Viva

Baltimore Riots

Quite funny how I ended my comment to you by saying that I think you should talk about the topic's subject itself instead of trying to nitpick on how I'm formulating me. Then you went all in to do the exact opposite.

Apparently I missed the forum rule that you have to write an essay on a topic before responding to anything anyone else has said about it. Good to know. I did give you my opinion, it just didn't take many words to express: "Though I get where the anger is coming from, I don't condone the rioting at all. But neither do I condone the bad actions of the police." Unpacking what I find objectionable in yours takes a few more.

Honestly, I hadn't really intended to weigh in here. I was more interested in listening to views from American POC than filling up space with another white guy's opinion. But I couldn't not respond to some of the things you wrote.

This doesn't feel like a constructive discussion anymore.

We agree on that.

It's like your comments are an attempt to "destroy" me as they are aimed towards me, rather than the discuss subject itself. And that you consciously mistake what I'm trying to tell.

I'm not attempting to "destroy" you. I'm attempting to destroy the arguments you're making and the mindset you're expressing. And I'm absolutely not trying to misconstrue your points. You're either shifting your position or just not expressing yourself well. For example, you gave this "clarification":

What I tried to say is, if someone hates the police --> shoots some police officer, just because of her profession --> gets arrested. Then the arrested person will may experience some police brutality, perhaps get beaten up in an elevator or something similar once there are no cameras around the place. That's just how it is, regardless of it being right or wrong. If you hate the police, then they may hate you back.

We were supposed to infer all that, that specific scenario, from the very vague phrase "sometimes for personal reasons"?

Don't bring rape victims and rape in my statements.

I was merely highlighting the problem with the logic of your statement the way you expressed it by employing it in another context where it would be more obvious to you why it's problematic. Your wording employed exactly the same sort of logic often used to blame rape victims to blame victims of police brutality.

Then you make it sound like I'm supporting a child being shot, but refuse to see it from the viewpoint where the child's response when a police officer aimed at him and yelled "put your hands up in the air", was to walk towards the police officer and reach for a decoy of a weapon around his waist. Did you even check the video you linked?

Did you even check the video I linked? You can't say that's really how it happened because the video has no audio. But even if that's mostly accurate, he had his hands in his pockets to begin with. Why do you assume that his hand movements are him reaching for the weapon and refuse to see it from the viewpoint that his movements may be him beginning to comply with a command to put his hands up? But I forgot, police are infallible and never lie or misperceive a situation. And certainly not with a whole two seconds to assess it.

Maybe I should also mention that my dad has gone through police brutality once and he believes it was due his darker skin & hair colour. Many police officers have said racist things to him. It was quite uncommon with "non-white" people in Sweden back then in the 80's. But I also know for a fact that he has a criminal background and therefore I accept what the police did. My reasoning is that if he weren't a criminal, then I'm sure they wouldn't have done anything to him.

Just-world fallacy

Having racism as an excuse for everything regarding darker people without searching for other reasons are getting quite tiresome.

Completely ignoring the role of racism and not examining the reasons why rioters are angry is getting quite tiresome.

...I mean, it is not like it would work for white people. I'm sure a lot of people would even deny that you can be racist towards a white person.

I assure you, as @@comeintomybedroom would readily attest, I'm not one of those people.

Don't take it personally babe, @Evil is a bitch to everyone equally, unlike US police who discriminates black people. :lmao:

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

I think the consecutive cases of miss conduct of police officers and the behavior of the judicial system in US shows issues way deeper than racism itself. Shows a dangerous fragility in the judicial system, the lake of capacity to address and punish a crime committed by a policemen is far more dangerous than the crime itself because open the doors to what one day was a mistake made by a single men become something mundane, become the reality of what black people face.

The issue here isn't just racism, is the lake of ability to address and control racism. You can't control a racist person but a Government  can control a racist system. The fact the system isn't color blind is far worse than the racist cop because is like the justice system itself gives the cop their blessing to be racist. In another words, the problem isn't the police is the entire justice system.

Every cop is in the line of fire, I respect the police because is not easy to be one. Specially in a country where so many people have legal weapons and you can buy basically any armory you want for a decent price, in another words when a police approaches a suspect the chances of the suspect having some sort of weapon isn't low.

That video @Evil posted of the cop shooting that kid is shocking in so many ways. Is shocking they didn't wait more than 2 seconds to shoot and is also scary to think those cops have in many ways a reason to be afraid because a person can actually buy legally any weapon there for that civilian cold easily be holding an actual gun.

The thing that shocks me the most is how the media presents the case and how society behaves in US. As much as the system is corrupted, society is also guilty of lake of conscience because they address the matter as a problem of "black people" basically discarding those people are first and most of all US citizens. Isn't a problem of the blacks is a issue that belongs to everyone, how on earth a police can be so unprofessional and poorly trained? How the cop can fear so much random civilians they shoot first and ask later?

glgcDdT.gif

You implied that people only suffer police brutality when they resist. I was merely providing just a few representative counterexamples.

Well, excuse me for not having a definition of police brutality for every situation.

Maybe I should include when people are being reported for walking around with weapon-like objects, which the police success to identify when they arrive?

Yes, because it's an attitude that is literally letting people get away with murder.

What quote are you referring to?

I think people should be able to discuss the subject without making racist generalizations.

The OP spoke about "black people", "white folks" and "racism". So I did the same and put some of my thoughts about it. People must dare to discuss, point out and question things without being afraid of being called a racist.

- Why are there mostly young black males who are making a riot out of this? Why doesn't other join them? As in young black females, adults and white people?

- Why is the bond between the American police and Afro Americans so tense? Are people just imagining it? Could both parts have a reason for it?

I don't seek answers, but I think people should notify this and try to reflect over it instead of ignoring it as there's a norm that it is wrong to have thoughts like these.

I'm ethnically-wise a mixed race with x4 different nationalities in "my blood", therefore I have always thought it is easier for me to discuss these things. Though I found it easier to discuss about races and racism with black people (including darker in general) than white people. White people usually rejects to discuss such subject because they are afraid of being called racists. Some reacts like you were doing right now. It's quite sad in my opinion. I think the only cure against racism is to talk about it.

Though I get where the anger is coming from, I don't condone the rioting at all. But neither do I condone the bad actions of the police.

So that's all you have to say about the riot? It doesn't make any sense to me. Looks really empty. You also suddenly succeed to not see from an one-sided perspective this time as you did about the videos.

...Which makes me a bit suspicious if you really are against the riot or not. Because you surely seem to defend them a lot.

I'm not attempting to "destroy" you. I'm attempting to destroy the arguments you're making and the mindset you're expressing. And I'm absolutely not trying to misconstrue your points. You're either shifting your position or just not expressing yourself well. 

Well, you don't make a counterargument against a whole opinion. You pick like 1 out of 4 of my sentences and explanations regarding a subject and make a counterargument against some of it, but not as a whole.

My explanations of how I'm reasoning does obviously not cover up everything, it would take an entire day to make sure that not a single person can misunderstand a message. Also, English is not my native language.

To be honest, I hate typing. I speak for myself in saying that I see no point in arguing with somebody, about these issues, over the internet, where many resources (ie articles, blog posts, a percentage of evil's posts) are available to show you why your opinion is ignorant.

< has registered on a forum where you read & write

< has 3 700 posts.

< did bother to comment twice.

The quote you quoted in your previous comment has been explained by people who have participated in such riots. Not this riot though, but a similar. They didn't use the term "thugs" though, that was just me who choose to have it in there with quote marks. What I meant was that they look up to criminals, have them as an image, sees nothing wrong with being a gangster, they simply think it's cool. I think you get what I mean now even if you may disagree.

Please go a head and link statistics from trustable soruces which proves that they aren't unemployed and outside the community.

I'm completely convinced that they are, but apparently there are many things that proves otherwise, which makes my "opinion ignorant".

Every cop is in the line of fire, I respect the police because is not easy to be one. Specially in a country where so many people have legal weapons and you can buy basically any armory you want for a decent price, in another words when a police approaches a suspect the chances of the suspect having some sort of weapon isn't low.

Exactly!

< has registered on a forum where you read & write

< has 3 700 posts.

< did bother to comment twice.

My 3000 posts are not related to anything of this nature. This forum is dedicated to music, Lana Del Rey to be specific, so that's just really stupid to even point out.

I feel the need to comment multiple times because I'm not gonna let you, or anyone else reading this, assume that I'm just one to keep quiet about these topics.

I haven't even read any of your posts past your first one so why would I take the time to type out something that nobody will read? I will argue back and forth with somebody in person about this but it's rather pointless to do it with somebody over the internet.

White ppl riot over fucking hockey games and sports all the time, but the police don't murder them. This is a race issue. Black people are getting murdered by police on the daily. These are modern-day lynchings.

I don't give a shit about broken car windows. You can get a new car. You can't get back someone's life.

Preach...and I love our similar usernames :eartha:

Maybe I should also mention that my dad has gone through police brutality once and he believes it was due his darker skin & hair colour. Many police officers have said racist things to him. It was quite uncommon with "non-white" people in Sweden back then in the 80's. But I also know for a fact that he has a criminal background and therefore I accept what the police did. My reasoning is that if he weren't a criminal, then I'm sure they wouldn't have done anything to him.

Having racism as an excuse for everything regarding darker people without searching for other reasons are getting quite tiresome.

...I mean, it is not like it would work for white people. I'm sure a lot of people would even deny that you can be racist towards a white person.

There was a robbery in Sweden in 2012 or so, where a police officer shot one of the robbers in the head on an open street. The robbers turned out to have fake weapons, which made a lot of people cry about how the police officer reacted. I remember a guy who is actually a gangmember who wrote on Facebook about the case, where he also suggested that "the police should strike (stop working) for 2 weeks as a protest. Just to show the society how important their job is. Maybe then people will start appreciating their job for once?"

I thought it was really remarkable, especially as it was a gangmember who wrote it. I think it's something to have in mind in my opinion.

Because I sense a lot of hatred towards the police and it seems to be growing due the internet and apply to every country.

You sound dumb as hell. Racism doesn't occur toward the people that hold more power and are allowed more freedoms around the world (or in this case, America). White people don't have to fear being shot down by police officers on a regular basis, even in the case of terrorists/mass murderers they're told to believe it's due to "mental instability" "being ostracized by society" and aren't called "thugs" "violent" or "troublesome to America".

I think the consecutive cases of miss conduct of police officers and the behavior of the judicial system in US shows issues way deeper than racism itself. Shows a dangerous fragility in the judicial system, the lake of capacity to address and punish a crime committed by a policemen is far more dangerous than the crime itself because open the doors to what one day was a mistake made by a single men become something mundane, become the reality of what black people face.

The issue here isn't just racism, is the lake of ability to address and control racism. You can't control a racist person but a Government  can control a racist system. The fact the system isn't color blind is far worse than the racist cop because is like the justice system itself gives the cop their blessing to be racist. In another words, the problem isn't the police is the entire justice system.

That video @Evil posted of the cop shooting that kid is shocking in so many ways. Is shocking they didn't wait more than 2 seconds to shoot and is also scary to think those cops have in many ways a reason to be afraid because a person can actually buy legally any weapon there for that civilian cold easily be holding an actual gun.

The thing that shocks me the most is how the media presents the case and how society behaves in US. As much as the system is corrupted, society is also guilty of lake of conscience because they address the matter as a problem of "black people" basically discarding those people are first and most of all US citizens. Isn't a problem of the blacks is a issue that belongs to everyone, how on earth a police can be so unprofessional and poorly trained? How the cop can fear so much random civilians they shoot first and ask later?

Well, excuse me for not having a definition of police brutality for every situation.

Maybe I should include when people are being reported for walking around with weapon-like objects, which the police success to identify when they arrive?

The OP spoke about "black people", "white folks" and "racism". So I did the same and put some of my thoughts about it. People must dare to discuss, point out and question things without being afraid of being called a racist.

- Why are there mostly young black males who are making a riot out of this? Why doesn't other join them? As in young black females, adults and white people?

- Why is the bond between the American police and Afro Americans so tense? Are people just imagining it? Could both parts have a reason for it?

Exactly!

1. Young black males aren't the only demographic of people rioting/looting stores.

2. If you look at any point of American history from the 1600's til now, you can see the correlation of Black Americans and the "justice" system. The police system has no valid reason to distrust young black people whatsoever. As a black male, I feel more afraid of the police every time I pass a cop car more than I do anywhere else because I don't want to become a statistic.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

You sound dumb as hell. Racism doesn't occur toward the people that hold more power and are allowed more freedoms around the world (or in this case, America). White people don't have to fear being shot down by police officers on a regular basis, even in the case of terrorists/mass murderers they're told to believe it's due to "mental instability" "being ostracized by society" and aren't called "thugs" "violent" or "troublesome to America".

I look for more factors to cause an excessive action than just racism. Criminals are bothered with the police presence regardless of their race.

Your description of reality seem really extreme in my opinion. I don't believe most (innocent) Black Americans are afraid of the police on a regular basis as you describe.

1. Young black males aren't the only demographic of people rioting/looting stores.

2. If you look at any point of American history from the 1600's til now, you can see the correlation of Black Americans and the "justice" system. The police system has no valid reason to distrust young black people whatsoever. As a black male, I feel more afraid of the police every time I pass a cop car more than I do anywhere else because I don't want to become a statistic.

What other demographics are common in this riot? I know they aren't the only one who has done riots in general, but we are talking about this specific event.

If so many think they are doing right, then why don't the entire city follow their example? Including females, adults, white people, teachers and so on...

What makes you "more afraid" than usual? Have you personally experienced something or is it the media who portraits the picture of the police hating black people?

America is racist towards other white people who aren't Western Europeans. 

glgcDdT.gif

I look for more factors to cause an excessive action than just racism. Criminals are bothered with the police presence regardless of their race.

Your description of reality seem really extreme in my opinion. I don't believe most (innocent) Black Americans are afraid of the police on a regular basis as you describe.

What other demographics are common in this riot? I know they aren't the only one who has done riots in general, but we are talking about this specific event.

If so many think they are doing right, then why don't the entire city follow their example? Including females, adults, white people, teachers and so on...

What makes you "more afraid" than usual? Have you personally experienced something or is it the media who portraits the picture of the police hating black people?

The riot clearly had a high majority of black people

glgcDdT.gif

Criminals are still people, and some of which have paid their debt to society. They're bothered but rightfully so.

It really doesn't matter what you believe to be true on the basis of my perception on my safety around the police. Statistically speaking of course, black males (and black people in general) have been murdered by police officers at alarming rates since 2010 (and that's the ones being covered by mass media). I have the right to be afraid because most of which are black, teenage males, all of which I am. Especially since I have the reason to fear a "justice" system that won't convict a police officer that may murder me one day.

The majority of the protests and such have been black people, because we are the ones being killed. But plenty of other races take part in helping us out.

Not to go into my personal life, but yes, on more than one occasion I (and many others in my family) have been stopped my officers for "fitting the description" of a suspect who does not physically resemble me in the slightest way.

I didn't mean to quote you, but you're completely right.

Criminals are still people, and some of which have paid their debt to society. They're bothered but rightfully so.

It really doesn't matter what you believe to be true on the basis of my perception on my safety around the police. Statistically speaking of course, black males (and black people in general) have been murdered by police officers at alarming rates since 2010 (and that's the ones being covered by mass media). I have the right to be afraid because most of which are black, teenage males, all of which I am. Especially since I have the reason to fear a "justice" system that won't convict a police officer that may murder me one day.

The majority of the protests and such have been black people, because we are the ones being killed. But plenty of other races take part in helping us out.

Not to go into my personal life, but yes, on more than one occasion I (and many others in my family) have been stopped my officers for "fitting the description" of a suspect who does not physically resemble me in the slightest way.

I didn't mean to quote you, but you're completely right.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

You might just be genuinely curious and are having trouble expressing it, but please don't invalidate @@comeintomybedroom and their feelings regarding the authorities when you're not black or American. I can't relate myself, but that rubbed me the wrong way.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but I don't think you can just "believe" that people (innocent are not) are fearful of the police. Sounds a tad bit ignorant and centric in some way or another. 

You might just be genuinely curious and are having trouble expressing it, but please don't invalidate @@comeintomybedroom and their feelings regarding the authorities when you're not black or American. I can't relate myself, but that rubbed me the wrong way.

Sorry if I'm misinterpreting, but I don't think you can just "believe" that people (innocent are not) are fearful of the police. Sounds a tad bit ignorant and centric in some way or another. 

comeintomybedroom has mostly called me a "piece of shit", told me that I have "ignorant & stupid opinions". And continuously states that "there's no reason to argue with someone from the internet" by arguing on the internet. :facepalm: Nothing else, really. And I have just asked comeintomybedroom to show any statistics that the people who are joining the riots aren't unemployed and outside the society. There should apparently be many of them?

I do respect Atom Heart's replies though. I don't mean any harm. I'm not in the forum to get cheap reputation points by picking on people who I believe are racists with one-sided anti-racist thoughts to make myself look like a good person either. I'm here to discuss and perhaps learn something of it. I think I did learn something by Atom's Heart's last post. That's the good part about international communities like these in my opinion, to learn about other countries laws, morals, cultures and so on.

It's not just one specific quote. It's the general attitude throughout your posts rationalizing almost anything police do.

People must dare to discuss, point out and question things without being afraid of being called a racist.

Couldn't agree more. We shouldn't be so afraid of making missteps. And people should be cut a little slack for minor missteps if they're acting in good faith. But that doesn't mean other people shouldn't point out our missteps.

I know my style of argument can be very confrontational, but I hope you can look past that to the points I'm making.

I don't seek answers, but I think people should notify this and try to reflect over it instead of ignoring it as there's a norm that it is wrong to have thoughts like these.

The answers to these questions are long and complicated, but they're not at all mysterious. You could fill a library explaining them, so I'll summarize the answer to most of them in one word: Racism. That will sound incredibly glib at first. But the more you think about it, and think about American history, the more you'll see it's not. Take for example why American police (or white Americans in general) fear blacks. Part of it is that they wildly overestimate black criminality due to racist attitudes and biased media coverage, but part of it is because black people do commit a disproportionate amount of crime in the US. However, if you ask why that is, you will uncover a myriad of systemic and socioeconomic problems. But if you keep asking why, and ask why those problems exist, in almost every case they have significant roots in racist policies and discrimination. So it's statements like "Having racism as an excuse for everything regarding darker people without searching for other reasons are getting quite tiresome" that seem empty. That approach is itself not very searching.

So that's all you have to say about the riot? It doesn't make any sense to me. Looks really empty. You also suddenly succeed to not see from an one-sided perspective this time as you did about the videos.

...Which makes me a bit suspicious if you really are against the riot or not. Because you surely seem to defend them a lot.

Where have I ever defended the rioting? I've spent a lot of time defending the victims in the police brutality cases I mentioned, but not the rioting. I've said it's important to understand the frustrations motivating the rioting, but I've never defended it. What part of "I don't condone the rioting at all" was unclear? Excuse me for not clutching my pearls about it or making a sufficient performance of outrage to satisfy you.

And regarding my supposed "one-sided perspective" on the videos. Just because I come down on the other side doesn't mean I haven't considered the police perspective. I understand how these incidents happened. But the problem is current policing practices are geared towards viewing these types of situations from a one-sided perspective and making hair-trigger reactions accordingly before there is a chance to consider any other interpretation of the situation, to devastating consequences. That needs to change.

Please go a head and link statistics from trustable soruces which proves that they aren't unemployed and outside the community.

I'm completely convinced that they are, but apparently there are many things that proves otherwise, which makes my "opinion ignorant".

I think you missed the point here. I don't think the objection here was about factual accuracy so much as tone. There is a high rate of unemployment there. They are marginalized by American society. But as I explained before, you described them is such a way as to denigrate them, not to understand what's motivating their frustrations.

I'm not in the forum to get cheap reputation points by picking on people who I believe are racists with one-sided anti-racist thoughts to make myself look like a good person either.

I honestly don't think that's what's motivating anyone here in this thread so far. If you think that's what I'm doing you're definitely mistaken. I'm more than willing to call bullshit on what's considered the politically correct anti-racist dogma when warranted.

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Six officers have been charged in the death of Freddie Gray, one with second-degree murder:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/05/01/us/freddie-gray-baltimore-death/index.html

thank god

comeintomybedroom has mostly called me a "piece of shit", told me that I have "ignorant & stupid opinions". And continuously states that "there's no reason to argue with someone from the internet" by arguing on the internet. :facepalm: Nothing else, really. And I have just asked comeintomybedroom to show any statistics that the people who are joining the riots aren't unemployed and outside the society. There should apparently be many of them?

I do respect Atom Heart's replies though. I don't mean any harm. I'm not in the forum to get cheap reputation points by picking on people who I believe are racists with one-sided anti-racist thoughts to make myself look like a good person either. I'm here to discuss and perhaps learn something of it. I think I did learn something by Atom's Heart's last post. That's the good part about international communities like these in my opinion, to learn about other countries laws, morals, cultures and so on.

Thank you for realizing the point I tried to make. Being a black person in America (or in reality, many other countries) is very difficult and is clearly shown in media. In a more recent case involving Baltimore, the media focused on 35 out of 4000+ people who were involved in the protest who were arrested. In reality, that's only 0.00875% of the people there.

uM2mzZZ.gifhoDhUSz.png?1

These videos are graphic, is crazy how out of control the Police in US is. Police brutality exists everywhere but I never saw something like this because THEY NOW they are being filmed. This is the crazy part! Those guys are so sure nothing is going to happen after brutally assault those woman ON CAMERA, inside the police station. Unarmed women in custody! Crazy Cowards. Both white by the way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=117&v=rRrMh851LzU

glgcDdT.gif