annedauphine

Honeymoon - Post-Release Discussion Thread + Poll

Honeymoon  

300 members have voted

1. 1. What are your favourite tracks from Honeymoon?

• Honeymoon
    • Music to Watch Boys to
    • Terrence Loves You
    • God Knows I Tried
    • High by the Beach
    • Freak
    • Art Deco
    • Burnt Norton
    • Religion
    • Salvatore
    • The Blackest Day
    • Swan Song
    • Don't Let Me be Misunderstood

Aside from West Coast and really being an avid listener to her stuff, I think I've mostly missed the HM era here on the forum, but ohmygod lemme just romanticize this record. Maybe because the weather's been finally heating up after a period of glum weather (which is still pretty great, a nice break actually) but the record's getting so easy to just listen to all over again. 

The dreaminess of the title track, and how haunting it is, wrapped up in that old hollywood glamour 
MTWBT perfect for sunglasses checking out other guys at the beach 
TLY, I usually go to these science museums round the city, have to do that again 
The drama behind GKIT and so many other tracks 
HBTB, 'nuff said 
Freak, even if the music video was like a third of girls wafting in the water, then ART DECO
The collected disparity of Religion, and how perfect Salvatore is, while eating tangerines by the water 
The renewing energy of TBD
The darkness of Swan Song, and the cover just ending things
Burnt Norton was oddly calming and 24 was great for the latter part of the record, as a kind of prep closer 

The pre-listening party at UO, the adventures that the record lowkey spawned. The romanticism, the strennnngtth, the cohesiveness, how it's the most natural sounding to Lana- Lana record there is w/o being overbearing. Just- wow 

UV/Honeymoon

Is Art Deco about parties in the 1920s? Cause wasn't Art deco an actual fashion influence back then? And she sings "a little party never hurt no one" and that's one of th songs from the Great Gatsby? Idk, just a passing thought.

Is Art Deco about parties in the 1920s? Cause wasn't Art deco an actual fashion influence back then? And she sings "a little party never hurt no one" and that's one of th songs from the Great Gatsby? Idk, just a passing thought.

It totally feels influenced. Also the lyric "You want more, why" reminds me a lot of The Great Gatsby, like how Gatsby had tons of money and a huge house, but still wanted Daisy

I DON'T LIKE LANA ANYMORE

tumblr_mjladggtVx1rdgz31o1_400.gif

PLS DELETE MY ACCOUNT

I'm in the mood for HBTB and I'm keeping it on repeat because IT'S SO GOOD, AAAAAHH!! I freaking LOVE this song so much, ugh!  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:  :defeated:

LIGHTS :trisha:

CAMERA :trisha:

ACCIÓN :trisha:

I'LL DO IT ON MY OWN :omg:

48K6p1K.gif pyg088L.png

OUR BABY HONEYMOON TURNS 4 YEARS TODAY!

Wow time really flies doesn't it? Share your thoughts on it on this special day

Truly one of her best songs, the pulsating cello, the haunting vocals, gorgeous strings, the subtle piano, they all come together to form a definitive masterpiece, plus it was released on my b-day ( :creep:) so that's on that, and btw the music video might be one of her best homemade videos ever.

8nl2OpX.png

Happy birthday Honeymoon!

I've been wanting to make a great analysis post on the album, but haven't had enough time to do so. So I'll just post my initial notes that I wrote down track-by-track:

Keep in mind the following things that's she's said about Honeymoon in NME (2015), because it gives it a different perspective:

What kind of place in your life were you at while writing ‘Honeymoon’? What was going on for you personally as you wrote these songs?

“I guess the first thing that was going on was that I really wanted to have one more record out that was able to speak for me, even if I wasn’t in a place where I felt like speaking about myself. Aside from that I was happy and not really feeling like the album needed to be too cathartic. It felt like a good time to have fun with some elements of psychedelia and surrealism, production-wise.”

In other words, the album is supposed to be very descriptive, she's not trying to 'work through stuff'; just telling how it is.

Honeymoon
"where the record begins and ends"

Music To Watch Boys To
"putting on my music while I'm watching the boys" --> the paparazzi / lies can buy eternity (the deceptions of fame --> once famous, there's no way of becoming 'unfamous')

Terrence Loves You
(haven't gotten to this one yet, lol)

God Knows I Tried
"sometimes I wake up in the morning..." / I feel free when I see no one and nobody knows my name (her real name --> foreshadowing retirement)

High By The Beach
"boy look at you" using 'boy' to refer to paparazzi / burden of fame / she doesn't feel free

Freak
becoming famous (aka a 'freak') / leaving new york / come to la 

Art Deco
in new york / "a little party never hurt no one, that's why it's alright" / “born to be free” —> not born to be famous

Burnt Norton (Interlude)
"time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future"

Religion
"it never was about the party or the clubs" / 'fame is my religion' / even when the storms come, in the eye we'll stay (in the public eye) --> Cherry "and you just stay lined up"

Salvatore
she doesn't need to be saved / her saviour can wait / she is enjoying all things temporary (ice cream, her tan) / “catch me if you can working on my tan” she is on the beach

The Blackest Day
"don't wanna talk about the things to come" there is no future / loss of a loved one / looking for love in all the wrong places (alcohol, fame) --> the day she realised this aint it

"there's only 24 hours in a day and half as many ways (12) for you to lie to me" the 12th track on the album / the blackest day also has 24 hours / it's not enough to "lie like you lie or love like you love" --> fame can be a blessing and a curse, it can deceive but also be amazing

Swan Song
"say goodnight to the life and the world you knew" --> the day has ended / just be free (reference to GKIT) —> “I feel free when I see no one and nobody knows my name”

Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
/

Overall the analysis is incomplete, but I thought I'd share some of the notes I had made a while ago. I'll come back to it later

OUR BABY HONEYMOON TURNS 4 YEARS TODAY!

Wow time really flies doesn't it? Share your thoughts on it on this special day

Truly one of her best songs, the pulsating cello, the haunting vocals, gorgeous strings, the subtle piano, they all come together to form a definitive masterpiece, plus it was released on my b-day ( :creep:) so that's on that, and btw the music video might be one of her best homemade videos ever.

Omg happy fucking birthday to probably the best song on the album. I love Honeymoon so much, the live versions are extremely beautiful and enchanting as well. It's just amazing, one of my top 10 favourite Lana songs.

~~~My body is stuck in the ocean ugcs3%2Fv3%2Fproject_attachments%2FGC6xU My mind is lost in the universe*** 

Had an incredibly, almost magical day today. Actually went for another hike round the neighborhood, stayed a bit longer than anticipated, but it was just- amazing. I mean, well. Alright so I was walking uphill and the title track came on, and it was chillingly beautiful, as I walked up. Sunset painting everything in this soft yellow. I get up to the top of the mountain/hill and by that time, everything's turning orange. I see a flock of ravens before that too walking up, then blue jays at the top, and butterflies just flitting around, monarchs, and white ones (can't specify atm). TLY made me incredibly sad, it sort of almost darkened things up and- whatever. But it was just so beautiful, it was like, living in this still motion kind of moment, where the light was changing color right before my eyes, the animals had this this glorious glow, even their silhouettes were so beautiful. The dirt was this rich tangerine, and I could see several cities at a distance at every turn, and the neighborhoods close by were drenched in a pink tinge, and the skies. Just. It looked like a meld of colors you'd see at the beach, or just like the range of fire even- nitrogen blue's, pink, red, orange, and the yellow yolk of the sun, indigo too. Was in AWE. 

GKIT was almost like a cry for help, and Salvatore actually fit in pretty well in the soft drama of the surroundings. I actually cried a little bit. Then I started playing Love from LFL to try feeling better, but goooooooooood. That was like some kind of portal, the fucking blissful sadness. Was almost like a dream. 

Some photos I took, didn't with the animals, didn't think I'd do the moment justice: 

2n8u9uq.jpg2uy1012.jpg142wx0p.jpg2ue7h1d.jpg

UV/Honeymoon

I thought the HBTB video was too uneventful when it first came out, but now I think it's kind of underrated?

my favorite shots: 

giphy.gif

tumblr_inline_nvb2xoU34P1rgat26_500.gif

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

The gun is fucking iconic. And I love the feel the video gives off, this urgency of being watched/stalked. and then this bitch just shoots it down and it blows up into a million pieces. "Anyone can start again, not through love but through revenge, through the fire reborn again, peace by vengeance brings the end" MASTERPIECE 

I think this album will always be underrated. It is just so beautiful and so many of the songs take me places. The Blackest Day will probably always be my favourite (from the album and also out of all her songs). 

The Honeymoon sampler visually captures the essence of the album IMHO. I've always thought of HM as the only album (to date) that Lana is the heart and soul of and I at least assume had the fewest changes from the original idea. LFL was 'for the fans' and we know it changed a lot. UV was heavily influenced by Dan Auerbach and was chopped and changed from the original vision (although it worked), BTD and Paradise (Well probably more BTD) were such a push to make it after Video Games. As far as we know Honeymoon is Lana, doing what she wanted. There are almost no leaks, no outtakes that we know of and what came out was essentially what Lana described it as (despite the change in title). 

Having said that, I do think High By The Beach was slapped on at the last minute in order to produce a possible 'hit' single. 

578c68b668f2f515fc750b6860a1213b--torch- Ever since my baby went away... its been the blackest day..... its been the blackest day

i'm so happy for honeymoon, it no longer holds the title of her worst album cover to date

so proud of you sweetie 

edit: okay i was being harsh on nfr's cover... honeymoon youre still the worst... but not far off

Edited by West Coast

Really liked the original idea of the record being called Music to Watch Boys to... Honeymoon is okay too because the title track is fantastic but

source.gif