Sign in to follow this  
lafleursauvage

Lana Del Rey in ELLE Magazine (France)

Hello everyone! 

I have found another interview, forgive me if this has already been posted but I can't seem to find it anywhere else on the board.

I've done my best to translate it from French to English!

(Original Source here)

PS: The "OP Notes" are mine, just to elaborate certain quotes.

Q: Ultraviolence, why this title?

A: "The juxtaposition of "ultra", which gives a certain idea of luxury; and "violence" which, to me, reflects the sound of the album really well — it's chaotic but also street music. [OP note: In other words, the album has a very laid-back and down-to-earth feel.], melodic and sophisticating. Altogether then, [the word] Ultraviolence also means that I've lived between these two states; in my private life, a serene kind of love; in my professional life, a lot of negative press, in my opinion... "

Q: But sadness inspires you, no? 

A: "More so melancholy than sadness. This is where I've found amazing outcome, but I've also had many personal problems to overcome. I have a large family, lovely but complicated. I am responsible for my brother and my sister, who live with me. And I have some trouble moving from one world to the next." [OP Note: meaning, she has trouble finding balance between her personal and professional life.]

Q: You have also had some traumatizing years with regards to your problem with alcohol?

A: "Difficult, not traumatizing. You see.... I am alcohol-prone. In my family, we are all like that, through many generations. Drinking whiskey, it's in my genes! [laughs] As well as being a little off-the-wall."

Q: How did you cope with all the criticism about you? 

A: At the time, I was disappointed. When you release an album, you think it will go unnoticed [by the public], meaning, if it is listened to, it will be appreciated, [but] I never truly predicted that many people would listen to it, and that so many would have such bad things to say about it! As a result that means I've never made a single declaration [about it] because I didn't know what to say."

Q: Was it a masochist reaction?

A: "No, a lot of the attacks came from female journalists. I spoke to them, I knew what they thought. What's happened to me is a product of what journalism is today. The articles describe more the reactions from the critics listening to my music, [rather] than [focusing on] the songs themselves."

Q: Maybe it's because you like to take clichés and use them [appropriate them] for you?

A: "Exactly! In an interview they asked me, 'why do you speak about Marilyn Monroe or Elvis? It's really so cliché!' But I hardly know it because I lived in my own world for a long time. For me I have an intimate relationship with these stars. I've read and re-read their autobiographies. Like the man in my video, who is my tattooer, Mark Mahoney; someone who is very important to me, who has changed my life. In the video, "Tropico", there are also kitsch clichés."

Q: Your looks has changed, it's more rock... 

A: "They have criticized me, saying that I was fabricated, when I really wasn't all that different from any other girl. As a result, I tell myself that in showing myself more naturally, much like how I am in my life, the confusion will be less. At the same time, as soon as I want to prompt a reaction, I come across as the opposed, so..."

tumblr_m7ggbemthf1r7oj7fo1_500.gif

Wow this is a really good translation thank you!

It's interesting what she said about her new look.

So she does put some thought into how she comes off to others in the magazines.....

man her photoshoots this era have been so boring. beautiful, yes but no concepts or visuals or themes or whatever..

Sweeping scents and blue hydrangea. Summer hail and summer stranger.

man her photoshoots this era have been so boring. beautiful, yes but no concepts or visuals or themes or whatever..

I think she has yet to work with bigger magazines, which usually have more elaborate photo shoots. I mean, the album isn't even out.

elle's pretty 'big' idk 

tho she just said in this interview she wants a more natural, simple look, so it's kinda understandable as to why these photos were chosen. He has some good shit tho, so who knows what we'll get to see.

. I have a large family, lovely but complicated. I am responsible for my brother and my sister, who live with me. And I have some trouble moving from one world to the next." [OP Note: meaning, she has trouble finding balance between her personal and professional life.]

This is very interesting. Is the first time I see Lana addressing her family as "complicated". I always thought her relationship with her mother was not that great and inspires her music more then she allows people to know. She also says she's responsible for her siblings which implies in a certain extent she's legally responsible for them,

glgcDdT.gif

. I have a large family, lovely but complicated. I am responsible for my brother and my sister, who live with me. And I have some trouble moving from one world to the next." [OP Note: meaning, she has trouble finding balance between her personal and professional life.]

This is very interesting. Is the first time I see Lana addressing her family as "complicated". I always thought her relationship with her mother was not that great and inspires her music more then she allows people to know. She also says she's responsible for her siblings which implies in a certain extent she's legally responsible for them,

i hope you're not implying she adopted them or some shit like that :eek:

maybe it's simply because she's the oldest and she feels that this responsibility is simply expected of her?   :)

tumblr_m7ggbemthf1r7oj7fo1_500.gif

I think her family life is definitely complicated and a lot probably stems from her childhood. My take is that her parents weren't around a ton during her childhood or if they were, they were pre-occupied with something else. In many cases (not saying that this is what happened with her) one of the reasons a child will develop an alcohol problem early on is because of a stressful or neglectful home life. I'm using the term neglectful in the sense that Rob and Patty weren't around alot, not in the sense that they harmed her physically or anything like that. As for her siblings, I doubt that she is legally responsible for them as both siblings are over the age of 18. I think, being the oldest sister, she enjoys caring for them and gave them the option to come and live with her and escape from Lake Placid. Maybe she's trying to protect them from living the life that she lived in her later teens and early twenties. They all seem to have a great relationship with Rob now and Chuck has expressed how much she enjoys spending time with her mom. Every family is messy and complicated; nice to see how much lana cares about her siblings. 

I think her family life is definitely complicated and a lot probably stems from her childhood. My take is that her parents weren't around a ton during her childhood or if they were, they were pre-occupied with something else. In many cases (not saying that this is what happened with her) one of the reasons a child will develop an alcohol problem early on is because of a stressful or neglectful home life. I'm using the term neglectful in the sense that Rob and Patty weren't around alot, not in the sense that they harmed her physically or anything like that. As for her siblings, I doubt that she is legally responsible for them as both siblings are over the age of 18. I think, being the oldest sister, she enjoys caring for them and gave them the option to come and live with her and escape from Lake Placid. Maybe she's trying to protect them from living the life that she lived in her later teens and early twenties. They all seem to have a great relationship with Rob now and Chuck has expressed how much she enjoys spending time with her mom. Every family is messy and complicated; nice to see how much lana cares about her siblings. 

I know every family is complicated. Some songs in reference to her mother are not the kindest that's why I mentioned maybe was some shit going on with her mom at the time. It's not because it's complictaed you stop loving your mom LOL 

Maybe her mom is an alcoholic since according to this interview "runs in the family genes" 

i hope you're not implying she adopted them or some shit like that  :eek:

Off course not. By the way you can't  be adopted out of the bloom with your parents alive, not even by your own sister LOL. I was just saying maybe she was legally responsable for them since they live with her since they were under age and you need a legal tutor for that

maybe it's simply because she's the oldest and she feels that this responsibility is simply expected of her?   :)

Well, ok but I don't believe her parents or a balanced family would believe the older sister is responsible for her underage siblings when she's in her early twenties herself. 

glgcDdT.gif

Off course not. By the way you can't be adopted out of the bloom with your parents alive, not even by your own sister LOL. I was just saying maybe she was legally responsable for them since they live with her since they were under age and you need a legal tutor

I'm pretty sure they're both over 20 :) idk if you mean that they've been living with her since they were underage or that they're underage now.

Off course not. By the way you can't be adopted out of the bloom with your parents alive, not even by your own sister LOL. I was just saying maybe she was legally responsable for them since they live with her since they were under age and you need a legal tutor

I'm pretty sure they're both over 20 :) idk if you mean that they've been living with her since they were underage or that they're underage now.

What do you think I think? rolls eyessssss

glgcDdT.gif

Hello everyone! 

Q: Your looks has changed, it's more rock... [/size]

A: "They have criticized me, saying that I was fabricated, when I really wasn't all that different from any other girl. As a result, I tell myself that in showing myself more naturally, much like how I am in my life, the confusion will be less. At the same time, as soon as I want to prompt a reaction, I come across as the opposed, so..."[/size]

She listens way too much to other people sometimes. :/