annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Wow..I 100% agree with everything you guys said @@IanadeIrey @@ivy . It's amazing that we still can discover stuff like this after almost 3 years from Honeymoons' release. Timeless.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

I was being a little cryptic there myself with my colourful quotation lmao  :oic:. Not sure if anyone noticed  :creep:

I did that because blue and pink are the colours she mentions in the song (male vs female?)

Ok so, I have this theory about MTWBT... I really wanted to share my thoughts with y'all and see if you guys have anything to add or have good reasons to dismiss my theory. There's a TL;DR at the end of my post for those who don't like to read so much. But here it goes:

I tried to decipher what the actual story is that's being told by analysing the personal pronouns. Like, who is the speaker and what is the speaker trying to say? (It's something I've learned to do during my literary analysis classes at uni)

As we all know, the song starts with:

Now, I was thinking: what if this is not a monologue, but rather a dialogue between two people? I think there are reasons to believe that this is a dialogue, and here's why:

First, the thing that stood out to me was that the blue and pink lyrics (see quoted lyrics above) are not consistently sung after each other, but they sometimes overlap. Which, to me, implies that there are two speakers, as you simply cannot say two things at the same time lol.

Second, I tried to look for clues in the music video if there are any reasons to believe that it could be a dialogue. And get this: we only see Lana when she sings the pink lines, not the blue ones. Every time the dialogue is sung, the video - very consistently - shifts between Lana (pink lines) and footage of "the boys" (blue lines) implying that they are the other speaker(s). 

Art is often about choices and this video really seems to complement the song in terms of making those choices. Which brings me to my final point. We don't see shifting footage when the dialogue is sung first. Why? I'm not sure why. The only thing I can think of is probably too obvious, but here's what I think: this part seems to be an introduction to the rest of the song, which is implied by the huge neon MTWBT sign (like a title page perhaps?). It's only after the sign that we see Lana for the first time in the video. And maybe the two girls implies that there are two speakers, but I can't really make that claim.

Sorry for the essay lmao. 

TL;DR:

MTWBT contains a dialogue, which is indicated by overlapping lyrics and shifting footage of Lana and "the boys". 

agreed 100%

It's "Blue Ribbons on ice" or "Were ribbons on knots"? I'm 100% sure she performed it as the second one on LA Tour

I pretty sure it's ''blue ribbons in knots''

I thought she had been saying “Blue ribbons on ice/we’re ribbons on ice” like Pabst Blue Ribbon; in TIWMUG, she says “Pabst blue ribbon on ice” so I thought it was plausible! Lol

Edit: Hmm, now that I think of it, with @@ivy ‘s post about males vs. females dialogue and the coyness of the song, maybe it is “blue ribbons on ice” as a callback to TIWMUG, as that song talks about “putting love first” so maybe MTWBT is the next step...?

It's "Blue Ribbons on ice" or "Were ribbons on knots"? I'm 100% sure she performed it as the second one on LA Tour

Good observation! I've listened to some of the performances and I think I must agree with you. I don't think it's either one or the other, as she sometimes uses different lyrics when she performs her songs live. I see it as a bonus insight lol.

I pretty sure it's ''blue ribbons in knots'' 

I think this is true.

I thought she had been saying “Blue ribbons on ice/we’re ribbons on ice” like Pabst Blue Ribbon; in TIWMUG, she says “Pabst blue ribbon on ice” so I thought it was plausible! Lol

Edit: Hmm, now that I think of it, with @ivy‘s post about males vs. females dialogue and the coyness of the song, maybe it is “blue ribbons on ice” as a callback to TIWMUG, as that song talks about “putting love first” so maybe MTWBT is the next step...?

I feel that I'm possibly taking it a bit too far, but maybe "Blue Ribbons in knots" could refer to both Pabst Blue Ribbon and this mathematical theory about ribbon knots. I mean, she speaks of trigonometry in TBD...

Good observation! I've listened to some of the performances and I think I must agree with you. I don't think it's either one or the other, as she sometimes uses different lyrics when she performs her songs live. I see it as a bonus insight lol.

I think this is true.

I feel that I'm possibly taking it a bit too far, but maybe "Blue Ribbons in knots" could refer to both Pabst Blue Ribbon and this mathematical theory about ribbon knots. I mean, she speaks of trigonometry in TBD...

Hmmm...this seems incredibly plausible; to me, the use of trigonometry in TBD being referred to as "not simple" is ironic, and it can be interpreted as a metaphor for a love triangle.

This part of that wikipedia article about ribbon knots really stood out to me: "...by cutting a slit in the disk and passing another part of the disk through the slit."

Maybe this is some sort of sexual connotation (?) regarding the very visual, lust driven attraction that Lana has for the boys/the boys have for Lana in the song? I feel like I could be taking this too far now lol, but I found that interesting! 

Hmmm...this seems incredibly plausible; to me, the use of trigonometry in TBD being referred to as "not simple" is ironic, and it can be interpreted as a metaphor for a love triangle.

This part of that wikipedia article about ribbon knots really stood out to me: "...by cutting a slit in the disk and passing another part of the disk through the slit."

Maybe this is some sort of sexual connotation (?) regarding the very visual, lust driven attraction that Lana has for the boys/the boys have for Lana in the song? I feel like I could be taking this too far now lol, but I found that interesting! 

I don't even know anymore lmao. I think we took it too far  :omfg2:

Edit: Maybe it's just another metaphor for timelessness. "...by cutting a slit in the disk and passing another part of the disk through the slit." This seems to create the shape of an eternity symbol in a three-dimensional space? 

I don't even know anymore lmao. I think we took it too far  :omfg2:

Edit: Maybe it's just another metaphor for timelessness. "...by cutting a slit in the disk and passing another part of the disk through the slit." This seems to create the shape of an eternity symbol in a three-dimensional space? 

We definitely did lmao!

I definitely think you're on to something now - I guess that can be applied to what I wrote in December about the timelessness of Honeymoon and Lana/Lizzy/Elizabeth coexisting throughout the album; Lana taking previously applied concepts or 'past personas' of herself and incorporating them into the present/future to further grow. 

We definitely did lmao!

I definitely think you're on to something now - I guess that can be applied to what I wrote in December about the timelessness of Honeymoon and Lana/Lizzy/Elizabeth coexisting throughout the album; Lana taking previously applied concepts or 'past personas' of herself and incorporating them into the present/future to further grow. 

Yes, agreed!

But the more we agree with each other, the crazier it gets haha. I think I'm going to have to put Honeymoon away for a bit for now  :toofunny:

Since I bought the vinyl last year this album has grown so much on me, I remember when it was first released. Tho I loved almost all songs, I used to prefer listening them as standalone tracks and not as an album bc I thought it didn't worked as an album.

Now I love it so much and wish Lana could do a honeymoon 2.0, it's such a classy and stylish album, the instrumentals are perfect and I would love to hear something like it again.

It took literally 1 year for me to like Terrence Loves You and now it's one of my fave Lana tracks, even Art Deco I like now

FREAK IS MUSIC VIDEO PERFECTION, IT BECAME MY FAVE TRACK ON ALBUM SINCE I LISTENED A SNIPPET 

tumblr_o2bzbfxPyW1svlqpoo5_400.gif

original.gif

I will never get over how exquisite Terrence Loves You, Honeymoon, The Blackest Day, Swan Song, Art Deco and Religion are. My favorite Lana record by miles.

tumblr_pne98wa26x1wk694yo1_500.gifv

"You can't be a muse and be happy, too.

You can't blacken the pages with Russian poetry and be happy." - Blue Banisters

I asked Asmodeus (the demon of lust) to make Miley Cyrus suffer. I am not happy with these new developments. After Miley rips off Lana's aesthetic, she bullies Lana into changing her release date. It is infuriating. 

I listened to Honeymoon backwards and damn, she wasn't lying when she said the album begins and ends with HM, such an interesting way to interpret the story hearing it in reverse

I listened to Honeymoon backwards and damn, she wasn't lying when she said the album begins and ends with HM, such an interesting way to interpret the story hearing it in reverse

Shit, I never thought of that. I know she said that but I never actually proceeded to listen to it backwards. seems interesting. Well, looks like I know how to spend my boring night now, lol 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Shit, I never thought of that. I know she said that but I never actually proceeded to listen to it backwards. seems interesting. Well, looks like I know how to spend my boring night now, lol 

It's kinda refreshing and really helped me understand what she was trying to say originally... Have fun  :P

Honeymoon is so lynchian in its interpretations and how it wraps around itself and detaches and reattaches to tell the same story (eg both HBTB and Swan Song are perhaps at their cores about hiding away)

FmgKWb8.gif?1     HNqlJGD.gif