letsescapelizzy

The Persona of Lana Del Rey

(what the hell, while we are all waiting for the song/album might as well have some more things to talk about..)

just curious as to everyone's opinions (educated hopefully), on Lizzy Grants Lana Del Rey persona.

I think Lizzy and Lana are 2 very different people. (one is real, the other is a made up persona)

some traces of both, slip into each other, but the persona is a persona. (made up).

interesting to see some young fans (or older maybe), whom think the persona is a real persons life,

but not to influence anyones thoughts in anyway, what do any of you think?

:creepna2:

Lana Del Rey is very much still Lizzy, just pretty much a glossy, "finished" version, hahah. Also, she concentrates on her aesthetics as Lana Del Rey.

tumblr_or3tpeCeWc1rtq3bfo1_400.gif

I think when Marina and the Diamonds created her persona 'Electra Heart' i realized maybe that is what Lana is doing (circa 2011/12)

But it's like Lizzy and Lana have now merged into one, so it's her true self just more polished :-)

tumblr_nr2lnbOJlH1s9arc8o1_540.png

I think when Marina and the Diamonds created her persona 'Electra Heart' i realized maybe that is what Lana is doing (circa 2011/12)

But it's like Lizzy and Lana have now merged into one, so it's her true self just more polished :-)

Actually, that could be right. At first, I was going to disagree, but now, I don't know...hmm.

I think that Lana had two phase.

The first one: btd-paradise. When she performed live she looked like Priscilla Presley and she was gorgeous, but she looks a little unhappy and she was ill I guess I don't remember it certainly.

Second phase: endless summer tour. A radically look change, more smiles, more happiness and more love to her fans. She seems like a more natural person now.

Between these two fase there's been the uv era, when she was like in the first phase but with a change.

Finally, I think that now she looks with us like she really is but before she used to separate the person she was from the persona she was in public

tumblr_ncf5qwtL1C1tktqnpo1_500.giftumblr_nn0o28ngn21u6a0a7o1_500.gif

I think that Lana had two phase.

The first one: btd-paradise. When she performed live she looked like Priscilla Presley and she was gorgeous, but she looks a little unhappy and she was ill I guess I don't remember it certainly.

Second phase: endless summer tour. A radically look change, more smiles, more happiness and more love to her fans. She seems like a more natural person now.

Between these two fase there's been the uv era, when she was like in the first phase but with a change.

Finally, I think that now she looks with us like she really is but before she used to separate the person she was from the persona she was in public

Yesss, I've started to realise that now. She's more herself, which I'm really glad. And I don't know, the word "honeymoon" to me, with its yellow-gold imagery, like the sunset, seems very natural.

Without you and Black Beauty perfectly ARE Elizabeth Grant.

After having surpassed just about every single female rocker /singer/ female led band (not talking top 40 but talking rock/ album rock and left all the others behind

this year's tour (having seen (was it 6 or 7) different shows, I can now honestly say she is now in the realm of Robert Plant/ Led Zeppelin (who never went for #1 hits

and kept their focus on albums (and not all that many in total actually). or a female Bruce Springsteen (who also did not avidly go for and never has had a #1 song, he had a bunch of top 10 at his very biggest)

It is incredible how she masters the stage, she OWNS the stage. It is hers. Every person who WANTS to be there is under the spell.

She and Robert Plant don't do the same type of show. Plant prances and struts, but he owns the stage

And I only noticed it this year perhaps because of Serial Killer. Her MOAN in Serial Killer IS Robert Plant grunts/screams

If she does nothing else, she could at any time over the next 40 years come back and do anything and it will be listened to, it will be analyzed, it will be attended

long as anyone who was around the last number of years she has been here is still here.

She already has insured her place

And hitting 30, she is secure in her place and while there will be dozens of new people that will come and go, perhaps all name dropping her, and perhaps

like those country people who begged to have a duet with Willie Nelson (the king of duets), which over the years may or may not happen, she will stand.

And like in Without You (and oddly enough something I myself always say too- money and material possessions can't buy time, can't buy happiness and can't buy love

Love is the ultimate goal and throughout that is the message. Personal and professional.

Perhaps she should cover or do a duet with Tom Jones on "Without Love" there is nothing at all. (from 1968)

(btw-the OP's prior posts have to be taken into consideration, and why do I get the feeling this thread was meant in a negative not positive way?)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

Without you and Black Beauty perfectly ARE Elizabeth Grant.

After having surpassed just about every single female rocker /singer/ female led band (not talking top 40 but talking rock/ album rock and left all the others behind

this year's tour (having seen (was it 6 or 7) different shows, I can now honestly say she is now in the realm of Robert Plant/ Led Zeppelin (who never went for #1 hits

and kept their focus on albums (and not all that many in total actually). or a female Bruce Springsteen (who also did not avidly go for and never has had a #1 song, he had a bunch of top 10 at his very biggest)

It is incredible how she masters the stage, she OWNS the stage. It is hers. Every person who WANTS to be there is under the spell.

She and Robert Plant don't do the same type of show. Plant prances and struts, but he owns the stage

And I only noticed it this year perhaps because of Serial Killer. Her MOAN in Serial Killer IS Robert Plant grunts/screams

If she does nothing else, she could at any time over the next 40 years come back and do anything and it will be listened to, it will be analyzed, it will be attended

long as anyone who was around the last number of years she has been here is still here.

She already has insured her place

And hitting 30, she is secure in her place and while there will be dozens of new people that will come and go, perhaps all name dropping her, and perhaps

like those country people who begged to have a duet with Willie Nelson (the king of duets), which over the years may or may not happen, she will stand.

And like in Without You (and oddly enough something I myself always say too- money and material possessions can't buy time, can't buy happiness and can't buy love

Love is the ultimate goal and throughout that is the message. Personal and professional.

Perhaps she should cover or do a duet with Tom Jones on "Without Love" there is nothing at all. (from 1968)

(btw-the OP's prior posts have to be taken into consideration, and why do I get the feeling this thread was meant in a negative not positive way?)

if you feel the op (me), was posting a negative thread you are sadly mistaken. its niether negative or positive, very much factual and neutral.

if you dont like the thread you dont need to reply to it right? lol, besides nothing you mentioned was in any context to the op.

i probably love lana alot more than you think you do matey. as far as previous posts dude, look at your own. its highly questionable to many of us.

but go ahead post what ya like. its a free world, just dont insult anyone when you try to reply

bye

sorry but the OP is a gotcha. Not a discussion. The wording is framed as a typical gotcha type to pull the repliers into a set response which sorry, but I don't bite

and I won't give an answer specific that indicates I fell for a gotcha.

Too many negative articles on Ms. Grant over the years do the same thing.

Frame in the first paragraph (and there have been so many, perhaps some don't even realize it is being done(in the press/media, not referring to any poster.)

My response answers the OP perfectly.

Perhaps ask Robert Plant if he has a "persona" or is his solo persona or Zep persona or duet with Alison Kraus persona separate or one of the same.

Perhaps ask Roy Orbison the same. Nobody did (whatever the classification in 2015 is (sad rock, tragicrock, death rock, emo, etc.) it better.

(btw, Roy never changed clothes, Roy never pranced the stage, Roy never did anything on stage but sing. He mastered the stage though.

The black and white sessions showed how superstars bigger than him, were in awe of every breathe he took (including Bruce and Elvis C.)

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

sorry but the OP is a gotcha. Not a discussion. The wording is framed as a typical gotcha type to pull the repliers into a set response which sorry, but I don't bite

and I won't give an answer specific that indicates I fell for a gotcha.

Too many negative articles on Ms. Grant over the years do the same thing.

Frame in the first paragraph (and there have been so many, perhaps some don't even realize it is being done(in the press/media, not referring to any poster.)

My response answers the OP perfectly.

Perhaps ask Robert Plant if he has a "persona" or is his solo persona or Zep persona or duet with Alison Kraus persona separate or one of the same.

Perhaps ask Roy Orbison the same. Nobody did (whatever the classification in 2015 is (sad rock, tragicrock, death rock, emo, etc.) it better.

(btw, Roy never changed clothes, Roy never pranced the stage, Roy never did anything on stage but sing. He mastered the stage though.

The black and white sessions showed how superstars bigger than him, were in awe of every breathe he took (including Bruce and Elvis C.)

Holy F*** man, what even are you trying to talk about? Try decaf next time. LOL. :thumb3:

Oh- by the way, your rant posts sounds completely irrelevant to any topic of discussion for Lana del rey anyway> I mean talking about a few artists from the 60 or 70's or whenever? seriously? what are you going on about? 

One word mate- disillusional bordering on mental issues..post all you want, you make no sense, but if you dont like the topic, thats too bad. good luck with the attitude.

nice ad-hominem spewing there on my (and when one resorts to those type of remarks on the internet, shows that one can't answer the response, so goes into

tearing down the poster (in this case, me).

I was just attempting to dissect the inner meaning of the OP and gave a response that was 100% on topic of the OP.

The OP is using a common technique that starts off both as a negative, and sexist. Most of the negative toward Lana Del Rey from reporters over the years

and including SNL barbs by Brian Williams of NBC News and many others (all negative) was sexist

Until UV came out and some of the haters turned into fans by realizing that oops, they weren't able to get rid of her, now they had to acknowledge her and people

like Black Keys Dan, and Jack White apologized and knew they couldn't keep being negative on her, as their own credibility was now in question by their original

harse negative, sexist judgement.

BTW- Robert Plant, whom I used as an ANALOGY is 1970s.

Sure, he was a session player in the 1960s but his fame started in the 1970s and continues today in a lesser extent now solo, and no longer on the merry go round

of the Led Zeppelin days (much to the wanting otherwise of the two other living members who wish he would just reuinite and make billions for them)

The OP was placed in shows. My remarks about Robert Plant were about his shows and his command of the audience, something Ms. Grant has mastered

in this tour. I don't compare her to any music act 2001-2015 as there are none to compare her to.

My point being Lana has long ago transcended the other artists today, and though most kids are not seeing it, or weren't there, what she is like the superstar

album acts in music history (the ones that don't care if they get #1 singles, but their albums almost all go Top 10. (and many released video (wasn't called that back then, but it was similar) in lieu of single play.

Same acts that since have after a decade or two or three, release amazingly huge box sets of all their materials.

And never are any of the male artists ever dissected the way Lana is dissected.

Their personal life wasn't for the most part talked or delved into. There was no talk about their professional persona vs personal persona.

And countless 1960s 1970s artists changed their name but there was not the negative back and forth as to who is who.

(most people really had no idea/clue as to where many of the legends came from or that they had a different name, that they played different music

However, the lyrics of Ms. Grant are very consistent from the earliest to the most recent.

(and the few that actually are call-outs to either specific persons or the negative press (including Money/Power/Glory & I *'d my way to the top which are both

tongue in cheek and actually opposite meaning but hitting the critics that hurt her (and all negatives in the press hurt even the strongest of artists/people)

Any even quick glance at the songs/lyrics of Ms. Grant from day one to the latest one today, show one persona.

Herself. Like a great writer, the lyrics today like the lyrics then, are herself in the moment or talking about an event of the person.

The music also transcends the production. (to use an example- if she does the written for Nina Simone's "Don't let me be misunderstood"

had the same lyrics that Ms. Simone sang, that later the Animals took to the top as a rock/hard rock almost psychedelic song, and that even later

was turned into a dance music top of the chart song by Santo Esmeraldo in the disco 70s.
The lyrics were the same.

If Ms. Grant wanted to, she could do an unplugged concert just have one piano or one guitar and vocal of her latest songs

Or, if Ms. Grant wanted to, she could do a UV type production on her earliest material.

One thing remains constant- the singer and the lyrics. It's all Ms. Grant, the writer/singer who has transcending the modern age. She didn't disappear like her critics

thought would have happened after SNL. 

But then again, I never thought she would in the first place. As the old cliché goes "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger", and there is no one more secure in

their place in the music industry as Lana Del Rey. She could disappear for 40 years, and in 41 years, people would fill the audience awaiting her return

-much like in the UK, another ancient artist (mostly unknown to teenagers today) from the 1970s (whom I saw live back then,singing a few songs in one of her very rare USA live performances), Kate Bush did after having not done concerts in decades.

Hopefully, to her supporters, Ms. Grant won't make people wait 40 years at any point in her life. (Unless she wants to, which is her right, it's her life not ours).

nice ad-hominem spewing there on my (and when one resorts to those type of remarks on the internet, shows that one can't answer the response, so goes into

tearing down the poster (in this case, me).

I was just attempting to dissect the inner meaning of the OP and gave a response that was 100% on topic of the OP.

The OP is using a common technique that starts off both as a negative, and sexist. Most of the negative toward Lana Del Rey from reporters over the years

and including SNL barbs by Brian Williams of NBC News and many others (all negative) was sexist

Until UV came out and some of the haters turned into fans by realizing that oops, they weren't able to get rid of her, now they had to acknowledge her and people

like Black Keys Dan, and Jack White apologized and knew they couldn't keep being negative on her, as their own credibility was now in question by their original

harse negative, sexist judgement.

BTW- Robert Plant, whom I used as an ANALOGY is 1970s.

Sure, he was a session player in the 1960s but his fame started in the 1970s and continues today in a lesser extent now solo, and no longer on the merry go round

of the Led Zeppelin days (much to the wanting otherwise of the two other living members who wish he would just reuinite and make billions for them)

The OP was placed in shows. My remarks about Robert Plant were about his shows and his command of the audience, something Ms. Grant has mastered

in this tour. I don't compare her to any music act 2001-2015 as there are none to compare her to.

My point being Lana has long ago transcended the other artists today, and though most kids are not seeing it, or weren't there, what she is like the superstar

album acts in music history (the ones that don't care if they get #1 singles, but their albums almost all go Top 10. (and many released video (wasn't called that back then, but it was similar) in lieu of single play.

Same acts that since have after a decade or two or three, release amazingly huge box sets of all their materials.

And never are any of the male artists ever dissected the way Lana is dissected.

Their personal life wasn't for the most part talked or delved into. There was no talk about their professional persona vs personal persona.

And countless 1960s 1970s artists changed their name but there was not the negative back and forth as to who is who.

(most people really had no idea/clue as to where many of the legends came from or that they had a different name, that they played different music

However, the lyrics of Ms. Grant are very consistent from the earliest to the most recent.

(and the few that actually are call-outs to either specific persons or the negative press (including Money/Power/Glory & I *'d my way to the top which are both

tongue in cheek and actually opposite meaning but hitting the critics that hurt her (and all negatives in the press hurt even the strongest of artists/people)

Any even quick glance at the songs/lyrics of Ms. Grant from day one to the latest one today, show one persona.

Herself. Like a great writer, the lyrics today like the lyrics then, are herself in the moment or talking about an event of the person.

The music also transcends the production. (to use an example- if she does the written for Nina Simone's "Don't let me be misunderstood"

had the same lyrics that Ms. Simone sang, that later the Animals took to the top as a rock/hard rock almost psychedelic song, and that even later

was turned into a dance music top of the chart song by Santo Esmeraldo in the disco 70s.

The lyrics were the same.

If Ms. Grant wanted to, she could do an unplugged concert just have one piano or one guitar and vocal of her latest songs

Or, if Ms. Grant wanted to, she could do a UV type production on her earliest material.

One thing remains constant- the singer and the lyrics. It's all Ms. Grant, the writer/singer who has transcending the modern age. She didn't disappear like her critics

thought would have happened after SNL. 

But then again, I never thought she would in the first place. As the old cliché goes "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger", and there is no one more secure in

their place in the music industry as Lana Del Rey. She could disappear for 40 years, and in 41 years, people would fill the audience awaiting her return

-much like in the UK, another ancient artist (mostly unknown to teenagers today) from the 1970s (whom I saw live back then,singing a few songs in one of her very rare USA live performances), Kate Bush did after having not done concerts in decades.

Hopefully, to her supporters, Ms. Grant won't make people wait 40 years at any point in her life. (Unless she wants to, which is her right, it's her life not ours).

are you bored?

I'm so lucky I love sunbathing and moonbathing

LOL, anyone have any good, well thought out, intelligent posts to make on this?

DUH, of course Lizzy Grant and LDR are from the same physical person, LOL,  but as we all know, 

we create characters and movie scenes in our characters, much like writing a book or a movie script.

it needs to be interesting for others. Lizzy said this before. people like to color things up.

People should realize how foolish they can sound (or look), when they can create a thesis on something

that is completely based on their interpretation (opinion) on the topic at hand, and none (or very little) based on reality.

We all love fantasies dont we? :)

I think Lana Del Rey is just a stage name, and it doesn't go deeper than that.

She herself has even said that there is no difference between Lizzy and LDR. I do think that she tries to be herself in public, but obviously she's still a different person when she's just with her friends and family and not in front of a camera or crowd. But this is more of a privacy thing than a "persona" thing. I don't think she has sat down and consciously created a character she's going to play for everyone.

A lot of artists use stage names. Rihanna's real name is Robyn, Nicki Minaj's real name is Onika Maraj, Bruno Mars is Peter Hernandez, Calvin Harris is Adam Wiles, Lorde is Ella O'Connor, etc.

For some reason people have a strange fixation with Lana's stage name. It's just show business as usual.

149o3h3.jpg

couldnt be bothered to read that grahams long ass posts, but i think maybe lanz was encouraged to make a persona by the record label/manager/whoever, possibly due to the fact that she tried the lizzy grant thing before? well i think it might have began like that but she definitely merged lizzy into lana, and now lana is just lizzy with a stage name.  

just my running thoughts tho dont think that even made sense

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

For some reason people have a strange fixation with Lana's stage name. It's just show business as usual.

I think maybe because people thought she was very strange at the beginning.

tumblr_myss44sOvJ1sut3cso1_250.gif

I am a very good judge of character, and I still have so much trouble trying to figure her out.

Yes, sometimes i feel the same. i am sure me and her are extremely similar in many levels. I am much much more interested in her

than just the music. i worry a little about physc stuff, like BorderlinePD, etc, i wonder if any of that comes into play as well. personal stuff tho..

probably not for a forum, but still, thngs i think 'bout.. moodiness, and things.. guess everyone has something..