CruelWorld

Interview with Brazilian newspaper "Veja"

Someone needs to translate it...
http://veja.abril.com.br/noticia/celebridades/lana-del-rey-a-musa-triste-da-musica-indie

EDIT:
Here it is...

Lana Del Rey, the sad indie singer

Depressives songs and a blasé look, the american singer became a popstar and opened doors for another girls that may be considered "different" in the musical scenario.

The american singer have 28 years, and have a lot of qualities. She is beautiful, famous, have a big crowd in her performances at festivals and have some special fans like: Kim Kardashian, Katy Perry, Daniel Radcliffe and David Lynch. Talking about Lana and Kim, the popstar was invited to sing at the Kardashian's wedding earlier this year. And there's some rumors that say that George Clooney asked the same favour and he will pay any price to have the indie singer doing a performance at his wedding.

Besides her popularity, Lana recently said that wishes that she was already dead.
Her beautiful lips, sad/blasé eyes, and a deep voice made Lana a success. In 2012 with her album Born to Die, her second album in a studio, sold more than 7 millions of copies all around the world. 
Ultraviolence, released in june, is following the same way, in a month, the album already sold 300.000 copies on USA

“I was a risk for the record label. It wasn't a good investment. But I'm persistent and I never gave up”

VEJA: Your road to the fame was long and was ever changing. How do you feel about being the center of the attention?

LANA: It's good to see my style and see how things are working good. I've performed a lot of times and the experience of doing a show in different places is great, they fit with the changes of my mood. The energy that my fans gave to me are great and scares me at the same time. It's always a surprise. Even having some experience, I feel kinda nervous when I see the crowd.

VEJA: Do you still have some issues about having a big crowd? 

LANA: No, especially because I'm not nervous about my album. Now that it's finished, I can give more attenton to my shows. While I'm touring, I can't be creative. But now I feel that it's all okay, it's a part of the job.

VEJA: When you became famous, a lot of rumors about you were spread, saying that your style is fake. How do you deal with this? 

LANA: It's easy to judge somebody when you do not know them and know how their personal growth happens. When a singer gets bigger, it's hard to say if they care about their music and if they deserve their success. I'm gonna still doing my work and I'll became more and more mature. On set, I do not have a lot of people helping me and I do not have somebody that makes me do stuff that I do not like. 

VEJA: If your style wasn't created, it probably have bothered a lot o people because your style is different compared to the actual pop music scenario.Does somebody tried to change your style to fit the mainstream pop style? 

LANA: Only at the beginning of my career. I was a risk for the record label. It wasn't a good investment. But I'm persistent and I never gave up. I felt great when "Video Games" became a hit. I really like that song and the version that became famous was the version that I wanted to everybody hear.I played it for like a year and my actual record label liked the song, but they were kinda worried about it because it was too slow.

VEJA: Dan Auerbach produced Ultraviolence. How this work begun? Are you a fan of The Black Keys?

LANA: I know the work of The Black Keys, but I didn't knew Dan very well. We had a great work together. We've decided to make the album while we were knowing each other in NY. We were having such a great time with a couple of friends and he looked at me and we said "Why don't we make this album together?" I realized that he was the producer that I was looking for. He put on some electric guitars and a 70's style on the album. He also uses the same weird references that I use. Also, it was good to change the producer, I've worked with the same guy for like three years.

VEJA: With a several leaks, your album was prejudiced. How do you felt about do the same work again? 

LANA: It was prejudiced, but it was a blessing because I hate those songs. It was basically songs that I wrote for some singers or songs that I was working at, so, when these songs were leaked, I've realized that I do not like how they sounds like, so I've started all over. When I thought that I had finished them, I met Dan. It was wonderful, it was I met this new sound that I've fell in love.  

VEJA: Why "Ultraviolence"?

LANA: It's my darkest album, even with some romantics elements, I do not like to hear some songs, even if I've wrote them. I do not feel okay to listen some tracks, but I feel great when I listen to anothers. Make this album was hard in some moments because if it's not natural, then I do not work well. The time was almost ending, so I had some anxiety crisis, I do not work well under a lot of pressure, but at the end, everything worked in a good way.

VEJA: So you had some anxiety crisis while you were doing your album?

LANA: Yeah, I had the feeling that my album would not become a big hit. I really try to not be sad and be a pessimist, but that's who I am. I couldn't like anything that I've wrote for the album, so, I begun to tour and my fans made me feel more confident. In the first week, I realized that it is what I want to do for the rest of my life. It was great, because I was afraid to sing again, but, this year made me feel confident about still singing.

VEJA: Are you okay now?

LANA: Absolutely. I'm really excited and I love "Ultraviolence". I was really worried and I wanted to write something that I'd like to, because everything in my life was complicated. Music is the only that was really stable to me. I wanted this album to be perfect because I've worked so hard on it and I'll perform the songs at my concerts.

VEJA: Your "visual identity" and your videos walks besides your musical style. When you write a song, do you think about how the video will be?

LANA: That's for sure, I always think about the history that influenced the song and how it get connected to what I've wrote. I'm lucky because I've always worked with great directors like Yoann Lemoine and Anthony Mandler. We have a great and unique connection. I've always wrote the video concept for them. I think that it was kinda boring for them, probably that's why they do not work with me anymore. But the magic is that at the end, everything is like I was thinking about, and it's pretty hard to happen. That's the opposite control that I have at my personal life, I've showed every detail to the directors and they've made a beautiful work. 

VEJA: Do you have the same cares with the album artwork?

LANA: Yes, I do. I do love to see the progress of the artwork. For "Ultraviolence", I've worked with Neil Krug, he changed the way that I've seen some stuff. He have transformed polaroids into perfect portraits for my album. For me, the artwork helps to give the album some individuality. So, when I saw the artwork, I've started to see "Ultraviolence" as it is, like the story that it is. The story begins with a electric guitar solo that Dan made in "Cruel World", the first song.

VEJA: You've moved from NY to LA during the process of creation of the album. How this change influenced at the album?

LANA: I was living in London for some time and I moved back to USA. So, I've moved to California, I also lived in NY for several years, and these years influenced me to write "West Coast". In "Broolyn Baby", I sing about Brooklyn, as the title suggest. Well, I could bring all my worlds to a album. That's great and makes me happy.

Credits for translation: @@vanillaiceys

I just did google translate: 

Lana Del Rey, the sad muse of indie music  With depressive and look blasé songs, American singer became a superstar and opened doors to other girls considered strange nest in the music industry

The American singer Lana Del Rey, 28, has plenty of attributes. It's beautiful, famous, pout shows in festivals around the world and has a long list of celebrity fans such as Kim Kardashian, Katy Perry, Daniel Radcliffe and even the filmmaker David Lynch. Kim, moreover, invited her to sing at his trendy wedding earlier this year. Rumor has it that George Clooney made ​​the same request and would be willing to pay whatever it takes to have her singing in her wedding in September this year.

Despite such popularity, Lana recently told the Guardian that would already be dead and his songs - strangely sung at weddings - let up gay character in the book Girl Pollyanna , by Eleanor H. Porter in depression.

The combination of full lips, sad-looking and blasé drawl is part of the success formula of the girl, who emerged in 2012 with the album Born to Die , his second studio, and sold over 7 million copies worldwide. For comparison, the figure is more than double the commercialized by Beyoncé with her ​​last album.

Ultraviolence , launched in June this year, following similar path. In one month in stores, the album ranks among the top ten rock albums best sellers of the year, according to Nielsen SoundScan specialized company, and is now close to 300,000 copies only brand in the United States.

"I was a risk to the labels. It was a good investment. But I am persistent and never gave up, "says the singer in an interview with SEE site.

The risk and went after other singers Lana indie rock, who also find glamor in sorrow and buy clothes in thrift, became good bets to record and instant hits on YouTube.

His path to fame was long and marked by change. As is now living in the center of the spotlight? 's really nice to have my style and see that everything goes easily. I have participated in many concerts and festivals and the experience of being on stage in different places is great, matches my mood swings. The energy of the audience motivates and scares at the same time. It's always a surprise to imagine how it will be. Despite the experience, I still feel a chill in the stomach to go on stage.

You already confessed to having stage fright in the past. Overcame this problem? Yeah, especially because I am no longer anxious about my record. With it done I can focus on the shows. When I'm on tour, I interrupt my creative process, I have trouble writing on the road. But now I feel that everything is part of the flow.

When you burst onto the music scene much criticism about his style being manufactured and false emerged. How do you deal with that? 's hard to judge someone from afar and imagine your process of personal growth and your team. As things gain greater proportions, is complicated to say if she really cares about the music, it really deserves what is living. My idea is to keep doing my job and mature. Behind the scenes, I have many people helping me, or someone that pushes me to do things I dislike.

If it was not made, then your style should have bothered, because pop music scene of the clashes. Nobody tried to change for you to stay closer to the most famous singers?  Only in the early days. Record labels saw me as a risk. I was not a good investment, but I'm persistent and never gave up. So I felt great when music Video Game became a success. I really like that song and the version made ​​famous was the one I wanted the audience to hear. I played it for a year and the record that I'm now like, but it was on the back foot. They said it was very slow.

Dan Auerbach of The Black Keys, produced the album Ultraviolence . How did this partnership? Were you a fan of the band? I knew enough of the work of The Black Keys, but did not know much about Dan worked well together. We decided to make the album in partnership when we met in New York. We were having fun with some friends, look at us and speak: "Why do not we do a record together?". I realized he was the producer I was looking for.He added distorted guitars and a footprint 1970s through the disc. It also has the same bizarre references I. And it was good to change a little because I worked with the same producer for three years.

Your drive has a delay when your computer was stolen. How did everything start from scratch? was a delay, but it was also a blessing because I hated the songs leaked. Were things I was still working and more than half I was writing for other people. Then, when they were released, I realized I did not like that sound. So restarted from scratch. When I thought I had finished the album, I met Dan went to the studio and started to rewrite everything I've written in the past two years. It was wonderful, it was when I discovered this new sound that I loved.  

Why the title Ultraviolence ( ultraviolent , in literal translation)? aversion is my darkest and, despite the romantic elements of my music, disco feel to hear some songs. Even though I have them written. I do not feel good to hear some tracks while I'm in love with others. Writing this album was very painful at times, because if I do not write in a natural way, then does not work.The weather did not cooperate and the deadline was tight. I began to suffer from anxiety when I realized I had no more time. Not work well under pressure, but in the end we got there and everything worked.

Then he suffered an anxiety attack doing Ultraviolence ?  Yeah, I had the feeling that my next record would not be successful. I try not to listen to these voices, but I'm a little pessimistic and felt sad. Not like anything I wrote. Then I started touring and the audience motivated me. In the first week of shows, I realized I wanted to do this for the rest of his life. It was great because I got to a point that he did not know if I would ever sing again. However, this year was decisive for me. 

Believes it is right now? Absolutely. I'm so excited and I just love this album. I was very worried, wanted to write something that I really liked, because everything in my life has been very complicated, especially in my personal life. Music is the only stable thing for me. And so long as a hard disk, you want it to be perfect, because they will have to live with it and sing the songs at concerts.

Your identity and your video clips also go hand in hand with their musical style. When you compose already imagine how will the video? Yeah, I usually think of everything and imagine a story from beginning to end that connects with the music. I was lucky to work with great video directors, as Yoann Lemoine and Anthony Mandler. We have a strange and good chemistry. I drew the whole idea for them. I think even irritated them from time to time. Probably why they do not work with me anymore. But the magic is that in the end everything was exactly as I imagined at first, and this is very rare. This control is the opposite of what happens in my personal life. I translated thorough way what I dreamed for directors, and they have adapted to the screen faithfully.

Have the same care with the art of the CD booklet? got. Love following the work of art. For this album I worked with photographer Neil Krug. He managed to change the way I saw things.He turns on great polaroids portraits and helped me figure out what I wanted for the disc art. To me, the look of the cover and liner notes also help in the identity of the CD. So I could see the cover and the back cover started to imagine the album as a whole. I see Ultraviolence as a story. The story begins with the guitar solo that Dan is the first song, Cruel World .

You moved from New York to Los Angeles during the production of the album. As this change has influenced? Switch is also a big part of the history of the disc. I was living in London for a time and returned to the United States. I went to California, which is another world to me. I spent many years in New York, and they inspired the song  West Coast . The song Brooklyn Baby , in which Dan plays guitar, is about Brooklyn, as the title says. Anyway, I could bring all my worlds into the disc, and that makes me happy.

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif

guess she was referring to the 2011 hack and the songs that surfaced from it, not the rick nowels demos.

Shame :( it always saddens me when she trashes her past work

VyIsfwC.jpg

Lana Del Rey, the sad indie singer

Depressives songs and a blasé look, the american singer became a popstar and opened doors for another girls that may be considered "different" in the musical scenario.
The american singer have 28 years, and have a lot of qualities. She is beautiful, famous, have a big crowd in her performances at festivals and have some special fans like: Kim Kardashian, Katy Perry, Daniel Radcliffe and David Lynch. Talking about Lana and Kim, the popstar was invited to sing at the Kardashian's wedding earlier this year. And there's some rumors that say that George Clooney asked the same favour and he will pay any price to have the indie singer doing a performance at his wedding.
Besides her popularity, Lana recently said that wishes that she was already dead.
Her beautiful lips, sad/blasé eyes, and a deep voice made Lana a success. In 2012 with her album Born to Die, her second album in a studio, sold more than 7 millions of copies all around the world. 
Ultraviolence, released in june, is following the same way, in a month, the album already sold 300.000 copies on USA

“I was a risk for the record label. It wasn't a good investment. But I'm persistent and I never gave up”

VEJA: Your road to the fame was long and was ever changing. How do you feel about being the center of the attention?

LANA:It's good to see my style and see how things are working good. I've performed a lot of times and the experience of doing a show in different places is great, they fit with the changes of my mood . The energy that my fans gave to me are great and scares me at the same time. It's always a surprise. Even having some experience, I feel kinda nervous when I see the crowd.
VEJA:Do you still have some issues about having a big crowd? 

LANA:No, especially because I'm not nervous about my album. Now that it's finished, I can give more attenton to my shows. While I'm touring, I can't be creative. But now I feel that it's all okay, it's a part of the job.

VEJA: When you became famous, a lot of rumors about you were spread, saying that your style is fake . How do you deal with this? 

LANA: It's easy to judge somebody when you do not know them and know how their personal growth happens. When a singer gets bigger, it's hard to say if they care about their music and if they deserve their success. I'm gonna still doing my work and I'll became more and more mature. On set, I do not have a lot of people helping me and I do not have somebody that makes me do stuff that I do not like. 

VEJA:If your style wasn't created, it probably have bothered a lot o people because your style is different compared to the actual pop music scenario.Does somebody tried to change your style to fit the mainstream pop style? 

LANA: Only at the beginning of my career. I was a risk for the record label. It wasn't a good investment. But I'm persistent and I never gave up. I felt great when "Video Games" became a hit. I really like that song and the version that became famous was the version that I wanted to everybody hear.I played it for like a year and my actual record label liked the song, but they were kinda worried about it because it was too slow.

VEJA:Dan Auerbach produced Ultraviolence. How this work begun? Are you a fan of The Black Keys?

LANA:I know the work of The Black Keys, but I didn't knew Dan very well. We had a great work together. We've decided to make the album while we were knowing each other in NY. We were having such a great time with a couple of friends and he looked at me and we said "Why don't we make this album together?. I realized that he was the producer that I was looking for. He put on some electric guitars and a 70's style on the album. He also uses the same weird references that I use. Also, it was good to change the producer, I've worked with the same guy for like three years.

VEJA:With a several leaks, your album was prejudiced. How do you felt about do the same work again? 

LANA:It was prejudiced, but it was a blessing because I hate those songs. It was basically songs that I wrote for some singers or songs that I was working at, so, when these songs wew leaked, I've realized that I do not like how they sounds like, so I've started all over. When I thought that I had finished them, I met Dan. It was wonderful, it was I met this new sound that I've fell in love.  

VEJA:Why "Ultraviolence"?

LANA:It's my darkest album, even with some romantics elements, I do not like to hear some songs, even if I've wrote them. I do not feel okay to listen some tracks, but I feel great when I listen to anothers. Make this album was hard in some moments because if it's not natural, then I do not work well. The time was almost ending, so I had some anxiety crisis, I do not work well under a lot of pressure, but at the end, everything worked in a good way.

VEJA:So you had some anxiety crisis while you were doing your album?

LANA: Yeah, I had the feeling that my album would not become a big hit. I really try to not be sad and be a pessimist, but that's who I am. I couldn't like anything that I've wrote for the album, so, I begun to tour and my fans made me feel more confident. In the first week, I realized that it is what I want to do for the rest of my life. It was great, because I was afraid to sing again, but, this year made me feel confident about still singing

VEJA:Are you okay now?

LANA:Absolutely. I'm really excited and I love "Ultraviolence". I was really worried and I wanted to write something that I'd like to, because everything in my life was complicated. Music is the only that was really stable to me. I wanted this album to be perfect because I've worked so hard on it and I'll perform the songs at my concerts.

VEJA:Your "visual identity" and your videos walks besides your musical style. When you write a song, do you think about how the video will be?

LANA:That's for sure, I always think about the history that influenced the song and how it get connected to what I've wrote. I'm lucky because I've always worked with great directors like Yoann Lemoine and Anthony Mandler. We have a great and unique connection. I've alway wrote the video concept for they. I think that it was kinda boring for they, probably that's why they do not work with me anymore. But the magic is that at the end, everything is like I was thinking about, and it's pretty hard to happen. That's the opposite control that I have at my personal life, I've showed every detail to the directors and they've made a beautiful work. 

VEJA:Do you have the same cares with the album artwork?

LANA:Yes, I do. I do love to see the progress of the artwork. For "Ultraviolence", I've worked with Neil Krug, he changed the way that I've seen some stuff. He have transformed polaroids into perfect portraits for my album. For me, the artwork helps to give the album some individuality. So, when I saw the artwork, I've started to see "Ultraviolence" as it is, like the story that it is. The story begins with a electric guitar solo that Dan made in "Cruel World", the first song.

VEJA:You've moved from NY to LA during the process of creation of the album. How this change influenced at the album?

LANA:I was living in London for some time and I moved back to USA. So, I've moved to California, I also lived in NY for several years, and these years influenced me to write "West Coast". In "Broolyn Baby", I sing about Brooklyn, as the title suggest. Well, I could bring all my worlds to a album. That's great and makes me happy.

Sorry for the several mistakes! I'm kinda sleepy, but I've tried!

guess she was referring to the 2011 hack and the songs that surfaced from it, not the rick nowels demos.

Shame :( it always saddens me when she trashes her past work

I still see this as uncertain, as if it's possible she is mainly referring to the Nowels leaks (e.g. Hollywood, JFK, AFFA, Starry Eyed) plus the fact that Meet Me in the Pale Moonlight and Behind Closed Doors Final (both leaked prior to UV) were speculated as being on UV. But yeah, somebody really needs to nail her stance regarding her unreleased and associated issues (like why the singers she wrote for didn't carry through, which I still find implausible). Her history on how she views the leaks is inconsistent. There was a radio interview where the interviewer mentioned liking "Puppy Love" or "Marilyn Monroe" and LDR responded that a "leaked sessions" CD might not be a bad idea. Still, the fact that she may not like Hollywood or JFK is depressing, although she obviously liked them while she was producing them, otherwise they wouldn't be finished products.

P.S.
There was a thread on the Leaked Sessions idea.

also thank God for tumblr archives:

from re-listening just now:
Her reaction to Puppy Love being liked was positive, and the leaked sessions idea was actually LDR's.

Your drive slowed when your computer was hacked. Did everything have to start from scratch? It was a delay, but it was also a blessing because I hated the songs which leaked. There were things I was still working and more than half I was writing for other people. Then, when they were released, I realized I didn't like that sound. So I started from scratch. When I thought I had finished the album, I met Dan and went to the studio and started to rewrite everything I'd written in the past two years. It was wonderful, it was when I discovered this new sound that I loved.

"It's 2011, and we should all be aware of exactly how fast technology is developing" - Lana Del Rey

So, when I saw the artwork, I've started to see "Ultraviolence" as it is, like the story that it is. The story begins with a electric guitar solo that Dan made in "Cruel World", the first song.

I SWEAR IF SHE REPEAT THIS ONE MORE TIME

tumblr_p0v8ex4Llk1raxa8qo1_540.jpg

"...my fans made me feel more confident. In the first week, I realized that it is what I want to do for the rest of my life. It was great, because I was afraid to sing again, but, this year made me feel confident about still singing."

GOD BLESS.

I swear if I read one more time about how she met Dan... Some fan needs to interview her once so we can get actual information. Regardless, it was a nice interview and good to know that she's finally more relaxed about concerts.

VEJA:With a several leaks, your album was prejudiced. How do you felt about do the same work again? 

LANA:It was prejudiced, but it was a blessing because I hate those songs. It was basically songs that I wrote for some singers or songs that I was working at, so, when these songs wew leaked, I've realized that I do not like how they sounds like, so I've started all over. When I thought that I had finished them, I met Dan. It was wonderful, it was I met this new sound that I had finished them, I met Dan. It was wonderful, it was I met this new sound that I've fell in love.

Does this confirm that the "Untouchable Five" were for the "spiritual album and stripped-back" album we were meant to have? The Trans-Am album?

image.png

Does this confirm that the "Untouchable Five" were for the "spiritual album and stripped-back" album we were meant to have? The Trans-Am album?

:lanasrs: We don't even know what 'Trans-Am' really is...

ZmJh1LG.jpg

Nice read ! I liked reading about her feelings towards doing shows, the fact she wants to keep on singing (!!! thank god  !! Although I feel she ALWAYS will, I was so scared she would abandon the music business and keep it to herself. Anyway ..) 

Weird that she says she'a pessimistic person, when she often says she's not... Her mood really changes .. 

Interesting to read about those directors, as well ...

MDM-Lanaboards-Banner.jpg