On the Regular - Favorite

Call It Off- Favorite

Hot Mess - Didn't like

Demon - Favorite, love the lyrics and this is the best song on the album for me

In for the Kill - Favorite, production is the best

Youth - Didn't like, only song I skipped

Darker - Okay

Head in the Clouds - Okay, good for a closer

KC (Bonus track) - didn't like, the acoustic was nice though.

I would give the album a C grade, but I really liked the majority of the album. Shamir is hot too, so that's a plus. I'd listen to 8/11 of the songs again.

@ I hope I rated this the way you were saying in the original post, if not, just let me know how you'd prefer it to be. I also color coded the song titles... 

it was great! As each user posts their review, I'll figure out the overall value of the record and it'll be posted by your name in the OP so everyone can follow who has completed it

BzhmW.png

Ok so for starters I didn't know if you wanted grades aside from A, C, and F so I did the colors but have the specific letter grade next to them depending on how that works.

Alright, so this was really far outside of my normal stuff but I liked it more than I thought I would. Aside from the music itself I will say that I really like his voice - whether it was an intent or not (some of the lyrics made it seem like maybe it was) I feel like he consciously played with androgyny and preconceived ideas on how people are "supposed" to sound and that was a really refreshing diversion from everything else that's been coming out recently and for forever.

1. VEGAS (rating: B)- Not something I would really throw on whenever just to chill, but I like the way it moves along and the saxophone in the background made for a solid opener.

2. MAKE A SCENE (rating: A)- I like this better than the first track, it flows better and the lyrics are really good - "It's side-effects of teen idleness, so // adulthood is one big mess."

3. ON THE REGULAR (rating: A)- Prbly my second fave on the album, so nice and carefree.

4. CALL IT OFF (rating: B)- A bit repetitive, yes, but I feel like it was probably intentional and even if it wasn't it was done well.

5. HOT MESS (rating: D)- Just not really feeling this one, the production isn't all that great and the distorted voice was really grating after a while.

6. DEMON (rating: A)- It sounds so light and happy compared to the rest and it adds a nice little break in the album without being jarring.

7. IN FOR THE KILL (rating: A)- Yes omg '20s vibes here we go. Fave off the album. Also the beginning reminds me of seagulls. I like seagulls.

8. YOUTH (rating: C)- For some reason the fact that it's so chill isn't really sitting all that well with me.

9. DARKER (rating: D)- So much potential but I really don't like the production - too floaty and doesn't really have any oomph to it.

10. HEAD IN THE CLOUDS (rating: B)- A nice bouncy little way to end the album, nothing exceptional though.

11. KC (BONUS TRACK) (rating: C)- Indifferent towards this one, not really my cup of tea.

qpgosw.jpg

"Oh it's the very handsome SitarHero,"   :bye2: 

Right? I had no idea I was capable of such #truthbombs in ol' 2Konethree :poordat:

I will do the assignment later lel

Shamir - Ratchet.

Vegas: I hated this one at first but then i started listening again and i loved the chill vibe and the instrumental. It reminds me of Hey Arnold!

Make A Scene: It's ok.

On The Regular : I hated him for this song at first since i thought he was trying to be Azealia. But then i started liking it a lot.

Call It Off : This is more of a B than a C.

Hot Mess : Its ok.

Demon: I really like this one I think an A-

In For The Kill: This is my fave lol

Youth: More of a B than an A lol

Darker : I like this one but it's the worst imo. It wouldnt be an F tho probably a D

Head In The Clouds: Great closer tbh, i like it a lot.

KC: This one is good. 

I want to participate in this too, it seems like a good idea and I always like to explore new music.

But...where should I get the album? I just checked in 2 places I usually get music from and it wasn't on either of them 

I want to participate in this too, it seems like a good idea and I always like to explore new music.

But...where should I get the album? I just checked in 2 places I usually get music from and it wasn't on either of them 

http://www.itemvn.com/album/?s=06E222A58B and the bonus track may be on Spotify idk. I got it from iplusfree

BzhmW.png

It should be on spotify. It is in Canada

Ratchet (Shamir's album) review

1. Vegas -  Shamir makes a tribute for his hometown – Las Vegas. I love the beat on this one . It’s so chill and it reminds me of “Blow” by Beyonce which was one of the highlights on ST , but this one is far away from being  an outstanding track . It’s just a cute album opener.  Rating: - B  

2. Make a Scene – I really like the lyrical content. I always laugh at this part : ”Girls like guys who’s ripped and buff, and /Guys like girls who have big butts, and /Girls are sad all of the time, ‘cause / Good guys are so hard to find” , but I’m not a big fan of the production . I find it annoying and the beat drop makes my head  explode. Rating: -C 

3. On the Regular – It’s messy and weird , but that’s not really a bad thing. The structure of the song, the beat and the way he sings the part after the breakdown remind me of Azealia Banks . Basically, it’s like I’m listening to a BWET outtake. Rating:  +B 

4. Call It Off – I find it very repetitive and it’s annoying  because it isn’t that type of song that makes you feel surrounded by a dreamy atmosphere. It just doesn’t work. Rating: -C 

5. Hot Mess – I’m not feeling it , sorry X. I find it very embarrassing and cringeworthy , but who knows… Maybe I’m wrong.  Rating:

6. Demon –  “If I'm a demon, baby / You're the beast that made me /Falling from grace” – maybe these are the best lyrics on the whole record.  The production on this track isn’t as explosive as on the previous songs and I like the laid back , relaxing sound.  Rating:  -A

7. In For the Kill – I’m not a fan of the vocals, but the production is ok . Rating: C   

8. Youth – A little bit boring and repetitive.  Sounds like filler material to me. Rating:  -C

9. Darker – Yeahh , I’ve been waiting for a song like this. The minimalist production brings the amazing vocals into relief . In my opinion , this is the best song on the album. Rating:  A

10. Head in the Clouds – The annoying production comes back again , but after listening to “Darker” is easier to digest it . It works as an album closer, but it’s not impressive at all. Rating:

tumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o1_400.giftumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o2_400.gif

1. "Vegas"
  2. "Make a Scene"
  3. "On the Regular"
  4. "Call It Off"
  5. "Hot Mess"
  6. "Demon"
  7. "In for the Kill"
  8. "Youth"
  9. "Darker"
  10. "Head In the Clouds"
  11. "KC"

Best song: "Vegas"

Worst song: "Head In the Clouds"

Best thing about Ratchet: His voice.

Worst thing: At some point, it feels monotonous.

It's like a mixture of Azealia Banks, Michael Jackson, less-electronic Kesha and some African-American R&B girl group which I can't remember their name.

Shamir

Overall comments – I don’t like his voice. The lyrics are nothing to remember. The production is very much the same throughout.

1. Vegas – NO

I find it funny someone who knows nothing about the nightlife in Vegas because of their age is singing about the nightlife in Vegas. The instrumental didn’t interest me and it felt like the song wasn’t going anywhere with his vocals. I think if someone had helped him a bit more with this song it could’ve been taken to the next level.

2. Make a Scene – OKAY

The song actually felt like it did something where the former couldn’t because the instrumental felt more fully developed. The vocals still feel monotone, but they’re also less important to the song. I might listen to this song occasionally if I’m extremely drunk.

3. On the Regular – OKAY

There’s a reason why this was released as a single previously…it’s probably one of the better songs on the record. It could be a Lone production (see 1991, Fantasea mixtape for examples), which works because I don’t think Shamir’s strength is production or vocals for that matter.

4. Call It Off – LIKE

I like Disclosure a lot, and this song reminded me of Disclosure. It has garage elements, but the chorus feels like a 70s soul/funk moment which is a needed contrast. We hear his higher range here which to me works better than his talk singing. The bridge is the funniest part.

5. Hot Mess – LIKE

This was playing in the background and I forgot I was listening to the album. I liked it though when I remembered I was listening to the album though. Clearly the lyrics were forgettable, but I’d dance at a club to it.

6. Demon – OKAY

It’s a cute song, despite how cliché the lyrics are. This song would’ve been better song by MIKA, who it sounds like he’s trying to imitate on this song. This will probably end up in the final scene of an indie rom com or C-list supernatural TV show like Vampire Diaries.

7. In for the Kill - NO

The title alone made me think of one of my favorite La Roux songs. The sax hook is needed to make this song avoid plunging into a complete bore. It was very busy, which was good because his voice was irritating.

8. Youth – NO

Few comments: it was repetitive. I was annoyed.

9. Darker – LIKE

This is most unique song on the record and probably the best. It was great.

10. In the Clouds – LIKE

I barely had to hear him sing on this one, so that’s good in my book. It felt directly out of a video game soundtrack a little and I didn’t mind.

11. KC (Bonus Track) – LIKE

It’s a shame all the good tracks are sort of just tacked on to the end.

BzhmW.png

1. Vegas - This song had me chanting the chorus whole day today.

2. Make a Scene 

3. On the Regular - This is definitely the highlight of the album.

4. Call It Off

5. Hot Mess

6. Demon 

7. In for the Kill

8. Youth - Worst one.

9. Darker

10. Hard in the Clouds - An epic closing track for the record, one of my favourites.

Overall, Ratchet is an okay album, which will probably sound better live, but I don't like a lot of the tracks featured on it (mostly because of Shamir's voice). There are few jams on the record, however (Tracks #1, #3, and #10)

I formatted my post like Andrew did, since it looks cool and the thread was his idea.

Shamir - Ratchet

1. Vegas – NO

His talk/singing whatever style annoys me in this song. I like some of the lyrics but I don't want to listen to this more.

2. Make a Scene – OKAY

I like the instrumental, really chill vibe but doesn't really get my attention

3. On the Regular – NO

Very unusual track, but not something I would listen to again and again

4. Call It Off – LIKE

Awesome intro is awesome. The first standout song on the album while listening through it, I like it. Good vocals. Towards the ending the instrumental becomes a little overbearing but it's kinda okay.

5. Hot Mess – NO

Uneventful and forgettable, it didn't leave me with any special impression.

6. Demon – LIKE

It has a nice chorus. Cute lyrics. Don't know what else to say about this one.

7. In for the Kill - NO

This has some great rhymes, but overall lacks something...it's a weird song that I dont want to hear again.

8. Youth – LIKE

The song really gets started after the first minute when production picks up, and it's surprisingly nice after that. I like it. I like the snaps in the background, the instrumental really makes the song for me. I really like the outro too. Yeah it's totally repetitive but it just works. Reminds me of Shake it Off and All about that bass and how their last 1 minute is basically nothing but the chorus on repeat.

9. Darker – NO

Very nice vocals in the first minute, but I don't like the lyrics and the song goes downhill after that, it's not for me.

10. In the Clouds – OKAY

I don't like the breakdown, if you can call it that, in this song. But otherwise it's good  and I could listen to it more, I maybe that part of the instrumental just has to grow on me. 

11. KC (Bonus Track) – NO

The vocal delivery kills this song for me

Overall, the album is not an unpleasant listening experience, it just doesn't have that kind of addictive quality that my faves have. I liked most of the production on the album though, and I wish him all the best.

I nominate Emotion by Carly Rae to be reviewed by the people of LB next week

Shamir - Ratchet

VEGAS: The beat is simple, but fun. Good opener. 7/10

MAKE A SCENE: Not really into this one. 5/10

ON THE REGULAR: Azealia Banks the house down. 6/10

CALL IT OFF: No. 3/10

HOT MESS: The chorus is awful. 2/10

DEMON: Nice, but a little boring. 6/10

IN FOR THE KILL: Slightly messy, but overall it's not bad. 7/10

YOUTH: Boring. The instrumental is alright. Very repetitive. 3/10

DARKER: I got up and started doing stuff around my house while this was playing. 2/10

HEAD IN THE CLOUDS: One of the better ones on the record. 7/10

KC: Very cute. I really like it. 8/10

TOP: Vegas

BOTTOM: Darker

WOULD I BUY IT: No

WOULD I DOWNLOAD IT: No

Comments: 

• The vocals are higher than expected
  • Slightly monotonous
  • Vocals & production occasionally don't mix well
  • Lesser Azealia Banks.
  • Songs sound very similar.
  • If the production was more hip-hop, this album would probably sound way better.

Vegas - I liked it, not the best on the record. The chorus can get boring after a while though.

Make a Scene - The beat break between the 2nd verse and pre-chorus is so fun, i love this track. Doesn't get boring halfway through like some of the other tracks. 
On the Regular  - For me, this was the best on the album. 

Call It Off- Fun track, but it gets a little overpowering if its on full volume.

Hot Mess - Alright. The song is very repetitive, I got bored very quickly.
Demon - This one is addictive! Love it.
In for the Kill - Absolutely amazing beat, this was stuck in my head all week.
Youth - boring 
Darker - Doesn't belong on the record, the sound is completely different.
Head in the Clouds - Again, the beat is killer.
KC (Bonus track) - nice backing track, but it's similar to 'Youth', it doesn't feel like it belongs in this record.

Favourite - On the Regular.

Least Favourite - Youth, Darker, KC.

Would i buy? - No

Would i download it? Yes

Overall, Shamir himself is a very intriguing character, and the album has some good jams.

But, some songs are monotonous and get very repetitive around halfway through.

god-damn.png

SHAMIR - RATCHET

VEGAS: It was a good opener in my opinion, liked the production, the lyrics were just kinda plain to me, his voice was good, liked the stems, I think I'll keep this on my library.

MAKE A SCENEGood track, the production was okay but I wouldn't listen to it a lot because the high pitched stems of the chorus would give me a headache. The lyrics were good, I liked the bridge of the song. Generally, it's okay, it's like a youth anthem to our generation, it gets motivational and I like it. I'll keep this on my library.

OFF THE REGULAR: I'm not sure if this is serious or sarcastical, but I didn't like it. Too narcissistic to me, I've never been a fan of self-glorifying yourself and place yourself above others. I will probably delete this from my library. 

CALL IT OFF: It's okay. The production is okay. The lyrics were okay too, nothing to be impressed, I lived a similar experience to this at some point in my life, so it's kinda funny. I'm yet deciding if I'll keep it or not.

HOT MESS: The vocals were the highlight of this track, the production was a little bit from the other tracks, good rest. The lyrics are okay, not bad, the only part I didn't like was the sexy, sexy, sexy, sexy parts. I'll keep this one too.

DEMON: This track was okay. Lyrics are good, they're funny but not bad, kinda cute. I'll keep this.

IN FOR THE KILL: I liked this one. The production was okay, lyrics too. His vocals were the highlight of this track for me. I will keep this.

YOUTH: The track was not bad but not good. The instrumental was the best part of it. Deciding to keep it or not.

DARKER: I liked everything in this track, it was calm and beautiful, one of my favorites in this album. I'll keep this.

HEAD IN THE CLOUDS: The annoying high pitched stems came back in this one and I didn't like it one bit. The lyrics were good. This was okay. Liked it as a closer, how he says he's going for more, good. Deciding yet if I keep it or not. 

KC: I liked this too, also one of my favorites. Lyrics are very cute and the guitar is simple, calm but good. It's like nothing on the album, like a hidden message on a note to his crush and I loved that. 

GENERAL SCORE: I give this album 7/10. The production was good at some points but at another it got very repetitive, on the first tracks it felt like it was one single track with a 15min lenght. The lyrics were okay in general. The highlight of the album to me is his voice.

Favorites: Vegas, Make a Scene, Demon, Darker and KC.

Worst: Off the Regular.

Would I buy it? No.

Would I download it? Yes, just my favorite tracks.

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif