Sign in to follow this  
spookytanooki

To anyone who thinks Gods and Monsters was a bad song choice in Freakshow

Definitely a little messy, but here is my interpretation of the lyrics in relation to the show

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In the land of Gods and Monsters

[The land of gods and monsters is literally just the world]

I was an Angel
Living in the garden of evil

[The garden of evil represents the freakshow, and Elsa thinks that she is a star, and a normal person, living among monsters. Hence, she's an angel]

Screwed up, scared, doing anything that I needed
Shining like a fiery beacon

[Again, Elsa thinks she's a star. She's thinks she shines brighter than anyone else, and she is willing to do whatever it takes to become a star in everyone else's eyes]

You got that medicine I need
Fame, Liquor, Love give it to me slowly

[This is about the stranger that Esmerelda speaks about. She tells Elsa that he is going to make her a star]

Put your hands on my waist, do it softly
Me and God, we don't get along so now I sing

[Her life is a mess. She isn't getting what she wants, and she believes that God has abandoned her. She, herself is a "freak" because she is missing the bottom half of her legs, as seen in the first episode. "so now I sing," could just be a transition into the chorus, but it also makes sense that she sings to prove her worth to the world, and that she isn't a freak, and that she is better than everyone else in the show]

No one's gonna take my soul away

[This line, to me, kind of seems to steer away from the rest of the song, and instead, references Edward Mordrake. He is said to come and steal the souls of carnies if anyone performs on Halloween, which Elsa decides to do by singing this song]

I'm living like Jim Morrison

[Everybody just shut up about this line. It's one thing to change one word, but changing an entire name in the song is a bit more difficult. Additionally, it is an anachronism. Every performance in this show is an anachronism. And anachronisms have already shown up, and will continue showing up thru the entire show. For example, Pepper is a member of the freakshow 12 years before Asylum happens, which makes no sense because Pepper was living at home, and was put in the asylum for allegedly killing her sister's baby, and there is no way that could happen if she was in the freak show. Anachronism. Get used to it.]

Headed towards a messed up holiday

Motel sprees sprees and I'm singing
'Oh yeah give it to me this is heaven, what I truly
Want'

[she wants to escape. She wants to abandon the freak show and become her own act]

It's innocence lost
Innocence lost

[This obviously doesn't fit in so well with the theme, but the lost innocence could be her leaving the freak show, and destroying the lives of all the other freaks]

In the land of Gods and Monsters
I was an Angel
Looking to get hit hard

[she knows that the freak show is a lost cause. When she is looking to get hit hard, she is talking about the pain when she realizes that she is essentially talentless next to Dot and Bette's act]

Like a groupie incognito posing as a real singer
Life imitates art

[Pretty self-explanatory. She acts like she is famous and glamorous, but she has no actual fans or recognition]

You got that medicine I need
Dope, shoot it up, straight to the heart please

[still talking about the stranger and fame]

I don't really wanna know what's good for me

[What's good for her is to give up her dream, but that's not what she wants to hear. She is determined to be famous]

God's dead, I said 'baby that's alright with me'

[God's dead. Her fate is in her own hands] 

When you talk it's like a movie and you're making me
Crazy -

Cause life imitates art

[i think this references herself. She wants the world to feel this way about her]

If I get a little prettier can I be your baby?
You tell me, "life isn't that hard"

[Half about the stranger, half about the world. She's asking that if she were different, could she be famous]

Still it sounds average because her coice doesn't fit the song and the accent is so overexaggerated. Plus they should have picked a song with less explicity. Or at least also changed the anachronism line aswell, when they already crippled some lines ( I mean, of course the character of Lange wouldn't use explict words, but "oh yeah give it to me" sounds so flat)

I think they mostly picked the song because  it's a dark one and the most "freak-ish", without considering the problems resulting from some of the lyrics.

Just do it. Just do it - don't wait!

I read it all. Overall it was a poor analysis. No offense.

Eh whatever, no offense taken. I tried lol.

Welcome

1396200246754.gif

Now learn how the fuck use this forum, you're welcome

I'll figure it out eventually lol

ppl should stop trying to cover lana songs tbh i'm really yet to see a cover that does the original justice

Idk whoever did Scarface in the LB karaoke kinda slayed

:uh: ata pls

:troll:

:noir: :noir: :noir:

Idk whoever did Scarface in the LB karaoke kinda slayed

i thought we just agreed to tell them that :awk:

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg