Sentimental Dark Matter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,038 posts
  • LocationFinland
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 35d 9h 6m 49s

Posted 23 June 2014 - 08:12 PM

This is probably my favourite song from Ultraviolence!! It's spine chillingly beautiful in a desolate, empty way! The lyrics are so beautiful and the repetition in the chorus adds to that feeling, it doesn't feel overdone at all! This song is ethereal, there are no other words for it!
  • Hundred Dollar Bill, Hellish, fl0ridakil0s and 1 other like this

tumblr_oq0kv3RGWK1r4igkto2_540.jpg

#42 OFFLINE   Wilde_child

Wilde_child

I'm a sad girl I'm a bad girl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts
  • LocationRio de Janeiro
  • Time Online: 10d 10h 6m 59s

Posted 29 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

I didn't get those
Witch Hazel Witch Hazel
Beytrayal betrayal
verses...

Thanks heaps for the interpretations. Witch Hazel = heroine... it makes sense.

This seems to be about Barrie, yes.

The Man to man... verse reminds me of that french interview in which Lana said she was "a man amongst men". I wonder if she uses those masculine terms referring to herself due to reading almost exclusively male writers?
  • fl0ridakil0s and delreyfreak like this
IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

#43 OFFLINE   SarcasticBeauty

SarcasticBeauty

You Know I'd Go the Distance

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Fan Since:July 6th 2012
  • Time Online: 17d 3h 14m 43s

Posted 29 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

I didn't get those
Witch Hazel Witch Hazel
Beytrayal betrayal
verses...

Thanks heaps for the interpretations. Witch Hazel = heroine... it makes sense.

This seems to be about Barrie, yes.

The Man to man... verse reminds me of that french interview in which Lana said she was "a man amongst men". I wonder if she uses those masculine terms referring to herself due to reading almost exclusively male writers?

My thing is, I understand that Lana writes about drugs a lot.... but I personally dont think witch hazel is all that common of a way to say heroine. Never heard of that before.(I dont think that's what it meant) Like honestly. But I guess, its all perspective.

• DominicMars and delreyfreak like this

#44 OFFLINE   longtimeman

longtimeman

This is an invitation, it's not a threat.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Fan Since:23/11/2013
  • Time Online: 293d 1h 6m 48s

Posted 29 June 2014 - 10:55 PM

This song has been growing on me, but I have to repeat from another thread that there are certain lines in songs that capture a person or a situation so densely and perfectly, and

You're a hard man to love 

And I'm a hard woman to keep track of

are just about the best statement of Lana's whole body of work, bringing to life her, her partner and the room they're in within a few mundane sounding words.

• Lily, delreyfreak and Kitschesque like this

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

#45 OFFLINE   evilentity

evilentity

~~~~~~ICON~~~~~~ President for Life

• OG Moderators
  • 3,940 posts

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:07 PM

Headshot if you're able

It should be obligatory to quote this line when asking Lana to take your picture with her in the front row.
  • Lily, ultraviolenced, fl0ridakil0s and 2 others like this

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

#46 ONLINE   Hundred Dollar Bill

Hundred Dollar Bill

Thunderbolt

• Moderators
  • 4,876 posts
  • LocationMermaid Motel, FL
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Favourite LDR Song:Daytona Meth / HDB / BBM Baby
  • Time Online: 84d 7h 37m 3s

Posted 02 July 2014 - 04:13 PM

It should be obligatory to quote this line when asking Lana to take your picture with her in the front row.

:deadbanana:

eH1mCmL.gif 14417469274.gif eH1mCmL.gif

#47 ONLINE   rimastered

rimastered

maybe pudding

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 706 posts
  • Time Online: 27d 6h 48m 49s

Posted 28 July 2014 - 06:47 AM

Until today, I've felt this song's beauty and also actually read the lyrics. Omg so beautiful

:smokes:

#48 OFFLINE   LifeisBeautiful

LifeisBeautiful

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 105 posts
  • LocationJapan
  • Time Online: 2d 46m 55s

Posted 28 July 2014 - 08:03 AM

These lyrics are epically good at capturing both the love and hate involved in a mentally destructive relationship. I really appreciate the feelings of desperation here, that the only escape is through drugs and, ultimately, in one person simply killing himself. Tragic. Beautiful.
  • GodBlessMe, GangstaBoy, Stardust and 2 others like this

#49 OFFLINE   ultraviolenced

ultraviolenced

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts
  • LocationConey Island
  • Time Online: 17h 51m 36s

Posted 04 August 2014 - 03:00 PM

This song makes me cry every time I hear it. And Lana needs more piano ballads, they really work with her voice.

• Miguel3Zero, Lily, fl0ridakil0s and 4 others like this

YOU CALL ME LAVENDER, YOU CALL ME SUNSHINE

#50 OFFLINE   HeartshapedChevrolet

HeartshapedChevrolet

Hawaiian Sparkle Fruit Punch Dollbaby

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 265 posts
  • LocationAustralia
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Time Online: 1d 13h 40m 58s

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:05 PM

This song fucking kills me everytime
  • fl0ridakil0s likes this
dlnh8i.gif

#51 OFFLINE   Lily

Lily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • Time Online: 12h 36m 56s

Posted 03 April 2015 - 02:59 AM

How did I never hear this before now?!! Was it a bonus on the regular U/V? I have the deluxe edition, and it's definitely not on there. Not complaining, though, as I really needed to hear this today, and it came like a gift!  I wish Lana would do more "piano and voice" songs. And those lyrics! Possibly one of Lana's most perfect songs, which says a lot. 

• Wilde_child likes this

#52 OFFLINE   longtimeman

longtimeman

This is an invitation, it's not a threat.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts
  • Fan Since:23/11/2013
  • Time Online: 293d 1h 6m 48s

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:07 AM

How did I never hear this before now?!! Was it a bonus on the regular U/V? I have the deluxe edition, and it's definitely not on there. Not complaining, though, as I really needed to hear this today, and it came like a gift!  I wish Lana would do more "piano and voice" songs. And those lyrics! Possibly one of Lana's most perfect songs, which says a lot. 

It's unfortunately iTunes only. And it's definitely an important song in her oeuvre. 

• Lily and delreyfreak like this

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

#53 OFFLINE   Lily

Lily

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • LocationDetroit
  • Time Online: 12h 36m 56s

Posted 03 April 2015 - 06:49 AM

It's unfortunately iTunes only. And it's definitely an important song in her oeuvre. 

Thanks! That's disappointing; I'd love to have this on a disk. It's gorgeous. 

#54 OFFLINE   CherryStyles

CherryStyles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts
  • LocationSan Gabriel Valley, CA
  • Time Online: 4d 18h 55m 35s

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:31 PM

Kind of a sad song, but it sounds so cute. I also really like the chirping birds added around the second verse.

• LittleFool, Wilde_child, Lily and 2 others like this

I'm Rosa!

#55 OFFLINE   GangstaBoy

GangstaBoy

ART DECO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Time Online: 157d 20h 13m 29s

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:33 PM

I hear "got your gun, I've got my dare" as if she's egging him on to shoot her or something?? Idk. The verse makes me think they're in midst of a bad argument, he grabs his gun and she's daring him to do something with it.

THIS

Lana wouldn't ruin such an emotional song with a daddy reference... 'Dad' simply makes no sense. I've been listening to this closely and you can't hear the D at the end of it so it's most definitely DARE, since she mentions him having a gun. It's logical lel

Someone change it pls

• Hundred Dollar Bill, BENTLEY and Kitschesque like this

ZmJh1LG.jpg

#56 OFFLINE   HEARTCORE

HEARTCORE

twisted elegance

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,009 posts
  • Locationcity games
  • Fan Since:2013
  • Time Online: 105d 17h 46m 20s

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

THIS

Lana wouldn't ruin such an emotional song with a daddy reference... 'Dad' simply makes no sense. I've been listening to this closely and you can't hear the D at the end of it so it's most definitely DARE, since she mentions him having a gun. It's logical lel

Someone change it pls

tru................although this is also the person who wrote the lyrics "crying tears of gold like lemonade" LOL. as much as i'd love for it to be something else, i think it is Dad (but not in the sexual way, the father-y way imo)

• Kitschesque likes this

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

#57 OFFLINE   GangstaBoy

GangstaBoy

ART DECO

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,841 posts
  • LocationBuenos Aires
  • Time Online: 157d 20h 13m 29s

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:47 PM

tru................although this is also the person who wrote the lyrics "crying tears of gold like lemonade" LOL. as much as i'd love for it to be something else, i think it is Dad (but not in the sexual way, the father-y way imo)

LOL I know but in this case it doesn't even sound like dad if you listen closely... It makes sense to talk about courage, he has a gun but it doesn't matter cause she's brave enough and challenges him -one gun on the table, headshot if you're able- how could her dad be helpful in that situation? lel

:whatever2:

ZmJh1LG.jpg

#58 OFFLINE   annedauphine

annedauphine

Lady Gagging

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • LocationPARIS YO
  • Fan Since:December 2014
  • Time Online: 316d 23h 11m 12s

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:33 PM

Been recently obsessed to the point of madness with this song. I always have trouble differentiating the romanticized accentuated version of reality and the part of fiction and this song is such an amazing example. I know it's sketchy and really ~fangirl theory~ of me but I can't help wondering if she *did* took violet pills and what actually are these violet pills and are they supposed to cure a certain mental illness and these lyrics definitely feel like the most personal ones for me. Weird name because for me it's definitely the saddest song. "One gun on the table headshot if you're able" makes me wonder if she's talking about suicide or to someone else like trying to confront him. Both seem relevant. And is she willing to commit suicide because of said mental illness and I don't know, it seems so EASY to understand and yet it seems to hide such a bitter truth, like she's letting us guess it without having to tell things clearly but wow, I really wonder how much sadness she actually feels. I could talk about it for hours and say not much but turn in circles around the point :( I just want to know what happened, not necessarily in a voyeuristic way, I just really want to understand her better and I'm very interested in this story even if it's fictional, it's so intense, so gently violent, it's fucking hardcore but with a very calm melody and the word "happiness" repeated over and over again, she's a genius.

The fact that it's obvious to me that it's dedicated to Barrie doesn't help. I love this song so o o ooo muchCHCHchCh Jesus Christ I'm tearing up again, the second verse is a fucking masterpiece

yqnfj.png

#59 OFFLINE   Creyk

Creyk

Lana is better than you fav

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts
  • LocationNY
  • Time Online: 79d 15h 17m 42s

Posted 03 May 2015 - 08:57 PM

Been recently obsessed to the point of madness with this song. I always have trouble differentiating the romanticized accentuated version of reality and the part of fiction and this song is such an amazing example. I know it's sketchy and really ~fangirl theory~ of me but I can't help wondering if she *did* took violet pills and what actually are these violet pills and are they supposed to cure a certain mental illness and these lyrics definitely feel like the most personal ones for me. Weird name because for me it's definitely the saddest song. "One gun on the table headshot if you're able" makes me wonder if she's talking about suicide or to someone else like trying to confront him. Both seem relevant. And is she willing to commit suicide because of said mental illness and I don't know, it seems so EASY to understand and yet it seems to hide such a bitter truth, like she's letting us guess it without having to tell things clearly but wow, I really wonder how much sadness she actually feels. I could talk about it for hours and say not much but turn in circles around the point :( I just want to know what happened, not necessarily in a voyeuristic way, I just really want to understand her better and I'm very interested in this story even if it's fictional, it's so intense, so gently violent, it's fucking hardcore but with a very calm melody and the word "happiness" repeated over and over again, she's a genius.

The fact that it's obvious to me that it's dedicated to Barrie doesn't help. I love this song so o o ooo muchCHCHchCh Jesus Christ I'm tearing up again, the second verse is a fucking masterpiece

She is talking about Barry, and how he is so dark/depressive all the time (ties in with Black Beauty's meaning). She says that if he is mostly doom and gloom and talks as if he  can't be remedied then why doesn't he just do it - end it all and end his "suffering". Of course she is calling him out on his weakness and cowardness with the line. (you complain all the time but you are afraid to do anything to improve your situation)

It's really clever songwriting

#60 OFFLINE   annedauphine

annedauphine

Lady Gagging

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,368 posts
  • LocationPARIS YO
  • Fan Since:December 2014
  • Time Online: 316d 23h 11m 12s

Posted 03 May 2015 - 09:36 PM

Yes I agree thank you, I think that's the obvious meaning, I just wonder what's the part of truth and the part of romanced song writing. It's for some reason so different than the rest... So blatantly personal... And the fact that it's an iTunes exclusive makes me wonder too, it's as f she wanted to pass a message without having to say it, which wouldn't be that unusual for her right, she's so weird ilh. Basically I just wonder if she has a mental illness and get treated for it but I know it shouldn't matter that much. As long as she's happier now.

yqnfj.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users