annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

whenever someone mentions Salvatore i immediately sing in my head "salvatore you can deff be my baby blue" smh...
i'm about to have a listen to the album in the highest qual we have (if someone PMs me LOL), sooooo pumped, already in love with it. gonna listen to the whole thing start to finish

I'm just going to post my review here too bc why not

‘Honeymoon’ - Lana Del Rey - Track by Track Review

Honeymoon

An amazing opener to a amazing album. The title track from Lana’s fourth studio album really sets the tone for the rest of the album - chilling, haunting and beautiful. The subtle instrumental, the haunting vocals of the chorus and the thrilling ‘dark blue’ line make this song the perfect song it is. The bridge is a stand out element of this song. The instrumental picks up and Del Rey’s vocals become stronger while still holding the thrilling and vulnerable tone she held for the entire song. Just short of six minutes of pure musical heaven. 10/10.

Music to Watch Boys To

A stand out track from the album. One of my personal favourites. The song starts with Lana singing the chorus to the song completely a capella and it’s beautiful, but slightly unnecessary. The instruments used in the song are also amazing. The flute in the intro is a standout element of the entire album to me. The vocal effect used in the chorus perfectly reflects the theme of the song, and the song takes you away to paradise. 10/10.

Terrence Loves You

Without a doubt, Terrence Loves You is the most emotional song on Honeymoon. “I lost myself when I lost you” is such an emotional, yet powerful line and the production of the song perfectly reflects the themes portrayed through the lyrics. The bridge is definitely the highlight of the track for me, the song really picks up. The jazz influences in the song are also very noticeable, yet subtle. I really enjoyed listening to this song. 9/10.

God Knows I Tried

Another really good song. The production, as with all the other tracks on the album, is amazing. It again, reflects the song perfectly. The biggest setback of ‘God Knows I Tried’ is the repetitiveness of the line ‘God Knows I Tried’. The repetitive chorus, for me, makes this song very boring, and after a few listens, I was sick of it. 7/10.

High By The Beach

‘High By The Beach’ is where the album starts to switch it up a bit. The song is very different from any released Lana material out, which was very refreshing when the song first premiered, but I found that the song has gotten a bit old and repetitive after playing it around 150 times. It reminds me of a lot of Lana’s unreleased material, as it is fast paced, and almost hip-hop influenced. Another thing I personally love about this song is the sassy tone Lana portrays in it. In a lot of the other songs of the album, Lana begs for lovers to stay, or mourns about their departure from her life. In HBTB, however, she really changes it up a bit, saying a big ‘Fuck You’ to the media and her critics, especially through the line ‘The truth is, I never bought into your bullshit when you would pay tribute to me.’ A fantastic song that gets a bit repetitive after a while. 8.5/10.

Freak

‘Freak’ is a sultry, sexy track and is one of the highlights of the Honeymoon experience for me. The lead up to the head banging chorus is flawless. When the chorus finally hits, you can’t help but want to get up and dance. Then the verses come around and set everything back into the typical Lana style, slow, haunting and beautiful. One thing that really annoys me about this song is the ‘blue’ line in the backing track. It literally sounds like Del Rey is drowning and trying to say ‘blue’ underwater. 9.5/10.

Art Deco

‘Art Deco’ is a fantastic track. It sounds heavenly, and makes the listener feel like they are slow dancing in a dream. The production of the chorus is also terrific it reminds me of HBTB, seeming almost trap-influenced. Del Rey also takes on the sassy persona teased in ‘High By the Beach’, and I really enjoy it. 10/10.

Burnt Norton (Interlude)

There’s really not much to say about this song. The song comprises of Lana reciting a poem with her eloquent, dreamy speaking voice layered over a haunting instrumental with sound effects. I love this so much, it makes me feel like I am dreaming. 10/10.

Religion

The production of ‘Religion’ really brings me back to Lana’s ‘Born To Die’ era and I really like it. Her vocals are incredible in this song, and it continues the theme of the past two songs, making it feel like the listener is in a dream in the chorus. The verses have very minimal production, and this fits the song perfectly, unlike on MTWBT, where it seemed tacked on for no reason. 10/10.

Salvatore

‘Salvatore’ is definitely my favourite piece of music on Lana’s new record. It’s the most different song on the album, and I wish there were more like it. The production is kind of strange in the verses but it fits perfectly here. Hearing Lana sing in other languages is honestly the best thing I’ve ever heard in my life, so hearing her sing little parts of Italian here make me so happy. This song really brings me to another place, and it makes me feel very happy. 10/10.

The Blackest Day

‘The Blackest Day’ is the longest song on Honeymoon. The six minute and seven second affair is done very well. Seeing a song over six minutes on the Honeymoon tracklist made me a bit worries, as her last song over six minutes (Cruel World) was very, very repetitive and got old very quickly. I am happy to say, however, that this song does not suffer from this. The bridge is one of my favourite things to ever happen to music. It’s a little bit faster in tempo than a lot of the other songs on the album in the chorus, and this helps the listener to keep engaged for the six minutes of perfection that is ‘The Blackest Day’. 10/10

’24’ sounds like something out of a James Bond movie. Listening to the song makes me really question why Sam Smith was chosen to sing the song for the new movie, but that’s irrelevant to the topic at hand. This song is beautiful. It’s slow and haunting, which fits perfectly with the rest of the album. The chorus’ production is the best production in the entire album. Definitely in my top three favourites from the album. 10/10.

Swan Song

This is where the album starts to go downhill for me. I do really like ‘Swan Song’ but I feel like it is a bit too slow and boring for me. It is very haunting, though, and I can definitely understand why it’s on the album, because it fits so well. Her vocals are amazing, but I just didn’t really feel as strong a connection with the song as I did with other songs on the album. 8/10.

Don’t Let Me Be Misunderstood

I don’t know about this one. I’ve never really been a fan of Lana’s covers and I can’t decide whether I love or hate this one. It’s chilling, and the instrumental is haunting but I don’t really feel any emotion coming out of the song. It just sounds like Lana has walked into the studio, recorded it, and walked out. I feel like she didn’t really put much into the song, and that’s why it’s not the best on the album. It’s still incredible, but not the best closer. I do appreciate Lana keeping up with the tradition of having one cover on each album, though. 8/10.

Overall, this album scores a 9.3/10. My favourite album from Lana. As a whole, the album is so incredibly emotionally draining, dreamy and haunting, I love it so much.

FzytWEW.png

Omfg how was I sleeping on The Blackest Day, the bridge is everything :oprah:

Yesterday was exhausting and still groggy today, so my thoughts are coming out bit by bit. Maybe I'll post something longer later

party.gif?w=1100