naachoboy

Kali Uchis

It's been a while. As such, I'm interested in bringing some great music to your attention.

The artist being Kali Uchis -- she has her own thread on this site, but her first album "Drunk Babble" is super duper underrated. Since its not being appreciated as much as I think it should, I will be adding in my own commentary for each song, a download link to the album and some extra information relating to her new album.

'DRUNKEN BABBLE' DOWNLOAD LINK:  (Link Removed)

If you're like me, you want to know that a link isn't a virus. As such, I've included a screen grab of a virus scanning site.

post-11791-0-79880400-1480773716_thumb.png

Since the download comes from an "RAR" file, you will need to install a program such as "UnRarX" for Mac or 7-Zip for Windows

UnRarX - Mac:   (Link Removed)         7-Zip - Windows:    (Link Removed)

A TRACK-BY-TRACK REVIEW OF 'DRUNKEN BABBLE':

Good to You - This track introduces the album with a boom. This reggae-infused bop reminds me of the days of "Fresh Prince of Bel-Air" and the "Goosebumps" introduction track. After a few listens, I became accustomed with the rough, scaly-sketchy sandpaper feel of the song.

ChimiChanga - Although this track is rather short, it produces quite a great atmosphere. Kali cries "shoulda, coulda, woulda" during the song which brings attention to Kali's addictive hooks and stellar attention to detail. Even though the album's instrumental is rather hard to hear, it gives the song a deeper meaning to the artist who produced and wrote this great album on GarageBand.

Mucho Gusto - One of my favourites off this album. It's stunning picture it paints in the head of listeners points to Kali's addictive personality and the way she hits the hooks, something I can get accustomed too.

Dream - Oddly, this song being the fourth song off the album derails the top three. It's catchy hook makes you rather glamorize your thoughts and hinder the possibility of such simple lyrics that flow like a symphony.

T.Y.W.I.G - This track moves me to the fact that Kali Uchis is the Queen of making albums on GarageBand. For a girl who did not know how to use the program, she made well use of her skills on this one. ". . W.I.G.", she already knows -- ours will be off after this one.

Table For Two - Kali hits those beats on this friendly song that reminds me of eating dinner at a Colombian restaurant. A great song for that couple you know. "I'll set that table for two" is quite romantic and ensures the listener she is getting ready to kick off her boots.

You Just Wanna Stay - On this track, Kali shows us the realness of being a shy, brilliant girl who would rather hide in her shell. This sense of sensibility reminds me of Amy Winehouse who screams "what's inside her never dies" on "He Can Only Hold Her." These lines are from a time when Amy Winehouse was going through things that are rather unimaginable.

Never Be Yours - Stand out track. Kali pushes us to understand her vocal versatility. Instead of pushing us away like she did on "You Just Wanna Stay" she welcomes us with wide-open hands on this stellar album cut.

What They Say - On this track, you simply "get her." Her deep lyrics and interesting sense of musical placement makes you want to repeat the song over and over. On top of this, the track screams "watch out for me."

Lean On You - Sultry at points but the profanity brings out the best of the lyrics. Makes you think, "what would Kali do if she had this album produced professionally."

He Unkin - Honestly, this track is only 27 seconds. Although it just includes Kali and her friends talking, its quite an interesting concept to have. Switches the mood from sultry to more sunny, campy.

Three Pills - This track proves Kali Uchis' ability to include samples from other songs while making them sound like they are hers. Her ability to have these skills will prove her to be successful and perfect for todays music which frequently includes samples of order songs.

Sunset - Kali gracefully switches the topic of discussion on this track. She moves from a "wild-west" sound into a "lovey" song that should have been included in the movie "Holes".

Pay Day - One of the best songs off this album. Kali proves she is indecisive and in for the money on this clever track. Uchis paints a picture in my head of the times you'd get a cheque from your first job. The sense of ease off her voice proves rather interesting considering the song is about getting paid after working for hours.

Tiger Lily - This "rough-start relationship" song proves Kali has problems with getting the man of her dreams. Rather, she removes herself from the situation by smoking it up. Considering this album is quite personal, I would not be surprised if many of the experiences shared on this track actually have come to fruition. Quite interestingly, the introduction to this track reminds me of the "Macarena".

Rollin Up - Kali glamorizes rolling up for your first "puff" on this interesting track. She also makes her case for smoking for recreational purposes on this track.

Inhale - As the last track off the album, Kali makes it known she wants to be iconic because thats exactly what comes to mind during a listen. She makes one of most boring songs lyrically interesting with quite the funny quotes and instrumentals that take away from her voice and rather put focus on the beat. Honestly, this one makes me get up and do a twinkle.

Overall, Kali Uchis proves herself to us on "Drunken Babble". For a first album with no help commercially, its quite good. Artists today would need a big budget to create something that sounds like it was meant to be hers and only hers. Uchis, if you're reading this, keep making albums that are sensitive and make the music we're listening to, more interesting and calming. The atmosphere Kali creates throughout this album makes you ponder the question, when is her new album coming out?

RELEASE DATE:

As many of you know, I own an Internet radio station called Hits 93 Toronto. At the station, I've been given the opportunity to freely discuss my opinions, play the music I want to hear (with some input) and promote artists I believe deserve that sort of exposure.

As such, my Twitter account which is thankfully verified, gives the opportunity for others who are verified to have their own tab to discuss with other verified users. Kali being someone who is verified, created an opportunity for me to ask her myself about the album.

In a Tweet sent out on Oct. 22 from my Twitter account, I stated, "we can't wait to play your album on-air". She quickly responded (in a now deleted Tweet) that it was coming out soon. Reports are, Kali Uchis will release her new album next year. Although we don't have any confirmed album released date or album cover, we will be anxiously awaiting the release of her album.

post-11791-0-85439100-1480779694_thumb.png

- This has been a Viktor Elias exclusive.

Edited by Elle
Removed download links (not allowed) & merged with the Kali Uchis forum

Viktor Elias | Hits 93 Toronto

@Hits93Toronto

Kali posted snippets of multiple songs on her Instagram and Snapchat story! She also pointed out her favorite one. There is also the song name and more snippets for the snippet she posted back in March! (Posting the snippets soon)

LYRICS;

YOU KNOW BETTER: (http://picosong.com/TAxZ/)

...ocean. I don't know who you are. Just come...

...I'm sick and tired of talking, i've told you everything you need to know. cuz you...

...I wanna know if you want to, I wanna go if you want to go...

UNKNOWN SONG:

...[inaudible rapping] Don't you want it, get to...

65bd2c2193c8751f270e1a169eb4fc2e.gif

New photoshoot for Akna clothing! Click here to buy!

tumblr_oit0fbcWHe1vsorn8o1_400.jpgtumblr_oit0fbcWHe1vsorn8o2_400.jpg

Also there will be a song titled "Teeth in my Neck" on the album! Listen to a snippet here...  

Another interesing bit of info.. If you input her youtube onto the Wayback Machine you can find some videos she deleted (you can't watch). Here are titles and dates.

jajaja [caption: jajaja] - 2012 (710 views)

LezzyBoos [caption: Directed by Karly Loaiza] - 2012 (3,314 views)

mi casa [caption: directed by karly loaiza] - 2011 (1,923 views)
420 Special from Kali Uchis [caption: @KALIUCHIS soundcloud.com/kaliuchis] - 2013 (1,692 views)

All of these snippets are making me so thirsty! Has she mentioned when the album might get released?

She hasn't said a specific date but she did say on Instagram (in a now changed caption) "Can't wait for 2016 to be over so I can drop this album" meaning it's probably coming January 2017!