Sign in to follow this  
MaraDreea

Lana - Kulturnews Interview

So someone on Tumblr just gave me this. They said it's not perfect, so if anyone has a different translation, feel free to post it :)

(At some points it makes no sense, I know, but I think we all get the point of what she's saying; it's the usual Lana interview imo)

d75eba8ed2c96ae33ad8216e83e1ea39.jpg

Lana Del Rey defends herself against accusations retort

The iconic American singer Lana Del Rey still annoyed by the doubt as to its authenticity, which emerged especially in critical circles after millions success of her debut album “Born to die”.

"I’m not a retort product," says the 27-year-old clear in an interview with culture news - and there is much more confident than they were during its debut in 2012, the one kulturnews Award which she received at that time as the best album of the year: "I feel for the first time during an interview not uncomfortable or in defense. “

The head wind that blew in her face at the time, has soured her success, as she says in the interview. "I thought it was even quite terrible," says the native New Yorker, "that I could not really enjoy it all."

Now Lana Del Rey gets a second chance: “Ultraviolence” will be released on June 13. (Jk / mw)

Lana, you moved from New York to Los Angeles. Are you going to a real west coast girl?

Lana del Rey: Let’s hope it! I like the culture and history of the west coast, especially California’s, very much. In my new video for the song “West Coast”, for example, working with my favorite tattoo artist Mark Mahoney, and I find the beach great. I am from Lake Placid, a ski resort in the mountains, near the east coast. If you come from there to the Pacific Ocean as the paradise of the end of the world feels.

You’ve worked yourself up within about three years from the unknown Pop-starlet one of the biggest stars in the world. Spazierst you on the beach and think: Wow, I’ve come damn far?

Del Rey: I think only in terms of my new, casual lifestyle, but not in terms of career. I have other things more important, and I raced not certain.

What makes you so sure?

Del Rey: I have a big family, I have not make sure to stay down to earth, that happens all by itself I am absolutely not an egotist. When I sing, logical, then it comes to me. But at home it’s still much more to Charlie and Caroline, and about what they want so. I make extremely sure that it goes well and they both get what they need to be happy.

Charlie and Caroline are your siblings?

Del Rey: My brother and my sister. We all live together under one roof. The two are 20 and 25, I fit a bit on it. With Barrie, my friend so we are four. I threw this anchor. The house, the relationship, all that I have longed very much as a kind of life, and now I have it. At the same time aiming my career, strive my plans rather away from this stable domestic situation. I must look like I’m the urge for - can bring solid ground under their feet with my ambition and my desire to move forward as an artist, in line - emotionally and literally. At the moment I have no idea how it all should work.

In the title song of your second album “Ultraviolence” you sing “I love you forever”. Is this a barrier song?

Del Rey: No, “Ultraviolence” look back on my time in New York. I was for a while part of a sloping underground scene, which was dominated by a guru. He believed in the concept, finished close people first and then rebuild. I fell for him because that time I longed for security.

"Ultraviolence" is a rather quiet, sometimes anthemic and very atmospheric work. The hip-hop elements of the first album “Born to die” missing.

Del Rey: That’s right. The big headline in “Ultraviolence” was “feeling”. The first album, it was due to the work with producer Emile Haynie, who is an old friend of mine that some songs as a 90-HipHop-Beat got.

How did that Black Keys frontman Dan Auerbach produce the album?

Del Rey: While I was working on “Ultraviolence” already in the Electric Ladyland Studio with Rick Nowels, I met Dan by chance at a restaurant in New York. He was with a few friends on the way to a strip club, and I’m just called. So we all clean in the store. There was “Summertime Sadness”, and we began to dance together. Then we look at so on, laugh and say almost simultaneously: “Would it not very funny when we would go into the studio together” I liked to Dan that he was so spontaneous that he just enter “yes” said to me and my creative ideas and decisions. Six weeks later, the plate was ready.

"Born to die", your debut album was to revive the 60s. Which decade was the inspiration for the style to “Ultraviolence”?

Del Rey: Surely the 70s, from bands like the Eagles. But also a feeling of the early 90s comes to me, in the song “West Coast” you can hear the beat and the synth sounds of then clear out.

The people, as “Video Games” came out strong doubts about your authenticity, the authenticity of your music.

Del Rey: Oh God, yes … That was a huge issue.

Here you have developed despite all classical influences a unique musical language. One recognizes a Lana Del Rey song immediately.

Del Rey: Thanks, that means a lot to me when you say that. I’m not a retort product that I have to clarify again. My music had initially not easy because it was just not as typical and unmistakable attributable to a genre. I have had luck sure - but also a good nose.

You agree that you decided this controversy to you? No one claiming more that you’re a made drawing board product.

Del Rey: Possible, yes. You can not create lasting values ​​in pop music, if you have nothing to tell, or if you are merely a fleeting phenomenon. I already know for sure that I can later tell my children my whole life story through my songs. So I do not know if I won. But I know that today I feel for the first time during an interview not uncomfortable or on the defensive.

You start now to truly love your life and especially your career?

Del Rey: Yes. I found it myself quite terrible that I could not really enjoy it all. And I wanted it so much.

"Ultraviolence" appears in early June.

FINALLY!

An interview where they actually talk about music!

I love her explanation of Ultraviolence (song) btw.

If only we could get a clearer translation of some parts of this:

In the title song of your second album “Ultraviolence” you sing “I love you forever”. Is this a barrier song?
 Del Rey: No, “Ultraviolence” look back on my time in New York. I was for a while part of a sloping underground scene, which was dominated by a guru. He believed in the concept, finished close people first and then rebuild. I fell for him because that time I longed for security.

Hey! There was some guesswork done in the thread about her cult/sect past, and about Ultraviolence [the song] being about the "cult leader"] this interview clears up the air for us! She certainly was a part of some kind of group at one point in her life. 

Thanks for this!

tumblr_m7ggbemthf1r7oj7fo1_500.gif

Hey! There was some guesswork done in the thread about her cult/sect past, and about Ultraviolence [the song] being about the "cult leader"] this interview clears up the air for us! She certainly was a part of some kind of group at one point in her life. 

Thanks for this!

I really like the last answer she gave, because it kind of addresses the whole depression thing that seems to have also been bugging people. It's not an easy life she's living, you know? it comes with good and bad and the fact that she tries her best to stay grounded and "normal" is admirable. :)

Del Rey: While I was working on “Ultraviolence” already in the Electric Ladyland Studio with Rick Nowels, I met Dan by chance at a restaurant in New York. He was with a few friends on the way to a strip club, and I’m just called. So we all clean in the store. There was “Summertime Sadness”, and we began to dance together. Then we look at so on, laugh and say almost simultaneously: “Would it not very funny when we would go into the studio together” I liked to Dan that he was so spontaneous that he just enter “yes” said to me and my creative ideas and decisions. Six weeks later, the plate was ready.

:uh:

:uh:

don't ask lol 

It's ok, the interview is good, I am growing evermore excited to hear this "plate"

same  :slayty:

omg she talks about the guru again. can you post the german version so i can read the original as well? thanks!

I don't have it :( they only gave me this allegedly google translated version ...I'll ask for it tho

omg she talks about the guru again. can you post the german version so i can read the original as well? thanks!

I think this is the original german source:  http://www.kulturnews.de/knde/story.php?id=2944559&artist=Lana%20Del%20Rey

I like this interview but it seems to me like it's somehow the same as the one Grazia published but with some changes. Some questions seem different but others are like completely the same and her answers too. I'm actually pretty sure that it was only one interview and maybe both magazines got the recording and translated it a bit differently and dropped some lines or whatever.

lana_takeitoff_notxb4uwe.gif

I like this interview but it seems to me like it's somehow the same as the one Grazia published but with some changes. Some questions seem different but others are like completely the same and her answers too. I'm actually pretty sure that it was only one interview and maybe both magazines got the recording and translated it a bit different and dropped some lines or whatever.

yeah, it's kind of weird that they're so similar.  

I wonder if she calls the ~guru~ jim because of jim jones.

Interesting theory! She does like her references after all!

Maybe between Jim Jones and Jim Morrison?

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

that'd be fucked up as fuck 

Interesting theory! She does like her references after all!

Maybe between Jim Jones and Jim Morrison?

or maybe the name just speaks to her sonically 

that'd be fucked up as fuck

or maybe the name just speaks to her sonically

It's be fucked up but so is the idea if a cult leader breaking people down to build them up as Lana said he did?

And yeah it might just be that she likes the sound of the name but it's an interesting theory to consider at least :)

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

It's be fucked up but so is the idea if a cult leader breaking people down to build them up as Lana said he did?

And yeah it might just be that she likes the sound of the name but it's an interesting theory to consider at least :)

I'm not dismissing it. I'm just saying it's fucked up what the man did.

so are we pretty sure now that the jim in "ultraviolence" has nothing to do with jimmy gnecco? what about "hundred dollar bill"??

tbh I don't care lol. The first time she performed Ultraviolence, when she got to the part with "cuz i'm your jazz singer, and you're my cult leader" she pointed at the audience, which made for a really nice metaphor about the relationship she was with her fans.:)

I don't think it matters which Jim goes where, at least for me.

so I guess this means it's not about Jimmy Gnecco then? sounds kind of like a Jim Jones reference. weird as I've been studying Jonestown for a college project and it's so dark and... something I can see Lana being interested by.

I have gold in my veins