CruelWorld

Lana covers "Complex" magazine - August/September Issue

I wish it was longer...the best interview I've read

but what did she meant by "The crop of the photo on the album cover is similar to the crop of your first two album covers."

did she meant the Rainbow font?

I think it's about how you see Lana's upper half in all the covers; from her head to roughly her torso.

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

I really like the interview. She's refreshingly open, admits her weaknesses, is able to put actions into context, and overall, just seemed more confident and open than in the RS interview (which I also liked overall, despite it's ending). The fact that she basically took full accountability for the dissolution of she & Barrie's relationship seemed uncharacteristically mature and realistic for her. In this piece, she comes off as someone who understands their own quirks, and is aware of their power — as both creative assets and destructive pitfalls. You get the sense she's trying to find a balance that works.

I relate to her sense of never being totally content where she is. She pined for California, and now she's there and misses Brooklyn. Oh Lana. 

Also intrigued by the way she describes Dan. Makes you wonder... 

Wait, why does it say she's 27? How long ago was this interview... I mean usually when magazines fuck up her age it's at 28, but 27? :sideeye:

They probably interviewed her in mid-June before her birthday and aren't aware of her real birthdate, ha.

The interview is brilliant and so un biased. Finally an interview that focuses on her music and not her authenticity. And the photos are so beautiful its unreal. :defeated

I can see her and Neil Krug collab for a very long time tbh. He and only he catches her in such a beautiful and unique way tbh

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

How long have you been smoking?

Since I was 17. It’s crazy. That’s why I try to play mostly outdoor festivals.

:omfg2:

So good interview! It was all about the recording process, music, her projects, plans and dreams, not about death and her sadness about the critics and what people think of her.

After her reactions in some of her last few interviews, I literally laughed out loud when I read the tagline to the article "Lana Del Rey knows what you think about her. And she’s learned to live with it." But you know what? After reading this, I've concluded it's apt. This is not only a great interview, but she comes across extremely well in it. She seems very open and honest. There's just a real maturity and levelheadedness here that she hasn't displayed in some of her other recent interviews. (See @@SitarHero, I told you I can be positive!)

The only mark of her wealth is a gaudy diamond-encrusted choker with a cross pendant hanging just above her sternum. Its sparkle evokes the cartoonish shine of costume jewelry, though it’s every bit as real as she has turned out to be.

I love this. What a great metaphor for her.

I like that luxe sound of the word “ultra”

That kind of luxe just ain't for us @@butterflies

I relate to being the person who people come to for “such a change from the old routine,” but not being the main thing. I had a long-term relationship for seven years with someone who was the head of a label and I felt like I was that change of routine. I was always waiting to become the person who his kids came home to, and it never happened. Obviously I had to seek other relationships, and I felt like that became a pattern. I was younger—24, 25 at the time. I had known what I wanted to do for a long time. I had been serious about music since high school, and I stopped drinking when I was 18. By 24, I was a pretty serious person. I thought I was a writer, and I was a singer. I thought I knew what I wanted my path to be. The people I was drawn to were already established, but they were probably looking for someone more on their level, age-wise.

:hdu: Last time I thought maybe she was just spinning a yarn about this, but here she is again saying it was with a label head and lasted for seven years and there's a lot of specific detail. (He had a family with kids!) How early do we think this could have started? Is she saying she was "24, 25" when it ended?

Like a lot of other people, I think foundationally I was hymn inspired—musical hymns, not Him, Jesus. [Laughs.]

That MPG inspiration. Dissing her bestest friend tho.

How did you meet Dan?

I met Dan at The Riviera strip club in Queens. He was with Tom Elmhirst, who’s an amazing mixer, and I was with Emile Haynie. Emile asked if I wanted to go hang out with them and I had a lot of fun for the first time in a long time.

:godlaugh2: Ha! This is great! I love that Emile signed his own death sentence. The irony is delicious.

How long have you been smoking? Since I was 17. It’s crazy. That’s why I try to play mostly outdoor festivals. [Laughs.]

Organizing your tour schedule around your smoking habit. Classic.  :smokes2: 

Dan Auerbach changed things for me, and I have no idea why. He was just interested in me. That made me feel like maybe what I was doing was interesting. He gave me some confidence back.

It's not a crisis of confidence, it's not. She is confident. She is. Dan gave it back to her.

He listened to songs that were folk songs at the time, and he thought that maybe, with some revision, they could be more dynamic.

so Dan Auerbach effectively murdered the second coming of Lizzi Grant  :bye3:

It would be interesting to hear her demos, but I have a hard time imagining a lot of the songs on UV in a folk style and I'm happy with the results, so I think it's extremely premature to be hating on Dan. That said, I would love a return to her folk/anti-folk roots on a future album. :flutter:

TO BE CONTINUED... Fucking quote limits. :crossed:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

CONTINUED

There are a few different ways to take your song “Fucked My Way Up to the Top.” Is it about people not wanting to give you credit for your success? Or is it about fucking people to get to the top?
It’s commentary, like, “I know what you think of me,” and I’m alluding to that. You know, I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry, but none of them helped me get my record deals. Which is annoying.

I knew it. ;) Get it girl. I like that she owns it. And the fact that she says that she didn't sleep with them in order to get ahead, but is completely honest that she wished they'd helped her nonetheless. It echoes some past statements of hers:

Where is the strangest place you've ever performed? Ever written a song?

LG: Strangest performance: Alone in a basement for a handsome record executive.
Strangest ever written: Back at his office while I was making out with him.

Pitchfork: Have people offered you opportunities in the music industry if you were willing to change your sound or look?
LDR: No. People have offered me opportunities in exchange for sleeping with them. But it's not 1952 anymore. Sleeping with the boss doesn't get you anywhere at all these days. Nobody cared about wanting to change the way I looked or sounded because no one was interested in the music.

In an interview with Pitchfork you said that people have offered you opportunities in exchange for sleeping with them. Is this true? At the corporate level?

LDR: [Laughs, then becomes tongue-tied]

I mean... uh... uh... I mean things get a little crazy, I guess.

Um... There are some situations when you kind of know.

... I mean, it's sort of a loaded question.

What’s something you’ve destroyed that’s actually valuable to you?
Probably the relationship I’ve been in for the last three years. Definitely demolished that through tons of depression and insecurity. Now it’s just an untenable relationship, impossible because of my emotional instability.

It's interesting and refreshing to see her take responsibility for whatever role she played in the dissolution of their relationship. It's big of her to say that. It seemed kind of tactless to me when she was running down Barrie and airing their dirty laundry publicly trumpeting it to the world in past interviews.

Sometimes people do their best writing when fucked up.
And I am a little fucked up. This whole experience has fucked me up.

There's a real self-awareness and maturity here, saying this shit affected me, but with a sense of acceptance and without the usual finger-pointing or blame. She comes across much more sympathetically in this interview.

I go to the same place in Los Angeles all the time, Ago on Melrose. I order the same thing every time, penne alla vodka.

Penne alla vodka? Sober?  :willcut:

this bitch has been getting her fix in a bowl of pasta...

Um, you do realize the alcohol is cooked off, right? Also, yum.

CONTINUED AGAIN...

CONTINUED

I love Chet Baker’s documentary Let’s Get Lost, which influenced my video for “West Coast,” which Bruce Weber shot.

Nice work LanaBoarders. :gclap:

I have a ’70s playlist that I listen to daily. A lot of Bob Seger, who I love.

The inspiration behind the Detroit reference in "Guns and Roses"?

He’s probably the main person I listen to, and also the Eagles and Chris Isaak, Dennis Wilson and Brian Wilson.

Paging :monicker:

The good thing about catching so much grief from critics is that you literally do not fucking care. It put me in a mind frame where I expect things not to go right, because they generally don’t. But it’s not a pessimistic place. The music is always good, in my opinion. That’s what I expect now from my career, that the music is going to be great and the reaction’s going to be fucked up.

Acceptance. Realistic expectations. Mellow. Dare I say it, shades of cool.

If they thought it was supposed to be categorized as pop music, that was the first mistake. It wasn’t made to be popular. It was more of a psychological music endeavor. I wasn’t out to make fun, verse-chorus-verse-chorus songs. I was unraveling my history through music. People were confused as to why I would stand on stage and just sing and not perform. To me, performing is just channeling and emoting through inflection, cadence, phrasing. That’s pretty different from what’s popular, so I think maybe they thought it shouldn’t be popular.

I'm still somewhat baffled by the fact that her audience is mostly teen and early twenty-something girls and gays. Sometimes I wonder what the demographics would be if BTD hadn't had the hip-hop beats and samples.

FIN

Wow, I love that she was so open about her relationship with Barrie ending.  It's weird how she claimed it was due to his mental issues in the RS interview but now says it was destroyed by her OWN mental problems.  Sad.  At least she admits it.

Guest Dot
The cracks in the veneer of glamour humanize her and are one of the reasons she’s been able to mix self-serious writing about true love and death with provocative, pseudo-comical lines like the infamous “My pussy tastes like Pepsi Cola.”

Referencing her best song and her catchphrase, obviously. #iconic

What defines being in a good place?

Feeling really happy and just circumstantially like nothing’s going wrong, which becomes more difficult but that’s only my experience. I think a lot of people think the whole thing is really great. Making Brooklyn my home base for the last two and a half weeks has really helped me out, like I’ve actually started thinking conceptually that I have this addition, an addition to this record that could come really easily. That hasn't happened in a long time. Not since I wrote that Paradise addition to Born to Die, which I really loved.

OMG :hdu: Did she film the video for Brooklyn Baby???

Why did you choose to cover Nina Simone’s “The Other Woman” on Ultraviolence?

[Sings, “The other woman has time to manicure her nails, the other woman is perfect where her rival fails.”] I relate to being the person who people come to for “such a change from the old routine,” but not being the main thing. I had a long-term relationship for seven years with someone who was the head of a label and I felt like I was that change of routine.

:sadcore:

I guess we know who she's singing about in Cola now. But wow...7 years??? And she was 24, when they "broke up". That isn't too long ago. Someone better re-Lanalyze her songs.

There was a time after Paradise came out when you said you weren’t sure that you were going to make any more music. What changed?

A year after Born to Die was released, a lot of people asked me what the new record would sound like and when it was going to come out. I said, “I don’t know if there will be another record.” I didn’t have songs that I felt were good or personal enough. Dan Auerbach changed things for me, and I have no idea why. He was just interested in me. That made me feel like maybe what I was doing was interesting. He gave me some confidence back. He listened to songs that were folk songs at the time, and he thought that maybe, with some revision, they could be more dynamic. I started to see a bigger picture. For me, if I don’t have a concept it’s not worth writing a whole album. I don’t like it if there’s no story.

^ Probably why Angels Forever wasn't included on Ultraviolence.

There are a few different ways to take your song “Fucked My Way Up to the Top.” Is it about people not wanting to give you credit for your success? Or is it about fucking people to get to the top?

It’s commentary, like, “I know what you think of me,” and I’m alluding to that. You know, I have slept with a lot of guys in the industry, but none of them helped me get my record deals. Which is annoying.

Axl Rose? :teehee:

What’s something you’ve destroyed that’s actually valuable to you?

Probably the relationship I’ve been in for the last three years. Definitely demolished that through tons of depression and insecurity. Now it’s just an untenable relationship, impossible because of my emotional instability.

Sometimes people do their best writing when fucked up.

And I am a little fucked up. This whole experience has fucked me up.

Fucked you up how?

I don’t know. It’s been hard. I was in a good place when I wrote my first record because I wrote it for fun, but then, I felt like everything that went with the record was heavy. I was also trying to deal with stuff with my family. The world was heavy for a couple years. That’s why I liked Dan: He was casual. It didn’t have to be so serious.

Yet, people want her and Barrie to get back together... I think Is This Happiness is about him or their relationship.

I love this interview, and @@evilentity pretty much summed up my thoughts. One thing, though - the seven year affair/relationship wasn't a marriage - she might have been with him every month, or every six months, or some other irregular pattern, and we don't know how much it overlapped with other relationships and events. 

This would be annoying if it was published by a real newspaper.

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png