Sign in to follow this  
veniceglitch

Lana covers V Magazine's Best of the Best Issue

She needs to bring this type of visual to her albums and music videos. It doesn't have to be this "dark" but just as striking.

Her visuals have been very pedestrian since the start of Ultraviolence era. Quite honestly, the video for HBTB turned me off the song (the video is not bad but just not striking enough). And most of the UV videos were just really bad.

Her sense of style also gone down the drain as well, the tour outfits were quite horrendous. I don't want to be "negative" but it is what it is. She used to have great style and an iconic feel to her look Not just in her music but her whole image. That's all lost and fading away. She has become rather "basic" now. The album cover of Honeymoon is another example. It's like she's loosing her focus or something.

I hope she pulls through. I hope honeymoon is not her art pop.

I seriously wonder how Lana lets things get pass sometimes. I am as a fan can look at her previous videos and compare them to her recent ones and you can really see OBJECTIVELY that there's a DECLINE.

I really wonder if Lana is aware of that. Does she even look BACK at her BTD era videos? Maybe the backlash of the era (critically) has really deeply affected her to a point that it changed her perception how things really were that era. We may never know.

In V Magazine's "Best of the Best" issue (on newsstands September 18th), the sultry songstress (who was photographed by Steven Klein and styled by Mel Ottenberg) reveals to pal James Franco that interviews put her "in a bad f---ing mood."

"I really try and keep my world beautiful but it’s tricky," she says. "We’re at a point in time when life truly can be what you want it to be."

She also defends her music to the detractors who deem it negative or too melancholy. “First of all, when you’re writing a record alone, you don’t really think about the effect your music is going to have on other people. I’m not really the type of person to condone any behavior that would end up being harmful to anyone else but at the same time I’m not going to limit my lyrical content to things that don’t really relate to me or sing about things just because they rhyme.”

In V Magazine's "Best of the Best" issue (on newsstands September 18th), the sultry songstress (who was photographed by Steven Klein and styled by Mel Ottenberg) reveals to pal James Franco that interviews put her "in a bad f---ing mood."

"I really try and keep my world beautiful but it’s tricky," she says. "We’re at a point in time when life truly can be what you want it to be."

She also defends her music to the detractors who deem it negative or too melancholy. “First of all, when you’re writing a record alone, you don’t really think about the effect your music is going to have on other people. I’m not really the type of person to condone any behavior that would end up being harmful to anyone else but at the same time I’m not going to limit my lyrical content to things that don’t really relate to me or sing about things just because they rhyme.”

i love her

YES 

Shading Taylor Swift

tumblr_mgg7niY79H1qggpkco1_500.gif

WeJxFPT.gif

Wy8jf2U.jpg

She needs to bring this type of visual to her albums and music videos. It doesn't have to be this "dark" but just as striking.

Her visuals have been very pedestrian since the start of Ultraviolence era. Quite honestly, the video for HBTB turned me off the song (the video is not bad but just not striking enough). And most of the UV videos were just really bad.

Her sense of style also gone down the drain as well, the tour outfits were quite horrendous. I don't want to be "negative" but it is what it is. She used to have great style and an iconic feel to her look Not just in her music but her whole image. That's all lost and fading away. She has become rather "basic" now. The album cover of Honeymoon is another example. It's like she's loosing her focus or something.

I seriously wonder how Lana lets things get pass sometimes. I am as a fan can look at her previous videos and compare them to her recent ones and you can really see OBJECTIVELY that there's a DECLINE.

I really wonder if Lana is aware of that. Does she even look BACK at her BTD era videos? Maybe the backlash of the era (critically) has really deeply affected her to a point that it changed her perception how things really were that era. We may never know.

article-0-13612CAB000005DC-775_468x348.j

I agree with both of these. Although I love UV and I think it really did prove she her musical capability and ability to cross into new styles while still having her signature sound and being unique, nothing yet has topped the BTD era for me. BTD had better standout songs while UV had a better album overall. BTD had better lyrics. I liked her style better in BTD (the 50s/60s glamour looks, for example this photoshoot). And most of all, BTD had much much much better videos. That's really the thing I miss most from Lana. Her videos from BTD were really so phenomenal, combining aesthetic, storyline, great editing, great cinematography, fitting for the songs. Yes I like her home videos too. But even her home video for Video Games was a million times better than the home videos she's been giving us lately. Now, I'm not even caring much for the Honeymoon songs we've heard so far. Can only hope it'll somehow to turn out to be as great as BTD or UV musically to me, or maybe even an era as great as BTD. But I don't think BTD will be able to be topped for me as a whole.

It’s not about having someone to love me anymore

This is the experience of being an American whore

I agree with both of these. Although I love UV and I think it really did prove she her musical capability and ability to cross into new styles while still having her signature sound and being unique, nothing yet has topped the BTD era for me. BTD had better standout songs while UV had a better album overall. BTD had better lyrics. I liked her style better in BTD (the 50s/60s glamour looks, for example this photoshoot). And most of all, BTD had much much much better videos. That's really the thing I miss most from Lana. Her videos from BTD were really so phenomenal, combining aesthetic, storyline, great editing, great cinematography, fitting for the songs. Yes I like her home videos too. But even her home video for Video Games was a million times better than the home videos she's been giving us lately. Now, I'm not even caring much for the Honeymoon songs we've heard so far. Can only hope it'll somehow to turn out to be as great as BTD or UV musically to me, or maybe even an era as great as BTD. But I don't think BTD will be able to be topped for me as a whole.

I agree with this but that Lana is gone forever. Most artists start really small and then they get bigger, more budget, bigger projects etc but for Lana it was the other way around. She started HUGE, huge marketing, big videos, short films, expensive photoshoots and she was SO successful. Now she's lucky if she gets 1 cameraman and maybe 1 or 2 extras. She's mostly by herself in her videos now.

It's her choice tho. We, as fans, enjoyed it but she wasn't enjoying any of it and it made her miserable. She's doing her own thing now and I guess the record label is not willing to invest. I'm glad we're still getting new music  :flutter:

I agree with you but I think that's what makes these V photographs so beautiful - they remind me so much of the Paradise days and as I said before, back to even when I first saw Video Games. In fact I saw that lots of comments on her Instagram posts of these photos were celebratory words to the effect of 'Old Lana is back'.

I agree with you in that that I was beginning to doubt whether this era would be as beautiful as any before, especially with the disappointing album art (in my opinion). However, to me these photographs look like a combination of Ultraviolence and Paradise, and they have completely renewed my faith in Lana and I'm looking forward to Honeymoon more than ever. 

it says 'lots of love'? i mean i guess it kind of looks like an 'o' but that would be strange 

I admit being perplexed nobody in the thread was mentioning it looking like "Loo" (Brit slang for toilet), so I might indeed be odd. You were the closest, so I responded to you. If a lot of people had the same idea, however, I think it's interesting, because photos are so easily duplicated and she could have made it less ambiguous, that is, if somebody around her had actually said "hey this looks like 'Loo of Love' ".  Maybe she was going for "Look of Love" and just changed her mind? Anyway, I don't think you have to interpret it quite as precisely as you do, because it could be a more general and vague "love is in the toilet" sentiment (i.e., she seems upset and quite sardonic). Then again maybe it's a Duchamp/Dada reference. Lana Del Rey, you never know™.

I want to know what date the interview took place and the photos. Her comments about the Flipside book on the BBC interview and the tone of this interview (seemingly, let's wait to judge til we read it's entirety) don't seem in sync

I admit being perplexed nobody in the thread was mentioning it looking like "Loo" (Brit slang for toilet), so I might indeed be odd. You were the closest, so I responded to you. If a lot of people had the same idea, however, I think it's interesting, because photos are so easily duplicated and she could have made it less ambiguous, that is, if somebody around her had actually said "hey this looks like 'Loo of Love' ". Maybe she was going for "Look of Love" and just changed her mind? Anyway, I don't think you have to interpret it quite as precisely as you do, because it could be a more general and vague "love is in the toilet" sentiment (i.e., she seems upset and quite sardonic). Then again maybe it's a Duchamp/Dada reference. Lana Del Rey, you never know™.

I'm sorry to disappoint you but it's just her usual autograph / signature. "Lots of Love. Lana Del Rey." :)

tumblr_mnsmufbfWV1sqh0koo1_400.png

tumblr_mok201PW7z1s8a280o1_500.png

tumblr_lv9m6aWdX11r0zhka.jpg