Deleted User

Kim Gordon of Sonic Youth criticizes Lana in memoir

Well I had to google her and I bet if I asked you who Raul Seixas is you wouldn't know. He also influenced a entire generation in South America acclaimed and influential enough for Bruce Springsteen learn the lyrics of his songs in perfect portuguese, a language he doesn't even speak by the way, at the opening of his last concert in Rio. I can say the name Legião Urbana that wont mean nothing to you while in many places is the sound of a revolution represents, rock at it's finest with lyrics very few artists around the world were able to dream of producing produce. People got shock when Lana did a ballad of 5 minutes play in the radio while Legião has a song from the 90' that lasts 10 minutes with no chorus that until today is one of the most covered and played songs around. Yet none of them mean nothing to you, which is normal by the way because the world is big with so many different cultures and languages, there for different icons and historical moments, my nothing can be your everything.

Obviously US is a huge influence in music and has many iconic bands and singers but this arrogance and presumption America and American culture is the worlds culture and your influence is the rest of the worlds influence is ridiculous. I can list tons of artists that have sold 50 millions to 150 millions of albums and you never heard about them. 

This is not a rant or me being rude is just that you frequently do that with obscure artists that people have to google about. Obscure to people who didn't grow up in US and had other artits being their visual and sonical references

You've not only missed my point, but you're kind of making it for me. It had nothing to do with any sort of presumption of American cultural superiority. (I confess it perhaps had a little to do with a presumption of generational superiority. :P) It had everything to do with criticizing the arrogance of people presuming that someone must be a "nobody" just because they aren't familiar with them, for whatever reason, whether that ignorance is due to age or culture. It's fine if you have to Google someone-- I do it all the time-- but perhaps people should do that before calling someone a "nobody". I certainly would before asserting that a Latin American artist I'd never heard of is a "nobody". Otherwise you end up looking a little like the Kanye fan that doesn't know who Paul McCartney is or the Superbowl watcher (oops... there I go asserting American cultural dominance for real!) declaring this new rapper Missy Elliott is gonna be huge.

At any rate, the person I was responding to is American. More to the point, Lana is American, and even considering the apparent shallowness of her appreciation for her "masters of every genre", she will be familiar with Kim Gordon and/or Sonic Youth from even a cursory reading on Kurt Cobain. Which is why I think this will be somewhat wounding for Lana.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I understand that Kim Gordon had her day in the sun (but yeah I really didn't know her until this thread was created) but that doesn't change the fact that she's a has-been trying to boost book sales by name dropping Lana.

Also that "gang rape" comment just gets my blood boiling. I've only known of her for an hour and I already hate her. What a sly bitch.

Don't wanna get into the feminism discussion but she may have a valid point. Still, all that gang rape bullshit was completely unnecessary... If you wanna criticize someone for their opinions/statements do it with valid points and not this kind of inflammatory crap

ZmJh1LG.jpg

I actually find it a little funny that she says that Lana is a woman "who doesn’t even know what feminism is, who believes women can do whatever they want" and then derides her for that. Like, yes, that actually is kind of a part of feminism. Yes, equal pay and rights are part of it, but so is a woman being able to make her own decisions. It seems like Kim doesn't know what feminism is.

I actually find it a little funny that she says that Lana is a woman "who doesn’t even know what feminism is, who believes women can do whatever they want" and then derides her for that. Like, yes, that actually is kind of a part of feminism. Yes, equal pay and rights are part of it, but so is a woman being able to make her own decisions. It seems like Kim doesn't know what feminism is.

more amusingly, expecting women who are in the public eye to be outwardly feminist is y'know.... unfeminist.

4d05b88473027157c69dadf2c058161f.jpg

You've not only missed my point, but you're kind of making it for me. It had nothing to do with any sort of presumption of American cultural superiority. (I confess it perhaps had a little to do with a presumption of generational superiority. :P) It had everything to do with criticizing the arrogance of people presuming that someone must be a "nobody" just because they aren't familiar with them, for whatever reason, whether that ignorance is due to age or culture. It's fine if you have to Google someone-- I do it all the time-- but perhaps people should do that before calling someone a "nobody". I certainly would before asserting that a Latin American artist I'd never heard of is a "nobody". Otherwise you end up looking a little like the Kanye fan that doesn't know who Paul McCartney is or the Superbowl watcher (oops... there I go asserting American cultural dominance for real!) declaring this new rapper Missy Elliott is gonna be huge.

At any rate, the person I was responding to is American. More to the point, Lana is American, and even considering the apparent shallowness of her appreciation for her "masters of every genre", she will be familiar with Kim Gordon and/or Sonic Youth from even a cursory reading on Kurt Cobain. Which is why I think this will be somewhat wounding for Lana.

:lmao:

glgcDdT.gif

How can Lana still attract so many negative opinions?

She goes out of her way not to do anything nowadays  :rip:

I guess even her very presence is annoying to some people

i actually hurt reading this recent stuff about lana, it seems like theres been so much negative media about her lately.. from her dress, to kathy griffin, big eyes snubs, this, etc etc theres just a lot going on lately and i feel like if i was in lana's position i would be falling apart honestly i care about her being happy so much :( fuck them hoes lana

Kim also went on to talk about her encounters with Courtney Love. Suggesting she has a borderline personality disorder and saying " No one ever questions the disorder behind her tarantula LA glamour – sociopathy, narcissism – because it’s good rock and roll, good entertainment! I have a low tolerance for manipulative, egomaniacal behavior, and usually have to remind myself that the person might be mentally ill.”

http://loudwire.com/sonic-youth-kim-gordon-courtney-love-mentally-ill-billy-corgan-cry-baby/

In my eyes Kim is just a vicious,bitter women who knows that attacking/name dropping other artist such as Lana will help her sell more books in the long run.

Yes she may be a Legend in the music industry but it doesn't give her the right to attack other artist in such a -to be frank- a childish manner.Hell I wouldn't mind if it was said constructive manner but instead she did it in such a demeaning,vindictive spiteful way that the very few remaining good points are forgotten...

I just feel so sorry for Lana she's had quite the proverbial beating from the press and industry these last couple of months... :(

tumblr_oizsprgz5s1ux9njjo1_400.gif?w=371                                                                

Lana's whole life nowadays amounts to she's either damned if she does, damned if she doesn't.

It's pretty sad, to say the least. I get people are not into the nihilistic self-destruction elements of Lana's work, to each their own. But at the same time, I kinda detest to the whole "EVERYTHING SHE WRITES ABOUT IS ABOUT THIS" spiel because, well, just as much of her unreleased music says that's not the case. I just personally find it ironic that Lana's every critic's go-to for "We don't mind if anyone else does it, except her" schools of thought. Whether or not it's intentional, I don't know. I just feel like people tend to spot sensitive people who are in the limelight and take advantage of it.

I could name probably more than a handful of artists and an even larger number of songs not from Lana that have romanticized self-destruction just as much, and the criticism barely exists. And if it does, it's like "Wow, they push the envelope but it's fantastic!" I think that fuels my sympathy for Lana a lot more than just because I love her. She doesn't catch a break for doing what many musicians have done/written about. Yes, I'll admit that Lana's interviews, particularly during the UV-era, were really controversial, but it's how she felt. The lot of these criticisms really just seem to revolve around invalidating her feelings and experiences as much as possible.

I heard somewhere that sometimes we need to stop explaining ourselves so much because the people who love and care about us, don't need an explanation; and the people that don't love or care about us, don't want to hear one anyway. It kinda applies here; none of these people care enough about Lana to want an explanation anyway.

I really have no other comment on this. I'm not even Lana and I'm offended by how debasing and brutal this statement is at its core. And that last bit was just absolutely appalling.

I'm not even going to get into that mess of a contradiction in regards to the feminism statement. I'm just not even going to get into this at all. This was just sad; I try to avoid reading scathing bullshit like this because it makes me feel bad for the person it happens to, and I regret reading it in the first place. I'm really feeling for Lana more than I did when she got all that backlash around the BTD era. I just hope that Lana can brush this off if/when she finds out about it, because this is anything but a humane exhibition of compassion and concern. It's intentional vehemence.

slating other women for doing things "wrong" is not feminism. she's just contributing to girl-on-girl hate, which is inherently anti-feminist in itself. nobody is perfect and it should be about educating people on how to change problematic ways, not telling them to kill themselves (which, to me, sounds very tumblr-esque).

furthermore, Lana has never claimed that her actions are feminist, or that she even identifies as one, so I don't understand this spiel about lana depicting "self-destruction" as feminist. & let's be real here, Kim seems to only be talking about the Ride video when she mentions "dating older men" and "getting gang-raped by bikers".

OAjeWdG.jpg?1

LDR's quite clearly an outsider and non-conformist. She therefore draws a lot of fire simply because *successful* people like that inevitably do. Regardless of Kim Gordon's position in music history, she should have stayed focused on her life (it's her memoir!) and not be so dismissive and reductive of LDR.  Why focus on Lana Del Rey (or Courtney Love) at all in teaser extracts? It's weird AF and makes me wonder what the larger context of the quote is going to be. Is it going to be some kind of random I-don't-like-this comment or is she going to talk about Taylor and Beyonce too, and provide some kind of critical analysis of popular music?