Sign in to follow this  
Viva

India's Daughter: Rape documentary was banned

In times of feminism and human rights this doc and what it represents and the consequent ban should be discussed. The doc is quite bizarre because is brutally honest, just saying before you watch. Basically this link was the only one I could find since was banned and taken from youtube and several other online media sources. I saw on BBC a couple weeks ago (cabo) , was supposed to pass here on open TV but it didn't duo the ban.

The defense lawyers are going to make you sick and want to cut their balls away with a kitchen butter knife 

India's Daughter

BBC Documentary was banned from airing in India and from every Social Media

The story of the brutal gang rape and murder of 23-year-old medical student Jyoti on a moving bus in Delhi in 2012, and the unprecedented protests and riots which this horrific event ignited throughout India, leading to the demand for changes in attitudes towards women. The film examines the values and mindsets of the rapists, and interviews the two lawyers who defended the men convicted of Jyoti's rape and murder.

Was produced by BBC (Storyville)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nU-hhFk2w0

Defense Lawyer interview

* "We have the best culture. In our culture there isn't place for a women

Interview with the victim's friend who was on the bus with her and was brutally beat before been drop from the moving bus

About the case

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OguN9qO7eXI

India’s Daughter touches on all the issues raised by this case, from the Indian justice system’s record on rape to women’s rights to poverty to the death penalty. Unfortunately, there is only so much that can Udwin can cram into the space of an hour and some issues are merely mentioned, such as female foeticide or acid attacks. There is so much to discuss and debate here that only a whole series could really do justice to this topic.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/reviews/indias-daughter-tv-review-the-delhi-bus-rape-documentary-is-about-womens-rights-around-the-world--not-just-in-india-10086668.html

Why some Indians want to 'Ban BBC'

The BBC Storyville film 'India's Daughter' focuses on the brutal gang rape and murder of a student on a bus in Delhi, an incident which reverberated around the world and led to widespread protests about the safety of women in India. A court in Delhi has blocked the broadcast of the film in India, and Indian home minister Rajnath Singh has promised an investigation into whether "norms have been violated" for the filming. Just like on mainstream media, the debate on social media is focused on an interview with one of the four rapists sentenced to death for the crime. In the interview, he expressed no remorse and blamed the victim for fighting back.

On Twitter and Facebook, those opposing the documentary has been tweeting #banBBC - the hashtag has been mentioned more than 13,000 times in the last 24 hours. A few others have been using the hashtags #boycottbbc, #banbbcasap and #banbbcinIndia.

"Does rape happen only in India? It's an attempt to malign India on a global platform. We must stop it," said a tweet which was shared almost 200 times. "The BBC is doing what western media does best - glorifying and making a celebrity out of a psycho rapist," remarked another user, while another tweet said, "Britishers have left India six decades ago, but their political legacy still rule this country?"

Anshul Saxena, who has posted an open letter using the tag #banBBC, says he is hurt by the BBC's decision to air the documentary. "This kind of journalism only spreads a wrong anti-social message towards women. A criminal is a criminal; one cannot learn from him," he told BBC Trending.

Prominent activist Kavita Krishnan wrote on Facebook: "I am concerned at the sheer confidence with which a single film, made by someone with scant familiarity with the daily decisions, dilemmas and struggles of India's activists, can claim to set the agenda for change in India... Already, the film has sent a message that due legal process can be given short shrift and junked, for the noble agenda of exposing a 'rapist's mind' to the world".

While much of the anger has been directed at the BBC's social media accounts, not all the tweets using the #banBBC tag have been against the broadcaster. "Fact: A critical documentary can't hurt India's "image" remotely as much as a knee-jerk government ban on it can," tweeted a columnist, while another post said: "India is suffering from the ostrich syndrome. Head in the sand and pretend no one can see it. That no-one is raping women in India".

The 'banBBC' tag was not the most popular to emerge from this controversy. There was also #NirbhayaInsulted (The victim was called "Nirbhaya," or "the fearless one" by the media) and #DontRapeAgain. The two tags were used more than 51,000 and 24,000 times respectively and have also been widely used by Indian news channels Times Now TV and Zee News.

The reactions to the documentary have not been restricted to Facebook and Twitter. Although the BBC has only broadcast the documentary in the UK, versions of it uploaded by YouTube users have been widely shared in India. YouTube said in a statement that it had complied with a request to take down a page hosting the documentary, but users quickly posted other links to versions of the film.

Great blog from a Indian women perspective

I Am Not India's Daughter

glgcDdT.gif

Great blog from a Indian women perspective

I Am Not India's Daughter

This resonated with me:

I’m not saying that all these things about Jyoti—that she was a good student and devoted daughter—are untrue. I’m saying that they don’t have to be true for the crime committed against her to be just as heinous. The film shows this “good girl” and “bad girl” rhetoric—“India’s daughter” is either, depending on who’s talking about her—but not much else. In the movie, she’s a 2-dimensional figure. But Jyoti, the person, was probably much, much more when she was alive.

That’s why am not “India’s daughter.” Yes, I’m the daughter of parents who told that silly old relative in the hospital that it was precisely because I was a girl that they’d be leaving a bigger tip for the hospital attendants. Yes, I’m my brother’s sister. Yes, I’m an Indian woman. I’m also a journalist. A friend. A sexual being. I’m not defined completely by any one of the million pieces of my identity. Like everyone else, I’m extremely flawed, and still expect to be treated equally, fairly, and humanely. Even if I was born a girl.

The name "India's daughter" is intended to bestow honor, but an honor-shame culture depends also upon shame. The "good girl" / "bad girl" rhetoric tends to obscure the acknowledgement of women's full humanity. That said, I see this as a powerful and courageous film as a whole, one that declares everyone's full humanity and responsibility.

The student protests have made the difference. I believe very strongly that "our" young people are not only the hope of "our" future, but the agents of their own.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I've never been to Delhi, but I lived in India when the rape and the aftermath of it happened. This film sends a very strong message but doesn't shed a lot of light on the extreme cultural divide. The place where these guys grew up and live(d) in is slums, but these slums are stuck at the edge of the city and that is so problematic because they can't handle the rapid urbanization of the culture in the cities to the point where women who even work are "so out of place in society". Those dumbfuck lawyers aren't from slums, but from towns and hold on to old-fashioned ideas. I obviously think everything that happened was grotesque and I would never dream of justifying their actions. I just think it's important for people to know that they believe in "making women understand" which is ridiculous but a very hard notion to get out of the minds of people like this. It's also important that most of the people in India don't think of raping women. Lots of people talk how the rape rate in India is so high but they seem to forget that over a billion people live here so everything is proportionately increased. Again, not condoning anyone who ever rapes, but just trying to inform people a little bit. It sucks that those guys don't feel an ounce of remorse for what they did, but they're getting what they deserve. I really hope Jyoti's family gets support both financially and emotionally.

l2Sq4K7gijMLVChUI.gif