naachoboy

Kali Uchis

can someone pm me her full discography (obvs i can get the released stuff on my own tho so not that) please? i thought i already had it on my computer but i must have deleted it

UbsOye5.png

So, I finally got to see Kali live! On Monday, I saw her at the Cat's Cradle-- a small bar/venue in Carrboro, NC. It was a fantastic show, and I thought I'd give a little review, since no one else has said much about her shows lately. (This will probably sound a little incoherent and jumbled, so I hope it all makes sense  :creep: )

For one, the attendance for the gig was much higher than I expected-- it was sold out, and I felt pretty glad I'd already bought tickets back when they were announced. I really didn't anticipate there being so many strong Kali stans in the area, but boy, was I wrong! Due to the seating (well, lack thereof) being a first-come first-serve type setup, my friend and I weren't *right* in front of the stage, but fairly close. 

Phony Ppl went on to open for Kali-- I had no idea what to expect, as I hadn't looked into them prior to the show. Let me say, they were worth the price of admission alone! They're incredible performers-- they're musically gifted, but they also have amazing stage presence and were a lot of fun when interacting with the audience. Even with practically no stage setup-- just lighting-- their set was dreamy, funky, and really sucked me right into their music. They're not huge yet, but they deserve to be-- their lyrics are smart, deeply emotionally affecting, and catchy; and their sound is extremely interesting-- for one, they sound better live than on their studio recordings, imo-- and their style, while based in R&B/rap, has inflections and distillations of all sorts of genre-- some of their guitar/drum work sounded vaguely power-rock/metal influenced, while some of the keyboards brought 70s/80s prog rock to mind. It makes for a really unique listening experience, especially since they serve as Kali's backing band, too. I really can't recommend them highly enough!

Kali took what felt like *forever* to come on, but it was entirely worth it. The stage was pretty sparse-- she had a couple ferns, her flowered microphone stand, and a small set of stairs positioned at center stage. Her entrance was amazing: as the opening hums from Sycamore Tree played over the speakers, she appeared at the top of the stairs, and descended as she began the song. She looked like a goddess, no lie-- she'd just cut her hair into a really cute curly bob before the show, and was wearing this lacy white minidress and white go-go boots-- a LOOK :cumming: super cool how Kali Uchis turned me straight

Anyway, she was adorable (especially when speaking to the crowd-- I could only hear a fraction of what she was saying, because the crowd kept SCREAMING-- including when she started throwing her sweat rags to the crowd at different points, and it legit looked like the gays were gonna riot :toofunny: one sis actually got punched in the nose for one of them), and seemed to be having a lot of fun, (especially with her dancing!) which was great, especially since I've seen concert videos where she seems much less enthused. Her energy carried over into her voice as well-- totally top-notch, and sis was turning the songs OUT. My only disappointment was that she didn't play any yet-to-be-released songs from the new album, despite saying she would at the beginning of the show-- I can forgive her, though  :hooker:

I can't remember what order the setlist was in, but I do remember all the songs she played:

- from Drunken Babble: What They Say (i'm just a little pressed that she didn't open w/Chimichanga like she has at some other shows, because that's one of my absolute favorites)

- from Por Vida: Sycamore Tree, Know What I Want, Rush, Ridin Round, Speed, Loner

- from Fool's Paradise: Tyrant, Nuestro Planeta

- Collabs: See You Again

- Covers: Let's Stay Together (Al Green), Sabor a Mi, Suavemente (played as her encore)

Definitely my favorite of the night was Ridin Round, which was the main set closer, I think-- the backing band brought that vague heavy metal-esque instrumentation to it, and hammered the HELL out of it. It totally morphed from the album/reworked version as a flighty hip-hop track, to a thumping, aggressive queen-bitch-anthem. Y'all better believe we ALL screamed the "WHAT THE FUCK YOU WAITING FOR?!" part and it was liberating  :defeated:

Anyway, I could go on forever, but it was a FANTASTIC show. I can't wait to see Kali again in January with Lana, and I can't wait to hear more from Phony Ppl!

o4qjp4j.png

can someone pm me her full discography (obvs i can get the released stuff on my own tho so not that) please? i thought i already had it on my computer but i must have deleted it

me too pls! i have most of it but missing some things. gracias

341e352c9925b3ef7bc5edfb50e3597e.jpg