Trash Magic

Father John Misty

I like the songs previewed from his new album a lot too, but he seems into a "cosmic pessimism" rant, which broadly views the transience of humankind (and of course individual lives) as less significant (at least to the cosmos) than opined by religion. He's pissed off at the political climate sure, and rankled by the fact people kill each other over superficial differences, but the bottom line is his own transience to which all the crap in the world gives an unstable security. So at the end of the day all we have is each other and your luck is maxed out if you are experiencing your transience in love. I'm getting this not only from lyrics (admirably captioned in his videos) but also from *the film* Pure Comedy; I mean the part between 17 and 20 mins at the end of the film seems to me to say what I just said. So a title like Pure Comedy comes off as Pure Sarcasm (which is why people hate on him a bit, as these are uncomfortable thoughts).

Pessimism is not all that uncommon for artists like FJM. Regina Spektor's most recent album Remember Us to Life has pessimistic themes, despite the fact she is a recent mother (and happy about that). She's someone I'd recommend as being lyrically and musically as good as FJM (although I know less of his work less than hers). LDR has been criticized for being morose, of course, but her take on pessimism is actually more imbued with collages of beautiful moments (though with a breakout album blatantly called BTD, you still get that idea). 

im highkey not interested in listening to the songs singularly i'm just waiting for the album

me with almost every album ever  :toofunny:  Plus, it messes up my last.fm scrobbles because I like the plays to be under the album and not as singles  :deadbanana:

have you guys looked at the track lengths :deadbanana:

Leaving LA is just over 13 minutes & SIGOOMM is 10 minutes

leaving la is good though.

I feel like only folky kind of people can pull off track lengths like that. Like I love Let's Not Shit Ourselves by Conor Oberst, and that's like 10 minutes long. It only works if it's an artist with strong lyrical content and an audience prepared to listen and treat it as art rather than something to play in the background

leaving la is good though.

I feel like only folky kind of people can pull off track lengths like that. Like I love Let's Not Shit Ourselves by Conor Oberst, and that's like 10 minutes long. It only works if it's an artist with strong lyrical content and an audience prepared to listen and treat it as art rather than something to play in the background

wait its out?

lmao i had no idea

edit: oh wow i'm really late