KillForLove

Chromatics

Screens1042.png

Chromatics

Chromatics is an American electronic music band from Portland, Oregon that formed in 2001. The band originally featured a trademark sound indebted to punk and lo-fi that was described as "noisy" and "chaotic". After numerous lineup changes, the band began releasing material on Johnny Jewel's "Italians Do It Better" record label in 2007, with their style streamlined into a synthpunk-Italo disco indebted sound. Several of the band's songs have been featured in television series, their track Tick of the Clock was featured in the film Drive (2011), and most notably their song Cherry was sampled in the Schoolboy Q hit, Man of the YearChromatics were also invited by Karl Lagerfeld to play the Chanel Spring Summer 2013 fashion show in Paris in early October 2012.

Facebook / Soundcloud / Website

Band Members:

Ruth Radelet (Vocals, Guitar, Synthesizer)

Johnny Jewel (Producer, Multi-Instrumentalist)

Adam Miler (Guitar, Vocoder)

Nat Walker (Drums Synthesizer)

Notable Songs/Videos:

Notable Performances:

They've been one of my favorite bands for years! :)

I never thought to make a thread for them just because I didn't think many people would really take a liking to them here. But it's really cool to see another fan. :)

I think the first Chromatics song I heard was their Running Up That Hill cover. It's still one of my favorite songs. I also really really love Mask. I'm SO excited for Dear Tommy. Kill for Love was amazing, idk everything they've done has been really wonderful. Even some of the stuff before Ruth + Johnny. 

Johnny Jewel is a genius tbh. I found Chromatics after Glass Candy. Do you like them too? 

@@KillForLove

@@National Anthem @@SitarHero @@comeintomybedroom @@Rebel @ @ idk who else.

I feel like you guys could get into them! They've really been one of my favorite bands for years. They make GREAT music. It's really really good. Nothing like Charli or Sky or Marina though, but I mean if y'all have taste I'm sure you'll dig it. :hooker:

If you're willing to get into them, definitely listen to these songs first....

Running Up That Hill (Kate Bush Cover)
I'm On Fire (Bruce Springsteen Cover)

Kill for Love

Mask

Dark Day

Back from the Grave

Lol now that KillForLove has made the thread I'm like taking full control of publicity. #mess

14417469274.gif

I just listened to Cherry before you mentioned me @HundredDollarBill, I really liked it! I've actually heard of them before, but I never looked into them. Which album should I get first?

Cherry, Kill for Love, I Can Never Be Myself When You're Around, Lady, Running Up That Hill (Cover), and I'm On Fire (Cover) are probably the most easily digestible of the songs. I think one of the biggest turn offs for people is Ruth's voice, but it grows on you

Johnny Jewel is a genius tbh. I found Chromatics after Glass Candy. Do you like them too? 

@@KillForLove

I was actually the opposite (found Glass Candy after Chromatics), and while I enjoy some Glass Candy tunes, I not nearly as devoted of a fan as I am of Chromatics, although I seem to enjoy everything put out on the IDIB label! Also as a vinyl collector its so nice because they press everything they releases and they do it on really cool colored stuff and I have a ton of signed stuff from all the bands

I just listened to Cherry before you mentioned me @HundredDollarBill, I really liked it! I've actually heard of them before, but I never looked into them. Which album should I get first?

Probably Kill for Love. I think Night Drive is the better album, but KFL has more accessible songs on it for a first time listener. They do a lot of really cool instrumental songs that are amazing for a mood or driving at night.

One of my favorite songs is Accelerator but it's 7:29 of just music so I didn't list in stuff you should get into first.

@@KillForLove what are some of your favorites? :flutter:

I loved the drumless version of KFL they put out. God, I could talk about them forever. If I had to narrow my favorites down...

Kill for Love

Mask

Blue Moon

Running Up That Hill

I'm On Fire

Dark Day

I could keep going omg their discography is magnificent.

14417469274.gif

@@Hundred Dollar Bill did you get anything from the store recently? I got some sweatshirts and one of the few IDIB records I didn't have & apparently Johnny ruined a bunch of records trying to float them in a pool so he signed them and thew them in with the normal freebie toss-in posters and CDs.

Managed to get mine in a frame and he also threw in a signed Night Drive insert which was cool

tumblr_nn6nu9uLgr1u5ee3so1_540.jpg

New single from Dear Tommy, "Shadow" coming tomorrow as a free download from Adult Swims free singles program

I believe Johnny said awhile back that Shadow was the oldest song on the record and that it has been 16 years in the making

Apparently Johnny almost died in Hawaii in 2015 and destroyed all existing copies of Dear Tommy and the band completely re-recorded it (same tracklist) and that plus the scoring work he has been doing has held things up

They performed Shadow on tonights premier of the Twin Peaks revival and released a Twin Peaks inspired video for the song immediately after

(Semi-related, I saw someone say they'd hope for David Lynch/Lana collaboration and it made me wonder how amazing a Johnny Jewel/Lana collaboration could be)

Can we PLEASE get on with Dear Tommy so that Johnny can move on to BODY WORK??? Glass Candy deserves better!!! How many more albums will Chromatics get to release before Glass Candy gets to release even ONE???

14417469274.gif