album is live and organic…it kind of drives this one particular point home." Hip-hop influence is important here, something she and Lorde share.

Mimicking me is a fucking bore. :usrs:  :troll:

• PrettyBaby, ExoticFlower, Jordan and 2 others like this

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

#23 OFFLINE   DeadAgainst

DeadAgainst

I wish I was dead already

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Time Online: 96d 12h 57m 39s

Posted 15 June 2014 - 01:51 AM

ER923ik.jpg

Turns out this was from a reliable insider source

• lflflflflflflflflflf, Poison Ivy, Tropicola and 7 others like this

#24 OFFLINE   slang

slang

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 606 posts
  • Time Online: 56d 22h 12m 31s

Posted 17 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

@SitarHero  - As far as mimicking, look to her new interview for the significance of the hip-hop sound of this song: "I would say the track having more of a hip hop heavier beat, whereas the rest of the album is live and organic…it kind of drives this one particular point home." Hip-hop influence is important here, something she and Lorde share. I mean plenty of sewer rats on LanaBoards.com have attempted to (unconvincingly) compare their sounds, and maybe Lana is surrounded by too many yes men and she believes this, too.

I finally listened to the album all the way thru (God bless Amazon autorip). What's not being mentioned is the strangled loon (or is it a baboon sound) that happens at least twice in FMWUTTT. This strengthens the reference to hip hop LDR makes about the song in the article as corresponding to a self-reference (BTD era), not necessarily a Lorde reference, imo. Maybe a little diss to Emile? My point is that it's not necessarily exclusively about Lorde (or Taylor, or Gaga). I also think that So Legit was not (exclusively) about Gaga.

On the topic of diss in general, isn't it somewhat "normal" to diss in hip hop? So for instance Tyler the Creator in Yonkers has that love tap to Bruno Mars in it (about stabbing in the esophagus) and his Domo23 seems to have a reference to pointing a gun at "one direction". So spreading the ambiguity further (I like thinking of LDR in uncertain terms), maybe the diss element is reference to hip hop itself.

#25 OFFLINE   Electric Body

Electric Body

Boss on the Boat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationMedusa's Path
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Time Online: 158d 22h 27m 49s

Posted 17 June 2014 - 02:25 PM

Why would she sing "I'm a drag"

I read it alot around here, but "dragon" would make so much more sense, wouldn't it?

• Lanakai and delreyfreak like this

~ my cherries and wine ~

#26 OFFLINE   evilentity

evilentity

~~~~~~ICON~~~~~~ President for Life

• OG Moderators
  • 3,977 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:30 PM

Why would she sing "I'm a drag"
I read it alot around here, but "dragon" would make so much more sense, wouldn't it?

Though I'm not completely sure whether she says "drag and" or "dragon", she could be saying "I'm a drag" to imply that she's a boring singer or a downer of a singer because she mostly sings sad slow ballads, or that she thinks she's uninteresting in real life.
  • delreyfreak likes this

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

#27 OFFLINE   lflflflflflflflflflf

lflflflflflflflflflf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Favourite LDR Song:I'm Indebted to You
  • Time Online: 46d 1h 28m 36s

Posted 17 June 2014 - 05:33 PM

Though I'm not completely sure whether she says "drag and" or "dragon", she could be saying "I'm a drag" to imply that she's a boring singer or a downer of a singer because she mostly sings sad slow ballads, or that she thinks she's uninteresting in real life.

Yeah, I think it's a sarcastic remark like "If you called me a drag then you must be a whore" kinda thing

• demiannn and delreyfreak like this

#28 OFFLINE   lflflflflflflflflflf

lflflflflflflflflflf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,518 posts
  • Favourite LDR Song:I'm Indebted to You
  • Time Online: 46d 1h 28m 36s

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:03 PM

I kinda think it's about Taylor Swift, though Taylor hasn't said anything publicly about Lana. In the interview, she said the artist 'sneered about' her apparently inauthentic style. So to me it sounds like it wasn't a very public accusation. Taylor's been accused of copying Lana's videos because worked with Anthony Mandler twice, sure that might not be her fault... but the comparisons are still there. Both videos were after Lana's:  National Anthem = 22, Ride = I Knew You Were Trouble.

She didn't say anything about copying her sound. Just her style. Taylor's videos were almost carbon copies and she even did a monologue- which would have been her idea and not Mandler's. Also, Taylor has a reputation for being a 'whore' since she's dated so many men especially in the music industry: Fucked Her Way Up To The Top? Lana could be bitter that she used Reeve Carney in her I Knew You Were Trouble video?

A while ago, there was a thread on here which was about a song that Taylor wrote called The Lucky One (which was supposedly about Joni Mitchell but it was never confirmed by anybody apart from Taylor herself in an interview- though, if it were really about Lana do we think she would just downright say it?) Also, Lorde and Taylor are pretty good friends. One of them attended the other's birthday party or something, so if Lorde has any hate against Lana, I'm sure it would have rubbed off on Taylor a little bit. I think Taylor probably said really mean things Lana in private and Lana heard it.

New to town with a made up name in the angel city,
Chasing fortune and fame.
And the camera flashes, make it look like a dream.
You had it figured out since you were in school.
Everybody loves pretty, everybody loves cool.
So overnight you look like a sixties’ queen.

Now it’s big black cars, and Riviera views,
And your lover in the foyer doesn't even know you
And your secrets end up splashed on the news front page.

• PrettyBaby, Hundred Dollar Bill, Lanakai and 7 others like this

#29 OFFLINE   oneym88

oneym88

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBay Area, CA
  • Time Online: 3d 21h 44m 3s

Posted 17 June 2014 - 11:11 PM

I definitely hear 'Dragon' not 'Drag'

• CherryGalore likes this

#30 OFFLINE   Lanakai

Lanakai

hippie witch, mother goddess in training

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 375 posts
  • Time Online: 12d 2h 35m 31s

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:03 AM

I kinda think it's about Taylor Swift, though Taylor hasn't said anything publicly about Lana. In the interview, she said the artist 'sneered about' her apparently inauthentic style. So to me it sounds like it wasn't a very public accusation. Taylor's been accused of copying Lana's videos because worked with Anthony Mandler twice, sure that might not be her fault... but the comparisons are still there. Both videos were after Lana's:  National Anthem = 22, Ride = I Knew You Were Trouble.

She didn't say anything about copying her sound. Just her style. Taylor's videos were almost carbon copies and she even did a monologue- which would have been her idea and not Mandler's. Also, Taylor has a reputation for being a 'whore' since she's dated so many men especially in the music industry: Fucked Her Way Up To The Top? Lana could be bitter that she used Reeve Carney in her I Knew You Were Trouble video?

A while ago, there was a thread on here which was about a song that Taylor wrote called The Lucky One (which was supposedly about Joni Mitchell but it was never confirmed by anybody apart from Taylor herself in an interview- though, if it were really about Lana do we think she would just downright say it?) Also, Lorde and Taylor are pretty good friends. One of them attended the other's birthday party or something, so if Lorde has any hate against Lana, I'm sure it would have rubbed off on Taylor a little bit. I think Taylor probably said really mean things Lana in private and Lana heard it.

Also, aren't Taylor and Jaime King besties now since January?? And Lana pretty much dropped out of Jaime's life. That, to me is incredibly weird.

• CherryGalore and delreyfreak like this

#31 OFFLINE   DeadAgainst

DeadAgainst

I wish I was dead already

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 699 posts
  • Time Online: 96d 12h 57m 39s

Posted 18 June 2014 - 02:06 AM

Remember this http://lanaboards.co...intro-magazine/

Whoever has their 15 minutes of glory has won the game of life.

Do people expect that stars are perfect?

I’m often depressed because I am differently. To me it’s about words that create magic or that my familiy is fine though we are all very different from eachother. I had to distance myself from some people in the last few years because I understood that they have other goals than me. I want to anchor myself with available things, it’s about real relationships. But I can understand envy of other people. I am very jealous of other women when I think that they’ve challenge my place in the music genre.

Lana isn't doing country-pop . . .

• SitarHero, delreyfreak and cheaptrailertrashglm like this

#32 OFFLINE   cinnamon

cinnamon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 192 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia
  • Time Online: 7d 17h 7m 34s

Posted 18 June 2014 - 06:29 AM

I think it's 'drag and', not 'dragon' as well. I still sing it as if it's 'dragon', though :P

Lana_Del_Rey_tumblr_mbs4vckznm1qj6rj2o2_

#33 OFFLINE   BabyBlue

BabyBlue

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Time Online: 18d 22h 57m 28s

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:08 PM

Well whoever this song is about, if they didn't stretch their pussy out for executive producer cock than they have nothing to worry about
will send nudes for XCX Exchange tracks 💓

#34 OFFLINE   LostLolita

LostLolita

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Time Online: 4d 5h 31m 49s

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:09 AM

I was thinking this as soon as I read it's about someone who stole her style. 

But tbh, it could be anybody. 

Love is a setting sun // Is a smoking gun // Is a four letter word // I hope it hurts 

#35 OFFLINE   Trash Magic

Trash Magic

Listens to people who can sing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,211 posts
  • Time Online: 240d 21h 32m 44s

Posted 20 June 2014 - 11:52 AM

I could totally understand some resentment Lanamay have for Lorde. Lorde was literally successful overnight, and welcomed with open arms. All celebrities were talking about her etc, everyone thinking she's the coolest bitch around. Whereas Lana worked so much harder and was met with total criticism, exposés and shit and is still slated by critics.

• delreyfreak and cheaptrailertrashglm like this

#36 OFFLINE   PrettyBaby

PrettyBaby

Whole World's Mom

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,717 posts
  • Time Online: 46d 2h 4m 57s

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:11 PM

I got tested
And I passed, yes
- In the game of alternative female pop singers, Lana professes that she does it best, and this amplified by the fact that she is successful even despite being "tested."

Thank you!

I also think the "Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls" line could possibly be a reference to Lorde's young age, like she has to be put to bed like a baby.

Thank you!!

Thank you!!!

My point is that it's not necessarily exclusively about Lorde (or Taylor, or Gaga). 

Bingo.

First verse = Lorde, second verse = Taylor, Lorde+Taylor = "Riviera girls"?

But halfway through second verse she turns her back on them and addresses the exec (or fans): "Tell me something nice about your favorite girl," who responds, "Need you baby like I breathe you baby..."

• Hundred Dollar Bill, Lirazel, delreyfreak and 1 other like this

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

#37 OFFLINE   Lirazel

Lirazel

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 659 posts
  • LocationPoland
  • Time Online: 11d 10h 32m 8s

Posted 20 June 2014 - 02:53 PM

I would never thought that it could be about Lorde, but I like this interpretation :troll: it's interesting...

• delreyfreak likes this

i am nothing and should be everything

#38 OFFLINE   TrailerParkDarling

TrailerParkDarling

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,385 posts
  • Time Online: 35d 16h 37m 59s

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:24 PM

i hope u guys aren't trying 2 say lana fucked bob leone  :icant2:

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

#39 OFFLINE   Filip

Filip

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Time Online: 22h 14m 16s

Posted 20 June 2014 - 05:41 PM

I'm a dragon you're a whore
Don't even know what you're good for
Mimicking me is a fucking bore
To me but babe

omg
i heard its about lizzy grant, lana to lizzy

UYdHGY2.png

#40 OFFLINE   HEARTCORE

HEARTCORE

twisted elegance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,237 posts
  • Locationcity games
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 109d 9h 5m 47s

Posted 06 July 2014 - 08:17 AM

I'm 99% sure this about Lorde because of the lines Lay me down tonight in my linen and curls and Lay me down tonight in my diamonds and pearls . I think it references Lorde's views towards Lana - she said abut how Lana sings about lavish, privileged lifestyles, whereas Royals is clearly about not living a rich life. Lana is being sarcastic by saying diamonds and pearls and linen and curls; all these items are attributed to wealthiness.

I also think the chorus is satirical as Lana's sarcastically talking about herself; she's saying that she did fuck her way to success - she has no talent.
  • delreyfreak likes this

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users