Sitar

1949 is absolutely one of my most favorite LDR songs! It just feels so classic and so human. It makes me feel like I'm truly experiencing a journey of two people through the lense of someone else. I love very dreamy songs and 1949 is very dreamy.

I definitely agree it has a basis in Lolita. Particularly the lines of "jailbreak" "we're gonna see it all before he says goodbye." There's also that obvious an older/younger binary in the relationship reminscent of the story.  Motels, traveling, and the simple material pleasures of life, it's a very fun song with a melancholy feel (How, Lana, can you do that?)

I think that Mermaid Hotel (another one of my all time favorites) has a very similar feel to it in regards to the relationship dynamic although its melody and beat is very different. It is also, in my opinion, told from a less "childlike" perspective while still having that same sore of dreaminess to it.

7hoAGKP.jpg?1

It's a gorgeous song. I play it often in the morning when I'm just out of my bed. It gives me a warm feeling and makes me happy.

And it gives you also the feeling like Lana is standing next to you when singing this song.

She feels so close but there are more songs where you feel her so close. What a voice.

Love this song :smile2:

love this song :giveup:

What do you love about it?

I think it sounds like no other. Really unique, and love it how she sings "We gonna party like it's 1949" it just sounds amazing

What do you love about it?

I think it sounds like no other. Really unique, and love it how she sings "We gonna party like it's 1949" it just sounds amazing

"Daddy dearest, you know how I like to take trips

Pops, first stop at the K-Mart
Buy me my peach lip-gloss
Cigarettes and lollipops"

i love the way that portion is sung, it just flows so well. yea its unique as well, its just a fave for me tbh  :thankyou:

How exactly does one 'Party like it's 1949' ? 

What is the significance of 1949 is that when Lolita was set? I couldn't find anything on wikipedia

I'm actually reading Lolita right now, and 1949 was part of the time H.H. and Lolita travel across the USA  to pretty much just visit a bunch of places. Partying like it's 1949 I guess refers to living life on the run. (Which we know Lana is obsessed with)

How exactly does one 'Party like it's 1949' ? 

What is the significance of 1949 is that when Lolita was set? I couldn't find anything on wikipedia

Well have you ever heard "party like it's 1999"? I assume she was playing off of that but making it more retro to fit her aesthetic.

Yea, but I'm not entirely sure how you party like its 1999 either :P

I was going to post a YouTube video of Prince's song "1999", but then I remembered, oh yeah, it's Prince. :nopartylikeits1949: :noparty:

[interesting and unrelated side note: Prince somehow is able to not allow ANY of his recordings on YouTube. Go ahead and try to find one Prince studio recording on YT.]

tumblr_mhs73q4yRD1qll34mo1_500.gif

Stalking you has sorta become like my occupation.

Someone please look at this for me,

In my mind it's just that there is no way its "Blue LA Carte Docks", it just doesn't sound like it, plus that doesn't even make any sense....

------

I think it's 'Blue lake, charter docks"