Linethic

Dan Auerbach Speaks About "Ultraviolence" Label Issues

Maybe you are the delusional one... :oopna:

Ultraviolence is a work of art. In point of fact, every album is a work of art. These people are artists and what they do is create art. Some may not have the taste to appreciate some--like myself with techno music, I can come up with one hundred reasons why I do not like it but it is my own opinion and my own taste. I have been told not to criticise it for it is my opinion and I just do not like it. The fact that I am tone deaf to it does not mean that it is not music.

Many people do not like Lolita; they believe it to be a wrong, inappropriate and repulsive novel. But to me, I adore Vladimir Nabokov's posh and proper prose and I do, in fact, enjoy the story itself.

What I am trying to say is that just because you believe it to be bad, it does not necessarily mean it is bad. It is to you and some others (I guarrantee you are not the only one - and I bet some other users on here, too) but not to everyone.

I understand you were only voicing your opinion, but "And you will realise this in few months...You won't play it anymore..." is rather personal. How are you to know this? Have you had a premonition? Have you foreseen such? I highly doubt it. As I have said before, we are unique, thus our opinions also being unique. Everyone will have different thoughts on Ultraviolence. That is the way art is concieved, unless, of course, every single human being on this planet is brainwashed and is forced to think a certain way. But then we will no longer be ourselves and the world would be as boring as hell. Of course, I want everyone to like Ultraviolence just like I want everyone to like me, but unfortunately, that is impossible.

But returning to my point, I am sure there are many users on here that will still be listening to Ultraviolence for years to come, and I am certain that I am one of them,

To me, Ultraviolence is a work of art and a brilliant one at that!

Honey I have living proof for my words

444974096.jpg

I was saying similar thing for her and got similar treatment.

I know that I sound as hater (with beautiful hair :hairflip: ), but I'm telling that because I care.

Market is a hard game. If you're not playing by rules, you are out soon.

I could write you a lot, but I'll rather be quiet. 

tumblr_p0v8ex4Llk1raxa8qo1_540.jpg

Right - would that be why people today still listen to records by 'difficult' artists who had bad relationships with journalists, changed their styles all the time and generally didn't 'play by the rules', like Lou Reed, Bob Dylan, John Lennon, Tom Waits, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd, Miles Davis, Patti Smith, REM. I could go on and on. All of these artists have had journalists and the public write them off as 'washed up' or 'finished' at numerous points over time, but they all still sell tonnes of records - even the ones who aren't still alive - and, unlike the thousands of one hit wonders who followed all the rules and found that they bored the world after their fifteen minutes was over, they're not only remembered as the answer to trivia questions.

I'm not as lucky as you to have a crystal ball to see the future, so I don't know what the next 10-20 years will look like for Lana, but if she keeps on putting her heart into records like Ultraviolence, she'll at least still be worth listening to, even if the mainstream moves on, and she'll probably be happier then as well.

Honey I have living proof for my words

I was saying similar thing for her and got similar treatment.

I know that I sound as hater (with beautiful hair :hairflip: ), but I'm telling that because I care.

Market is a hard game. If you're not playing by rules, you are out soon.

I could write you a lot, but I'll rather be quiet. 

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

I mean, in my opinion, Lana's getting better with each new record. I'm not saying any song on UV is as good as Video Games (cause in my opinion she won't EVER have a song as brilliant as that... and doesn't need to) but can anyone here honestly say they didn't hate or dislike ANY of the songs on BTD/PARADISE? I hate Dark Paradise (luv the demo tho) and I know people here dislike DMD, MDM, or Carmen. And if you seriously love each track on BTD then you're most likely one of those PARADISE haters. My point is you're probably looking back a little too fondly on the BTD era. If you really analyse it I promise a lot of you will realise you like UV just as much if not more.

As for her commercial success, well UV did pretty fantastic for such an alternative style record. I can't really tell wether that's just because people love the album itself or it's just down to idiots looking for another summertime sadness remix but I guess we'll see whenever she chooses to release her next album. I honestly don't care as long as I like it and she's happy with it.

I mean, in my opinion, Lana's getting better with each new record.

Don't say that, she wants to run out of talent by the time her time comes and she stands in front of god :troll:

Her label was right this time.

She's kinda underperforming with her new material lol

But let me keep it cute.

As much as I love UV. BTD is still my fav simply because it strikes a perfect balance between Alternative and Pop.

UV is too uncommercial for success.

She can't do well without a good single anymore.

Just look at Beyonce, we all know what happened with her latest release, how she sold more than 1 million so fast and all that...but her singles did not do well. The album is not even in the Top 200 for a long time now.

Singles (played on radio) give exposure which is necessary for an Album to have longevity and success, in most cases.

I love Lana no matter what, but it would be so nice if she was also slaying the charts, at least top 20 or something

I mean, in my opinion, Lana's getting better with each new record. I'm not saying any song on UV is as good as Video Games (cause in my opinion she won't EVER have a song as brilliant as that... and doesn't need to)

Slightly off topic, sorry:

I agree with you! Video Games is untouachable and very unique. 

I often wonder why her other songs co-written with Justin Parker never reached the same level, even though they're great in their own right. Maybe it's the Robopop production that really set it apart? It's kinda weird that she never colIaborated with them again.

It could also be that there's this collective mythologization of Video Games because for a lot of us it was the first Lana song we ever heard.  

Why should it be about sales or commercial success? I don't beliwve Lana ever intended to get higher sales than BtD with UV. She created Ultraviolence with the idea of creating good music, not gaining worldwide success; she already has that. An album's worthiness should not be measured by its place on the charts.

Music is a business. 

The label cares about sales. 

It shouldn't be just about sales but success plays a huge part.

Like how critics realizing how they were wrong about BTD. If it had sold shit...lana wouldn't be here today with UV.

why do all my faves have such shitty labels  :defeated:

marina has the MESS that is 679 and Lana has interscope  :deadbanana:

this is really interesting to read. i really like reading stuff about what is behind releasing an album/stuff the artist usually doesn't mention. 

REJPMf7.png

"From how great the songs were to how confident she is as a musician to her fucking singing every song live, with a handheld microphone and a seven-piece band. I mean, get the fuck out of here, who does that? Nobody does that, there hasn't been a number one pop record that was recorded like that in forty, fifty years."

I shed a tear or two

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

Now I know what happened to Lust for Life... It could have been a good album.

It could've been that she traded her vanity project Honeymoon over the next record being a crowd pleaser aka the LFL that we know but I'm just making guesses

butterflies-gif-2.giflana-dancing-smaller.gif

ugh her label was RIGHT 

all since uv she thinks she can fucking give us these awful lazy choruses and her moaning for 2 minutes through every song, ugh can she finally come up with something else? they better shelve LDR6 

H3s83yX.gif

i76mrxw.png