fl0ridakil0s

Lana taught me that...

Hello! a long time I wanted to start this topic to know how many more people have learned so many things with Lana like me.

Searching for the meaning of their songs, I first met a lot of magnificent books and movies, like Scarface, Summer of Sam, Gods and Monsters. Also been interested in the biography of Marylin and Elvis, just like Bonnie and Clyde's. I had never heard about Jim Morrison and James Dean, and after listening to her songs they began to appear in several other cases and bc of her I already knew them. 

I didnt knew what a groupie was, or Parliament, Chateau Marmont, Coney Island, well as much of the American presidents, and the expression "match made in heaven".

Anyway, I'd like to know how many of you non-americans learned things about American culture because of Lana, and the americans who met books and movies bc of her.

Thank you! ♥

8bed6302093afb3474710b83255143a8.gif

Same as you. I don't really like the American culture that much (one of the reasons why I decided not to go to college there) but Lana did make me wanna know more about it (apart from what I learned in US History xd). 

Lana sambando na vida das passivas~

EotAQlJ.jpg

I ended up reading Lolita (and seeing both films, and cultivating an unhealthy obsession with the whole thing in general) after becoming a fan of Lana. I'd always been curious, but I'd never really gone off the deep end until then.

So yeah, there's that. I also found my favorite film ever thanks to a fanmade video for the Carmen acapella demo. :P

rihKQ8M.gif

Hello! a long time I wanted to start this topic to know how many more people have learned so many things with Lana like me. I am brazilian, and as much as we have a certain fascination for american culture here, we dont know many things about it. 

Searching for the meaning of their songs, I first met a lot of magnificent books and movies, like Lolita, Scarface, Summer of Sam, Gods and Monsters. Also been interested in the biography of Marylin and Elvis, just like Bonnie and Clyde's. I had never heard about Jim Morrison and James Dean, and after listening to her songs they began to appear in several other cases and bc of her I already knew them. 

I didnt knew what a groupie was, or Parliament, Chateau Marmont, Coney Island, well as much of the American presidents, and the expression "match made in heaven".

Anyway, I'd like to know how many of you non-americans learned things about American culture because of Lana, and the americans who met books and movies bc of her.

Thank you! ♥

Watch Breakfast at Tiffany's. She makes references to this movie in her lyrics. It's an amazing and profound movie if you don't focus on its bling-bling aspect.

For me its a bit different, I was born in Puerto Rico and since its part of the US, I've seen the american culture that Lana references since I was a kid.  When I got into Lana, I knew some of the references she says (except the poets and the Chateau)

Same as you. I don't really like the American culture that much (one of the reasons why I decided not to go to college there) but Lana did make me wanna know more about it (apart from what I learned in US History xd). 

like what?

Lana taught me that he hit me and it felt like a kiss.

Someone had to say it, or it wouldn't feel right.

Or that loving her was never enough? 

She makes so many references to American culture that I didn't get until I listened to her that I began to question my identity as a born and bred 'merican. I didn't know what:

• Skid Row
  • Chateau Marmot
  • Bugsy Malone (+ all the other names in LoD besides SS/Adrian and Bonnie/Clyde)
  • Cosa Nostra
  • Lolita (the book)
  • Top Shelf Liquor
  • Yayo
  • Drugstore Cowboy
  • PBR (I had a tame teenage life)
  • That Americans were Young, Dope, and Proud
  • Cherry Knots

were, and a few more that I can't think of right now. I never realized how truly sheltered I was. :(

I wish UV had as many references as the rest of her music, or do I just miss them?

Goddesses don't speak in whispers. They scream.

For me its a bit different, I was born in Puerto Rico and since its part of the US, I've seen the american culture that Lana references since I was a kid.  When I got into Lana, I knew some of the references she says (except the poets and the Chateau)

like what?

First of all I just want to make it clear that I don't hate the US and I do wish to visit the country some day. Well, I also didn't wanna pay 20k a year, not have the right to work outside of campus, probably live in a small campus city, and I really wanted to go back to Europe :)

EotAQlJ.jpg

Lana taught me that loving her was never enough.  :icant:

Or that loving her was never enough? 

She makes so many references to American culture that I didn't get until I listened to her that I began to question my identity as a born and bred 'merican. I didn't know what:

• Skid Row
  • Chateau Marmot
  • Bugsy Malone (+ all the other names in LoD besides SS/Adrian and Bonnie/Clyde)
  • Cosa Nostra
  • Lolita (the book)
  • Top Shelf Liquor
  • Yayo
  • Drugstore Cowboy
  • PBR (I had a tame teenage life)
  • That Americans were Young, Dope, and Proud
  • Cherry Knots

were, and a few more that I can't think of right now. I never realized how truly sheltered I was. :(

I wish UV had as many references as the rest of her music, or do I just miss them?

I didn't know what yayo was; there are a whole bunch of slang terms for cocaine. I don't know what Drugstore Cowboy is (I googled it though and I have an idea now). Don't worry, she pulls from a lot of places, some obvious and some not.

dangit I just realized you made the same UV joke as me

First of all I just want to make it clear that I don't hate the US and I do wish to visit the country some day. Well, I also didn't wanna pay 20k a year, not have the right to work outside of campus, probably live in a small campus city, and I really wanted to go back to Europe :)

??? You have the right to work outside of the college. Plenty of students take jobs at grocery stores and the like.

And there are plenty of options if you want to live in a big city. Not sure what colleges you were looking for, though.

I feel you on paying $20k a year, though. And if you went to a high tier private uni, prepare to pay up to $60k a year  :deadbanana: That's why most people stay in state; state discounts, baby. It'd be tough for an international student.

Lana taught me that loving her was never enough.  :icant:

I didn't know what yayo was; there are a whole bunch of slang terms for cocaine. I don't know what Drugstore Cowboy is (I googled it though and I have an idea now). Don't worry, she pulls from a lot of places, some obvious and some not.

dangit I just realized you made the same UV joke as me

??? You have the right to work outside of the college. Plenty of students take jobs at grocery stores and the like.

And there are plenty of options if you want to live in a big city. Not sure what colleges you were looking for, though.

I feel you on paying $20k a year, though. And if you went to a high tier private uni, prepare to pay up to $60k a year  :deadbanana: That's why most people stay in state; state discounts, baby. It'd be tough for an international student.

International students can't work outside of campus?? I know that because I did my reseach and I have a sister and a cousin who study in the States. And yes, I could live in a big city (the only ones I'd actually like to live in are NYC, San Francisco, Chicago and Philadelphia.) but it's just not the same as living in a big city in Europe (Accept for NYC, which I think might be amazing). 

But I did make the right decision by coming to Paris, I can feel it :)

EotAQlJ.jpg

International students can't work outside of campus?? I know that because I did my reseach and I have a sister and a cousin who study in the States. And yes, I could live in a big city (the only ones I'd actually like to live in are NYC, San Francisco, Chicago and Philadelphia.) but it's just not the same as living in a big city in Europe (Accept for NYC, which I think might be amazing). 

But I did make the right decision by coming to Paris, I can feel it :)

Hmm, intéressant...

Interesting because I don't know many people who like Philly and I personally think it's a pretty cool place. I've been there a dozen time and I like the contrasts between people and how trashy some of its citizen can be. I had a collection of picture I took with my cellphone, I called it "people of philly" as I found them similar to "people of walmart" lol. Like this guy wearing a huge green garbage bag on his head for whatever reason or this fat lady wearing flip flop when its snowing not to ruin her pedicure. I was there in August, smoking a cigarette out of my hotel and some random guy passed me by and yelled at me to quit smoking. A fun city!

Interesting because I don't know many people who like Philly and I personally think it's a pretty cool place. I've been there a dozen time and I like the contrasts between people and how trashy some of its citizen can be. I had a collection of picture I took with my cellphone, I called it "people of philly" as I found them similar to "people of walmart" lol. Like this guy wearing a huge green garbage bag on his head for whatever reason or this fat lady wearing flip flop when its snowing not to ruin her pedicure. I was there in August, smoking a cigarette out of my hotel and some random guy passed me by and yelled at me to quit smoking. A fun city!

lol xd

I was accepted at Drexel University and it was my 3rd option.

EotAQlJ.jpg

I was already into Jimmy Dean, MM, Nabokov (Lolita is my favourite book), Whitman, Elvis etc and her references made me love her even more. But I am learning some stuff about Americana, Bohemian poetry and Beat culture thru Lana. I am thankful an artiste like LDR is in this world.

IMG_20140716_101607.jpg

That smoking is hella cool :rock:

And I know a bit more about drugs because of Lana.

But I also am more aware about this stuff, so I won't be fooled into doing it as much :scajo2:

I also redeemed my love for cars that I lost when I was nine. When I was younger, I used to love watching racing and car shows and anything that had to do with cars, especially Volkwagens because you know the Herbie movies? I was in love with them and I had all five and I had a little Herbie toy model and a remote control car. I also had four Volkswagen toy models. I won a 1939 purple vintage car model (THAT I JUST DISCOVERED IS A CHEVROLET* OH MY GOD :shock: :omg: :omg: AND I HAVE HAD IT ALL THESE YEARS OMG OMG) in a raffle I made my mum get into.

*Lana is also responsible for my Chevrolet obsession :oopna:

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif