Mafiosa

High By The Beach

Rob pretty much confirmed the meaning of the song with his recent post on Instagram. It's the shot Chuck took of Lana holding the gun captioned "Paparazzi beware.."

49093006537_7ae76bb4ce_o.jpg

• 4.18.14 • 5.1.14 • 9.20.14 • 5.28.15 • 6.14.15 • 7.28.16 • 7.24.17 • 10.23.17 • 10.24.17 • 1.25.18 • 2.5.18 • 12.5.18 • 10.3.19 • 10.11.19 • 11.16.19 •

SF • ATL • ATL • IND • ATL • CHI • LDN • NYC • NYC • DC • ATL • NYC • PDX • SAN • KS

(Outro)

Everyone can start again

Not through love but through revenge

Through the fire we're born again

Peace by vengeance brings the end

This line always reminds me of the scene in the West Coast video where she's on fire in the red dress and then starts to extinguish as she's 'born again' in the leather jacket

I love this song soooo much. Until the video I assumed it was to one of her bad boys, and I loved it then too, but I like it even better now. I don't know how I didn't catch the meaning sooner. What a perfect little "fuck you" to everyone who tore her apart for so long. 

One line that has been awkward to me was "Pay tribute to me" because

a) it sounds mafioso 

(still keeps it OG)

b) tribute/tribunal/tribune share a root and their definitions are comparatively interesting especially since a lot of newspapers are titled, ____ Tribune etc. (media)

c) All of the referencing back to past lyrics made me think of when Lana sings about being saluted (you salute me, Miss America) and I think this "pay tribute" line is the reference to that. 

(more references to past song lyrics)

One line that has been awkward to me was "Pay tribute to me" because

a) it sounds mafioso 

(still keeps it OG)

b) tribute/tribunal/tribune share a root and their definitions are comparatively interesting especially since a lot of newspapers are titled, ____ Tribune etc. (media)

c) All of the referencing back to past lyrics made me think of when Lana sings about being saluted (you salute me, Miss America) and I think this "pay tribute" line is the reference to that. 

(more references to past song lyrics)

I think it's mostly referencing all the media that would arrange interviews etc. disguising it as "paying tribute" to her, but really their intentions were just to get a story out of her, hence the "never bought into your bullshit" line following this. I think it took Lana some time before she noticed that more often than not, the media weren't trying to help her promote her work & they had no interest in analysing her art, all they wanted to do was manipulate her into saying something controversial or painting her as inauthentic, fake, unoriginal, etc. 

Remember when we thought it wasn't fashionable to love this song. I'm glad this time is over, every single version of this song is perfect, every remix is good, this melody is one of the best Lana has created I'll never forget the day it leaked

ZKcaooE.png

i casually say "all i wanna do is get high by the beach" in most conversations now. usually a response to "what should we do?". then someone suggests going to the beach and then im like nah the river is cool too.

(also all i wanna do is get high by the beach)

i am the queen of the universe. the waves part, and they engulf me, and the water is warm.   

https://onlineparades.bandcamp.com/album/sure-jan

:legend: This song :legend:

I remember when it leaked and 50% of her fans were like "OMG! This is not the Lana del Ray I used to love!!!1" :toofunny:

:legend: This song :legend:

I remember when it leaked and 50% of her fans were like "OMG! This is not the Lana del Ray I used to love!!!1" :toofunny:

I was part of that 50% :toofunny: it just felt so... plastic, so "made to sell", and it's very repetitive.

It was very different from what Ultraviolence was, at the end of UV I percieved Lana as this different singer who choose to stop making pop songs to pursue a real artistic career, we went from real artist girl to taylor swift and I didn't really like that, or at least that's how I felt it...

It took some time for the song to grow on me

8ve9II4.gif

tumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo1_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo2_250.giftumblr_mthwqtumEQ1r7oj7fo4_250.gif

I play this song everyday to this day

Me too. So simple yet absolutely mind-blowing. The confidence on the lyrics and her voice, the hypnotic production and melody, the epicness of the last chorus. Truly a hit that got away.