Sign in to follow this  
urbannoize

Emile Hayne on Lana Del Rey Being A Favorite Artist To Work With, As Well BTD Being A Favorite Album

Just wanted to share this info from yet another great Emile interview that he tweeted about yesterday. Taken from an interview with Tidal. com http://read.tidalhifi.com/article/album-of-the-week-emile-haynie/

Who has been one of your favorite artists to work with?

Lana is one of my favorites. She’s such a special friend to me and we just get each other.

Andrew Wyatt from Miike Snow was a massive contributor to my album and is one of my favorite people to work with as well. We’re friends first. He knew what every lyric meant the second I showed them to him because we talk about this kind of stuff naturally. On top of that he is incredibly talented. His background vocals are on so many of the tunes and exactly the kind of sound I’ve had in my head for years.

What of your past work are you most proud of?

I love Lana’s first album. I love some of the stuff I did with Kid Cudi on his first couple projects. I love working with Eminem. Him and his crew in Detroit were such a huge part of the beginning of my career, I’m super proud to be a part of his albums these days.

Honestly, I loved Born to Die and I still thinks it's her best album yet (even though it comes really close to Ultraviolence & Paradise) and I've loved all her work with Emile Hayne, and yes, this includes Wait for Life. I like how he uses her clear vocals and doesn't alter her voice with unnecessary filters. While I can understand why people regard some of his works with Lana as overproduced, I think this style of production ultimately creates a brilliant soundscape that fits perfectly with the lyrics/vibe. I really wouldn't mind Lana working with him again for future works, although, I do agree that mixing up her producers is a good idea, as maybe working solely with Emile would just become Born to Die 2.0. I hope Honeymoon has a range of producers, like Paradise, which still worked really well and didn't affect the cohesiveness of the record, in my opinion.

Honestly, I loved Born to Die and I still thinks it's her best album yet (even though it comes really close to Ultraviolence & Paradise) and I've loved all her work with Emile Hayne, and yes, this includes Wait for Life. I like how he uses her clear vocals and doesn't alter her voice with unnecessary filters. While I can understand why people regard some of his works with Lana as overproduced, I think this style of production ultimately creates a brilliant soundscape that fits perfectly with the lyrics/vibe. I really wouldn't mind Lana working with him again for future works, although, I do agree that mixing up her producers is a good idea, as maybe working solely with Emile would just become Born to Die 2.0. I hope Honeymoon has a range of producers, like Paradise, which still worked really well and didn't affect the cohesiveness of the record, in my opinion.

I completely agree. I hadn't listened to any of her albums straight through in a while, so last week I just listened to AKA straight through to UV and I realized that, although all albums are strong, AKA and Paradise were the most interesting and pleasing to me because of their variety. Obviously Kahne did a good job in not sounding redundant, but the mix of producers and writers on Paradise made it really enjoyable. I'm here for more Haynie, I'd just hope he'd try to avoid sounding identical to BTD, or that, if he works on another album, there'd be more than a few producers.

"Wait for Life" featuring Lana Del Rey

"When I look back at my production on Born to Die, I love it, but I wish I gave Lana more space. This record has more space to hear the quirks and nuances of her voice, and the way it breaks. It's so emotional. We didn't even know what we were doing this song for, but she tapped into the theme [of the album]. She knows me so well. She knew what I was talking about, what I was dealing with in my life. We had been talking for months and months. She really dialed into my personal life. This is the first time I worked with Lana and held back as much as I could. Her voice doesn't need it. I was hearing her voice in a different way."

http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-feed/2015/02/producer-emile-haynie-breaks-down-his-debut-album-we-fall.html

We can't really deny how good his work were on BTD (just realised he basically produced the whole BTD just now) - all the loons, the over-the-top sound effects, etc.

However I can't really see him producing Lana's music in the same old way in the future. Lana showed us that she changed a lot for each of her album, particularly Ultraviolence. If Emile works with Lana for Honeymoon the sound will not be similar to BTD

I love their relationship :flutter:

No matter if they work together again or not, It's nice to know that Lana has such a good friend who gets her, considering she always talked about wanting to find her "group of people" who understand her.