Sign in to follow this  
ilovetati

Honeymoon Reviews and Metascore

wow, I really dont know what to say after reading that article. actually its kind of depressing and sad.

but no one cares i guess..

referencing the NYtimes article naachoboy posted..

But i think they are being nice lol. Saying she's in charge now, that the production isnt drowning her

it kinda had elements of both positive and negative in it, hard to say really, unless we could read the mind of the writer,

hard to see the tone of something sometimes, i dont think it was bad, just a little strange, im probably over thinking, anaylsing it..

:facepalm:

I just saw this review and posted it in an update before I saw it was already here. I think it is both as you say. I honestly feel like the writer was giving her credit especially when applied to production like nachoo said but I also felt some slight hints of sarcasm in there as well. Maybe they are confused on how they actually feel about the album because it wasn't a very decisive piece. The review I mean, not the album.

Once a careful invention, she is now glassy-eyed and glassy-voiced, too cool to care. The result is something like a dog that, when its leash is tugged, simply lies on the ground and shuts its eyes: basking in the sun, feeding off its warmth, never giving an inch.

This is authentic frontier gibberish. 

tumblr_ou8g76nUPp1ts8ukho1_250.png

That NY Times review was one long left-handed compliment. Basically saying that it's great how her apathy and lifelessness keeps her from caring about all the bullshit she used to get angry about before. It's like when people tell Mindy Kaling how inspiring it is that she is a famous woman who's fat and not that hot.

149o3h3.jpg

I just saw this review and posted it in an update before I saw it was already here. I think it is both as you say. I honestly feel like the writer was giving her credit especially when applied to production like nachoo said but I also felt some slight hints of sarcasm in there as well. Maybe they are confused on how they actually feel about the album because it wasn't a very decisive piece. The review I mean, not the album.

Yes DLT! you said it better then me.. i agree.. :)

That NY Times review was one long left-handed compliment. Basically saying that it's great how her apathy and lifelessness keeps her from caring about all the bullshit she used to get angry about before. It's like when people tell Mindy Kaling how inspiring it is that she is a famous woman who's fat and not that hot.

you too BB91 well said.. thats kind of what i saw too..

The guy from the NYT loves Lana. It's a very positive review. "Because of this, 'Honeymoon' (Interscope), her third major-label album, achieves a sublimity missing from her first two...Perhaps 'Honeymoon' is the first great prison album of the 21st century, her jail being celebrity and the scrutiny that comes with it."

"Together, they have arrived at a solution to a problem that bedeviled Ms. Del Rey on her first two albums, 'Born to Die' from 2012, and 'Ultraviolence' from last year. On 'Born to Die' especially, she was thwarted by the ambitions of her producers. Ms. Del Rey was still unsteady as a character, and the gorgeous, lush production often highlighted how fragmented she was. Now she is steady, and resolute too. And so the music stays out of the way, ranging from melancholy to aspirated but never overwhelming..."

And extremely positive from Boston Herald as well: "Obviously obtuse, hauntingly beautiful and a perfect end to Rey’s best release yet."

I read The Telegraph and The Guardian before seeing them here, thanks for posting. They were pretty good 4 out of 5 is better than what I was expecting. They also seem to be sharing similar themes.

I just read the NME and the way the score was listed was a bit confusing. 8/5, I wonder if they meant 8/10. Either way it was very positive!

Here are a couple others:

Digital Spy (track/track) http://www.digitalspy.com/music/review/a669045/lana-del-reys-honeymoon-album-a-track-by-track-first-listen-review.html#~poDtRJprY9pNqK

GigWise http://www.gigwise.com/reviews/102852/lana-del-rey-honeymoon-new-album-review