RetroSound

'Ride' - Music Video Released

Guest Maru the Cat

(The headdress is not a fashion statement. It's a symbol full of meaning the way she uses it here.)

I think I know how you interpreted it; care to explain your thoughts on it anyway? :P (I don't want to put words in your mouth). While I recognize the symbolic value of the headdress, I still think it was in poor taste. :\

I thought the video was beautiful. I liked the unconventional romantic leads. I still LOL at the "I believe in the country America used to be" because that's just fucking stupid. I need Lana to explain that one to me.

I think I know how you interpreted it; care to explain your thoughts on it anyway? :P (I don't want to put words in your mouth). While I recognize the symbolic value of the headdress, I still think it was in poor taste. :\

It's hard to put into words. The woman she portrays is so beyond concerns of political correctness it seems almost absurd to pick it apart. The first shot of her wearing it, she's obviously drunk. And she's also wearing a "Buttwiser" t-shirt. And she's just messing around having fun... But she keeps it on. Because it's sort of part of who she is. A nomadic queen, of herself anyway.

I don't know what was in her mind when she chose it as a symbol, (nor am I an expert on Native American culture) so I don't pretend to understand exactly what she "meant" by it. I only know how I responded to it when I saw it.

39150648115_3584eac590_o.png

I thought the video was beautiful. I liked the unconventional romantic leads.

crybaby.gif

I still LOL at the "I believe in the country America used to be" because that's just fucking stupid. I need Lana to explain that one to me.

Yeah, I thought the same thing!

I don't care that Lana smokes. But smoking at a gas station? That's just fucking irresponsible. :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

When I see that part, I was like: bwahhahah..!

She was like:

DEAL

photo-76.jpg

..but believe me when I say that the surveillance we live under is the highest privilege compared to how we treat the rest of the world.

Guest Maru the Cat

Ooops, well then I got something entirely different out of it! I have to rewatch that part. :P

I do think she chose the worst part of the song to wear the headdress, but it was also the most effective part to wear it as well.

The woman she portrays is so beyond concerns of political correctness it seems almost absurd to pick it apart.

Political correctness? It's not about being politically correct, it's about having respect. I don't know. I just feel very strongly about this. The city I live in has the highest population of Aboriginals in the world. I see the most disgusting racism, I see a proud people that are still suffering from the effects of colonialism, broken promises, residential schools -- and if they live on a reservation, a standard of living comparable to those in third-world countries... I am constantly exposed to it. Native issues are not something that I see once in a while when I'm flipping past a news channel, it's something I see every fucking single day just living in my city. It's just very, very sad to me. :(

Carmen, Carmen staying up till morning... only seventeen but she walks the streets so mean. It's alarming honestly how charming she can be, relying on the kindness of strangers, fooling everyone, telling them she's having fun. Street walk at night and a star by day, she laughs like god, her mind's like a diamond, like lightning, ohh, like lightning. And that's the little story of the girl you know.

That video is like the visual version of Carmen.

Gogo Dancer, Mermaid Motel, Trash, Carmen.. Lana is kinda obsessed with this theme. I'm glad she did something for it. She's finally able to share her vision, the way she has always imagined (or lived), for other people to see.

up45I.gif

Ooops, well then I got something entirely different out of it! I have to rewatch that part. :P

I do think she chose the worst part of the song to wear the headdress, but it was also the most effective part to wear it as well.

Political correctness? It's not about being politically correct, it's about having respect. I don't know. I just feel very strongly about this. The city I live in has the highest population of Aboriginals in the world. I see the most disgusting racism, I see a proud people that are still suffering from the effects of colonialism, broken promises, residential schools -- and if they live on a reservation, a standard of living comparable to those in third-world countries... I am constantly exposed to it. Native issues are not something that I see once in a while when I'm flipping past a news channel, it's something I see every fucking single day just living in my city. It's just very, very sad to me. :(

I didn't mean PC in a bad way. I think of PC concerns as something that can teach us to have greater respect for each other (except when it does the opposite. It's complicated.) You're absolutely right that it's important to be sensitive to native cultures and the people in them. But maybe Lana's being more imperfectly sensitive than callous. Idk though; I know I could stand to be more educated in this area myself.

I don't care that Lana smokes. But smoking at a gas station? That's just fucking irresponsible. :imbeingsarcasticbitch2:

:lmao:

But seriously, that was a masterpiece. I teared up during the monologue.

MkWI4Ns.png

I still LOL at the "I believe in the country America used to be" because that's just fucking stupid. I need Lana to explain that one to me.

Maybe she means what America used to be for her. Like all her memories there. Maybe America just represents her past

And can someone please expain to me how wearing a this headdress could be considered racist? I genuinely don't get it.

Long hair, Lana that's my bitch

I don't like it right off the bat but I'm going to re-watch until I do lol

Rme @ whoever said it was better than BTD tbh + at the indian headdress scene (pissed its during the fucking crazy part, now I can't gif it)

She looked so beautiful in it though and it raises even more questions. I may have ordered a buttweiser shirt :diva:

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***

Guest Maru the Cat

I didn't mean PC in a bad way. I think of PC concerns as something that can teach us to have greater respect for each other (except when it does the opposite. It's complicated.) You're absolutely right that it's important to be sensitive to native cultures and the people in them. But maybe Lana's being more imperfectly sensitive than callous. Idk though; I know I could stand to be more educated in this area myself.

Lana was definitely not being callous (or at least, wasn't intending to be) -- although others WILL think that, mark my words. I'm really glad we can have a meaningful discussion about this. :3 (And not resort to using erroneous examples of "Arabians" and turbans + "Princess of China" and geishas to make a point... well, he actually unintentionally proved my point, but whatever).

I took issue with Lana singing, "I'm tired of feeling like I'm FUCKING CRAZY" while drinking/appearing to be intoxicated (Natives are genetically predisposed to alcoholism, this is a HUGE concern regarding native issues), she was BRANDISHING A GUN, looking wild-eyed, like a ~stereotypical Indiun~~, the lyric she sung ("fucking crazy") is how whites have referred to natives for years, and still do in some areas...

I looked back and tried to form some greater meaning from it -- perhaps Lana was trying to compare herself to the Natives in terms of being misunderstood by the ~majority~ (Europeans couldn't fathom the nomadic way of life, a lack of "private property" in native culture in comparison to Lana's "special snowflake syndrome" ~I am so different and unusual from everyone else~) but even then, that is REALLY reaching and still isn't excusable. I don't think that was Lana's intent though and I'm glad -- I'd rather there be no apparent meaning (not that perpetuating stereotypes is ever a good thing) than some audacious scene comparing the feeling of ~being misunderstood.~ Lana's not that stupid.

At least, I hope not.

O _ O

LANA'S EYEBROWS ARE PERFECT

(i have a weird thing for eyebrows loll)

So I'm not the only one...

*Insert awesome and creative photo of Lana with added photoshops effects here*

If people are deliberately trying to offend a race then yes that's bad. 'Not knowing' the implications (if any), or not intending them cruelly, is quite a bit different to being deliberately offensive/disrespectful/insensitive. And if she is a closet biggot i doubt she'd have hinted at that fact in a music video.

lanasigfinal_zpsfd0fc6ee.png

If people are deliberately trying to offend a race then yes that's bad. 'Not knowing' the implications (if any), or not intending them cruelly, is quite a bit different to being deliberately offensive/disrespectful/insensitive. And if she is a closet biggot i doubt she'd have hinted at that fact in a music video.

Ignorance is not an excuse imo..

*** People call me crazy but I'm in demand ***