letsescapelizzy

Honeymoon Sales

This is simply not true. Radio is still and will stay for a long time the biggest source for Americans to discover new music. 

You really don't wanna tell us that the fact that she made 60k $ with this album thorugh streaming is a big success? In times when streaming is exploding? For comparisons sake: freaking Demon Lovato almost outstreamed HM with one song and let's not even talk about Selenputa or Ariana Grindr! Or Trashley or Melanin Martinez who are her competition among the younger demographic, an audience Lana had in the palm of her hand 4 years ago.

Let us say it as it is: Honeymoon was a flop. If she really wants to turn things round she needs collabs with relevant artists and music that is streaming friendly, lots of touring all around the world accompanied with effective promotion. iTunes will be dead in a few years (probably by 2020).

But I am really tired of this discussion. Lana has faded and will soon be on the level of Marina and the Diamonds. 

A great example of knowing how to play the cards right: Sia

A great example of not knowing how to do so: Lady Gaga

The math is actually harder than I thought. I said .003 cents but what I meant was .003 dollars. The value I'm trying to remember is .3 cents (a third of a cent). Now as for radio being important, my guess is it works if you pay for the exposure, sure. But I haven't listened to it in years. I do remember hearing LDR on college radio though and did not mean to suggest that was worthless.

The math is actually harder than I thought. I said .003 cents but what I meant was .003 dollars. The value I'm trying to remember is .3 cents (a third of a cent). Now as for radio being important, my guess is it works if you pay for the exposure, sure. But I haven't listened to it in years. I do remember hearing LDR on college radio though and did not mean to suggest that was worthless.

The amount what an artist gets from streaming is also determined by the contract they sign with their label. Different artists get different amounts. It ain't the same for everybody.

However, when we take these two examples Sia and Gaga we see that radio does matter. Sia is hugely beloved by radio and many will say that she doesn't release pure generic garbage. You may like or dislike her, depends on what your stance on her is really, but she has used all promo tools the right way. Releasing great visuals, accompanied with some rare live performances, radio friendly singles etc which fueled her streaming numbers.

Lana's label mate Gags, released a jazz alboom with a mummy when streaming was about to explode, released a flop album before and now with unlistenable songs she can not break onto radio and barely stays a week in the Top200 on US Spotify. And she was called the next Madonna a few years ago. Strategy what to release and when and how to effectively place your material is more important now than ever. The importance of the super young audience has never been this big like it is now. 

But I totally agree with you that streaming is taking over sales. This is a trend that is going on for years and now has become more than evident.

Can you imagine if Lana was NOT in her videos or showing herself like Sia gets away with???

Sia is dance music which radio plays, but if one asks the average person on the street, betcha they have no idea of her name and while Chandelier might be titled right,

how many Americans can name any other song of hers? (But she is raking in the big bucks with her GIMMICK.)

Sad that she is ashamed of her looks that she hides them. Sad that she attempts to hide her age too. It would be great if she would be more open

(Betcha people think the kid in the videos is her, so they think they are hearing a teenager).

But tell me, why didn't Weeknd's people release  Prisoner duet as a single?

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp

I would bet Lana brings in more profit on her contract vs. expenses than almost any other recording artist (i.e.=take home pay after taxes and expenses that one can

put in the proverbial bank).

I also bet Lana makes the record company the same- more profit vs. layout of any other artist (in %, making it a good financial deal for all involved.

Remember that at end of day, the artist usually owes the record company mega bucks from the time a contract is signed and most artists don't get 6 albums of massive popularity, especially in historical terms, women singers. Usually one or two and career over. #6 coming soon.

and in a snap of the fingers, any song could instantly be a #1 song either by her or someone singing her song at some point or placed in movie

I foresee Broadway musical and possibly the country market

Imagine if she and Dan reshaped the country music industry in a way like Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris did.

Lana is our modern day Edith Piaf. Totally unique. a mixture of Brian WIlson Roy Orbison, Leonard Cohen, Gram Parsons, Elton & Bernie. Born to Die/Paradise is comparable to Elton's Captain Fantastic. All the records need to be listened whole. Waiting for a box set vinyl of all 400 songs not on any lp