annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

310 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

I think it's the other way around though, since swan song was written before HBTB which was one of the last tracks written for Honeymoon 

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

i forgot how fucking transcendent this record is.

i'm listening right now, and its just so so so good

I regularly listen to a lot of tracks from Honeymoon but now I really took the time to listen to it from beginning to end with headphones on and it’s magic! I truly don’t know how she did it.

It’s surprising how many new things I’m finding out now that I’m carefully listening to every note and words: like at the end of God Knows I Tried you can hear the sound some type of birds are making as they’re flying away.

I pretend I’m not hurt and go about the world like I’m having fun

Anyways, what does she mean when she sings “Everything you do is elusive to even your honey dew”? I have yet to comprehend the meaning behind this line lol

Anyways, what does she mean when she sings “Everything you do is elusive to even your honey dew”? I have yet to comprehend the meaning behind this line lol

"honey dew" is a pet name, she's saying everything you do is difficult to understand even to her.

giphy.gif

"honey dew" is a pet name, she's saying everything you do is difficult to understand even to her.

so that’s her referring herself as his “honey dew” which is a pet name?

HM was the third uppercut in her discography. 

BTD was a revelation; Paradise cemented and expanded her universe; UV was so different (and such a clever move; you can't duplicate a masterpiece, the only sane way to still surprise everyone is to go in a complete opposite direction) and raw; HM was almost UV's opposite (so ethereal and airy and luminescent and soooo timeless). She knocked me out of my shoes with that one. This album features some of her best vocals and some of her most poignant heartaches (The Blackest Day is one of my top 5 for sure). It is my favorite from her. Just bravo. 

Perhaps my favorite line on this record is from HBTB "Anyone can start again/ not through love but through revenge/ through the fire we're born again/ peace by vengeance brings the end"  I have probably scribbled it a thousand times in notebooks.

Honeymoon will always be THAT record for me which is ironic bc it didn't do much for me on first listen like BTD, PAradise, or UV.  However, in the drought for more Lana music in between HM and LfL, I ended up playing the album what feels like a million times. almost always in entirety. It was definitely a slow grower on me but I now appreciate more than her other works (which I also love.) 

The sunlit noir aesthetic does so much for this record. I think it also has the most depth and refinement of all her work. It truly is a Manus Opus. I think it's a slow grower for that reason: there's a lot to unravel in this record. Every time you listen there is something new you notice, understand or appreciate. It's the closest record music wise to the feeling I get reading the great classics of literature> Sometimes they are slow to start but they move towards an epic and timeless climax.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg

Perhaps my favorite line on this record is from HBTB "Anyone can start again/ not through love but through revenge/ through the fire we're born again/ peace by vengeance brings the end"  I have probably scribbled it a thousand times in notebooks.

Honeymoon will always be THAT record for me which is ironic bc it didn't do much for me on first listen like BTD, Paradise, or UV.  However, in the drought for more Lana music in between HM and LfL, I ended up playing the album what feels like a million times. almost always in entirety. It was definitely a slow grower on me but I now appreciate more than her other works (which I also love.) 

The sunlit noir aesthetic does so much for this record. I think it also has the most depth and refinement of all her work. It truly is a Manus Opus. I think it's a slow grower for that reason: there's a lot to unravel in this record. Every time you listen there is something new you notice, understand or appreciate. It's the closest record music wise to the feeling I get reading the great classics of literature> Sometimes they are slow to start but they move towards an epic and timeless climax.

Someone on FB (can't remeber who though :\) had an interesting theory about Lana's discography, forming a cycle of some sort. BTD \ Paradise is the introduction; UV is her descent to hell ; HM is her rebirth and LFL is the state before crossing the threshold, before change happens. 

Maybe this is why so many of us love HM: though still sad, we hear some hope in those melodies. The line from HBTB embodies that perfectly. 

Someone on FB (can't remeber who though :\) had an interesting theory about Lana's discography, forming a cycle of some sort. BTD \ Paradise is the introduction; UV is her descent to hell ; HM is her rebirth and LFL is the state before crossing the threshold, before change happens. 

Maybe this is why so many of us love HM: though still sad, we hear some hope in those melodies. The line from HBTB embodies that perfectly. 

Wow, that's really interesting! Do you think those lines refer to all of her past albums?

Anyone can start again = BTD (Lizzy Grant becoming Lana Del Rey?)
Not through love, but through revenge  = Paradise (don't know about this line, though)
Through the fire we're born again = UV (Album is filled with references to fire + "Thank you Dan Auerbach for bringing fire back into my life")
Peace by vengeance brings the end = Honeymoon?

Idk. I'm probably overanalysing again...

Wow, that's really interesting! Do you think those lines refer to all of her past albums?

Anyone can start again = BTD (Lizzy Grant becoming Lana Del Rey?)

Not through love, but through revenge = Paradise (don't know about this line, though)

Through the fire we're born again = UV (Album is filled with references to fire + "Thank you Dan Auerbach for bringing fire back into my life")

Peace by vengeance brings the end = Honeymoon?

Idk. I'm probably overanalysing again...

That does make sense actually. With HM, she truly secured her reputation, being respected (most of the time) by the music industry, seeing her as a force to be reckoned with. Maybe this is her « revenge ».

I love that. It fits because HM itself is a chiasis like that (a chiasis, also known as ring composition where the story mirrors itself throughout and goes through the phases you mentioned. It's why HM is the beginning and the end as She said. Her MInd.)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/59/40/90/5940903240da03ab6f8c1a9c79a31773.jpg