LB Listens! - Week 2: Florence + the Machine

the average score of the record is a 2.66 which is roughly a B- 

2.66 out of 5, right?

I'll post my How Big rates tomorrow :)

2.66 out of 5, right?

I'll post my How Big rates tomorrow :)

4, I did it like a GPA

A = 4, B = 3, C = 2, D = 1, F = 0

a little over 24 hours until Week 2 closes!

BzhmW.png

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful  

Ship to Wreck - Honestly, when Flo talked about this track being about water I thought it would be a Ceremonials-esque song but I was wrong. It's such an unusual opening track becuase it starts abruptly with an explosive, upbeat tempo, but its lyrical content really sets the theme of the album which is based on personal experiences like self-destruction, alcoholism and being heartbroken. Rating: 

- What Kind of Man - The way her voice sounds in the beginning gives me chills, but after the guitar kicks in I'm electrified. It's so catchy and the hook is addictive despite being simpe af. I remember right after WKOM came out I went to take a quick shower which transformed quickly into a long karaoke session and the only lyrics I knew were "What kind of man loves like this?". Rating: 

- How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - In my opinion, this song is one of the best title-tracks ever created. The vocals give you shivers, the lyrics seem to be taken from a poem and the brass section that ends this track makes you feel like you're floating. Rating: +A 

- Queen of Peace - I hope this one becomes a single in the future because.... DAMN! This song is fire! The drum beat keeps the tempo energic and the trumpets make the chorus  sound like a part taken from an epic movie soundtrack. Rating: 

- Various Storms & Saints - After the overwhelming "Queen of Peace" this track comes like a column of water which extinguishes the fire. It tempers the album's flow and also, it gives you a moment of breathing but I can't guarantee that you won't end up in tears. Rating: 

- Delilah - The song starts peacefully and it continues to be peacefully.. well.. until an unexpected piano kicks in and Flo starts singing in falsetto the words "Too fast for freedom". Then the beats start to be more prominent and the vocals are at their peak. Finally, the song ends with the same falsetto that puts you in a trance. Rating: +A 

- Long & Lost - This one  is not as good as VS&S and I think the placement of this song is messing up a bit the flow of the album because after "Delilah" ends you would expect something that continues the alert pace but it's a cute track. Rating: -B  

- Caught - This is the only song (along with L&L) that it doesn't impress me.  Maybe the lack of trumpets is the "problem" . I don't know... These tracks don't have the fire I'm looking for. Rating: -B   

- Third Eye - Ok.. This song is destined to be singed by stadium crowds loud because it has that anthemic vibe and also it acts like a key which opens a door to self-confidence. Rating: 

- St Jude - It's one of my favorites and I think it has the most beautiful lyrics that Florence have ever written :  "And I'm learning, so I'm leaving/ And even though I'm grieving/ I'm trying to find the meaning/ Let the loss reveal it". God, this track is pure poetry. Rating: +A 

- Mother - The closing track will make you die from too much slayage. It will stab your heart with its psychedelic sound, it will asphyxiate you with the singing rage and it will make your head explode with the distorted guitars. Rating +A

tumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o1_400.giftumblr_o2bsk3y0kh1so86p6o2_400.gif

Ship to Wreck - my personal favorite, i love when she belts out "wreck" - A

What Kind Of Man - that transition with the guitars gets me everytime - A

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - the horns  :deadbanana:  - A

Queen of Peace - sounds like a song that would play during the ending credits of a movie, very cinematic, very good - A

Delilah - the first song I wasn't absolutely astounded by, it's okay though - C

Various Storms & Saints- reminds me of Ultraviolence, especially the guitar - A

Long & Lost - i got very bored with this song, I don't know why - F

Caught - relatable from personal experience and brought back some memories - A

Third Eye - not a fan of the repetitiveness of this song - C

St. Jude - ambient, extremely calming - A

Mother - very strong way to end the album -

Ship to Wreck - A Very catchy, yet simple indie song, love how she belts out vocals, especially at a opening track - A

What Kind Of Man - It feels like your typical alternative song, yet it has a strong instrumental to match with Florence's vocals - A

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - Very nice title track, it flows well with the other songs heard so far.  The addition of trumpets empower the song much more, anf the last minute of the track is spectacular - A

Queen of Peace - Very well produced track.  Its has a similar sound to the other tracks but it stands out as its own - A

Various Storms & Saints- good song to listen to at nigh, very chill. - B

Delilah - Not a memorable song, but it is a good song overall - B

Long & Lost - not a bad song, it was ok  - C

Caught - I like how this song doesn't feel rushed, it fits her style very well.  Great vocals and instrumentals - A

Third Eye - The upbeat music starts again, and is executed very well; great chorus.  

St. Jude - A very beautiful, simple track - A

Mother - An interesting way to close an album. Very "tropical"/"summery", and the rock-inspired chorus is a great touch - A

Not a bad album! Wasn't expecting to like so many tracks, as I've only hear about 3 of her older singles.  

Ship to Wreck A

What Kind Of Man B

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful B

Queen of Peace A

Various Storms & Saints  A

Delilah C

Long & Lost D

Caught D

Third Eye F

St. Jude D

Mother D

I HATE third eye ugh

And i want to ask if we can do after the florence one.

Strange Names - Use Your Time Wisely :)

this is the spotify link 

https://open.spotify.com/album/4TrOoOJ6ZbsSfmAis0CAMC

I had updated it to the Hilary Duff, Ryn Weaver or Zella Day album...but now the poll has disappeared lol

Starting 7/10 on global release day, all ratings will be new releases from that Friday

BzhmW.png

Ship to Wreck - A

What Kind of Man - A

How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful - A

Queen of Peace - A

Various Storms & Saints - A

Delila - A

Long & Lost - C

Caught - C

Third Eye - F

St Jude - A

Mother - A

Third Eye was so annoying but I absolutely adore the "you deserve to be loved" line though

Florence makes her transition into an alt. rock goddess. The album is frontloaded and, in my opinion, suffers at times from misdirection. It totally loses steam in the middle and struggles to regain the energy of the beginning of the record. The singles were also misleading and some of the bonus tracks could’ve replaced one or two on the standard edition.

1. Ship to Wreck: The cheery production of this song sharply contrasts the lyricism. It also contrasts the darkness of the video – A

2. What Kind of Man: I don’t need to talk about this one too much. The angry contrast makes the entire song explosive and the horns really take it to the next level – A

3. How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful: I might not have put this after WKoM on the tracklist because it seems disjointed (honestly this should’ve been the closer with the horn outro). It doesn’t have the replay value of the first two and the only thing I remember about it is the title – C

4. Queen of Peace: This melds the general stylings of Ceremonials and HBHBHB together. It’s probably one of the best songs on the record, despite not being very memorable. I could see the chorus filling up the air in a stadium – A

5. Various Storms & Saints: A very lush ballad. – A

6. Delilah: Boring, I almost didn’t know this was a different song from the previous one. It’s about 1:30 too long – F

7. Long & Lost: Another track with nothing worth remembering or replaying – F

8. Caught – C

9. Third Eye: A lot of people didn’t like this one, but I thought it was one I’d listen to again and gets the record back on track for a strong closing – A

10. St Jude: I loved this song since the first time I heard it. I also have a connection to it because St Jude was my confirmation saint – A

11. Mother: Meh. I already said my piece about how the title song needed to be the closer – C

BzhmW.png

Ship to Wreck - A

What Kind of Man - A

How Big How Blue How Beautiful - A (more like a B tho)

Queen of Peace - A

Various Storms & Saints - C

Delilah - A

Long & Lost - C

Caught - C

Third Eye - C

St Jude - A

Mother - C

Ship To Wreck - A/WKOM - A/ HBHBHB - A/ QOP - A/ VS&S - -A/ Delilah - A/ L&L - -A/ Caught - -A/ Third Eye - -A/ St. Jude - A/ Mother - -A Sorry if this is late and for the lazy edit but I'm on an iPad. Generally the album was great, imo. I love Florence so much so maybe that affected my judgement. Fave songs: STW, WKOM, HBHBHB, QOP.

QVi1xFV.gifDrH6LWV.gif0FHXTOj.gif

can @ or @@SitarHero help me with getting a poll up for week 3? full post editor won't let me do it

A poll in this thread? What would you like the question(s) and options to be?

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

A poll in this thread? What would you like the question(s) and options to be?

Which album should we do for week 3

options:

Zella Day - Kicker

Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

BzhmW.png

Which album should we do for week 3

options:

Zella Day - Kicker

Wolf Alice - My Love is Cool

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

...wtf, it won't let me do it either. @@SitarHero??

tumblr_n0offys8zL1rhl4f0o1_400.gif
you're so art froggo, out on the pond…

yeah I can't even update the OP anymore, it says "image extension not allowed in this community"

Ugh me either. Try creating another thread with a poll and we can merge it with this one maybe