Rafael

Lana Del Rey Covers FADER Magazine

Um, it'd be one thing if she said something like, "Feminism or lack thereof does not enter my consciousness when writing songs, nor should it have to. To be frank, I just don't have an interest in feminism. I also don't believe that art should have to adhere to ~socially correct~ conventions nor should it have to be ~progressive~. I write about my fucking personal experiences, and I'm not about to comprise my art to pacify those that don't respect how I chose to live my life with the person I loved during a time I felt happy and fulfilled." 

But no, she didn't. It's one thing to state a lack of engaged/active interest, it's another to DISMISS a social and political movement that has undoubtedly bettered the lives of countless women around the world, including HER. Christ. Cringing hardcore at the "LOLOL FEMINISM IS SILLY AND TRIVIAL IN COMPARISON TO SPACE AND SCIENCE I AM SMART". It just kills me when Lana does her faux-intellectual schtick (politics, metaphysics, etc), because she always comes out looking like a complete idiot. 

True, true.

I think she should've said that, too.

I guess what she said was a bit ignorant, considering the movement has helped women; including herself.

But still, she has the right to say and believe whatever she wants.

I get bored whenever people start talking about religion because I think it's pretty mundane/dumb.

I'm way more interested in talking about science-related topics.

My point is that there are people who will disagree with me and those who will support me, just like there are for Lana's view on feminism.

So yeah, idk  :smokes3:

Um, it'd be one thing if she said something like, "Feminism or lack thereof does not enter my consciousness when writing songs, nor should it have to. To be frank, I just don't have an interest in feminism. I also don't believe that art should have to adhere to ~socially correct~ conventions nor should it have to be ~progressive~. I write about my fucking personal experiences, and I'm not about to comprise my art to pacify those that don't respect how I chose to live my life with the person I loved during a time I felt happy and fulfilled." 

But no, she didn't. It's one thing to state a lack of engaged/active interest, it's another to DISMISS a social and political movement that has undoubtedly bettered the lives of countless women around the world, including HER. Christ. Cringing hardcore at the "LOLOL FEMINISM IS SILLY AND TRIVIAL IN COMPARISON TO SPACE AND SCIENCE I AM SMART". It just kills me when Lana does her faux-intellectual schtick (politics, metaphysics, etc), because she always comes out looking like a complete idiot. 

I agree with this and would like to flop with you for your cohesive and true argument, I feel like she didn't handle the question properly at all.

tumblr_ni9eu5I7Qh1qzmb8eo5_500.png

Either she didn't handle it well at all (probably bc she's just cornered to give an answer to a "complex" topic) Now I do not think it is complex at all but ignorance makes it out to be.  Or  her words were cut out of place and put there to seem controversial as IMO they did with talking about UV 

Over the years, four themes have come to define her lyrics, whichever the persona: indecisiveness, submissiveness, reverence for American icons and self-destructiveness, both within herself and the men she idolizes in song. It’s a lot of “He Hit Me (And It Felt Like A Kiss),” and in fact, she quotes that infamous song unwinkingly on the title track of Ultraviolence, before continuing, You’re my cult leader, I love you forever, I love you forever. 

We, diehard fans, know that she doesn't say ohhhh you hit me and I can't leave you ohhhh yeahhh hit me yeahhhh you are my leader guide me with your fist  In fact for me UV shows the struggle of loving him SO much BUT not going back because he is abusive. But how did the interviewer make it out to be? Like she's just helpless and is romanticizing abusive relationships

:noparty:

I agree with this and would like to flop with you for your cohesive and true argument, I feel like she didn't handle the question properly at all.

mLeStMS.png

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

ok while we're on the topic of feminism, everybody (outside the fanbase) has been saying that her lyrics are always antifeminist and the themes are always about her depending on men etc BUT i think it's pretty apparent in some other lyrics that she does believe in female empowerment. most obvious example would be the bridge of the TIWMUG demo ("this is what makes us girls now baby its why we rule the world now baby") other examples would be in driving in cars with boys, kinda outta luck, she's not me... that's just my opinion :whatever: she's not anti feminist by any means

tumblr_n44ko1s3Pk1rkudelo1_400.gif

ok while we're on the topic of feminism, everybody (outside the fanbase) has been saying that her lyrics are always antifeminist and the themes are always about her depending on men etc BUT i think it's pretty apparent in some other lyrics that she does believe in female empowerment. most obvious example would be the bridge of the TIWMUG demo ("this is what makes us girls now baby its why we rule the world now baby") other examples would be in driving in cars with boys, kinda outta luck, she's not me... that's just my opinion :whatever: she's not anti feminist by any means

This is one of the misconceptions of feminism... IT IS NOT ABOUT FUCKING EMPOWERED WOMAN WHO DON'T NEED MEN. IT IS ABOUT WOMEN MAKING CHOICES FOR THEMSELVES AND HAVING THE POSSIBILITY TO DO SO. In this matter it is as okay for lana to depend on men (as long as it's her will) as it is on any other woman to decide to be independent or I mean you get the point. It's not wrong to dress up for a man as long as its your choice. I'ts not wrong to never dress up or put on make up.(not mentioning how feminism affects men here cause that's not what we're talkting about)  it's not that fucking hard, google is your friend, essays are cool and slam poetry can be ur friend. 

i particularly like the line "you should never come between a woman and her dreams, and a man who never knew his place"....  :smokes3: 

Me, I am a feminist but I get where she is coming from. I admire Lana for her authenticity.

How many of you cared about feminism before you saw a Tumblr post about it??

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

Back then, sometimes she’d make four videos for the same song, but most times, nobody much saw them.

Try six... #Gramma

“I’d been sick on tour for about two years with this medical anomaly that doctors couldn’t figure out,” she says, to my surprise. “That’s a big part of my life: I just feel really sick a lot of the time and can’t figure out why."

Perhaps her drinking was self-medicating?

"It’s just heavy performing for people who really care about you, and you don’t really care that much about yourself sometimes. I thought it was sad. I thought my position was sad. I thought it was sad to be in Ireland singing for people who really cared when I wasn’t sure if I did.”

Hate to say it, but that's been evident in some of her performances.

the 27-year-old Lana Del Rey

Sigh. :facepalm:

By the time I click off my recorder, after nearly 90 minutes, her publicist has twice come out to end the interview.

:benmawson:

In both cases, she rebuffs him.

Sit your ass down, Ben. Let her fucking do what she's fucking doing!

and her British stylist, Johnny Blueeyes, who during the shoot was prone to bursting into the room and crying, “You’re a staaaar!”

:lel: Omg, he's worse than all y'all. :smh:

“I met everyone the same week,” she says. “Because I was very shy, I just sort of stuck with them.”

Inertia. Ah, that explains why Ben still manages her.

she recorded an acoustic album as May Jailer just the same. (That record, Sirens, was never released, though it eventually leaked online.)

Is this the first mention of Sirens in a profile?

Under the name Lizzy Grant, she released an EP, Kill Kill, and recorded an album, Lana Del Ray A.K.A. Lizzy Grant, which sat on 5 Points’ shelf for two years before it was digitally released in 2010.

No, no, it's just Lana Del Ray. Fact checking, people. :facepalm:

Today, Born to Die has sold over 7 million copies worldwide, more than Beyoncé’s last two albums combined.

You'll never hear me use this word this way again, but... slay. No wonder Bey's tryna copy her. :troll:

"I lived down in Alabama with my boyfriend"

Man, just when I was beginning to think this was metaphorical, or an old lie she stopped telling, she says this again. When the fuck was this?

In the video, she has sex with a 40-something biker on a pinball machine.

Sex? I didn't seen any penetration or implied penetration. :uh:

Now that's a version of the "Ride" video I'd like to see. :creep:

In a number of others, she’s with a scrawny white guy with tattoos.

:lmao:

Okay, interviewer, you're forgiven whatever faults your profile may have. Scrawny white guy. LOL.

Not that I'm one to talk.  :ohno: 

“For me, the issue of feminism is just not an interesting concept,” she says. “I’m more interested in, you know, SpaceX and Tesla, what’s going to happen with our intergalactic possibilities. Whenever people bring up feminism, I’m like, god. I’m just not really that interested.”

Yes, perhaps at the end of the universe some unimaginably sophisticated being that is the pinnacle of evolution (not to be confused with me, easy mistake, I know) will look back and say, yeah, in the grand scheme of things, that brief period of just a couple millennia when female humans were not treated equal to their male counterparts, not that big of a deal... Wait, but I'm supposed to feel sympathy for a rich pop star that had to endure a few mean comments on her way to the top? Quick, someone call Neil deGrasse Tyson so he can denote the SNL backlash on his cosmic calendar.

I ask her why she’s always being choked in her videos, and she gives a fitting answer: “I like a little hardcore love.”

Now we know how Lana would reply in this thread. :brows:

“I had a seven-year relationship with the head of this label, and he was a huge inspiration to me. I’ll tell you later when more people know. He never signed me, but he was like my muse, the love of my life.”

Wait, what? Where the hell does a seven-year relationship fit in? :shock:
Or are you just trollin' the Lanalysts now? :lanasrs:

Compared to Born to Die, the new album sounds far more like straight-up rock music, recorded in live takes with a Nashville band assembled by producer Dan Auerbach. She’s withdrawing from contemporary pop, a space in which she says she never felt comfortable; gone are the genre-blurring samples that gave her debut the impression of trying too hard to be trendy. The album feels like a sprawling American desert, devastatingly huge, windswept by shrieking electric guitars... She seems to have found confidence in psych-rock and narcotized swing.

:angie:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Every woman does not have to be a feminist. I sure as hell am not. In the words of Shai Woodley, the idea of raise power to women, take power away from men doesn't work. Even if she was an anti-feminist, what is the problem with that?

but LOL at the fact that she's just bored with and uninterested in the subject of feminism

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

This is one of the misconceptions of feminism... IT IS NOT ABOUT FUCKING EMPOWERED WOMAN WHO DON'T NEED MEN. IT IS ABOUT WOMEN MAKING CHOICES FOR THEMSELVES AND HAVING THE POSSIBILITY TO DO SO. In this matter it is as okay for lana to depend on men (as long as it's her will) as it is on any other woman to decide to be independent or I mean you get the point. It's not wrong to dress up for a man as long as its your choice. I'ts not wrong to never dress up or put on make up.(not mentioning how feminism affects men here cause that's not what we're talkting about)  it's not that fucking hard, google is your friend, essays are cool and slam poetry can be ur friend. 

no i agree with you, women can depend on men, please men, etc and still be feminist but a lot of other feminists don't think that and that's why they attack lana's lyrics,  thats why i gave those examples. in my opinion lana is both dependent and independent in different ways

people are setting their own standards for an ideal feminist and it's getting ridiculous. I saw a post that was like "whys everyone shocked that lana isnt a femnist, she idolizes lolita and sings about getting hit" like  :facepalm:  x10000000

idc how "uneducated" about it she may seem, i think lanas definition of a feminist summed it up, a woman who feels free to do what she wants. If it's ironic to agree with lana on her definition of feminism so be it

tumblr_n44ko1s3Pk1rkudelo1_400.gif

I had intended to start this discussion elsewhere, but after reading the Fader interview I thought I'd comment here briefly.  I joined the Lanaboards because I have a deep emotional connection to the music of Lana Del Rey. I feel like she is talking for me.  I am also a student of them Myers-Briggs Temperament Indicator.  I am an INFP.  Based on what I've read on this site, I believe there are quite a few members that are also INFPs (see http://lanaboards.com/index.php?/topic/2833-myers-briggs-type-indicator/  hat tip to Colacunt.)

INFPs are relatively rare personality types representing 2-5% of the population.  I speculate that Lizzy Grant is an INFP as well, which perhaps explains why so many INFPs are attracted to her.  After reading the Fader article I am more convinced that she is.  I will follow up in the conversations area as to exactly why I think this.

But to understand the INFP, you need to understand the following traits commoin to an INFPs: (see http://similarminds.com/jung/infp.html)

creative
smart
idealist
loner
attracted to sad things
disorganized
avoidant
can be overwhelmed by unpleasant feelings
prone to quitting
prone to feelings of loneliness
ambivalent of the rules
solitary
daydreams about people to maintain a sense of closeness
focus on fantasies
acts without planning
low self confidence
emotionally moody
can feel defective
prone to lateness
likes esoteric things
wounded at the core
feels shame
frequently losing things
prone to sadness
prone to dreaming about a rescuer
disorderly
observer
easily distracted
does not like crowds
can act without thinking
private
can feel uncomfortable around others
familiar with the darkside
hermit
more likely to support marijuana legalization
can sabotage self
likes the rain
sometimes can't control fearful thoughts
prone to crying
prone to regret
attracted to the counter culture
can be submissive
prone to feeling discouraged
frequently second guesses self
not punctual
not always prepared
can feel victimized
prone to confusion
prone to irresponsibility
can be pessimistic

These traits are core to who we are.  It is difficult to live in a world that has expectations of normalcy since we are anything but.  The Fader article seems to highlight much of this.

Anyway, rather than hijack this thread I will continue this discussion elsewhere.

Oh, and as an aside ... we take criticism as a personal attack.  There are many INFP blogs that discuss this issue ad nauseum.  Imagine what she must have gone through 2012-2013.  I would have been having suicidal thoughts on a daily basis as well.

Peace.

Watch what you say to me, Careful who you're talkin' to.

INFPs are also notoriously victimized in their own worlds 

i know this because part of me is INFP and then the other part of me is INTP but i think lana might be INTP these days because she doesn't seem to really process her words or her thoughts emotionally. like the whole 'hit me and it felt like a kiss' thing -- she's not thinking about (or feeling) the emotional repercussions of those words and how they might affect those in situations related to actual domestic violence. rather she just romanticizes the notion of 'violence' through a more calculating or 'rational' lens (from what i can tell) -- conflating it with ~passion (also defined in a more logical, intellectual sense, from what i'm realizing). i'm starting to think that she hasn't actually felt or experienced all these things and that she's just intelligent and imaginative and knows how to manipulate her words into holding more visceral weight. whether that makes me love her even more or somewhat less, i don't know. all i know is she's fucking nuts

the whole "I'm the quietest person on set everywhere i go" blah blah its all so calculated and unnecessary. like, we get it lana. you're sad and weird and introverted and beautiful too thanks for the reminder 

ZRBNill.jpg

For the love of God and for the sake of this forum, Lana needs to stop being asked questions about feminism.  :defeated: