Photo

Honeymoon (Post-Release and Discussion Thread)

• Please log in to reply
2867 replies to this topic

#2821 OFFLINE   prettywhenicry

prettywhenicry

Ultraviolence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Fan Since:February 2012
  • Time Online: 22d 14h 16m 40s

Posted 04 June 2017 - 12:57 PM

HM is the only album that grew on me. I still can't listen to BTD or Paradise without skipping one song.
  • cashcomesquick, delreyfreak, LOVE and 4 others like this

tumblr_osek6ugplk1s2u73uo2_540.gif

#2822 OFFLINE   vodkaa

vodkaa

Don't Be A Bummer, Babe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationWest Coast
  • Fan Since:2012
  • Time Online: 8d 14h 5m 25s

Posted 07 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

Sometimes I wake up, in the morning to red, blue and yellow skies . . .

• prettywhenicry and DLT like this

Posted Image

#2823 OFFLINE   ImTragic

ImTragic

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • LocationRomania
  • Time Online: 11d 17h 31m 34s

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:26 AM

Last night i wrote poetry listening to Honeymoon (art deco especially). It calms me down so much and it gets me back in contact with my self

Its no. 1 for me :smokes:
  • cashcomesquick and LOVE like this

#2824 OFFLINE   salvatore

salvatore

back to tha basics

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  • Locationwrong side of the tracks
  • Fan Since:valentine's day, 2013
  • Time Online: 25d 2h 33m 40s

Posted 08 June 2017 - 08:16 AM

while i like the other albums as a whole; HM has some of my favorite work of hers- God Knows I Tried is absolutely beautiful, especially when you're on a beach at sunset

( :flutter: ), HBTB & MTWBT are incredible singles and fun breaths of air while listening through the album, and Religion is tied for my favorite song out of her released work, it just embodies my affection with my lovers and how I like mine- owning and softcore worship :)), even the line "when I'm down on my knees you're how I pray" is perfection. Salvatore in itself is also just a nice song. Goddamn I fucking some of the songs themselves but as an album I rarely ever listen to it through and through, although that's the same for every album :/

• Slumdog, Volta and LOVE like this

𝓲𝓶 𝓰𝓸𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓽𝓱𝓻𝓸𝓾𝓰𝓱  gmagik.gifalien_salvatore_gif_RESIZED.gifgmagik.gif𝓪𝓷 𝓲𝓭𝓮𝓷𝓽𝓲𝓽𝔂 𝓬𝓻𝓲𝓼𝓲𝓼 

#2825 OFFLINE   Miss Honeydew

Miss Honeydew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationFields of Tropico
  • Fan Since:Autumn of 2012
  • Time Online: 11d 15h 12m 53s

Posted 08 June 2017 - 06:53 PM

EDIT: holy shit I wrote a novel. Apologies lol 

Okay. I'm very late to the party but I'd figure that I could still give my opinion on the album since I'm bored. (I'll probably do UV soon). 

First off, High By the Beach. When released as a promotional single, it felt uninspired and out of place. Like it wasn't her sound. I think I was thrown off by the [then in trend] trap beats. The harmonies in the chorus were whimsical and I cringed every time I heard them. Then when the music video came out for it. Uh.. Her running around her freeway house and the CGI was questionable to say the least. I immediately understood the sound once Lana said that HBTB was the last track she made. Because it sounded like it! I think if she approached the track without the trap beats, didn't rush it, and left out that god awful MV, I would've liked it more.  [It gets better later on]. 

When I heard the snippet of the title track, Honeymoon, on IG-- I didn't know what to think of it. [not in a bad way]. It was just that I never heard something like it before. It was slow, minimal, and full of vocal character. The visuals left me intrigued and I am happy it made its way online. Even though it was just her putting on make up, I found it entrancing. She was glowing and actually looked like she was on a Honeymoon. Once the title track came out in full, I was overjoyed. It sounded dreamy, almost melancholic. Slow, but that's what I love. The bridge always leaves me shook. 

Terrence Loves You was an otherworldly experience when I first heard it. I absolutely loved the picture of her with her bangs in what appears to be a botanical garden. The references to Bowie and Major Tom left me an emotional wreck. Especially when David passed, the song made an even deeper impact. It drowned my sorrows as I put it on repeat. Along with Life on Mars?, Starman, and my personal favorite, Lady Grinning Soul.  

Music to Watch Boys to was a track where I was left completely captivated by the instrumental. Such a stark contrast from the heavily processed and rushed production of High by the Beach. Music to Watch Boys to felt organic, ethereal, and right on the nose when it comes to Lana's signature love forlorn. What impressed me was the use of new instruments. The experimentation with oboes, flutes, clarinets, and an omnichord. The music video felt equally dreamy and was impressed with the visuals. Like the guys playing basketball and Lana seductively sipping her drink and brushing her hair. And let's not forget those iconic flower headphones! Despite what HBTB promised, Music to Watch Boys to redeemed Lana in terms of music video visuals. But not for very long-- [Freak MV opinion later on].

When the album finally dropped I was underwhelmed to say the least. I listened to the tracks and felt perplexed-- was this the sound she was trying to go for? Amidst a slow start, the interlude, and then a shift in tone for the last few tracks. And god knows what she was trying to achieve with that Nina Simone cover! It took me more than a month to finally start to appreciate the entirety of Honeymoon. Only when I bought the physical album, came back home and listened on my age defying cd-player did I hear the difference. My opinion shifted. This actually was a multi-layered, experimental album for Lana. And a very personal one at that. After a few more listens did I gain an understanding and deep appreciation for each track. And to this day, I need to listen to at least several tracks on the album to function [along with UV, but I'll get to that in UV's post]

God Knows I Tried felt like Lana reminiscing her life, of how she began and where she is now. Singing them as if they were her last words, saying to God that she knows she did her best-- that she's at peace with everything around her. Heart wrenching!  Religion, a personal favorite, with an acoustic guitar and almost vintage feel. Professing her allegiance to her love. The Blackest Day, where the bridge left my wig burning on the surface of the sun, is another ode to her love who's left her. A mid-tempo bop that should've been released as a single. And underrated gem 24, that needs a film of its own [bye Bond]. The outro and sudden silence / 3 second gasp left me so shook I'm still recovering. 

Freak / Art Deco are two tracks which I consider to be joint. The transition is perfect and even though the tracks touch on different subjects, I feel they shouldn't be separated. When Freak's music video came out, I [and others] got excited when the timing was 10:52. We had hopes she'd include Art Deco in there-- but no. A major waste of 5 minutes that was when it was just the cult of Freak swimming in the sea [or dying??] Even more disappointing when it was revealed that this was rejected Ultraviolence footage. Actually, the whole thing was. The footage suited Ultraviolence so much more [what I saw from fan-made edits]. Such a shame for both Freak, Art Deco, and UltraviolenceBut I presume it was out of Lana's control. So it's forgiven. 

Honeymoon has since then become my joint favorite album of Lana's. The complexity is intriguing and beautiful. Even though it's on the slower side, I love it. And I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but that's fine. At first I thought the album was about her climb to fame, and how she's coping with it. [Alluded by the Starline bus]. But then I saw those tweets about Honeymoon being about obsessive love, and I rest my case there. 

tl;dr despite your flaws, I do love you Honeymoon   :kiss3:

• triangles19, Slumdog, cashcomesquick and 5 others like this

#2826 OFFLINE   prettywhenicry

prettywhenicry

Ultraviolence

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,388 posts
  • LocationGermany
  • Fan Since:February 2012
  • Time Online: 22d 14h 16m 40s

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:40 PM

I think UV & HM have a great story together.
  • triangles19, delreyfreak, xcx and 2 others like this

tumblr_osek6ugplk1s2u73uo2_540.gif

#2827 OFFLINE   Body Electrician

Body Electrician

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Time Online: 2d 9h 40m 18s

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:46 PM

Sometimes I wake up, in the morning to red, blue and yellow skies . . .

One of my favourite Lana tracks lyrically  :defeated:

• vodkaa likes this

YjdrWYc.gif Put your white tennis shoes on and follow me BrFiN7T.gif

#2828 OFFLINE   Jiggy

Jiggy

Tangerine Dreams

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 367 posts
  • LocationUK
  • Time Online: 49d 2h 46m 59s

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:57 PM

[Chorus]
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried
God knows I tried

• lernerderrey, delreyfreak, SlowGinFizzzz and 2 others like this

Tangerine Dreams

#2829 OFFLINE   ThisIsRusko

ThisIsRusko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Time Online: 1d 22h 7m 6s

Posted 29 June 2017 - 06:07 PM

Honeymoon grew on me so much that it's a tie with BTD .... the instrumantals on this album are just perfection. the whole album is just so dreamy and summerly

• Jiggy, Volta and LOVE like this

The summers hot and i've been cold without you... https://www.instagram.com/thisisrusko/

#2830 OFFLINE   vodkaa

vodkaa

Don't Be A Bummer, Babe

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 627 posts
  • LocationWest Coast
  • Time Online: 8d 14h 5m 25s

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:48 PM

Same here. The verses play well with the chorus, and the bridge is so beautifully filled with anguish and self conflict. She really fills the track in with her vocals, brings it to life. 

Posted Image

#2831 OFFLINE   West Coast99

West Coast99

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 618 posts
  • LocationPortugal
  • Fan Since:2014
  • Time Online: 9d 15h 18m 25s

Posted 29 June 2017 - 09:53 PM

almost 2 years later and we realize that lana made a work of art , honeymoon is really an amazing album , aged better then wine i love this album so much hqdefault.jpg

• cashcomesquick, Jiggy, delreyfreak and 6 others like this

tumblr_ni1q4jVHeW1sgz3lto1_500.gif

#2832 OFFLINE   ThisIsRusko

ThisIsRusko

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Time Online: 1d 22h 7m 6s

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:38 PM

almost 2 years later and we realize that lana made a work of art , honeymoon is really an amazing album , aged better then wine i love this album so much hqdefault.jpg

This!

why is this thread not having a poll`?

• West Coast99 likes this

The summers hot and i've been cold without you... https://www.instagram.com/thisisrusko/

#2833 OFFLINE   Stargirl

Stargirl

I've been beautiful for a thousand years

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,387 posts
  • Locationelaborate mansion on the moon
  • Time Online: 134d 17h 21m 35s

Posted 30 June 2017 - 02:42 PM

Honeymoon (Post-Release and Discussion Thread) is alive and breathing
  • daytonadeath and LOVE like this

XwZcxeD.jpg tumblr_oo9nco1wpB1vm9106o2_400.jpgjoZYoIY.gif

#2834 OFFLINE   Clampigirl

Clampigirl

Rose garden wanderer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 965 posts
  • LocationSweden
  • Fan Since:Early 2013? Late 2012?
  • Time Online: 17d 5h 23m 45s

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:24 PM

I remember when I first listened to the album, I thought that the first half was better than the second (after the interlude), but now when I have listened to it so many times, I can't understand how I could think that. All of it is great, the tracklist has a great order. The only song I still don't really like is 24, but I can't point out what's wrong with it. I think I just don't like the way the chorus is sung, but whatever. If I'm in the mood, it quite good too.
I'm listening to the album now while traveling back to my uni town and I just came here to share my love for it, hehe. :3
  • cashcomesquick likes this

Sometimes I wake up in the morning to red, blue and yellow skies

#2835 ONLINE   cashcomesquick

cashcomesquick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,002 posts
  • Time Online: 41d 20h 40m 7s

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

I remember when I first listened to the album, I thought that the first half was better than the second (after the interlude), but now when I have listened to it so many times, I can't understand how I could think that. All of it is great, the tracklist has a great order. The only song I still don't really like is 24, but I can't point out what's wrong with it. I think I just don't like the way the chorus is sung, but whatever. If I'm in the mood, it quite good too.
I'm listening to the album now while traveling back to my uni town and I just came here to share my love for it, hehe. :3

It took me a while to fall in love with Swan Song. Initially, I couldn't stand it

#2836 OFFLINE   LOVE

LOVE

it's enough

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 732 posts
  • LocationDown on the West Coast...
  • Fan Since:July 2014
  • Time Online: 14d 19h 34m 46s

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:37 PM

easily her most listenable album. perfect for any mood, and absolutely timeless. i never once doubted this piece's perfection

• cashcomesquick, delreyfreak, Volta and 1 other like this

pin up girls at the roller derby jzMRoo.gif take me down to newark, new jersey

#2837 OFFLINE   evalionisameme

evalionisameme

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 902 posts
  • Time Online: 13d 18h 10m 34s

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

Religion is my favourite

#2838 OFFLINE   daytonadeath

daytonadeath

marxist tempter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 615 posts
  • LocationSão Paulo, Brazil
  • Fan Since:2011
  • Time Online: 34d 19h 11m 25s

Posted 02 July 2017 - 06:45 PM

Honeymoon (Post-Release and Discussion Thread) is alive and breathing

All her albums are "more alive" than LFL tbh

• cashcomesquick likes this

#2839 OFFLINE   TROPICUM

TROPICUM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  • Fan Since:2015
  • Time Online: 35d 3h 30m 2s

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:05 PM

This album will pass to be a classic in the future.

Such a good work of art  :flutter:

• Volta likes this
Posted Image

#2840 OFFLINE   AphroditeBaby

AphroditeBaby

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Time Online: 4d 10h 29m

Posted 02 July 2017 - 07:15 PM

As much as I love Honeymoon, I still have trouble relating to what I think the record is actually about... With Ultraviolence, it took me about a week to see a kind of bigger picture in the 11 tracks ( deluxe were JUST AS GOOD THOUGH!) but with Honeymoon, I still don't know. Is it about Love and Time? Fame? Obsession? Lana to me always has a vision about the story the record is telling, but shes not one to be like "This record is about ___" ya know? None of her albums are true concept albums or linear stories, but still.

Any ideas would be great. 

When I first heard Honeymoon, I did think it was better than UV though. To me, its a softer, more melancholy record. Like, to me, it inspires soft resignation, whereas Ultraviolence inspires a dark apathy. Salvatore is still one of her best tracks ever and totally unexpected for her. It should've got a video.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users